Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Today, I was the prey

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Today, I was the prey

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-20, 12:32 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Today, I was the prey

Working from the house today, I took a lunch time ride. What a beautiful day it is for such a thing here in Southeast Texas.

Pedaling, pedaling, pedaling, I went up a small hill at a local park and kept my speed low as I got back onto the concrete . . .

What's that sound? Coming from behind? The sound of claws trying their mightiest to grab hold of the street and provide maximum acceleration for my predator. A silent predator, just moments before laying in wait. No utterance made, simply an ambush by a blood thirsty beast.

As I accelerate away, the beast still follows. I let it pace me from behind as it has reached maximum velocity, but its stamina appears sufficient for a lengthy chase. What a determined little beast, all of maybe 12 pounds. Run, run, run little dog.

Old 03-05-20, 12:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Working from the house today, I took a lunch time ride. What a beautiful day it is for such a thing here in Southeast Texas.

Pedaling, pedaling, pedaling, I went up a small hill at a local park and kept my speed low as I got back onto the concrete . . .

What's that sound? Coming from behind? The sound of claws trying their mightiest to grab hold of the street and provide maximum acceleration for my predator. A silent predator, just moments before laying in wait. No utterance made, simply an ambush by a blood thirsty beast.

As I accelerate away, the beast still follows. I let it pace me from behind as it has reached maximum velocity, but its stamina appears sufficient for a lengthy chase. What a determined little beast, all of maybe 12 pounds. Run, run, run little dog.

Last dog that attacked me couldn't have weighed more than 6 pounds. Charged me from a right angle as I was climbing a hill, so speeding away wasn't an option. I had to stop dead because I was afraid she was going under my wheel. Her owner was running after her trying to get her to stop, saw me hop off the bike and I think he feared I was going to be mean to her. I just yelled "hey" at the top of my lungs and she charged right back into the house very fast.

Almost as funny as getting charged by a ground hog.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-05-20, 01:06 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
awww probably wanted it's own bike

Old 03-05-20, 01:46 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Where, behind the rabbit?

Amusingly, when I ride my velomobile, dogs (even the larger ones) tend to shy away and seem to be afraid of it. When I'm on my recumbent bike, they want to chase, though.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 03-05-20, 01:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Where, behind the rabbit?

Amusingly, when I ride my velomobile, dogs (even the larger ones) tend to shy away and seem to be afraid of it. When I'm on my recumbent bike, they want to chase, though.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter_rabbit_incident
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-05-20, 02:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Dog chase thread. Subscribed.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-05-20, 02:51 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
It's been raining so much here. I wonder if dogs chase kayaks?
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 03-05-20, 02:55 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Don't 'Wake-n-Bake'
Old 03-05-20, 02:55 PM
m3tal070

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
I used to ride on a country road, where at the bottom of a slight hill stood a farm. And regular as the sun rises, two farm dogs seem to take great delight waiting in ambush for me to pass by. They were more noise than teeth, but still was a great motivator for the hill climb to safety!
Likes For m3tal070:
Old 03-05-20, 02:56 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I'll take "Doing the Dogpaddle" for $500, Alex ...
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 03-05-20, 02:56 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
SE Texas? I heard Chupacabras are in your nick of the woods. Could have been a young'en but still deadly.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-05-20, 03:07 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter_rabbit_incident
Swamp Boat 1? Is that USN or USMC?
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 03-05-20, 04:23 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
SE Texas? I heard Chupacabras are in your nick of the woods. Could have been a young'en but still deadly.
Ever see a chupacabra ride a bicycle? Chased by a dog?

Likes For FiftySix:
Old 03-05-20, 04:35 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Just dial it up to 400 and teach him a lesson.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 03-05-20, 05:02 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Kinda similar story. But I think the outcome would have been much different if the predator(s) on my heels had caught up.
I was out riding with a friend from out of town, showing him the sights in NYC. We started out in Lower Manhattan around midnight and rode over the Brooklyn Bridge into downtown Brooklyn and were going past the Brooklyn Navy Yard. This was about twenty years ago, back when it was desolate and creepy as heck there at night.

