Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mixte Bikes

Old 05-13-21, 05:56 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Mixte Bikes

Are Mixte bikes specifically for women? Or do men ride them as well? The reason I ask is because I think this bike is fantastic, and I’d like to get one. I’m a man, if that wasn’t obvious. But I don’t know the history here. Or should I just ride what I like?

Linux Mixte 7i
Old 05-13-21, 06:05 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Short answer I mean not really but they sort of had that reputation but these days who cares and if you like it then ride it.

I think mixtes are cool as hell and I'd totally ride one if it came my way.
Old 05-13-21, 06:52 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
They were marketed as a girls bicycle many years ago, but these days they're just a practical bicycle frame - good for a female wearing a skirt and wants a step-thru , or for anyone who can't get their leg over a top tube on a traditional frame. Soma Fabrications might still be selling them, check out their website if you're interested somafab.com . There's is (was?) a thread in the 'Classic & Vintage' forums which was nothing but mixte pictures if you're interested in searching it.
Old 05-13-21, 07:00 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 2,045 Posts

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-throughs.html
Old 05-13-21, 07:38 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
I think history will show that Mixtes were marketed as a girls bike in the USA. When I was stationed overseas in Germany and Italy they were marketed as a Working Man's bike. To be sure the frame is very strong. They had beefy breaks and baskets front and rear with the rider more in an upright position. I never saw a Mixty over there with drop bars. As a matter of fact I never saw a Mixty over there that wasn't loaded to the hilt with someone huffing along or pushing it along in a walk.
Old 05-13-21, 08:11 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Rivendell has been building step through frames and marketing them to anyone who wants that style of bike. Typically it is hard to find a step through or mixte to fit someone who is 6 feet tall but at least with Riv you can buy a bike that fits. If you are shorter they have those also.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 05-13-21, 08:25 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Soma Fabrications might still be selling them, check out their website if you're interested somafab.com .
Yes, they do:
https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/buena-vista

Plenty of guys ride mixtes, they are great bikes. Ride what you like, man!
Old 05-14-21, 04:43 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by dylansbob
not really above average, but fairly uncommon. An early 90s *lugged* mixtie hybrid. Pretty low-end, but i thought it had ridiculous potential with it's clearances. Too big for my wife, now on cl..........

WOW!!! My wife has a Custom Paramount looking the same from the "Anything You Want" build time 1980. >>>" ...Marc was put in charge of re-building Paramount – almost from scratch. He started out by retooling the department including a new brazing fixture and alignment table. In June of ’80, the company decided it needed the Paramount back but that they would have to move out of the Chicago factory. Marc’s first bikes were built for Eric Heiden and the 7/11 team in 1980.

That year, Schwinn brought back the Paramount as a super-custom bike – “anything you want” for the then outrageous sum of $3,000. These became known as the “Elite” Paramounts... "

^^^ above from

https://waterfordbikes.com/w/culture...ord-1980-1994/
Old 05-14-21, 05:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Mixtes are cool for anyone. Would make a great commuter or city bike, IMO.
Old 05-14-21, 06:52 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Downsides of mixtes were how I finally convinced my wife to go to a standard frame for her latest bike:
  1. On hanging type automobile bike racks, often annoying and/or harder to hang with other bikes
  2. Harder or impossible to have two water bottle cages on top of down tube.
  3. Harder or impossible to use frame bag.
  4. You never wear a skirt riding, anyway.
  5. Men's sensitive parts are more a risk from a closer to horizonal part bar.
  6. Many if not most modern frames have "sloped-enough" top bars anyway.
Later on I upgraded to a platform-style rack and my wife said "Hey, wait a minute..." but by then she realized she liked the new bike better than the old "girl's bike" anyway.
Old 05-14-21, 07:21 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I gave up trying to find an old mixte frame that would work for me, and bought a large Public M8i a few years ago. I'm 6'2", and it works just fine for me. It's a fun bike to ride to work.
Old 05-14-21, 07:38 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
From what I gather, it is largely an American perception that they are women's bikes. I Europe I guess bicycle messengers and whatnot ride them as they are easier to mount and dismount with packages which makes sense.

But I too agree that they are attractive bikes. My wife wanted a vintage bike so I got her an '83 Bridgestone mixte to ride. She can't swing her leg over a top tube or saddle but the mixte was perfect for her. I wish she could ride drop handlebars because I have passed up two nice Univega mixtes I would have enjoyed working on.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-14-21, 08:03 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Mixte means "universal" and they're all over Europe; it was insecure US men who dubbed them "girls'" bikes. They're great if you have a rear basket full of groceries, or a kid; you can get on the bike without kicking them in the head or flinging your groceries all over the street. And if you have flexibility issues or injuries, or particularly large huevos. Ride what you like. That Linus looks sweet.
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-14-21, 08:08 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
I think there is also a military connection being low top bars were fast to mount, dismount, and were a stable design for carrying load.
Old 05-15-21, 07:22 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
All bikes are gender fluid.
Old 05-15-21, 09:04 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I built up an 80's Schwinn mixte frame for my 70 year old father. He's not very flexible so he can't manage a horizontal or even sloping top tube. Use whatever works best for you. Who cares what people think.
Old 05-15-21, 11:45 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
If I commuted by bike I’d rock a mixte.

I think they’re cool. I’d like to start running more errands by bike. If a mixte came up for the right price...
Old 05-16-21, 02:30 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
FIrst, always ride what you like. The step thru frame, of which mixte is just one design are getting popular as city and commuting, recreational bikes. Both Rivendell and VeloORANGE offer step-thru bikes. Personally, I really like the look of the mixte the most of the step thru variations, especially the older classic French and English designs. I have heard from the elves of the remote road, that a mixte with a checkerboard on the seat tube and drop bars is wonderful. But they are real vintage.

Of the Rivendell and VeloORANGE bikes, the VO offers disc brakes if that is your thing, the Rivendell does not. That Linus bike is a sharp looking bike, and appears to have the twin thin top tube design...