Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

27" wheels for old but not fancy bikes?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-12-21, 04:24 PM
BertCooper

Bikes: Trek 414 or 412?, cannondale touring bike from 1993?, specialized hard rock, nashbar 4000x, etc. nothing fancy…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I've seen loads of discussion on 27" tires, but less so on sources for 27" rims/wheels.

I only see two manufacturers for 27" wheels, new (Sta-Tru, Wheel Master). Both seem to put me up to $100 if I want to replace both wheels. Is there any difference between the two (at that rough price, both seemed to use UCP spokes)?

Are there other, affordable sources for proletarian wheels?

Does it make more sense just to hunt down other cheap old bikes with 27" rims in reasonable true and just cannabalize?

While I might consider new wheels for my old Trek, seems crazy to put in $100 on wheels for old bikes worth $40 if that.
(... he says with some regret, having just dropped $175 at LBS so daughter's beaten up Schwinn World Tourist would brake and shift better...)

(Do folks simply convert to 700C and avoid the issue?)
Old 07-12-21, 05:17 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Here is one option that I have personal experience with.
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...dasohd40dpbl32

This is a nice set at an affordable price. The brake tracks are machined, and enhance braking performance to a degree. I have had these on a few bikes and never had a single complaint.
There are also sets that use Sun rims that are wider. Both make for a nice way to get an old bike back on the road.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 07-12-21, 05:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I prefer to think in terms of Total Cost of Ownership. If I get a great deal on a bike or frame, it doesn't hurt me that much to put some money into good wheels, or quality drivetrain parts. If you are one of those "I bought it for $X, so I can't put more than $Y into it" types then you'll paint yourself into a corner fast.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-12-21, 05:24 PM
BertCooper

Bikes: Trek 414 or 412?, cannondale touring bike from 1993?, specialized hard rock, nashbar 4000x, etc. nothing fancy…

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks- these look better than the other two - maybe for the Trek & Cannondale.
Old 07-12-21, 05:27 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
I can't think of a Trek old enough to wear 27" shoes that wouldn't be worth a couple hundred bucks in decent running order.

If toy're looking for new hoops, just convert the bike to 700c and never worry about tire availability again. Plus, you usually get more room for wider tires. It's only 4 mm difference in brake reach, so many bikes won't need new brakes. Unless you're doing an "as-sold" restoration, there's no reason to stick with 27" wheels if you're replacing the wheels anyway. And gently used, top-quality 126-spaced 700c wheels are available everywhere for small coin.

Now, to answer the question you actually asked, I've had 1 Sta-Tru wheel. It was just about exactly like very other cheap replacement wheel I've ever seen or owned... as long as you tension the spokes and repack the hub as soon as you take 'em outta da box, they work well and last for several years of moderate use. If that Sta-Tru hadn't been a singlespeed, it'd still be on my bike today. I got like 60 bucks for it on Craigslist, even.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 07-12-21, 05:33 PM
BertCooper

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Right. I'd say my Trek from 1981 is fully depreciated, so I can put more into it to keep it on the road (it was neglected in favor of the $40 Specialized Hard Rock with slicks that didn't need anything - including my time for maintenance). I kept telling my wife that going to the bike auction held by the local PD was "just for parts", now I have two bikes in storage, two hanging from the ceiling, two on the walls, and my side of the garage is 'unusable' because of four bikes on the floor. I think I just need to stop buying bikes, then I don't have to find parts... TCO mentality is fine, until your spouse asks you "how are you going to ride five bikes".
Old 07-12-21, 06:03 PM
BertCooper

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
I can't think of a Trek old enough to wear 27" shoes that wouldn't be worth a couple hundred bucks in decent running order.

If toy're looking for new hoops, just convert the bike to 700c and never worry about tire availability again. Plus, you usually get more room for wider tires. It's only 4 mm difference in brake reach, so many bikes won't need new brakes. Unless you're doing an "as-sold" restoration, there's no reason to stick with 27" wheels if you're replacing the wheels anyway. And gently used, top-quality 126-spaced 700c wheels are available everywhere for small coin.

Now, to answer the question you actually asked, I've had 1 Sta-Tru wheel. It was just about exactly like very other cheap replacement wheel I've ever seen or owned... as long as you tension the spokes and repack the hub as soon as you take 'em outta da box, they work well and last for several years of moderate use. If that Sta-Tru hadn't been a singlespeed, it'd still be on my bike today. I got like 60 bucks for it on Craigslist, even.

