Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pashley - not quite vintage but…

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-25-21, 12:17 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts

I was eye-balling, ogling some of these online and some are literally EVERYTHING I want in a bike. Anyone have one? Thoughts?

BTW - Yes, they aren’t cheap but I could easily sink $1k into one of my old bikes and still fall short of the overall package. Old is neat and all that but…
Old 06-25-21, 02:57 AM
hydrocarbon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Depends on the model. I like the look, they're decent bikes for the money, but the one I had (Roadster) used a 5-speed Sturmey Archer hub on 110 mm spacing and it turned to peanut butter in about a week. So I'd avoid that particular model if they still make it with that crap hub.

Other than that, everything else seemed pretty well-made for the price and it was fun to drop kitted-out roadies on the flats with the old tank. Maybe not an everyday bike, but it sure is nice to have if you get one with a hub that actually works right.

Last edited by hydrocarbon; 06-25-21 at 05:45 AM.
Likes For hydrocarbon:
Old 06-25-21, 05:48 AM
hydrocarbon

The saddle and hubs (other than that worthless 5-speed) are pretty valuable so it's a lot of bike for the money.
Seatpost is bendy mild steel; might want to swap that. Some minor quality-control issues like headset tension and the like, but nothing that someone who actually knows bikes can't sort out.

Likes For hydrocarbon:
Old 06-25-21, 06:58 AM
RustyJames 

Originally Posted by hydrocarbon
The saddle and hubs (other than that worthless 5-speed) are pretty valuable so it's a lot of bike for the money.
Seatpost is bendy mild steel; might want to swap that. Some minor quality-control issues like headset tension and the like, but nothing that someone who actually knows bikes can't sort out.

I freakin’ love that rear stand!
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 06-25-21, 07:15 AM
hydrocarbon

Originally Posted by RustyJames
I freakin’ love that rear stand!
Ha, thanks. Lots of thoughtful touches on this like wheel guards, pump pegs with actual pump (the pump doesn't work so great unfortunately), decent generator hub with lights, good shifter, solid mudguards, wheel lock, proper tires, amazing saddle and that cool centre stand.

Really can't complain for the money.
Old 06-25-21, 08:46 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
jamesdak just got a pashely his is pretty cool maybe he will post and share ride comments

Old 06-25-21, 09:33 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Well this is a timely post. I picked up a Pashley Guv,nor earlier this year. It wasn't cheap but it is beautifully made. It also rides so well and despite the weight (compared to my road bikes) it moves out quite well and carries speed easily. I mostly use mine for after dinner rides around the little town I live it. I've got a route of about 11 miles I do on it. Now I always do a "workout" ride of 25-30 miles on a road bike after to work. So a lot of my time spent on the Pashley is with sort of tired legs. I never feel like I'm struggling to make this one go and it's actually quite comfortable to be on after a ride on a racier bike. I've spent some time on gravel with it too and it manages that very well, stable and smooth. I've done several rides of over 20+ miles on it with no issues at all. The paint and wheels and such are very beautiful on the bike with a high gloss and some pinstriping on the wheels. All and all a great purchase. They shipped the bike in the biggest and heaviest duty bike box I have ever seen to include a bottom section on the box built up more like a pallet. Inner cardboard sections of the box served as both supports to prevent crushing and to lock in components. The bike arrived mostly assembled but not fully tuned out of the box. I did have to tune things in a bit but no big deal. Not a lot of communication from the distributor during the buy or the waiting period and shipment of the bike but things turned out just fine. This one is for fun cruising so the 3-speed IGH and drum brakes are just fine. I was tempted by the 5 speed IGH Morgan but the black and brown of the Guv'nor just tickled my fancy. The 3 speed works well for any of the hills I encounter on this one, even on the longer rides where I hit some short steep ones and a longer 2 mile upgrade.

Out of the box

As I've got it dialed in now. MKS Touring Next pedals with half clips added, top tube protector, bottle cage, and a decent leather bag.

Hard to catch the shine but the paint is really quite nice. Lugs are not a thing of beauty but this is based on a 1930's design

Pinstriping on painted rims is a nice touch.

By comparison yesterday I got in the Azor bike I had ordered a couple of months ago. The buying experience from Amsterdam Bicycle Company was soooooo much better than with the Pashley. Lot's of communication making sure I got the bike custom configured exactly as I wanted, lots of info on how the build would good, shipping, etc. Some changes to the shipping method due to Covid that worked up just fine. The new shipper's online tracking site was terrible in terms of accuracy but Steven at Amsterdam kept an eye on things for me and let know when the bike was actually out for delivery despite the tracking site showing it still across the country from me. The Azor was well packed also and damage free on arrival. But to be fair Pashley sent there bike in a stronger box. The Azor was shipped mostly assembled also but unlike the Pashley it was obvious Azor fully built up the bike and tuned it in before taking parts off to ship. The Azor powder coating does not have the sheen of the wet paint Pashley but I'm betting the Azor will be more durable over the years. Everything on the Azor speaks to quality and durability. I only got about a mile on it yesterday for a first test but all parts worked great and man was it a smooth ride. Kudo's also for Azor sending me digital copies of both the shop manuals and user manuals for various things like the roller brake, 8 speed IGH, etc. And they sent a nice vinyl zippered bag with basic tools needed for assembly and maintenance. This bike if for utility mainly so I spec'd up the heavy duty racks, fat tire, strong two legged kickstand, upgraded roller brakes, a dynamo hub running both lights, and then the nice Brooks saddle and grips to make things more pleasant. I got the "women's" step through frame because it just makes sense for a ease in getting on and off a loaded up bike.

No real pics of the Azor yet but here it is built up with my crate already on the front rack.

The actual bike in the garage this morning.

Side view of the bike from the website as I built it up.

Obviously it comes down to what you want the bike to do but I'd also look at the Azors. They have a lot of different bikes and tons of ordering options. They have a bike configurator you can use to fully customize a bike as you want and then send that build to a distributor to get it ordered. Pashley is much more of a take it as we build it type thing. The Azor took about 1/2 the time of the Pashley to be built and shipped.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 06-27-21, 03:37 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Just to add to this a bit for anyone that finds it searching on Pashley's. Did my longest ride on the Guv'nor this morning. 41 miles around the valley I live it. Had not planned on going that far but this bike just carry's you in such comfort that you don't want to get off. I don't know how to qualify how good it does on the shallow hills but it just seems to keep rolling up them on it's own. Mixed route today of rough bike path, smooth bike path, paved town roads, crappy chipseal roads and even some gravel. It handled all of it comfortably. Did some more "testing" of it today at higher speeds. The drum brakes pulled me down crisply from 25 mph and I still had more brake if I needed it. Did some higher speed runs in third gear holding 20+ mph easily and the bike tracked beautifully and seemed like it would easily carry this speed for as long as I wanted. I did add in some short steep hills today and one was not that much fun in 1st gear. This is one area where the bike doesn't shine. If you are used to standard road bike geometry this feels weird and cumbersome when you stand and climb with it. But that said, it went up just fine and there was no slipping from the 3 speed.

Last edited by jamesdak; 06-28-21 at 08:20 AM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 06-28-21, 09:42 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
It may not be old (vintage) but that Pashley Guv'nor certainly is a classic design properly implemented in this day and age. If you put a steel, cottered crank on it, it would be difficult to tell its age.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 06-28-21 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-28-21, 11:24 AM
RustyJames 

Universal cycles has a DEEPLY discounted Pashley in stock in my size. It’s not a city bike like the discussed bikes above. Pashley Clubman Country -

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=4678