Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bad crash tonight

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 11:06 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Bad crash tonight

I was on the final mile of a favorite ride tonight when I had a pretty darn bad crash. I was standing on my pedals climbing a hill when something in the drivetrain gave way with all the pedaling resistance disappearing in a split second.
I was applying so much force to the pedals that I ended up throwing myself over the handlebars and then the bike landed on top of me.
This isn’t the first time I’ve needed my wife’s skills as an RN🙄 and so glad she was there. Multiple broken ribs, deep cuts into my right elbow and knee (fatty tissue exposed)
One of the nicest surprises of the entire thing was how quickly numerous people came running over offering help. In this time of Covid it would not have surprised me if I was avoided but that was not the case.
I was loaded into the vehicle of a stranger who drove us the mile or so back to our own vehicle and then loaded our bikes into my truck for me.
The wife called her hospital to see how busy ER was and they were stacked to the ceiling with numerous serious patients so I told her to just go home. I’ve had broken ribs before, there’s nothing you can do for it.
Feeling pretty good at the moment with a strong Tequila Sunrise but I bet tomorrow morning is going to hurt😕
I was riding my ‘77(?) Peugeot PX60 that I’m very fond of. Clearly the front wheel is history, just hope nothing else is damaged.
[/img]

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-29-20 at 08:38 AM. Reason: no gore pics
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 12-28-20, 11:11 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Wow sorry to here that. Thanks for the pics.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 12-28-20, 11:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Yikes. What a terrible accident. I admire your great attitude and applaud your rescuers. Heal quickly.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-28-20, 11:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yikes. Glad it wasn't any worse. I know what you mean about broken ribs. I've never gone to a doctor for busted up ribs, and didn't realize how many I'd cracked over the decades until I got a full body bone scan a year or two ago and the ortho report noted several healed fractures. I'd just assumed those were bruises and strained intercostal tissue, not breaks. I figured if I could feel crackling it was bad enough to get to the hospital in case there was a puncture risk.

Did the chain break? I'm not seeing a chain on the bike in the pickup bed.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-29-20, 12:05 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
May you heal quickly...........you've got an in-house medical expert, so be a good patient and follow her directives..... Rest comfortably, and maybe avoid watching any funny movies without the sound muted during the funny parts........................because Laughing, Sneezing, or Coughing is not enjoyable with banged-up ribs. Take it easy and get well soon, oh and don't forget just how good you've got it with your wife being an RN,.....so try not to be too cranky of a patient. Get better soon!
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 12-29-20, 12:08 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
sounds like you snapped the chain, you manimal! heal quickly and rest those massive guads.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-29-20, 01:50 AM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Having broken many ribs too, I hope your wife knows how to diagnose a pneumothorax- that might actually need X-rays to confirm. That kept me in the hospital for a couple of days.
Likes For Geekage:
Old 12-29-20, 06:30 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Man, sorry to hear. Buddy of my had a similar experience, also when sprinting through the last mile of his ride. Like you be had half a dozen people stop to help, a neighbor he didn't know even took his bike home for him. He, unfortunately, broke several ribs, punctured both lungs which dumped air into his chest cavity. His blood absorbed the air and he ended up 2 days in a coma with the equivalent of the bends. He swelled up like a flipping raisin. Hasn't been on a bike since.

BTW I had a freewheel slip just like that on me once. Put me down but not as hard as you.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 12-29-20, 07:12 AM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Sorry about your crash. Hopefully your injuries won't be too painful and you will have a quick recovery so you can get back out on your bike soon. For the benefit of others do you have any idea of what failed on your bike to cause the crash? Did the chain snap or did it fall off? Did something else break?

I am always concerned when out of the saddle standing on the pedals and putting a heavy load on the drivetrain. I also try to keep my butt near the saddle and be ready in case something snaps.

Good luck with your recovery.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 12-29-20, 07:15 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 435 Posts
Mojo sent for a speedy recovery (and hope the bike is repairable also).
Likes For freeranger:
Old 12-29-20, 08:28 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I'm glad this wasn't worse and hope you heal quickly. Bummer that the ERs are so busy with the pandemic that there is little comfort in visiting them for trauma. I had a similar crash a number of years ago - climbing a hill out of the saddle when I broke my DS crank. I couldn't believe how quickly I hit the road surface. Other than some road rash and bruising, the most significant injury was a ruptured bursa in my left elbow.

