Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Difference in chains

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Difference in chains

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-21, 08:21 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I've run two KMC chain at various times on my bike and both times the KMC chain has a) been nosier versus Shimano and b) shorter life versus Shimano. For my riding style and money, I'm sticking with Shimano chains. YMMV.
Old 07-30-21, 12:49 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Yeah nah, because Shimano.
No, because author is inept. Clearly he mixes perfectly fine raw data with assumptions to reach conclusions not supported by the data.
Old 07-30-21, 06:15 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
No, because author is inept. Clearly he mixes perfectly fine raw data with assumptions to reach conclusions not supported by the data.
What's 'because', is why I said Ultegra or Dura-Ace is a no brainer - because Shimano. Nothing to do with any article.

It's more to do with the fact Shimano invented HyperGlide, like forty years ago.
Old 07-30-21, 07:31 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
a carbon chain using a special syn wax might be next to have a breakthrough with chain tech.
Old 07-30-21, 09:45 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
a carbon chain using a special syn wax might be next to have a breakthrough with chain tech.
Nope, they may well be able to come up with a SS carbon chain (or not, this seems non-trivial to me), but I'll bet one that can survive shifting will never exist.
Old 08-03-21, 09:17 AM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
I use Wippermann because I get more miles out of it. Second reason is the connex link that is reusable & more durable. I wax my chain and have one on the bike and the other in the wax so I can just swap them.