Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

bianchi model identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-21, 04:10 PM
vintageaddict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all! New vintage enthusiast here!

I'm looking for help in identifying this vintage (seller claims it is) Bianchi, album link with images is below.

imgur.com/a/QKdZqhS

All help is appreciated, I've never seen a tange cro mo decal like the one on this bike, it only states "tange cro mo special tubing".

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: now looking for help in identifying the Campagnalo drive train on this Bianchi (album link below) , and confirming the model of the Bianchi bike, please see the newest thread posts!

imgur.com/a/EzJtyvp#DMpzDBD

Last edited by vintageaddict; 07-26-21 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-24-21, 04:26 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by vintageaddict
Hi all! New vintage enthusiast here!

I'm looking for help in identifying this vintage (seller claims it is) Bianchi, album link with images is below.

imgur.com/a/QKdZqhS

All help is appreciated, I've never seen a tange cro mo decal like the one on this bike, it only states "tange cro mo special tubing".
Hello and welcome to the forums. This is a HOT MESS! The frame seems to be a 90ish mountain bike (MYB) or more likely a lowe end “all terrain bike” (ATB). Someone looks to be trying to run 700c or 27” wheels instead of 26” MTB wheels. I can’t really make out the model name. The tubing sticker is normal for the Asian made Bianchis using Bianchi Special tubing made by Tange. The components? WOW. I can’t make heads or tails of the rear derailleur but I am betting very little is original to the frame. Those Mafac Racers are nice brakes but this should have cantilever brakes on

it.https://imgur.com/a/QKdZqhS

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-24-21, 05:10 PM
vintageaddict

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Bianchigirll !

What about this Bianchi, are the photos in the below album enough to narrow down which Piaggio era model it was?

imgur.com/a/ayqgn8Q

From what I can gather, I think it was made in Japan, and came from a lower end line of models with high tensile steel? Suntour cyclone derailers, crank looks like it says 'sugino gs'
Old 07-24-21, 05:40 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Thanks Bianchigirll !

What about this Bianchi, are the photos in the below album enough to narrow down which Piaggio era model it was?

imgur.com/a/ayqgn8Q

From what I can gather, I think it was made in Japan, and came from a lower end line of models with high tensile steel? Suntour cyclone derailers, crank looks like it says 'sugino gs'
Are these bikes in Canada? I think this one is a ‘81 Limited but maybe with a replacement crankset. Most US bikes didn’t have a chrome fork so unless this is Canadian the fork is a replacement

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-24-21, 05:50 PM
vintageaddict

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Are these bikes in Canada? I think this one is a ‘81 Limited but maybe with a replacement crankset. Most US bikes didn’t have a chrome fork so unless this is Canadian the fork is a replacement
Yep, these bikes are in Canada!
Old 07-24-21, 06:02 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,122 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
These are almost certainly not US market bikes, do you think? That lettering on the first one looks other-countryish... New Zealand? One of those one-off MTBs? Cervino, Maxx or something?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 07-24-21, 06:31 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Co-op Kludge

I'm only seeing one bike, the dark green one with a black fork.

That one has all the hallmarks of a bike that was cobbled together with a collection of parts from a bike co-op???

The tubing sticker says Tange Chro-Mo but it could have gas pipe wall thickness tubes. The dropouts are stamped steel which is an indicator of a lower priced bike. The fork doesn't match which is an indicator of a replacement...

My question about a frame or bike without the original fork is WHY??? What happened? Frequently forks are replaced because the bike was run into something like the back of a car.

Do you own the bike or are you considering buying it? Not wanting to come across snobby, saying someones bike is UGLY is akin to commenting about their mother or their dog...

The problem that I've seen with a bike like that one over almost years of messing with them is they quickly become a can of worms just trying to get them to operate safely!

If you're looking to buy it: RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!!!

Remember though, rubber wheels beat rubber heels!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 07-24-21, 07:41 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Pic Assist

Old 07-25-21, 01:05 PM
vintageaddict

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by verktyg
I'm only seeing one bike, the dark green one with a black fork.

That one has all the hallmarks of a bike that was cobbled together with a collection of parts from a bike co-op???

The tubing sticker says Tange Chro-Mo but it could have gas pipe wall thickness tubes. The dropouts are stamped steel which is an indicator of a lower priced bike. The fork doesn't match which is an indicator of a replacement...

My question about a frame or bike without the original fork is WHY??? What happened? Frequently forks are replaced because the bike was run into something like the back of a car.

