Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Your Experiences With Supplements?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-09-20, 03:55 PM
jjafterdark
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I started taking supplements again this year, after many years of avoiding them, believing, as conventional "science" would have it, that basically you were paying for expensive pee.

I realized after 2 to 3 months that this was certainly not the case, and that I was clearly benefitting in a variety of ways. The interesting thing is, since the benefits aren't immediately clear and hence the gains so gradual, there is no 'light bulb' effect: as in "wow this is great." As a result, once you reach a higher plane of health, it just becomes "normal" or "average" as in, something you just take for granted.

Now, as far as the downsides. I am taking a lot of supplements. So many in fact, that it's almost an endurance event finishing them all. It require drinking a lot of water, and it's quite time consuming. I think I've reached my limit in terms of how many supplements I can take, in terms of time and patience.

Cost? I estimate I'm spending $40 to $50 a month but I'm very careful comparing cost and quality so someone who is less invested in research would probably spend considerably more. Compared to the average caffeine addict spending $100 to $200 a month at Starbucks, I don't think the expenditure is that great.

What are your experiences?
Old 06-09-20, 04:17 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,831 Times in 3,139 Posts
Originally Posted by jjafterdark
I started taking supplements again this year, after many years of avoiding them, believing, as conventional "science" would have it, that basically you were paying for expensive pee.

I realized after 2 to 3 months that this was certainly not the case, and that I was clearly benefitting in a variety of ways. The interesting thing is, since the benefits aren't immediately clear and hence the gains so gradual, there is no 'light bulb' effect: as in "wow this is great." As a result, once you reach a higher plane of health, it just becomes "normal" or "average" as in, something you just take for granted.

Now, as far as the downsides. I am taking a lot of supplements. So many in fact, that it's almost an endurance event finishing them all. It require drinking a lot of water, and it's quite time consuming. I think I've reached my limit in terms of how many supplements I can take, in terms of time and patience.

Cost? I estimate I'm spending $40 to $50 a month but I'm very careful comparing cost and quality so someone who is less invested in research would probably spend considerably more. Compared to the average caffeine addict spending $100 to $200 a month at Starbucks, I don't think the expenditure is that great.

At least the caffeine addict is getting coffee.
Old 06-09-20, 04:22 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
The only supplements I take are calcium with vitamin D and B12. The calcium/D hs no effect. The B12 definitely helps my energy level, mood and sleep. I stopped taking it for a while due to having a very high level of B12 with my last lab work. I started taking it again 4 or 5 days ago and I have slept better the past couple nights. That alone, of course, helps the energy and frame of mind. I really have no valid comment other than that.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-09-20, 04:26 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
A big bowl of cruciferous leafy veggies with some salmon gives good bang for the buck.

Just remember your liver is metabolizing all that you ingest.
Old 06-09-20, 04:45 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Majority of nutritional supplements including protein powders and most sports supplements are a waste of money. They are a scam and they don't work....Eating real food is all you need to stay healthy...Vitamin and mineral supplements should only be used if you have been diagnosed with vitamin/mineral deficiencies...Protein powder is completely unnecessary if you are already eating things like beef, chicken, eggs and dairy.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-09-20, 05:22 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
the gains you think you are getting from supplements is all in your head, and that's ok if it makes you work harder, but the supplements in and by themselves do nothing, and any doctor will tell you that, and they'll also tell you that a well balanced food diet is all the supplements you need...unless your body doesn't absorb certain things in food but your doctor can tell you that with a blood test.

Plus you said you noticed gradual improvements over a 3 month period, well guess what? you were riding your bicycle, those improvements came from riding the bike regularly and not from the supplements.

