Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Painting lugs

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Painting lugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-21, 07:57 AM
TullySteve

Bikes: 1973 Moto Grand Record (project); 1990s Moser Leader AX; 1982(?) Specialized Rockhopper beater city bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Painting lugs

I just got my 1973 Moto Grand Record back from the powder coater. It is gorgeous (not going for an accurate restoration, something new. Illusion Copper). The plan is to hand paint the two lugs at the head tube a contrasting color (and the detail of the shoulder of the fork), and hand paint the gold outlines of all the lugs. I can post pics later. I have the contrast paint in the form of a small bottle of automotive touch up paint which I used for testing my color choices before it got sandblasted, and good brushes. But the powder coater guy was pushing me to get a small sprayer to do it (with super careful masking of course). He said I would be much happier with the outcome. But it's such a small bit of paint, just two lugs, that I'm hesitant to jump into all of that (I would have to go to Harbor Freight and get a sprayer.). Anyway, any and all opinions and advice welcome. I have new decals on the way from VeloCals (who were great to deal with).
Old 08-04-21, 08:09 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I've seen really nice paint jobs done with extra layers of thinned paint, by thinning the paint more it eliminates the brush strokes or roller marks depending on application and lets the paint lay flatter. Down sides are more time involved due to more coats and the extra drying time. But, for the best results you still need to mask them and after 2 coats do a wet sand and another after a couple more coats with really fine paper. The results can look as good as spray but more time and effort are required.
Old 08-04-21, 08:14 AM
TullySteve

Bikes: 1973 Moto Grand Record (project); 1990s Moser Leader AX; 1982(?) Specialized Rockhopper beater city bike.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I've seen really nice paint jobs done with extra layers of thinned paint, by thinning the paint more it eliminates the brush strokes or roller marks depending on application and lets the paint lay flatter. Down sides are more time involved due to more coats and the extra drying time. But, for the best results you still need to mask them and after 2 coats do a wet sand and another after a couple more coats with really fine paper. The results can look as good as spray but more time and effort are required.
Thanks. Yes I would certainly be masking regardless. The automotive paint dries very quickly so the time factor would not be troublesome. Not sure what to thin it with but I will check with the local supplier. Since I don't even own a sprayer, there's plenty of time & effort avoided or transferred to the brush painting time. I'll consult around and look for other replies here before jumping in.
Old 08-04-21, 08:24 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
While I was refinishing my Humber, I initially did it all with rattle cans (and lots of prep and sanding in between coats). For an experiment I used brush on paint for the chainguard following randyjawa instructions on his site. With careful application the brush paint looks equally good to the sprayed. I think brushing will work well for you if you are careful and you can always sand out defects….
Old 08-04-21, 08:52 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
...the lug lining is a lot harder to do than it looks. I would suggest some experiment and practice on something else, first.
I'm still looking for some kind of paint pen that will produce a thin enough line to look good, and you might want to look for someone with a steadier hand.

A pin striping brush doesn't really work well, because of the difference in the surface levels. Here's one that is the best I could do at the time. Lately I've just skipped it.

If anyone else has a good tool for this, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Old 08-04-21, 08:58 AM
TullySteve

Originally Posted by markk900
While I was refinishing my Humber, I initially did it all with rattle cans (and lots of prep and sanding in between coats). For an experiment I used brush on paint for the chainguard following randyjawa instructions on his site. With careful application the brush paint looks equally good to the sprayed. I think brushing will work well for you if you are careful and you can always sand out defects….
Is there a link to that randyjawa site?
Old 08-04-21, 09:13 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by TullySteve
Is there a link to that randyjawa site?
Here is a link to randyjawa's old site. It is a great resource. He sold the website some time ago but you can access his "old" site on the wayback machine. I tested this link and it appears to be safe.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190509...TRODUCTION.htm
Old 08-04-21, 09:28 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...the lug lining is a lot harder to do than it looks. I would suggest some experiment and practice on something else, first.
I'm still looking for some kind of paint pen that will produce a thin enough line to look good, and you might want to look for someone with a steadier hand.

A pin striping brush doesn't really work well, because of the difference in the surface levels. Here's one that is the best I could do at the time. Lately I've just skipped it.

If anyone else has a good tool for this, I'd be interested to hear about it.
I have found that a Uchida Deco Color Extra Fine Tip paint pen can give very good results. A source: Deco Color Pen

I did the lugs on this bike, including the detail on top of the fork crown.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 08-04-21, 09:43 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Me too on the ultra-fine paint pen for lug lining. It's really quite easy to get near perfect results. Have some tissues and a little mineral spirits to wipe away any mistakes in real time and then redo the lining.
Old 08-04-21, 09:56 AM
TugaDude

Lug lining gone wrong sounds like the title of a B-film.

