Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nexus 3 speed issues

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Nexus 3 speed issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-21, 09:27 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Nexus 3 speed issues

A few years ago I bought a new wheel set with a Shimano Nexus 3 speed hub .
I’ve never been able to get it shifting correctly.
I’ve attempted to set it up and adjust the shifter without any luck .
I read some hubs came with the wrong length spring guide pin ( I think that’s what it’s called , the spring wrapped pin that goes inside the hub) , so I ordered what is supposed to be the correct pin and it’s the same length as the one that came with it .
Didn’t help .
Not using the yellow line to adjust the shifter , I was able to get it to shift up and down , once . Then it quit .
I removed the wheel and put it aside again .
Fast forward to today .
I’d like to give this wheel set and hub another try . I’ve been reading the Shimano manual and ,
I’ve read the shifter unit could be the problem , so I’ve ordered a new , complete shifter and cable assembly .
Those of you that are familiar with these hubs , what are my chances this will fix my problem or am I throwing more money down the rabbit hole . I’d love to have a lower gear on my Electra Cruiser for the hills around here .
Old 04-10-21, 10:47 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
The shift rod is specific to the axle length. The pin should protrude 14mm from the end of the axle at the point where it meets resistance when inserted. If this measurement is off, it is the wrong rod.
Likes For Dan Burkhart: