Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disengaging from SPD-SL pedals

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-02-21, 01:55 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Even though I’ve been road cycling since 2008, I only recently made the switch from SPDs to SPD-SL pedals. I wanted a wider pedal platform and needed to replace my existing shoes anyway, so I figured now was the time.

Since making the switch, I’ve noticed they seem much harder to disengage from than SPDs. Even after loosening the pedal tension as much as possible, they still don’t seem nearly as responsive. It’s interesting to me that they’ve become so popular given this issue, but I realize it could just be the adjustment and that some people may find it more challenging than others.

Interested in hearing other’s experiences.

TIA.
Old 01-02-21, 02:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Correct, the release tension is higher than SPD. You either get used to it or stop using it and go back to SPD (is what I did).
Old 01-02-21, 02:36 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I use both spd and spd-sl. I do feel like the spd-sl are a bit harder to disengage, but not bad. I find both types have their advantages over the other. My biggest drawback on the spd-sl is the lack of durability for the cleats. It does not take many steps before they start being destroyed. I purchased a pair of covers for them to take with me on rides, but I have not used them yet. I get off my bike considerably more than I used to, even shorter rides.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-02-21, 02:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Tour with SPD. Road bike uses SL. No problem unclipping with either.

The relative force required is irrelevant unless it causes problems.
Old 01-02-21, 02:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
They certainly take an intentional and definite heel rotation. Much more so than SPD in my experience.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-02-21, 03:14 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
Even though I’ve been road cycling since 2008, I only recently made the switch from SPDs to SPD-SL pedals. I wanted a wider pedal platform and needed to replace my existing shoes anyway, so I figured now was the time.

Since making the switch, I’ve noticed they seem much harder to disengage from than SPDs. Even after loosening the pedal tension as much as possible, they still don’t seem nearly as responsive. It’s interesting to me that they’ve become so popular given this issue, but I realize it could just be the adjustment and that some people may find it more challenging than others.

TIA.
I switched to SLs years ago after Looks for a number of years. Can't say I noticed any significant difference in ability to disengage - they require a good heel-kick, but I'd rather that than an unintentional release. Also haven't noticed any particular fragility as a result of walking on them. Walking wear doesn't impinge on the surfaces that interface with the pedals in my experience - the front and rear interfaces face upward toward the sole of the shoe, and the downward-projecting "feet" keep the center surface off the ground. That's not to say that they're fun to walk in - clearly not - but they're better than my old Looks in terms of wear resistance and "roadholding"

Last edited by Litespud; 01-02-21 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-02-21, 04:28 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
It's not an issue, you're just used to really **** pedal/cleat interfaces. You'll get used to it.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 01-02-21, 05:26 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I used both SPD and SL, probably equally. SL pedals require marginally more force, but has never presented a problem for me. Perhaps OP set the SPD tension super low, or the tension on the springs is faultily low.
Old 01-02-21, 06:43 PM
cafzali

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Perhaps OP set the SPD tension super low, or the tension on the springs is faultily low.
I didn’t have the SPD tension set that low. To me, spring tension should only be enough to have a firm connection with the pedal and no danger of coming unclipped unexpectedly. My initial impression on these SPD-SLs is there’s so much tension not only is there no way I could come out unexpectedly, but a great deal of force is required to come out when I want to. If you’re in a higher traffic area, it becomes a bit of a pain.
Old 01-02-21, 06:45 PM
cafzali

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
It's not an issue, you're just used to really **** pedal/cleat interfaces. You'll get used to it.
To me, it’s all about functionality. The only thing that you could say is less than optimal about SPDs is the decreased surface area can lend itself to “hot spots” on the feet of some. Otherwise, they’re cheap, simple and functional. That’s not exactly*****.
Likes For cafzali:
Old 01-02-21, 06:59 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
After a 1000 mile week with my touring shoes on I switched back to my road shoes. Fell off right outside my house because my legs forgot about the extra force needed to unclip.
Old 01-02-21, 08:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Huh. After 15 years on SPD-SL, I bought some SPDs for a bike, and find them trickier to get out of. Maybe it's just what you are accustomed to?

Either way, they are both very usable.
Old 01-04-21, 12:02 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Something sounds off here. I've never used SPDs before, but I've never felt like my SLs required too much force to unclip - except for when I first got them and their tension was set to the maximum. Nearly dislocated my knee (is that a thing?) trying to get my foot out.

At the lowest tension level, especially once the cleats wear a bit, I have absolutely no issue getting my feet out. I don't even need to do a special twisting motion. I can just kick sideways and the twist happens automatically. That's saved me a couple times.

