Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Peloton vs Cycling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Peloton vs Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-21, 12:01 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
This thread is living up to the billing so far! definitely one of the best pissing contest threads in a while. Zingers coming form both sides.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-05-21, 12:12 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
So, what exactly are you arguing? That inside and outside workouts both strain the same parts of the body equally? 'cause they don't. Core and stabilizer muscles don't get the same workout inside.
No one has said you can't get strong inside. In fact, the opposite has been said. What HAS been said is that inside fitness doesn't always equate to real-world performance. I know plenty of Zwift warriors who put up big numbers inside but get their butts handed to them outside.

If you want to be strong inside, cool. Awesome. Go for it. No one is going to stop you.
im saying, at least for me, I don’t feel any different strain on my body when I start to ride outside after being inside. In fact I race Cx (not terribly) with not that much outdoor training. I think there are mental aspects to stuff like riding with groups, but physically the transition from inside to outside is seamless and I find claims to the contrary quite overblown
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-05-21, 12:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
So, what exactly are you arguing? That inside and outside workouts both strain the same parts of the body equally? 'cause they don't. Core and stabilizer muscles don't get the same workout inside.
No one has said you can't get strong inside. In fact, the opposite has been said. What HAS been said is that inside fitness doesn't always equate to real-world performance. I know plenty of Zwift warriors who put up big numbers inside but get their butts handed to them outside.

If you want to be strong inside, cool. Awesome. Go for it. No one is going to stop you.
​​​​​​That doing push-ups and bench presses won't make you faster on a bike. 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-05-21, 12:19 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
These people somehow manage.

https://superleaguetriathlon.com/event/london21/
Old 08-05-21, 12:24 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
This thread is living up to the billing so far! Definitely one of the best pissing contest threads in a while. Zingers coming from both sides.

Cavendish with massive guads? Grepel with massive arms? Keep em coming.
For sure. That's what happens when you have people that don't know what they are talking about. People are entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts.
Old 08-05-21, 12:30 PM
seypat

I need to learn the "I killed it" sit up and smirk move I see in the Peloton commercials. Can I learn that on a real bike outside?
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-05-21, 12:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

You shouldn't do sit ups, they're bad for your spine.
Old 08-05-21, 12:35 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Even before Zwift etc, you could always tell the riders who had spent all winter on the trainer vs those who rode outside. It’s even more pronounced now.
Around here I don't see that. The hammer ride is mostly members of teams that race road. All of them ride outdoors at some point in the off season. Weather in the south is good in winter for it. Even then, it's probably a 50/50 time split. I think it is the triathletes that give this one the worst look.

Bottom line, most Peloton users don't follow structured training of testing and doing workouts tailored at tickling up specific kinds of power. It's a fitness and health thing, not performance. Spin class doesn't necessarily tailor towards progression. Not to mention, doing VO2 sets of 4x5min at 120% isn't pleasant. Peloton users are looking for a doable and somewhat enjoyable fitness experience.

You also can't compare the Zwift climbs to real life unless you're one of the few with a trainer with sufficient % grade simulation AND you have your trainer difficulty set at 100%. Most folks you see climbing Alpe or Ventoux on Zwift would need mountain bike gearing to get up those climbs IRL. They'd be pushing a road bike with a 50/34 and 11/30 cassette. Then with mtb gearing would come the less efficient tires and heavier weights, usually unless super-mtb with lockouts and low weight.

I got into a pissing contest with a local guy about his "virtual everesting". He rode up the Alpe to hit the number........all while just spinning 90rpm and 125w for eternity. Trainer difficulty set to like 25%. Soviet level boredom torture stuff, no doubt. But fake fake fake. That's not climbing. That's just a really really impressive endurance ride. He tried to argue "I could buy different gearing for a real effort". Right cowboy. Right.
Old 08-05-21, 12:37 PM
seypat

Old 08-05-21, 12:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Because the ones who workout on the trainer are squirrelly??
I wouldn't say that. Less confident, less smooth. Little things like reading the wind or sensing a surge before it happens. Not tensing up if you bump elbows. Riding comfortably in the drops. It comes back quickly for experienced riders.
Old 08-05-21, 12:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Do you wear jeans on your upper body? This is really confusing.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-05-21, 01:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
I wouldn't say that. Less confident, less smooth. Little things like reading the wind or sensing a surge before it happens. Not tensing up if you bump elbows. Riding comfortably in the drops. It comes back quickly for experienced riders.
Oh, so your earlier complaint was about how zwifters dont handle riding in a competitive outdoor race or group ride very well? Here I thought you were complaining that they just plain didnt know how to balance and would ride into curbs or something like that.

