Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1989) LeMond TSX

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-21, 06:39 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 3,457 Times in 997 Posts

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 08-05-21, 08:06 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Thanks for this article. I'll be saving a copy to my bike info files for sure.

I have two of these TSX Lemonds and they are simply superb. What makes them stand out to me is how well they seem to carry speed. The real kicker is how well they work for me late in long rides. It get's easy to loose concentration and slow down and these just leap right back up to speed effortlessly when you notice. No matter even if you legs are tired.

This blue still holds my PR on my 25 mile route. I've tried to beat it several times on other bikes and it just hasn't happened yet. This one is a Campagnolo 8 Speed but I converted a Veloce 9 speed cassette to 8 speed so I could put on those nice modern Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels.

One of my all time favorite rides.

Then I picked up this one about two years ago because I've always lusted after the Team Z colors. This is a smaller frame but with a really nice Campagnolo groupset to include Delta brakes and yes they do work, LOL! This one exhibits the same characteristics of the blue one but is reserved for special days of riding.

Old 08-05-21, 09:27 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Since we are sharing TSX Lemonds, here is mine. Frame was a Christmas present from my wife. I was fortunate to get most of the Campagnolo Record group as a single purchase. I think mine dates ca 1992.

DSCN2584 by L Travers, on Flickr

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 08-05-21, 11:11 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 2,607 Posts
The Campy rep’s excuses for the performance of the Croce d’Aune components are pretty lame.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-05-21, 10:16 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
The Campy rep’s excuses for the performance of the Croce d’Aune components are pretty lame.
He's the piper, he ain't callin' the tune... but yeah, it's lame.

What's odd to me is that they didn't mention the weirdest part of the Croce D'Aune group: the pushrod-operated rear derailleur. Which actually shifted really, really well. In friction. With Mavic levers. I loved mine, and would love to have another one. My 80's Campy group is C-Record crank, hubs, and seatpost, Croce D'Aune rear derailleur, Chorus front derailleur and Monoplanar calipers, and whatever the widest, oval-shaped platfrom pedals were... Triomphe? (The brake levers wouldn't be Campy, because 80s Campy aero levers are terrible.)

A pre-Trek Greg Lemond frame to hang them on would not suck.

--Shannon
Old 08-06-21, 02:27 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
He's making 26 pound e-bikes now. An anti-ebike as I am I think his are pretty sweet.

https://lemond.com/prolog

Old 08-06-21, 04:50 AM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
A few years back One of these Coors Light Lemond bikes came up on eBay in my size. It was early in my C&V collecting and I thought it was expensive. It sold. Today, I would snap up that same bike today.
Old 08-06-21, 10:50 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 6,466 Times in 3,198 Posts
6.2 lb frameset? 22.6 lb bike?