Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Giant Revolt Advanced 2 Wheel upgrade?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 07-22-21, 09:14 PM
mwatt65 

Bikes: Giant Escape Disc 1 Giant Revolt Pro 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Giant Revolt advanced 2 looking for wheel & tires upgrade advice, was thinking of Reynolds or Zipp 303 not really sure. I will only be riding on roads, no off road or gravel. Any thoughts are welcome, budget $1500 to $2k.
Old 07-23-21, 12:42 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Which Zipp 303 or Reynolds? What about DT Swiss? Or Light Bicycle.

I've never bought a whole wheel or set from Light Bicycle, but I do use a set of their rims on a wheel set I rebuilt. I'm very happy with them. DT Swiss makes excellent hubs and wheel sets, as well. Gravel or road (asphalt) their ARC1400 wheel are an excellent bulletproof option.

It'd be helpful to provide a little more info, though. Are you looking for "aero" rims, what's the intended use (tubed clincher, or tubeless), what width of rubber are you thinking of?
Likes For Badger6:
Old 07-23-21, 07:13 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 178 Posts
I just got a wheelset from Light Bicycle and it was about $1,400 shipped. They came with a 5 year warranty and you can pay a bit more for lifetime. Another few hundred for a new cassette, rotors, tires, etc.

I got the FALCON PRO WHEELSET WR38 DISC CX/Gravel with Sapim CX spokes, DT Swiss 240 54EXP hubs - quoted weight 1428g. The wheels came packed well, trued and ready to go. They were super responsive with communication throughout the process and the wheelset was built and shipped from their North American warehouse in Canada.

You might not want or need the wider profile of the rims I got, but they have many options and I've heard that if you don't see the exact spec you want available on their site that they will work with you to get you what you want. Check the Light Bicycle Wheels thread here on BF.
Old 07-23-21, 03:17 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 276 Posts
I'm going for the Zipp 303S on my new build... They look great and the price is right (about $1300). Weight is about 1540 grams. I'll let you know how they feel once I get the bike... Enve has their new more affordable line too. Both Enve and Zipp now have lifetime warranties. I'd stick with the big names... Good luck.
Old 07-23-21, 04:01 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
The equivalent DT Swiss wheelset is better quality: uses straight pull spokes, and the hubs are lighter. I'd not write them off, unless the cost for them in the US is exorbitant (which it could be based on the last POTUS and his stupid trade wars with the EU).
Old 07-23-21, 04:43 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
The equivalent DT Swiss wheelset is better quality: uses straight pull spokes, and the hubs are lighter. I'd not write them off, unless the cost for them in the US is exorbitant (which it could be based on the last POTUS and his stupid trade wars with the EU).
I'd rather live 2020 again vs 2021.
Gas/fuel was cheap enough that it gave extra money to pay the tarrifs 100x over on bike parts.

I like litebicycle. Pick your spoke , pick your nipples, pick your hole #, pick your hub. Pick straight, pick j bend. Pick your hoop, hook less or hooked, offset or no. Pick your internal width. Pick your depth.

Basically get what you want instead of compromise.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 07-25-21, 07:18 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I am a big fan or prebuilt wheelsets as they are a great value and with the repetitive process on assembling the same parts and the parts are spec'd for optimal performance together. If you are on the heavy side or hard on wheels go with Reynolds as they have unlimited weight limit (the only ones?) and are excellend as far as warranty.
Old 07-26-21, 10:08 PM
jayp410

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
I just got a wheelset from Light Bicycle and it was about $1,400 shipped. They came with a 5 year warranty and you can pay a bit more for lifetime. Another few hundred for a new cassette, rotors, tires, etc.

I got the FALCON PRO WHEELSET WR38 DISC CX/Gravel with Sapim CX spokes, DT Swiss 240 54EXP hubs - quoted weight 1428g. The wheels came packed well, trued and ready to go. They were super responsive with communication throughout the process and the wheelset was built and shipped from their North American warehouse in Canada.

You might not want or need the wider profile of the rims I got, but they have many options and I've heard that if you don't see the exact spec you want available on their site that they will work with you to get you what you want. Check the Light Bicycle Wheels thread here on BF.
I just ordered the same wheelset, except with the Carbon Ti hubs. For turnaround time, they're saying 12-14 weeks so sometime around the end of October. I'm hoping the hubs and 24 spoke count will be OK for me - I weigh about 205 lb currently.
Likes For jayp410:
Old 07-27-21, 10:05 PM
CeeDotA

Bikes: 17 TCR Advanced 2, 21 Revolt Advanced 3, 16 Trinity Advanced

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I just ordered a set of AR36 carbon wheels from Light Bicycle, for my Revolt Advanced 3. Novatec hubs, Pillar spokes. Plan to wrap them with 700x35 Continental Terra Speed tires. They just shipped from their factory in China, so I expect them here in about 3 weeks. I ordered them at the end of June.
Old 08-06-21, 01:06 PM
duffetta 

