Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Unrepairable front wheel...what to do?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-17-20, 02:02 PM
Bad Robot

Bikes: old Reynolds DB frame with 600EX groupset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Collision with a teenager on their MTB and my front wheel is now no longer functional.

So, what to do....the rims and hubs are going back awhile, they are Shimano 600EX on Mavic Open SUP CD.
Mavic do a rim that is very similar in cross-section, the Open Pro and it does come in the mid grey similar to the old rim. Would this be a good replacement?
Old 12-17-20, 03:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Yes, the Open Pro is a pretty similar rim to the Open SUP. IIRC the opens were not a machined brake track, like the open Pro's. To me the machined sides are much nicer. I also believe the two models don't share their ERD so expect to get new spokes (a good idea anyway). Do service the hub first to confirm it's bearing condition is still worthy for a new rim. Andy
Old 12-17-20, 04:03 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
If you want to keep it as is just check ebay for an exact replacement rim, might find a used one cheap or NOS for more money. As Andrew R Stewart recommends, change the spokes, not worth reusing.
Old 12-17-20, 04:08 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Unless a very close cosmetic match to your old front wheel is of major importance, find out what a complete good quality new wheel will cost. You might find the cost of a new rim, new spokes and the labor to build them on your old hub is close to or exceeds a complete new wheel.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-17-20, 04:32 PM
Bad Robot

Bikes: old Reynolds DB frame with 600EX groupset

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Yes, the Open Pro is a pretty similar rim to the Open SUP. IIRC the opens were not a machined brake track, like the open Pro's. To me the machined sides are much nicer. I also believe the two models don't share their ERD so expect to get new spokes (a good idea anyway). Do service the hub first to confirm it's bearing condition is still worthy for a new rim. Andy
thanks for the tips, Andrew.
So if the brake surface is not machined, then I guess the anodising will wear uneven. It’s not exactly uneven, it wears different around the eyelets area. Doesn’t seem to affect braking.
I did find some Open Sport rims for a good price and the shop will lace them on my hubs with new spokes(serviced the front today and no corrosion, seems smooth). Was actually thinking to get both front and rear done, then they match and the price for the pair is decent.
Old 12-17-20, 06:11 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
Bad R,
Have you checked at your local co-op for a used wheel or pair of wheels? In our co-op a wheelset is not costly, under $50 even for better sets. Smiles, MH
Old 12-17-20, 06:48 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
I’d do what Andy suggested. You might want to check the cost, but if you’re riding 35 year old wheels, and you really like the bike, don’t cheap out unless you have/want to.

The alternative would be looking for a complete good used wheel. There are used Open SUP wheels out there. Getting a complete front wheel with a 64xx or 74XX hub might be nice.

John