--Shannon
Thanks. I may just see what kind of stretch it is for the 700C for the various bikes (without having to do major adaptation). As far as replacement wheels, 'light to moderate' use is all they are going to ever get!
Old 07-12-21, 06:10 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
$100 for any decent set of wheels is a bargain, regardless of the frame it's going on.
Likes For clubman:
Old 07-12-21, 06:38 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by BertCooper
Right. I'd say my Trek from 1981 is fully depreciated, so I can put more into it to keep it on the road (it was neglected in favor of the $40 Specialized Hard Rock with slicks that didn't need anything - including my time for maintenance). I kept telling my wife that going to the bike auction held by the local PD was "just for parts", now I have two bikes in storage, two hanging from the ceiling, two on the walls, and my side of the garage is 'unusable' because of four bikes on the floor. I think I just need to stop buying bikes, then I don't have to find parts... TCO mentality is fine, until your spouse asks you "how are you going to ride five bikes".
One day/bike at a time, just like any other hobby, program, obsession, etc.
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-12-21, 06:38 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
The velomine wheels are fine but if your brakes will reach, you might as well go with 700 c
Old 07-12-21, 07:34 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
I mean I'd send you all my 27" wheels but when you're looking at $100 for a set the shipping basically makes it a non-starter.
Old 07-12-21, 07:41 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I prefer to think in terms of Total Cost of Ownership. If I get a great deal on a bike or frame, it doesn't hurt me that much to put some money into good wheels, or quality drivetrain parts. If you are one of those "I bought it for $X, so I can't put more than $Y into it" types then you'll paint yourself into a corner fast.
Those points above are really important. Bikes like 410s and 412s are well renown bikes with great reputations that are built well, ride well and command decent prices despite being at the lower end of the hierarchy.

If you've got a bike that you like riding; don't be a Mad Man- if you can afford it- use the good ****.

IMO- if you've got 27s on there, and they're good, and you don't really want to change- get good tires and go with it until you need new wheels. If you need new wheels, if your finances allow it- go to 700C. There's just a WORLD of better tires than Paselas, Sand Canyons and Continentals. If it's a Trek with 27s on it, it's probably not a "performance" bike, so you'll be able to run wider tires and make the ride even better for yourself.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-13-21, 04:48 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Here is one option that I have personal experience with.
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...dasohd40dpbl32

This is a nice set at an affordable price. The brake tracks are machined, and enhance braking performance to a degree. I have had these on a few bikes and never had a single complaint.
There are also sets that use Sun rims that are wider. Both make for a nice way to get an old bike back on the road.
I've bought a few sets from Velomine and only ever had one small issue. On one set, which they identified as having been returns and priced accordingly, one hole had been drilled out for a Schrader valve. I drilled the other to match and rolled merrily along....
Old 07-13-21, 06:33 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I can't think of any reason to put any money into anything 27" it's dead with slim tire choices that can and will dry up instantly.

If you had a bunch of 27" stuff laying around and can build your own wheels the case for 27" get better, but longer reach brakes makes more sense long term to me.
Old 07-13-21, 10:55 AM
BertCooper

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Those points above are really important. Bikes like 410s and 412s are well renown bikes with great reputations that are built well, ride well and command decent prices despite being at the lower end of the hierarchy.

If you've got a bike that you like riding; don't be a Mad Man- if you can afford it- use the good ****.

IMO- if you've got 27s on there, and they're good, and you don't really want to change- get good tires and go with it until you need new wheels. If you need new wheels, if your finances allow it- go to 700C. There's just a WORLD of better tires than Paselas, Sand Canyons and Continentals. If it's a Trek with 27s on it, it's probably not a "performance" bike, so you'll be able to run wider tires and make the ride even better for yourself.
So I'm convinced. It's been many a moon since I built my own wheels, and it doesn't look like the savings would be significant even if I did. I do have extra 27" tires, so I think I'll stick with them on the Trek, at least, for the time being. (The wheels on the Trek and Cannondale were cannabalized from bike auction or yard sale bikes, and not the alloy rims they came with. So, I'll spring for new wheel sets for both, and then my wife and daughter can have the steel 27" wheel sets as spares for their heavy duty Schwinns, as appropriate!)
Old 07-13-21, 12:12 PM
2fat2fly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Not that I disagree that the Trek 410-412 bikes were great bikes, but it wasn't but a few months ago I was reading the replies to a guy who was looking at a new old stock Trek 412 and he basically got jumped all over about it being a low end bike not worth more than a few hundred bucks.
I think the same seller, who was on CL also had a bunch of new take off 27" wheels from various very early 80's Trek bikes. They were listed in NJ.
A buddy bought a set for $200, they were basically brand new 1980 Trek 412 or 512 wheels with Rigida 1320 rims, Campy hubs, and original skinwall tires.
I wouldn't have thought the tires would be much good but he's been riding them all summer with no issues.
The guy had something like 20 brand new bikes still in the box, most were tall frames. I haven't seen the listings for any bikes in a while but I do see him listing some wheels from time to time. I think the guy buys out old bike shop inventories in the NY/NJ area.

Most folks around here though simply will not put more than a few dollars into fixing any bike, I've gotten a few really nice bikes lately after they realized a good set of tires would run them over $50. More if you want anything decent. They toss a vintage Raleigh or Schwinn to the curb and go buy a new something with tires that hold air.

The selection of 27" tires is still decent but its mail order only these days around here. The few bikes shops that are left just don't stock anything, 27" or other.

All through last year though there didn't seem to be any shortage of high end tires, just those that were affordable, so if your after better quality tires, the supply of expensive tires didn't seem to be hampered by the pandemic.
Old 07-13-21, 12:24 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
I have had really good satisfaction with Machine Built wheels. When I get them I check them over carefully. Often I have had to make adjustments, mostly due to spoke tension. Of course we don't know what these wheels are going through during transport. One rear wheel I got I just loosened all the spokes and re-dished it. It was still a bargain for me due to the unavailability of economical hand built wheels...
Old 07-13-21, 12:32 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
Just got a new to me bike with 27's wheels are in great shape (and interestingly enough are early shimano cassette) so I just got new velox tape, conti tubes and paselas. If they ever die I will move to 700c, but for now and the use as a run errand bike work great

Old 07-13-21, 01:29 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by BertCooper
Right. TCO mentality is fine, until your spouse asks you "how are you going to ride five bikes".
Bert, we wrote the book on excuses. Stick around, we'll talk you through this. 5 bikes is the minimum qualification to get in the 'society'. Congrats, you're in!
Likes For clubman:
Old 07-13-21, 02:57 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by 2fat2fly
Not that I disagree that the Trek 410-412 bikes were great bikes, but it wasn't but a few months ago I was reading the replies to a guy who was looking at a new old stock Trek 412 and he basically got jumped all over about it being a low end bike not worth more than a few hundred bucks.
I think the same seller, who was on CL also had a bunch of new take off 27" wheels from various very early 80's Trek bikes. They were listed in NJ.
A buddy bought a set for $200, they were basically brand new 1980 Trek 412 or 512 wheels with Rigida 1320 rims, Campy hubs, and original skinwall tires.
I wouldn't have thought the tires would be much good but he's been riding them all summer with no issues.
The guy had something like 20 brand new bikes still in the box, most were tall frames. I haven't seen the listings for any bikes in a while but I do see him listing some wheels from time to time. I think the guy buys out old bike shop inventories in the NY/NJ area.
I don't know the thread you're talking about- but if it's like the people that buy out unsold entry level inventory and try to sell them for $600-$1000... I'm not up with selling prices, but historically, a decently set up Trek 410/412 has been worth a couple hundred bucks. It's not a $40 bike, but it's not made of gold- it's a respectable, utilitarian frame that makes for a solid mid-level bike. Trek's "entry level" in the late 70s early 80s was a CrMo main frame with HiTen stays and fork. They're not museum pieces, they're not prestigious racing models, they're not particularly rare- so even a pristine one just isn't worth a whole lot more than "a good bike with a Trek head badge on it."

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 08-04-21, 04:03 PM
BertCooper

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know the thread you're talking about- but if it's like the people that buy out unsold entry level inventory and try to sell them for $600-$1000... I'm not up with selling prices, but historically, a decently set up Trek 410/412 has been worth a couple hundred bucks. It's not a $40 bike, but it's not made of gold- it's a respectable, utilitarian frame that makes for a solid mid-level bike. Trek's "entry level" in the late 70s early 80s was a CrMo main frame with HiTen stays and fork. They're not museum pieces, they're not prestigious racing models, they're not particularly rare- so even a pristine one just isn't worth a whole lot more than "a good bike with a Trek head badge on it."
As an interim measure, Saturday I bought a Trek 1000 for $200 at the local bike swap so I have time ride while I to fix or forget the Trek 412 (and the 1990s Cannondale fat tube touring bike). Of course, the wife pointed out when I got home that I bought a bike with an aneurysm in the rear tire (good catch, because when it blew out like a loud gunshot five minutes later, I wasn't actually riding the thing.) Hopefully, the 700c x 25 tires I just happened to have will fit in place of the 23s it came with, since I'm a lower pressure kind of person. I almost didn't buy it because I couldn't figure out how to shift - no downtube shifters, so I had to find a friend at the swap who showed me how to use the brake lever to shift (duh!)
Old 08-05-21, 07:26 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts

Check your local CL under "Bike Parts". When I needed a 27" rear wheel for one of my bikes, a guy had offered a brand new set of 27" Alex rim wheels for $25/each.(he bought wrong size by mistake) Was nearby, and when I told him I only wanted the rear, he said I was the only person responded to ad, so take both for $25. Later used the front on another bike. That was few years ago and given depressed vintage prices now, you may find a wheel for $5. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 08-05-21 at 07:27 AM. Reason: correction
Likes For ollo_ollo: