Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trashed freewheel on my Trek FX-1 - now what??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 07:29 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts

On my daily commute I pass over several rail crossings, always heading down hill so usually going fast so the rear wheel takes a bit if a pounding The bike started making a rumbling noise that I could also feel, I thought it might be the bottom bracket so took it in to the Trek store. The tech guy listened to it and said it sounds more like the freewheel has a problem, that the BB seems fine. So, what to do next. They can replace the freewheel but recommend moving up to a freehub like what's on all the other FX models above the FX-1. Can't trade it in on an FX-2 or 3 because there aren't any available now. So, like I said, what to do? And what is involved in the switch? The guy already said it will require a new wheel, how much will that cost?
Old 04-06-21, 07:39 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You'd need 1 of the following things. Either:
1) A cassette wheel and a 7 speed cassette.
2) A cassette wheel and an 8 speed cassette/shifter/chain.
3) A cassette wheel and a 9 speed cassette/shifter/chain.
You could go 10 or 11 speed as well.

Cost? Probably somewhere around $200-300 including labor.
Old 04-06-21, 07:41 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,204 Posts
Freewheels are cheap- like under $50, easy.
Wheels are more expensive- like over $100, easy, plus the cassette which will be about the same cost as a freewheel.
Even in Canada.
Assuming your tech guy is correct, the common sense thing to do is replace the freewheel.
Old 04-06-21, 07:49 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
IF the hub itself is trashed, you may as well "upgrade" to a Free Hub style.
Since you'll only find 8 speed & above FH's, a 4.5mm spacer needs to be added to use the 7 speed cassette.
IF you want to upgrade, this could be a more convenient time to go to 9 speed. Ypu'd need 9 speed shifter, chain & cassette.
Old 04-07-21, 08:54 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I think it really needs to be determined what the problem is. The shop mechanic is just offering an educated guess. Could be wheel bearings, a broken axle, or ?? Older freewheel hubs, especially lower range types have a higher rate of breaking axels due to their design. Since you like to cross RR tracks at high speed I would check that first. If you can remove the wheel yourself a broken axle will be obvious and you can at least rule that out if it's OK and go from there.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 04-07-21 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-07-21, 09:16 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
An FX-quality freewheel costs about $35. What appears to have happened is a broken axle in the hub. That usually happens because the drive-side locknut loosens, causing the drive-side cone to loosen, causing the axle to get bent and the ball bearings to create their own race into the axle instead rolling around the cone. That eventually saws the axle in two, but the quick-release skewer holds the hub together until you hit a good bump like a railroad track. I know because I've fixed dozens of these hubs. I remove the wheel, pull off the skewer, and two halves of the guts of a hub fall out onto the bench. This is preventable by a mechanic who makes sure the locknuts are TIGHT, plus annual maintenance that includes checking and adjustment of hub bearings.

A cassette hub is inherently stronger than a freewheel hub, mainly because the drive side bearing supports the cassette body. So upgrading the wheel is feasible, because both use 130 mm axles. You'll have to buy an 8-speed cassette, but your 7-speed shifter will allow you to only use 7, until you replace the shifter. So figure $45-60 US for a hub overhaul, or $100-130 for a replacement wheel plus cassette. Your priorities, your call.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 04-07-21 at 09:21 AM.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-07-21, 10:09 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I agree that a broken axle woud be far more likely than a broken freewheel. The freewheel does not support the weight of your bike when you bash over the railroad track, the axle does. Broken axles are fairly common on bikes equipped with 7 speed freewheels.
Old 04-07-21, 10:19 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
It depends on available funds, but if the freewheel is trashed, I would upgrade to a freehub and replace the wheel. If funds allow, upgrade from 7 speed shifter to 8, 9, or even 10 speed.
This issue, of Trek selling new bikes with Freewheels in 2020 and 2021 is a pet peeve of mine because IMO, there is no good reason other than cost cutting to put a freewheel on a new Trek retailing for $500. At most, upgrading to a freehub and 8 speed would add a couple of bucks to the retail price of the bike, but would save consumers like OP big money down the road. Now, some people don't ride over railroad tracks, but some do.

Last edited by MRT2; 04-07-21 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-07-21, 07:01 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Hi everybody, and thanks for all the input First of all, the railroad tracks are at a crossing, I'm not just blasting over rails. The guys at The Trek Store said they took a good look at things and they repacked the bearings in the hub and I should be good until they can locate a new wheel, freehub, cassette and may also require new shifters to match the new cassette. They're going to let me know pricing tomorrow. So I will actually end up having a FX-! with FX-2 drivetrain...funny seeing I originally wanted an FX-2.
Old 04-13-21, 07:32 PM
trainchaser

So my problems are going to be taken care of this Saturday at The Trek Store - the trashed freewheel is going into the trash bin.
As I mentioned, there was a problem with the freewheel hub on my FX1 so they are installing a new wheel with freehub and a new rear 7 speed cassette, no need to change the shifters. The only thing, small thing, is the rear wheel has black spokes and the front has silver...
A straight forward install and I'm good to go, price including labor is $200, I'm a happy camper...

Last edited by trainchaser; 04-13-21 at 10:21 PM.