Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Takara in Western New York

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-05-21, 04:40 AM
miskines
Miskines

Bikes: 80's Takara Prestige, 90's GT Timberline, 2021 Scott Foil Pro, 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recently came across a Takara Prestige 12 Speed tossed out as garbage in Western New York. Its a fine example of a Japanese 80's build quality and I really like the way it rides. I remember the brand from when I was a kid as being better than department store brands. It seems like Takara was quite common in Western New York. Does anyone in BIKEFORUMS remember which local bike shops carried Takara? I talked to an old timer LBS owner Dick at Dick's Bike Shop on River Road in Tonawanda and he said he used to sell Takara.
Old 06-05-21, 05:37 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
If you upload a picture to your album, someone will post it and if you supply the serial, T-mar will narrow down your 80s to an exact years.

I have a couple of Takaras myself. An '80 and an '81. I had one in high school and it was a great source of enjoyment for me.

Old 06-05-21, 07:59 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 2,325 Times in 1,374 Posts
I was told - can't recall by whom, that Takara was started by a group of investors who wanted to import bikes to cash in on one of the bike booms. Apparently one of the investors was from Buffalo or thereabouts and had local connections within the bike store community of Western New York. As a result when Takara was launched, almost all the local stores carried them.

I've had at least 4 Takaras and still have a frame set. That frame set is powder coated so no stickers but I'll look for photos of the others because IIRC all had come from different stores.

When my desktop died 6 weeks back, I lost most of my photos.

Edit:
Here is one that survived. Not best photo but all I had "Ray's Bikes" Tonawanda

Last edited by WGB; 06-05-21 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-05-21, 09:26 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Takara was introduced in late 1973, for the 1974 model year, when Bob Moore and Lee Connor decided to create a new brand, in order to obtain better pricing. They persuaded 10 distributors to invest in their new company, Takara Cycles (later Takara Bicycle Co.), which operated out of Moore Cycle Supply in Oklahoma City. The western New York state distributor was the Howard W. Georger Co. of 50 Dewberry Lane in Buffalo. So, as suggested by WGB, there probably were a number of dealers in the region.

The bicycles were quite a hit with dealers when they were introduced. The bicycles were fully assembled and tested at the Kuwahara factory in Japan. Then the stem was loosened and the handlebar assembly removed, without disconnecting the cables. The bicycles were shipped in oversize cartons, to accommodate the intalled front wheel. All the dealer had to do was insert the stem, tighten it, give the bicycle a quick once over and perform a a minor tweak or two due to shipping issues.

While Kuwahara was initially the prime source, by the 1980s Takara was being manufactured by other Asian manufacturers. Still, there is a good chance that we can determine the build date from the serial number.
Old 06-05-21, 10:14 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

This brochure shows an OKC address for the Takara Bicycle Company. I got the brochure with a Takara Deluxe 12 I found on craigslist. There is not a Prestige listed in the brochure so I'm interested in seeing what you have. A few people have posted Takara Elitists on here too that were better equipped bikes than any in this early 80s brochure.

Both of the Takaras I have had shop stickers from Fay's Bicycle Shop in Tulsa. So I have always assumed the Deluxe 12 was possibly originally bought in Independence, Kansas where the brochure is stamped and traded later at Fay's or the other way around. I bought the Deluxe Touring I had in high school from Curtis Sporting Goods in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. I had seen ads for Takaras in magazines as a kid so I suppose they were like everyone else trying to distribute their bikes as far as they could across the country.

Old 06-05-21, 10:39 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Chuck M
...There is not a Prestige listed in the brochure so I'm interested in seeing what you have. ...
I've come across some Takara Prestige. Those samples appeared to be circa 1982-1984 and upper entry level based on plain gauge CrMo tubes, SunTour AR derailleurs, Sugino No.5 cranksets, 27" aluminum rims and hubs that had a QR on the front but nuts on the rear. Based on this, the forks and stays were likely hi-tensile steel. It will be interesting to get the OP's serial number and see how closely the specs match. While not expecting an exact match, they should be similar level.
Old 06-05-21, 01:43 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Interesting regional connections with this brand.

Do you have the serial number? Also, the decal near the top of the seat tube appears to be a frame material decal; what does it say?

Photo assist:

Old 06-05-21, 04:01 PM
T-Mar

That photo is pretty much what I was expecting, based on the other Takara Prestige. The derailleurs are SunTour AR and the rims are 27", though I can't tell id they are aluminum or steel.. The rear hub is nutted while the front has a QR skewer. The crankset is a bit nicer thann on the other Prestige and it has what appears to have a Tange 900 or 1000 decal, so it might be slightly newer. Still, the claw mount rear derailleur suggests hi-tensile stays and likely fork blades too, Taken in conjunction with the stem mounted shift levers and seat post with a separate saddle clamp, everything is pointing to upper entry level. Now all we need to complete the puzzle is the serial number.
Old 06-05-21, 05:08 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 2,325 Times in 1,374 Posts
My number is JS40897080.

Actually it was typed as

​​​​​​JS408970
Old 06-06-21, 05:13 AM
miskines
Miskines

Bikes: 80's Takara Prestige, 90's GT Timberline, 2021 Scott Foil Pro, 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the photo assist, as a new member I can't post images until I make the 10 text only minimum. My serial number is LS580#### with a 75 below. It's on the bottom for the frame under the crankset. I believe it was manufactured in December of 1985 (using the Japan S(1) coding scheme. I really like the way the bike handles. New chain and new racing slicks. I amazed how good the build quality is. Obviously it not Italian steel but what a capable bike for the money.
Old 06-06-21, 06:33 AM
miskines
Miskines

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very good detective work. Yes TANGE 900, SAKAE CT handlebars, neck just has the word Custom; in cursive font, Araya aluminum rims, Suntour AR II rear derailleur, Dia Comp side pull brakes, Suzue hubs, SR 170 crank (also says SAKAE CX) SR 807 52 tooth main gear, not sure on the secondary. Just took it for a morning 3.3 mile jaunt through Kenmore/Tonawanda Englewood area, average speed 19.7 mph. This thing can fly. I haven't even serviced the hubs or crankset yet. Thinking about some period correct cosmetic upgrades ,my wife thinks I'm nuts, white leather saddle, move the shifter to the downtube, thinking Suntour ARX, QR rear axle and maybe DIA COMP AERO brake levers with white hoods and new old stock Benetto cello-tape in white.
Old 06-06-21, 06:37 AM
miskines
Miskines

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, I forgot what do you guys think.about removing the dork disk?
Old 06-06-21, 06:48 AM
miskines
Miskines

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My exact serial is LS5800014 with a 75 underneath. It's stamped on the bottom frame under the crankset. Pretty sure it's an '85. The dork disk is plastic.
Old 06-06-21, 09:00 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
LS5..... would match the S(1) serial number pattern, which would make it built in December 1985, so most likely a 1986 model. Your suggested mods would certainly move it up a notch. Your call on the dork disc. If it's brittle and really yellowed (hard to tell from the photo), I'd remove it, and just make absolutely sure that the low limit on your derailleur is set properly. If it's in good condition, it's a reflection of the bike's originality. I think removing the dork disc BITD was more of a status thing than anything else.
Old 06-21-21, 11:00 AM
miskines
Miskines

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Takara Prestige Vintage Component Upgrade (not finished yet)

Takara Prestige 12 speed with vintage upgraded parts, Turbo Saddle, Dia Compe Aero brake levers, Dia Compe Alpha 5000 brakes, SR SP-150 pedals, SR Lapadre seat post, new tape but not vintage, should I go back to Benetto Cello0Tape?

Takara Prestige front view with improved brake cable routing.

Takara Prestige rear view. Continental Gatorskin Hardshell 27"x1 1/4" (32mm) tires
Likes For miskines:
Old 06-21-21, 11:31 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
That's nice! I briefly thought the Takara I'm currently restoring might be the nicest Takara in the world today, but yours looks a bit nicer! Excellent work. (But can we talk about the saddle angle...)
Old 06-22-21, 06:10 PM
miskines
Miskines

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, the saddle is a bit nose down. When I'm really cranking, I crouch down in a aero-position and push myself to the back of the saddle. The upward flair on the saddle gives me just that extra leverage. I set the saddle height by sitting on the midpoint saddle, straight leg to heel of foot on the pedal. Now you have me curious about proper riding/racing technique. I'm sure that's been figured out. Time to read up.
Old 06-22-21, 07:25 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Originally Posted by Andy_K
That's nice! I briefly thought the Takara I'm currently restoring might be the nicest Takara in the world today, but yours looks a bit nicer! Excellent work. (But can we talk about the saddle angle...)
I think my well preserved and unrestored 1981 950 Deluxe 12 and 1980 970 Grand Touring are pretty nice Takaras. Is your Takara a 980 or 990?

1981 950 Deluxe 12

1980 970 Grand Touring

Old 06-22-21, 09:45 PM
lottafreaks

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail, Raleigh Twenty, Takara Advantage, Schwinn Stingray... others

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Takara Advantage mixte. I found it at a thrift shop here in Wisconsin. I have seen its diamond frame counterpart locally. Mine bears a sticker from a local bike shop that has been defunct for a long time.

I have often wondered about its past since it's not easy to find information about these bikes. The serial number is stamped on the seat tube. Some of the numbers have worn away over the years. I see P6XXX161. Likely full serial is P6431161.

I can't provide any pictures at the moment. I have the bike disassembled for a much needed overhaul. I've ridden it into the ground over the past 4 years or so. It had drop bars when I bought it. I changed them to north roads because I like to ride upright. Other than that and new tires, it's original. Friction stem shifters with a 2x6 drivetrain, Shimano derailleurs AX50 front and RS rear. Not only is it my daily commuter but I also choose it consistently for joyrides, and it plows through terrain from steep hills to potholed roads.

I found a blog with some information on the Takara brand and a picture of a diamond frame Takara Advantage that has the same colorway as mine. I can't post links yet because my post count is low, but if you search up Takara Advantage and check out the bike boom blog with the white and teal Takara, it mentions Oklahoma as the place of origin.
Old 06-23-21, 12:01 AM
Andy_K 

I think my well preserved and unrestored 1981 950 Deluxe 12 and 1980 970 Grand Touring are pretty nice Takaras. Is your Takara a 980 or 990?
Mine is a 1976. The names were different then. I think it’s a Model 8, based on comparisons to the 1975 brochure. The components are original except for the wheels, but I repainted it and took some liberties with the graphics, like copying the seat tube stripes of later models like yours.
Old 06-23-21, 12:04 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by miskines
Yeah, the saddle is a bit nose down. When I'm really cranking, I crouch down in a aero-position and push myself to the back of the saddle. The upward flair on the saddle gives me just that extra leverage. I set the saddle height by sitting on the midpoint saddle, straight leg to heel of foot on the pedal. Now you have me curious about proper riding/racing technique. I'm sure that's been figured out. Time to read up.
If it works for you, that’s the important thing. The typical recommendation is to set the saddle level, though many people using leather saddles tip them up a bit.
Old 06-23-21, 04:12 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by lottafreaks
I ride a Takara Advantage mixte. I found it at a thrift shop here in Wisconsin. I have seen its diamond frame counterpart locally. Mine bears a sticker from a local bike shop that has been defunct for a long time.

I have often wondered about its past since it's not easy to find information about these bikes. The serial number is stamped on the seat tube. Some of the numbers have worn away over the years. I see P6XXX161. Likely full serial is P6431161....
The serial number format for your Takara Advantage is consistent with Pacific Cycle, a Taiwanese manufacturer who typically built entry level models. The serial number indicates 1986 manufacture, though it could be 1987 model if manufactured late in the calendar year.

You can upload photographs. Ignore the 10 post warning, which is meant to discourage spammers. While the photographs will not attach to a post, they will upload to a gallery album under your user name, where members can view them.
Old 06-23-21, 04:24 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Originally Posted by Andy_K
Mine is a 1976. The names were different then. I think it’s a Model 8, based on comparisons to the 1975 brochure. The components are original except for the wheels, but I repainted it and took some liberties with the graphics, like copying the seat tube stripes of later models like yours.
You did well on the repaint. And the chrome on the fork crown and rear dropouts looks great. Where did you get the Takara graphics on the downtube?

Old 06-23-21, 06:43 AM
Andy_K 

You did well on the repaint. And the chrome on the fork crown and rear dropouts looks great. Where did you get the Takara graphics on the downtube?
I used doityourselflettering.com — Not the exact font, but it’s close.
Old 06-23-21, 06:58 AM
miskines
Miskines

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I adjusted it to level after my morning ride. I was sliding forward. Now I'm level. Thanks you.