Supplements can actually do more harm than good over the long haul:
https://healthfully.com/supplements-...r-6187990.html
https://www.self.com/story/taking-too-many-supplements
https://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/eff...any-vitamins#1

Some doctors might suggest taking a supplement, but guess what they suggest taking? a cheap once a day multivitamin. There are some good supplements that can benefit people, but mostly older people: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...ntial-benefits Some people have iron deficiencies need to take iron pills, but only under doctors care because you can OD on iron; certain older people need vitamin B12, but again a doctor will test to see if you are deficient in that area.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 06-09-20, 05:40 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
I'm a big believer in "Better Living Through Chemistry", and I take vitamin D3, B12 (sublingual), eye vitamins, multi vitamins for 55+ guys, vitamin C 1000mg and a potassium caplet daily. And a discreet amount of testosterone cream applied to a secret location on my person. More expensive pee? That's exactly what I'm going for.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 06-09-20, 05:49 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I find that a glass of recovery drink mix, which is basically whey protein and maltodextrin, after a ride, helps to prevent soreness the next day. Real food would do the same job, but I'd eat too much of it.Other than that, vitamin D because... well, Michigan.
Old 06-09-20, 05:58 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,671 Posts
Never any supplements for me, unless plain M&Ms count. Last time I went to a doctor (around 8 years ago, I think, so I'd have been about 60), he said "You're healthier than 99.999% of American men your age." I was disappointed that he threw in that "your age" dig.

There's a Training and Nutrition subforum, by the way; you'll find plenty of supplement discussions there.

Last edited by Trakhak; 06-09-20 at 06:03 PM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-09-20, 06:09 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

Same

Caffeine is a drug, in my opinion. I'd much rather supplement and support digestion, metabolism, including the aiding of transportation and the break down of fats via amino acids.

C,D3 & K (those 2 go hand in hand), B12, B6, CoQ10, Cats Claw, Magnesium, fish oil, Chlorella

I don't buy into the whole Supplement mix game market BS though, take what is beneficial, take what you need. Take what you don't get in food anymore.

At the end of the month I have spent way less on supplements than most have spent on sports drinks, Not counting coffee etc...

L-lysine and Actyl-L carnitine have been very benificial, as has been SAM-e. SAM-e has been huge towards fighting tinnitus.

no this isn't an anti -coffee post, I like coffee, like I like black licorice. I just come from a place where I don't need coffee to function.

Lyme disease killed my enzyme production, so I also supplement super enzymes with my food.

Last edited by Metieval; 06-09-20 at 06:14 PM.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 06-09-20, 06:11 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
There's some great supplements, some that are a waste of money, and some that are flat-out dangerous.

Lumping all supplements into one category, as some do, is quite fallacious.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 06-09-20, 06:19 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
A maintenance dose of creatine which is 5 grams is the most useful supplement in the long run. I like the Pre Jym, pre workout powder.
Old 06-09-20, 06:22 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I even supplement dirt daily, well close enough to dirt. Sedimentary rock

Diatomaceous earth

It's what we are Dirt. (dirt and water) We die, we dehydrate, and well we come Dirt again.
Old 06-09-20, 07:36 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Coffee helps keep me good-looking.
Psyllium helps me go fast. Or go, anyway.
Old 06-09-20, 07:52 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Every other day
  • 1/2 of whatever multivitamin Costco had on sale when I last ran out
On the off days from above
  • 2000 iu Vitamin D3
  • 1000 mg Vitamin C
Old 06-09-20, 08:34 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
I was going to comment, not merely just to do so, but from a factual, knowledgeable point of view, however, Ross520 already did.
Old 06-09-20, 08:55 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Vitamin I
Old 06-09-20, 10:25 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
I am diabetic and take Metphormin as a prescription which has been shown to deplete vitamin B. My cycling was an utter struggle until I figured this out and adjusted.
Old 06-09-20, 11:02 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
3 words.
Little
Chocolate
Donuts

Old 06-10-20, 03:54 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I take Vitamin D and Magnesium but I'm rather haphazard about it. I also drink beet juice with a little Collagen. I tried Creatine and discovered that I was started to get "Palumboism" aka: bubble gut. So, I stopped that. Lost 2" in my waist.
Old 06-10-20, 05:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
For years I took no supplements, not even a multivitamin. I just ate a good healthy diet.

Then I ended up with Hashimoto's, an auto immune disorder that ended up with thyroid cancer on one lobe (surgically removed, no chemo so far) and left the remaining lobe barely functional. The docs plan to leave it intact as long as it doesn't also become cancerous, just in case it still contributes a little something to my metabolism and bone health.

Meanwhile I suddenly had zero energy, could hardly get out of bed other than to pee, bone density loss, and a bunch of other problems. I used to heal very quickly from any injury and rarely scarred. But for awhile I wasn't healing. I was also hit by a car in 2018 and it seemed to take forever for the shoulder to heal. Bone scans showed I had a bunch of minor fractures that I wasn't aware of.

Worst of all, I couldn't seem to metabolism alcohol anymore. I loved beer but it doesn't love me anymore. For awhile I tried cutting back to just one, once in awhile, but still felt sick within an hour or so. Not worth the hassle. Haven't had a beer or other alcohol since December. Saves a lot of money. I really enjoyed local craft beer, which is pricey stuff.

My doc prescribed large doses of vitamin D and calcium. I started taking a bunch of other supplements. In addition to a regular diet (now leaning more toward full carnivore, less sugary fruit, some veggies, fewer carbs), I use whey and legume protein powders -- mostly to mask the flavor of the other supplements, some of which are bitter. Various amino acids, depending on my workout/ride schedule, extra niacin pre-ride/workout. Concentrated spinach powder and beta-ecdysterone from various sources. Creatine, especially on days when I don't eat red meat. I eat a lot of liver.

Seems to help. I went from pretty good shape for age 60 before the thyroid thing to being unable to do much more than walk for months. Now I'm a bit stronger and faster than I was three years ago.

There's no single supplement that's a magic bullet, although creatine and niacin seem to have a fairly quick and noticeable effect. The others, particularly the beta-ecdysterone, are more medium term and take a few days to notice, including when I discontinue them for awhile.

And a bunch of steroid inhalers for chronic upper respiratory inflammation. I've had elevated monocytes for months. PITA but I'm doing okay all things considered.

I may be making mostly expensive pee, but I'm still spending less money that I did on craft beer.

I've lost a lot of body fat, down from 175 lbs when I resumed cycling in 2015, and down from 160 before the thyroid cancer to between 145-150 now, close to my optimum weight in my 20s.

I don't sunburn anymore, which is weird. I used to burn easily, even when I used sunscreen. Now I don't use sunscreen at all and just get brown -- although I've got that old dude uneven mottled tan from uneven melanin, vitiligo from the Hashimoto's. And more freckles. I don't care. I'm just curious to see whether it helps with my vitamin D and bone density during my next scan.

I'm not advocating this mess for anyone else. Just seems to work okay for me.
Old 06-10-20, 05:24 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

Eat well
sleep well
Hydrate.
and only a few beers.
thats it.
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 06-10-20, 05:59 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

I am curious as you reference that you took them in the past and you also reference that you feel the benefits when you take them.
Why did you stop taking them in the past?
Did you not feel the benefits of them back then only because of ‘conventional science’?
Old 06-10-20, 06:21 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I'm a supplement skeptic. I don't have any science to back up my thinking, just opinions based on my personal experience. I don't take any supplements and I'm in the camp that says that, generally speaking, the necessary nutrients can be had from a well-balanced diet. I'm not dogmatic about it - if there's a known deficiency or health issue and there's evidence a targeted supplement will help, by all means, I would take it. From my personal experience, I don't see supplements - at least not at this point in my life - as necessary or helpful.
Old 06-10-20, 08:16 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I have always avoided supplements. About 2 weeks ago I started experimenting just to see. I've started taking Curcumin for joint pain, Magnesium on the advice of my PCP to help reduce leg cramps during intense exercise and oral electrolyte only before and after a bike ride, also to help reduce craps.

So far too early to see any real benefit but it has only been two weeks. We shall see. I don't intend to go any further than this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.