So we’re riding by and we see a pack of what look to be stray dogs just hanging out there in the middle of the night doing whatever packs of stray dogs do in the middle of the night there. They just watch us until we are almost past them. But, just when I start thinking we are all good, they take off running after us!

Obviously, I got away uneaten. As did my friend. But Jeezum Crow! I was scared out of my mind lol
Likes For Rage:
Old 03-05-20, 06:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Just dial it up to 400 and teach him a lesson.
Coolest chase I ever had was by a dog that would have laughed at your 400 watts. 1977, at the height of my racing days, I was going downhill and passed a house at the back of a big front lawn. Dog was on the front steps and saw me as I passed the walk. 20 feet behind me at the corner of the lot after I accelerated for all I was worth. Quickly beside me. Then it just paced me down the hill. No bark, no growl, no move to either get ahead or get close to me. Never passed my BB. But we both knew that if there was a finish line anywhere on that hill, I was taking second. The dog was just cruising. When the hill leveled out, he turned around and trotted home. Job done.

15 years later, my neighbor got a whippet. Looked very familiar. Like my pursuer, a classy dog. And also a rocket.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-05-20, 06:43 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,284 Times in 1,278 Posts
Last Sunday I was on my way home from a fantastic ride to the coast and as I rounded a corner on a MUP , a Great Dane about the size of a small horse was galloping towards me from a right angle growling/barking and dragging a leash behind him. A woman was yelling at her beast from the other side of a 6’ chain link fence. I have no idea what the situation was ,but, the dog responded to her at the last moment and I was spared the jaws of death! Man, I was relieved , there was no way to outrun that thing. Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-06-20, 04:59 AM
James Christie

Bikes: Trek 790 (1992) Trek FXS4 (2019)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A very good cycling friend, alas now deceased, related to me a descent at speed into Ajaccio, Corsica, when a dog tore out of a house and had the misfortune to decide to have a close discussion with the spokes of the front wheel. Friend Christian came off (broken wrist) but the howling of the dog without its snout, brought out its owner who seeing what had happened went back to the house and returned with a shotgun, fortunately to finish off the dog, though it was a shaky moment for my pal.
Likes For James Christie:
Old 03-06-20, 07:42 AM
Ferguron

Bikes: '15 Giant Propel Advanced SL1, '17 Trek Madone RSL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 15 Posts
Once cycling in the Santa Cruz mountains back in the 90's I had a pretty vicious dog chase me. As I was scurrying to get away I looked back and saw he only had three legs...this made me all the more tense because I figured he was probably dedicated enough to lose that leg chasing the last guy...
Likes For Ferguron:
Old 03-06-20, 08:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Ever see a chupacabra ride a bicycle? Chased by a dog?

https://youtu.be/N9cJ-fHg74A

I think that's a very good metaphor for some of the Bike Forum threads.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-06-20, 08:23 AM
Fredo_Adagio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
Likes For Fredo_Adagio:
Old 03-06-20, 08:30 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Had the same thing happen the other night, no growling or barking, but I heard his nails hit the pavement when he took chase. Only difference is, I know the dogs at that house, and the smallest one is probably 60lbs. Not sure which one it was, they have three that love to come off the property after cyclists, but I wasn't waiting around to find out. Wish I had a power meter, I would love to see what my output was for that section!!
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-06-20, 11:00 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Whole host of 'em:

https://cycliq.com/videos/animal-enc...v=7516fd43adaa
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 03-06-20, 01:42 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by James Christie
A very good cycling friend, alas now deceased, related to me a descent at speed into Ajaccio, Corsica, when a dog tore out of a house and had the misfortune to decide to have a close discussion with the spokes of the front wheel. Friend Christian came off (broken wrist) but the howling of the dog without its snout, brought out its owner who seeing what had happened went back to the house and returned with a shotgun, fortunately to finish off the dog, though it was a shaky moment for my pal.
Tarantino could put that in a movie.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 03-06-20, 02:01 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I was paddling my kayak across a small lake in Northern Ontario Canada when a fellow in a boat came up to me and asked if that was my dog. It was. I had got my dad to drop me off at the start of my trip and this was the end of it and he was back to pick me up. He had brought my dog with him and she decided she'd join me. Fortunately she was a terrier/lab cross and was not a full size lab and Iwas able to pull her into my kayak.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.