One thing that hasn't come up I think is the type of paint to use over powdercoat. I wonder if a certain type of paint works best? The other thing is surface prep. I would think that a primer would assist the adhesion of the finish paint. Or maybe sanding the paint on the lug in order to create a rougher surface for mechanical adhesion of the finish paint. Just some thoughts.
Old 08-04-21, 10:04 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude

.... The other thing is surface prep. I would think that a primer would assist the adhesion of the finish paint. Or maybe sanding the paint on the lug in order to create a rougher surface for mechanical adhesion of the finish paint. Just some thoughts.
Don't know how you would do that with the example of thin lining in post 8.
Old 08-04-21, 10:15 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
I have found that a Uchida Deco Color Extra Fine Tip paint pen can give very good results. A source: Deco Color Pen

...thank you.
Old 08-04-21, 12:10 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

A trick I used to line and fill cutouts of the lugs on an all-chrome frameset was to use a fine artist's brush to apply some Elmer's Probond Plus glue where the paint was to be applied. This glue is water-based and drys clear, is supposed to stick to anything, and is paintable. I then lined the lugs with said ultrafine paint pen, filled the cutouts with Testor's, and then applied another coat of the glue. It looks and has held up fab.
Old 08-04-21, 12:16 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
...thank you.
You're welcome.
Old 08-04-21, 12:37 PM
TullySteve

...thank you.
Ditto that.
Old 08-04-21, 12:38 PM
TullySteve

Originally Posted by sced
A trick I used to line and fill cutouts of the lugs on an all-chrome frameset was to use a fine artist's brush to apply some Elmer's Probond Plus glue where the paint was to be applied. This glue is water-based and drys clear, is supposed to stick to anything, and is paintable. I then lined the lugs with said ultrafine paint pen, filled the cutouts with Testor's, and then applied another coat of the glue. It looks and has held up fab.
Interesting but I don't quite follow. If you have a minute some more detail would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-04-21, 12:41 PM
TullySteve

Originally Posted by TugaDude

One thing that hasn't come up I think is the type of paint to use over powdercoat. I wonder if a certain type of paint works best? The other thing is surface prep. I would think that a primer would assist the adhesion of the finish paint. Or maybe sanding the paint on the lug in order to create a rougher surface for mechanical adhesion of the finish paint. Just some thoughts.
My powder coater guy suggest a light wet sand of the lug with 400 grit, then the automotive touch up paint that I've got will adhere very well he said. Re the narrow liner paint adhering, he was confident that even without being able to sand that small angle there would be no problems.
Old 08-04-21, 12:55 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Interesting but I don't quite follow. If you have a minute some more detail would be appreciated. Thanks.
The glue, clear when dried, acts like both a primer and a top coat on surfaces that may not take paint easily/well.
Old 08-04-21, 01:18 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
I used a rattle can to paint the lugs on my 3Rensho Allez. Not a contrasting color, but some previous owner had sanded the original paint off of them.

This picture was before I cleaned all the residue from the masking off. You can see that I left some ridges. I think you could effectively hide that with lug lining.

BTW, I also had a Grand Record powder coated. I had the lugs powder coated in a contrasting color (as well as the seat tube panels). I've heard that people only agree to mask Nervex lugs if they've never done it before.

Old 08-04-21, 01:26 PM
TullySteve

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I used a rattle can to paint the lugs on my 3Rensho Allez. Not a contrasting color, but some previous owner had sanded the original paint off of them.

This picture was before I cleaned all the residue from the masking off. You can see that I left some ridges. I think you could effectively hide that with lug lining.

BTW, I also had a Grand Record powder coated. I had the lugs powder coated in a contrasting color (as well as the seat tube panels). I've heard that people only agree to mask Nervex lugs if they've never done it before.

So they did two runs of powder coat with masking? My guy didn't even offer that option. I assume it would have been prohibitively expensive.
Old 08-04-21, 01:31 PM
TugaDude

My powder coater guy suggest a light wet sand of the lug with 400 grit, then the automotive touch up paint that I've got will adhere very well he said. Re the narrow liner paint adhering, he was confident that even without being able to sand that small angle there would be no problems.
I'd try to roughen it up as best you can. You can use a nail file to get into small, tight areas if need be.
Old 08-04-21, 01:35 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
So they did two runs of powder coat with masking? My guy didn't even offer that option. I assume it would have been prohibitively expensive.
Honestly, I'm not sure how they did it. The invoice on the Grand Record (which was done by Forever Powder Coating in Olympia) gave me the impression that they might have just painted the lugs, but I've since had a Grand Jubilé powder coated by Groody Bros, and I know they used powder because I placed the order for the powder and had it shipped to them.

So, I know it can be done, but I don't know how. I've heard that it involves some kind of specialized high temperature tolerant masking.
Old 08-04-21, 01:44 PM
TullySteve

Originally Posted by Andy_K
Honestly, I'm not sure how they did it. The invoice on the Grand Record (which was done by Forever Powder Coating in Olympia) gave me the impression that they might have just painted the lugs, but I've since had a Grand Jubilé powder coated by Groody Bros, and I know they used powder because I placed the order for the powder and had it shipped to them.

So, I know it can be done, but I don't know how. I've heard that it involves some kind of specialized high temperature tolerant masking.
Wow, gorgeous.
Old 08-04-21, 04:13 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Lots of discussion about lug lining in this thread about the frame builder Brian Chapman. Chapman uses a "fluid writer" tool.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ug-lining.html

Old 08-04-21, 04:57 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
the powder coater guy was pushing me to get a small sprayer... But it's such a small bit of paint, just two lugs, that I'm hesitant to jump into all of that.
Maybe it depends on the color. I would think something like black would be really easy to do with a brush. On the other hand, what's the worst that can happen? You're not happy with the results from the brush, and you have to do it over? I wouldn't hesitate using a brush, and I would probably do it with three or four light coats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.