Bikes: 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced Pro 1, 2019 AllCity Macho Man commuter, 2015 Fuji Gran Fondo Shimano 105

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I came here to ask essentially the same question. Looking for a road-only wheelset for my 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced Pro 1. I love the CXR-2 wheelset on that bike, but would rather run something smaller than 40mm when I'm on the road, and I'd like to put something with a bit more grip on the CXR-2 wheels for when I'm on gravel or offroad (I've done single-track on those Maxxis Velocita 40mm tires, but I wished for more grip). I looked at the Giant SLR-2 wheelset that come on the Defy Advanced Pro, but they are pricey and tubeless tire options seem limited because of their hookless design. Light Bicycle looks like a great option. Thank you!
Old 08-06-21, 01:10 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by duffetta
I came here to ask essentially the same question. Looking for a road-only wheelset for my 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced Pro 1. I love the CXR-2 wheelset on that bike, but would rather run something smaller than 40mm when I'm on the road, and I'd like to put something with a bit more grip on the CXR-2 wheels for when I'm on gravel or offroad (I've done single-track on those Maxxis Velocita 40mm tires, but I wished for more grip). I looked at the Giant SLR-2 wheelset that come on the Defy Advanced Pro, but they are pricey and tubeless tire options seem limited because of their hookless design. Light Bicycle looks like a great option. Thank you!
My Light Bicycle wheelset has been excellent so far. For the wheelset I mentioned above I'm using 38mm Specialized Pathfinder Pro's and they have a great profile with the wider rim width my wheelset has.

Try to spec a wheelset on their site and compare it against whatever specs you are looking for to see the quoted price and weight. If they don't have what you want in their configurator hit them up and tell them what you want. My understanding is that they are happy to help you get what you want.
Old 08-06-21, 03:04 PM
mwatt65 

I'm still struggling, the more I look the more confused I get. What I do know is I want carbon wheels & tubeless road tires, guessing in a 32 or 35, willing to spend $1500 to $2000 for everything.
Old 08-06-21, 03:07 PM
mwatt65 

The more I think about it I want to trade the bike in & get the Revolt Advanced Pro 1 Which come with all the carbon bits, plus Di2. How are the wheels on the Pro 1 compared to a set of Zipp or Reynolds?
Old 08-06-21, 08:25 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by mwatt65
The more I think about it I want to trade the bike in & get the Revolt Advanced Pro 1 Which come with all the carbon bits, plus Di2. How are the wheels on the Pro 1 compared to a set of Zipp or Reynolds?
Maybe a slight weight penalty on the Giant wheels. No I dea haven't really compared weights recently.

I know when they first put pro on market it had a narrow road carbon wheelset. Apparently the 2021 pro have Giant's carbon gravel wheels on them.
Old 07-28-22, 05:34 PM
barberalucia

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are these Giant cxr carbons easy to mount with say gp5000's or is it a pain, anyone k

[QUOTE=Metieval;22174344]Maybe a slight weight penalty on the Giant wheels. No I dea haven't really compared weights recently.

these Giant cxr carbons easy to mount with say gp5000's or is it a pain, anyone k
Old 07-30-22, 04:44 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Giant does make some excellent wheels, but they do not get a lot of recognition for them.

The new Reynolds ATR and G700 wheels look excellent. Higher-end have i9 hub internals. Straight pull, unlimited weight and lifetime warranto to original purchaser. And price is very reasonable for what you get. I ride an older ATR set and am considering the G700s for my next bike.
Old 07-30-22, 04:52 PM
mwatt65 

I took advantage of the giant trade up program & got the 2021 Revolt Pro 1 late last year, I have been very happy with it. I joined a cycling club, I do have to work harder on the B* rides I have changed the tires down to Panaracer 38 might drop them down to a 32 so I don't have to work as hard.
The one thing I have noticed is how they shout out bump or hole & I don't feel them.
Old 08-27-22, 03:09 PM
duffetta 

Bikes: 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced Pro 1, 2019 AllCity Macho Man commuter, 2015 Fuji Gran Fondo Shimano 105

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
My Light Bicycle wheelset has been excellent so far. For the wheelset I mentioned above I'm using 38mm Specialized Pathfinder Pro's and they have a great profile with the wider rim width my wheelset has.

Try to spec a wheelset on their site and compare it against whatever specs you are looking for to see the quoted price and weight. If they don't have what you want in their configurator hit them up and tell them what you want. My understanding is that they are happy to help you get what you want.
I just bought a Shimano GRX wheelset and will put 43mm GravelKing SK on them. Will report back.