Do you own the bike or are you considering buying it? Not wanting to come across snobby, saying someones bike is UGLY is akin to commenting about their mother or their dog...

The problem that I've seen with a bike like that one over almost years of messing with them is they quickly become a can of worms just trying to get them to operate safely!

If you're looking to buy it: RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!!!

Remember though, rubber wheels beat rubber heels!

verktyg
I was thinking of buying it but not anymore! I appreciate the advice!
Old 07-25-21, 05:41 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
...What about this Bianchi, are the photos in the below album enough to narrow down which Piaggio era model it was?

imgur.com/a/ayqgn8Q

The subject bicycle is Japanese manufactured entry level model. Based on the decal scheme it should be 1983-1984. The Cyclone rear derailleur would appear to be owner upgrade, as the Cyclone derailleur of this era was the Mk II version and the the bicycle also uses lower level DLW shift levers and ARX front derailleurs. It appears to have 700C wheels or at least Presta valves. The combination of 700C and ARX during this era would make it a Bianchi Bici II which employed a Ishiwata Magny main triangle mated to hi-tensile stays and forks. MSRP was $350 CDN in 1984 and claimed weight was 25 lbs..
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-25-21, 06:17 PM
T-Mar

Regarding the green bicycle, I don't think it is quite as bad as it's being represented. The Bianchi Special CrMo tubing was typically economical, seamed, Tange tubesets and far from gas pipe. Generally, they correlated to one of the seamless, Champion tubesets. In this case there's no mention of butting and it has stamped dropouts, so it's likely Tange #5 equivalent in the main tubes with hi-tensile stays and fork. The fork appears to have a Bianchi Special decal and contrasting forks were a trend in the very late 1980s, so it may be OEM.

The decals are 1988-1989 but there's no CdM decal, so I'm leaning towards 1989. Stamped dropouts with a plain gauge CrMo main triangle suggests a frameset equivalent to the USA market Alante.

Still, it's highly frankenbiked, with a wide range of components. The owner would have to be just about giving it way for me to consider it.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-25-21, 09:54 PM
vintageaddict

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks T-Mar !

Another modified Bianchi here, I think this is a 1989 Camapione d'Italia? (noting that I'm from Canada and assuming this frame was purchased in Canada) Album link is below, seller didn't provide much in the way of photos.

Can anyone confirm that the geometry of this frame is more "relaxed" than the Brava and more high end racing frames of that era? I'm looking for a bike to do 100-300km rides up mountain highways, I guess the difference between a touring frame and a racing frame would be preference?

And with regards to the Campagnolo drivetrain (seller claims it is), would anyone be able to confirm which model and year it came from? Apologies for the grainy photos it's all that was provided, the seller claims it's 3x8 but from the photo appears to be 3x6?

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-26-21, 06:59 AM
T-Mar

Thanks T-Mar !

Another modified Bianchi here, I think this is a 1989 Camapione d'Italia? (noting that I'm from Canada and assuming this frame was purchased in Canada) Album link is below, seller didn't provide much in the way of photos.

Can anyone confirm that the geometry of this frame is more "relaxed" than the Brava and more high end racing frames of that era? I'm looking for a bike to do 100-300km rides up mountain highways, I guess the difference between a touring frame and a racing frame would be preference?

And with regards to the Campagnolo drivetrain (seller claims it is), would anyone be able to confirm which model and year it came from? Apologies for the grainy photos it's all that was provided, the seller claims it's 3x8 but from the photo appears to be 3x6?

Thanks everyone!
The decal scheme indicates 1988-1989. Again, I'm not seeing a CdM decal, so it would appear to be a 1989 model. The Columbus decal appears to have a silver background which would indicate a Cromor tubeset and make the bicycle a Canadian market Bianchi Brava, in which it would have been originally equipped with Shimano New 105. It does appears to have the OEM New 105 headset.

The Campagnolo components appear to be a mixed bag. The crankset appears to be mid-2000s, 3rd tier, Centaur. I can't positively identify the others but the derailleurs appear to be slightly older.

I'm always cautious when I see things like coiled derailleur cables that the owner couldn't be bothered to trim and a nose down saddle. However, my biggest concern in the disparate frame sizes of the bicycles that are being considered. The ATB frame was medium size, the white road bicycle was small but this one is very small. Based on the stem height, post extension and saddle set-back, it is obviously too small for the current owner.

Edit: Photo assist.

Last edited by T-Mar; 07-26-21 at 07:12 AM.
Likes For T-Mar: