Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tube replacement

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tube replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21, 07:13 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
Tube replacement

I’ve been fortunate in my 5 or 6 years of riding. I have only had one flat tire on the road. That flat was on my Specialized Roubaix. Today, I had a flat on my Synapse that I keep at my weekend house. I was on my return and only about 4 or 5 miles from the house and my son is down visiting so I gave him a call to come get me. This evening I went to change the tube and could not get the tire levers to do their magic. It is like the tire is glued onto the rim. I may even have damaged the tire. Anyone had a problem like this before? These are 30 mm tires so I expected this to go easier than the thinner Roubaix tire I removed from the rim
Old 07-25-21, 07:21 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Mark
I’ve been fortunate in my 5 or 6 years of riding. I have only had one flat tire on the road. That flat was on my Specialized Roubaix. Today, I had a flat on my Synapse that I keep at my weekend house. I was on my return and only about 4 or 5 miles from the house and my son is down visiting so I gave him a call to come get me. This evening I went to change the tube and could not get the tire levers to do their magic. It is like the tire is glued onto the rim. I may even have damaged the tire. Anyone had a problem like this before? These are 30 mm tires so I expected this to go easier than the thinner Roubaix tire I removed from the rim
Take the wheel and put it on a round garbage can (the outdoor type). Then use your thumbs to press down on the tire right where it meets the rim. Do this while working around the wheel. The tire will eventually unseat itself and move to the center channel of the wheel. From there, you can use tire levers to remove the tire. You just need to break the bead...
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 07-25-21, 07:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Sometime in the last decade or so, most rim manufacturers switched to "tubeless ready" rims. Typically with a deep center channel. You need to force the tire into the center channel to remove.
Old 07-26-21, 04:44 AM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks guys. The tire bead definitely sits in a deep channel. But I swear it seems like it is glued in. I’m going to give it another try and see if I can get it off without damaging the tire. If not, I’ll take it to the bike shop. Meanwhile, this mornings cardio is a fatbike ride over the dunes and down the beach.
Old 07-26-21, 05:07 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Mark
Meanwhile, this mornings cardio is a fatbike ride over the dunes and down the beach.
Can't you get your cardio workout changing a tire?

There are some people who swear by "Bead Jacks" to remove stubborn tires.