Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Acadia Carriage Roads

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Acadia Carriage Roads

Old 01-23-12, 06:30 PM
jeff51

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Acadia Carriage Roads

The recumbent-riding, touring cyclists who write BicycleTouringOnCarFreePaths have added the carriage roads of Acadia National Park to the non-commercial website -- information on the paths, why you'd want to ride them, and how to plan for the trip.

https://bicycletouringoncarfreepaths.org/

The Great Allegheny Trail, C&O Canal, Pine Creek Trail, Greenbrier River Trail, P'tit Train du Nord, and Mickelson Trail are also covered in detail on the website.

If you ridden any of the paths, and want to tell other touring cyclists about the best beer and ice cream, campsites, and lodging possibilities, hope you'll add your recommendations -- or disrecommendations, as the case may be -- to the Riders Suggestion pages for all of the trips.

It's getting to be touring season, right?

Jeff

Last edited by jeff51; 01-23-12 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-24-12, 06:18 AM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm done the GAP, C&O, and P'tit Train du Nord trails as point to point rides over a few days and while I spend 2 weeks each summer in Bar Harbor riding the carriage roads as part of our family vacation, I don't consider them really "touring" trails. The former as all linear trails providing off road paths between towns and distance points. The carriage paths are wonderful riding, but are loops within a very narrow geographic area. You can cover most of the trails in a day and surely everything within 2 days. Nice riding, just not what I thiink of as touring.
Old 01-24-12, 06:23 AM
seaworthy

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, Cannondale T2000, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed. They're recreational riding for a day or two (or after work--I live near the trails), or could be a tiny part of a tour, but they're not a tour in themselves.

Last edited by seaworthy; 01-24-12 at 07:02 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-24-12, 11:56 AM
CampDaley

Bikes: Trek Domane, Salsa Vaya, Trek Farley 5, Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeff,

Thanks for posting the link to https://bicycletouringoncarfreepaths.org/. It's a wonderful resource.