After you've healed a bit, perhaps you can update your post to let us know what actually failed.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 12-29-20, 08:37 AM
CerveloPro1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Speedy Recovery!
Likes For CerveloPro1:
Old 12-29-20, 08:40 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Sorry you crashed. I deleted the pic of your arm, we don't allow gore pics.

That must have been a hard crash, I've never seen a tacoed wheel as a result of going over the handlebars
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-29-20, 08:51 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
sounds like you snapped the chain, you manimal! heal quickly and rest those massive guads.
Yep, that’s what it looked like since there’s no chain over the rings now
Old 12-29-20, 09:59 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse. WIshing you a speedy recovery.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 12-29-20, 10:13 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Yep, that’s what it looked like since there’s no chain over the rings now
If you enlarge the picture it's still there. I'm going with the ring flexing enough to drop the chain. Had that happen and my foot came off the pedal and onto the ground in front of the crank. Still sport a shark bite in my calf. Humanity to the rescue, heal well.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 12-29-20, 10:39 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Ouch. I broke 9 ribs after passing out then hitting a tree. Not fun for a few months.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 12-29-20, 10:40 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Sorry to hear this, Tomm. Heal fast!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-29-20, 10:44 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Sorry you crashed. I deleted the pic of your arm, we don't allow gore pics.

That must have been a hard crash, I've never seen a tacoed wheel as a result of going over the handlebars
My apologies on posting that, to be honest I was pretty looped when I wrote the thread. I’m surprised it was as coherent as it was.
Old 12-29-20, 10:50 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
My apologies on posting that, to be honest I was pretty looped when I wrote the thread. I’m surprised it was as coherent as it was.
Two Wheels Riding leads to Crashing.
I like the Damage Pics. They are Part of Riding.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 12-29-20, 11:26 AM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Hope you feel better soon and do not have anything worse than you think you have. I've had a couple of occasions where my feet have come off the pedals--each time resulted in a bad-enough crash. Since I restarted riding, figuring that out has been my biggest riding challenge.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 12-29-20, 01:38 PM
Dhos1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow...get better.
Likes For Dhos1:
Old 12-29-20, 07:58 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,271 Times in 1,273 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash. If we ride long enough we succumb to some form of misfortune. I am glad to hear you are recovering with the help of your wife. The humanitarian efforts of those “strangers” is great to hear. I have had two bad crashes in my 45+ years of road cycling , one ended in a hospital visit for an entire day and broken bones. Injuries heal and hopefully you will be pedaling away to new adventures soon. Godspeed !
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-29-20, 09:58 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I was on the final mile of a favorite ride tonight when I had a pretty darn bad crash. I was standing on my pedals climbing a hill when something in the drivetrain gave way with all the pedaling resistance disappearing in a split second.
I was applying so much force to the pedals that I ended up throwing myself over the handlebars and then the bike landed on top of me.
This isn’t the first time I’ve needed my wife’s skills as an RN🙄 and so glad she was there. Multiple broken ribs, deep cuts into my right elbow and knee (fatty tissue exposed)
One of the nicest surprises of the entire thing was how quickly numerous people came running over offering help. In this time of Covid it would not have surprised me if I was avoided but that was not the case.
I was loaded into the vehicle of a stranger who drove us the mile or so back to our own vehicle and then loaded our bikes into my truck for me.
The wife called her hospital to see how busy ER was and they were stacked to the ceiling with numerous serious patients so I told her to just go home. I’ve had broken ribs before, there’s nothing you can do for it.
Feeling pretty good at the moment with a strong Tequila Sunrise but I bet tomorrow morning is going to hurt😕
I was riding my ‘77(?) Peugeot PX60 that I’m very fond of. Clearly the front wheel is history, just hope nothing else is damaged.
sorry about your crash. I just had one myself last month and gave myself a bruised cheek bone and cut on my leg.

hope you recover quick. Use lots of ice.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 12-29-20, 09:58 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Sorry about your crash, get well soon!
Likes For Reynolds:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.