I actually run my tension somewhere around 20-30% of max. More for races. Any less and I'd be afraid of an accidental unclip.

I've used 105 (5800) and ultegra (R8000) pedals and both seem similar. My crappy old R540 pedals were probably a bit lighter, but also a bit "stickier" if that makes sense. What pedals are you using?
Old 01-04-21, 04:46 PM
cafzali

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
At the lowest tension level, especially once the cleats wear a bit, I have absolutely no issue getting my feet out. I don't even need to do a special twisting motion. I can just kick sideways and the twist happens automatically. That's saved me a couple times.

I actually run my tension somewhere around 20-30% of max. More for races. Any less and I'd be afraid of an accidental unclip.

I've used 105 (5800) and ultegra (R8000) pedals and both seem similar. My crappy old R540 pedals were probably a bit lighter, but also a bit "stickier" if that makes sense. What pedals are you using?
I'm using R-550 SPD-SLs. I loosened the tension after that first ride quite a bit, so we'll see how that goes. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to take them for a spin since then.

It's funny, but where I lived when I first started cycling, I wouldn't have worried about this much because I could go an entire 20-30 mile ride and barely, if ever have to disengage. But now I'm in a more heavily populated suburb with much more frequent red lights and it's more of an issue.
Old 01-04-21, 07:26 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Give your foot a slight twist in the other direction (heel in) before disengaging. They also get easier as the cleats and pedals wear.
Old 01-05-21, 04:42 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
SPD-SLs seem to have a higher minimum tension than SPD pedals in general, and newer models seem to have a higher tension than older ones. Going from PD-5700 to PD-R8000 I was surprised to how much stiffer the release felt on the new ones even though it was set to minimum tension. I adapted after a couple of rides, but I still find it a bit unnecessary. It is not a big enough issue that I would want to switch to another system over it.
Old 01-05-21, 01:10 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
I use the 105 pedals on all the ponies. early on, after a couple reeeeely embarassing, um, events ("FRED DOWN IN ASILE FIVE"), I started visualizing my foot rotating before trying, as though my heel was just circumscribing a "6pm to 3pm" circle (almost always left foot first, so I can rest it on the curb at stops). "throw the heel out hard" is the thought, and I think of it moving in a rather not-true-to-life way. gets me out clean on time all the time now. my tension is about as low as I can set it, feet never release unexpectedly.
Old 01-05-21, 02:53 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
I use the 105 pedals on all the ponies. early on, after a couple reeeeely embarassing, um, events ("FRED DOWN IN ASILE FIVE"), I started visualizing my foot rotating before trying, as though my heel was just circumscribing a "6pm to 3pm" circle (almost always left foot first, so I can rest it on the curb at stops). "throw the heel out hard" is the thought, and I think of it moving in a rather not-true-to-life way. gets me out clean on time all the time now. my tension is about as low as I can set it, feet never release unexpectedly.
How do you rest your left foot on the curb at stops? Isn't the curb on the right?
Old 01-05-21, 04:52 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
I recently got DuraAce SPD-SL pedals with blue cleats and set the pedals at the middle of the tension range and find that the dis mount is as easy if not easier than with my former SPD Look cleats (red) with LOOK SPD pedals .
Old 01-06-21, 07:23 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
How do you rest your left foot on the curb at stops? Isn't the curb on the right?
There are many countries in this world, and many of them do things differently than each other

-Australia
Likes For SapInMyBlood:
Old 01-06-21, 07:23 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I have two left feet.
Old 01-07-21, 05:28 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, my SPD-SL cleats/pedals have a bit more release tension and friction than my Look Delta. It's a combination of spring tension and friction from the rubbery bits that make SPD-SL cleats a little better for walking or setting down a foot at stops. Makes clipping/unclipping feel a bit spongy compared with the old Look Delta cleats/pedals. Other than that, the two systems are very similar.

Try a bit of wax on the friction surfaces on the cleat and pedal. A candle will work fine, or a bit of leftover scented candle wax -- that stuff is soft and easy to dig out with a finger. Smear it around the external surfaces of the cleats, and mating surfaces on the pedals. Clip in and out a few times. It'll help a little.
Old 01-07-21, 08:36 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts

TIA.
What model of SPD-SL did you get?

Also, what do you mean by ''responsive''? I tried both and I prefer SPD-SL even if they're a little harder to disengage. In fact, I feel safer that way. I wouldn't call it an issue.
Old 01-07-21, 09:44 AM
mark_schiess

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
increase tension and replace cleats
Old 01-07-21, 09:51 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by mark_schiess
increase tension and replace cleats
Increase tension? The whole thread is about hard disengaging.
Replace cleats? Chances are they're brand new if he bought pedals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.