Your issue applies to like .025% of cyclists. Most will Peloton or Zwift for cardio exercise and engagement, and then ride when its nice outside because cycling to them is a recreational hobby and hobbies should be fun.
Peloton and Zwift can be fantastic ways to keep up one's fitness. Simple as that.
Old 08-05-21, 01:21 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Either he's got shoulder pads in that jacket...............or he's been riding a real bike outside a lot. Look at the size of those deltoids. Massive!
Old 08-05-21, 01:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by indyfabz
​​​​​​To be fair, @GlennR said riding an indoor bike doesn't give you an upper body workout like riding a real bike does, and then offered up his Oprah Winfrey jeans as proof.
Old 08-05-21, 01:29 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Your issue applies to like .025% of cyclists. Most will Peloton or Zwift for cardio exercise and engagement, and then ride when its nice outside because cycling to them is a recreational hobby and hobbies should be fun.
Peloton and Zwift can be fantastic ways to keep up one's fitness. Simple as that.
Maybe context is important. Would it still only be .025% of participants in BF "Road Cycling" forum discussions?
Old 08-05-21, 01:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Maybe context is important. Would it still only be .025% of participants in BF "Road Cycling" forum discussions?
Loaded question. I often doubt that 70% of the people on here even ride a bike with any frequency.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-05-21, 01:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Oh, so your earlier complaint was about how zwifters dont handle riding in a competitive outdoor race or group ride very well? Here I thought you were complaining that they just plain didnt know how to balance and would ride into curbs or something like that.

My earlier post was an observation, not a complaint. I apply it to myself as well. Particularly, this spring as I had not been on a group ride for 15 months due to the pandemic. When I rode outside it was either solo or with my son, but most of the time it was in the garage on the trainer with Zwift and/or TrainerRoad. You absolutely can get bike fit on a trainer, whatever training platform you use, but there's more to riding a bike well than turning over the pedals, and you're not doing much to improve those skills on the trainer. I don't think this is controversial.
Old 08-05-21, 01:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

My earlier post was an observation, not a complaint. I apply it to myself as well. Particularly, this spring as I had not been on a group ride for 15 months due to the pandemic. When I rode outside it was either solo or with my son, but most of the time it was in the garage on the trainer with Zwift and/or TrainerRoad. You absolutely can get bike fit on a trainer, whatever training platform you use, but there's more to riding a bike well than turning over the pedals, and you're not doing much to improve those skills on the trainer. I don't think this is controversial.
Gotcha- makes sense. I took it more as a complaint/insult. Bad interpretation on my part.
Old 08-05-21, 01:37 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrecks24
I do several different rides such as rotation rides, no drops and longer "tours". As far as riding etiquette goes, I feel very confident. My neighbor races for a university near me and I ride a lot with him, he has taught me many things. But I am looking for the best route to gain more endurance. When I ride the Peloton, I feel a whole lot more leg fatigue than I do when I ride on the road, unless off coure we ride 50+ miles. But all things being equal ie...time and distance, my legs are much more "worked" as the ride is non stop pedaling at a higher resistance. Some of the guys I ride with can smoke me and I just want to be able to keep up...lol
I do outdoors rides similar to you, and I also feel more leg fatigue when riding on Zwift (given the same duration of exercise as outdoors). Some say it's because we aren't engaging any of the "balance muscles" that you use when outdoors, and that translates to the indoor riding being performed on a subset of muscles that get more work in less time, creating fatigue in less time. As well as your sit spots or palms hurting more quickly because we don't shift our weight going around corners when indoors.

What I primarily use indoor/Zwift cycling for is doing sustained out-of-the-saddle climbs, which aren't always easy to do outdoors based on where you live, or the time of the year in my case. Going UP a long Denver canyon in the winter when ice may exist here or there is one thing, but coming DOWN and hitting that same ice at speed is another. But again, those out-of-the-saddle climbing muscles don't also have to balance you, so I would imagine fatigue would set in faster for the same reasons.

Zwift/indoors is also great for doing steady state FTP tests since there's no interruptions, red lights, dogs/kids on the path, or turns to slow you down.

Last edited by Riveting; 08-05-21 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-05-21, 01:39 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
I don't do the peloton but i do do zwift in winter on a kicker with 100% difficulty and capable of 20% grades. i ride the tower climb, the alpe, and the big one in the french world. i know it is all simulated but since having this ability my first few rides in spring are *so* much easier than when i did not have it. long local climbs are now a joke in the sense that they are so easy in a relative sense compared to seasons past.
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-05-21, 04:18 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Loaded question. I often doubt that 70% of the people on here even ride a bike with any frequency.
I think that’s right 92.345% of the time.
Old 08-05-21, 04:58 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I think that’s right 92.345% of the time.
60% of the time, it works every time.
Old 08-05-21, 07:28 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Isn't there a stationary bike sub forum here?
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-06-21, 04:50 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Or a sub-stationery bike forum?
Old 08-06-21, 07:03 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts

More than .025%. There was a pages long piss and moan on Slowtwitch perhaps a year or so ago about outdoor riding skills and indoors only triathletes. There's a pretty large contingent of triathletes that pretty much train bike indoors 100% due to outdoor open road with cars issues. There were some high profile crashes in some IM events that called into question the modern age of only riding indoors.
Likes For burnthesheep:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.