Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultegra rear cassette with 105 rear deraileur?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20, 01:05 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts

Guys,

Am wanting to add a gravel bike to my garage. Am also wanting to have the ability to swap wheel sets so that I don't need to change tires on the wheels in the event the planned ride is never going to touch gravel.

For cost savings am strongly considering going with a 105 groupset on the gravel bike and perhaps upgrading it down the road to Ultegra Di2 shifters and mech. The road bike I'm currently riding has a 6800 Ultegra Di2 disc groupset.

Think I'll experience any shifting issues if I put the rear wheel, with an Ultegra 11 32-11 speed cassette onto the gravel bike with a 105 rear shifter? Assuming that the cassette is within the accepted range of ratios in relation to the front chainring size?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-20, 02:00 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
As long as you are using 11 speed on all the bikes, then you should be just fine.

Pay attention to disc/rim brake differences. There are now disc specific rims. You can use them with rim brakes, but they may not be optimal for a few reasons.

Whenever you swap wheels, it is a good idea to check your derailleur stops and adjustment.

Do your tires fit in the frames?
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-06-20, 02:12 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Its a good idea to check the chain length also
Old 03-06-20, 03:14 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
You should have no compatibility issues. Only issue may be tweaking the rear der cable thumbscrew when swapping wheels to make up for any difference in the position of the cassette in relation to the dropouts/hubs. I have a total mix of different lines of equipment, MTB rear derailleur, Tiagra brifters, FSA chainrings, and a non line CX70 front derailleur. It all works great and I also swap between three different wheel sets with three different 10 speed cassettes that are all probably different lines as well. An 11-32, 11-34, and a 12-36. The only adjustment I have to make is the one with the 12-36 is a little off from the others and requires a few turns of my thumbscrew and a slight B screw adjustment. That wheel is an 11 speed wheel with a spacer installed to fit my 10 speed cassette so maybe that is why. Until you get used to your setups potential quirks, I'd verify your limit screws when changing wheels, it would suck to put a chain over the top into the wheel. It literally only takes me 60 seconds to get mine dialed in and I don't have to change my limits screws. I do adjust my disc brakes centering if it needs or not at every swap but that too is less than 60 seconds. Even it tweaking your setup between wheel set changes takes a little longer, it should be well worth it to have different sets of wheel/tires or a combination of them ready to go for different purposes.

Last edited by u235; 03-06-20 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-06-20, 04:01 PM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
For Shimano road 11 speed, there should be no shifting issues mixing any 105, Ultegra, of Dura Ace cassettes within these
groups since these road 11 speed Shimano groups all have the same compatible cassette spacing. The cassette price differences
are mostly due to weight, construction, materials, and finish.
Likes For onsay99:
Old 03-06-20, 05:23 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
It's no issue--doing this right now.