Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

' APD [Albuquerque] placing 22 bike officers throughout the city'

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-24-19, 06:17 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts

https://www.abqjournal.com/1344443/a...-the-city.html
Do these guys do any good? I see them around, haven't seen them addressing any crime. The shared-use trails are safer than the rest of Albuquerque. Homeless living on them are the only problem. I almost ran over one at night
Old 07-25-19, 05:13 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Think about how much more aware of our surroundings that we are when we're on a bike as opposed to in a car. While cycling, I am very aware of my surroundings. I believe that it is the same way for LEOs. It is also a good visible presence.

My wife and I were in Chattanooga for a few nights several years back. While out on the patio of a downtown restaurant, I counted something like 5 cop cars with their lights going for no reason. I asked our waitress "Why the light show?" She told us that groups of "hooligans" would come into downtown and cause problems, so that was the cities response to the problem.... Squad cars with lights running.
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 07-25-19, 08:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
1. Just because you haven't seen them "addressing" crime doesn't mean they haven't been. (Personally, I have seen bike cops collar at least one suspect.) And mere police presence can deter criminal acts.

2. As the headline and article point out, their patrols are not limited to trails.

3. As the article also points out, police interaction with community members is important. Much easier to talk with a bike cop than a cop in a patrol car.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-25-19, 12:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
They're basically beat cops with a somewhat extended capacity to patrol. Their role is primarily deterrence and community relations. You put these guys where you want a visible police presence. The cars are for rapid response. I mostly see bike cops in downtown areas or other business districts.

Not sure what you mean exactly by "addressing crime". Outside of pulling people over for speeding, most times I see any police officers who ride in cars, they're just driving around. I generally try not to be at an active crime scene.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-25-19, 03:04 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I would prefer to see bicycle cops running 'undercover' and going after aggressive drivers.

CA has started to do that with their motorcycle cops. They'll go lane splitting, looking like any other bike, and nab those ******* drivers that think it's their job to keep motorcycles 'in their lane'.
Old 07-25-19, 07:36 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by bakerjw
Think about how much more aware of our surroundings that we are when we're on a bike as opposed to in a car.
I am, but cops are masters of oblivion.

out on the patio of a downtown restaurant, I counted something like 5 cop cars with their lights going for no reason. I asked our waitress "Why the light show?" She told us that groups of "hooligans" would come into downtown and cause problems, so that was the cities response to the problem.... Squad cars with lights running.
They like to flock together, especially if they can turn their lights on.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
1. Just because you haven't seen them "addressing" crime doesn't mean they haven't been.
Yes. I rarely see any cops addressing crime - good thing, too. I was just pointing out that I haven't seen them do it, and I'm on bicycle a lot.

(Personally, I have seen bike cops collar at least one suspect.)
You're 1 ahead of me.

And mere police presence can deter criminal acts.
Yes. I don't know that on bicycle makes them more present. I suspect less, the case with bicyclists in general.

2. As the headline and article point out, their patrols are not limited to trails.
I just meant to point out that the shared-use trails, best served on bike, aren't a particular problem.

3. As the article also points out, police interaction with community members is important. Much easier to talk with a bike cop than a cop in a patrol car.
Albuquerque's cops shoot people. I avoid them.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Not sure what you mean exactly by "addressing crime".
Just that I see them around, haven't seen them in action, while I have seen car and foot police in action.

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I would prefer to see bicycle cops running 'undercover' and going after aggressive drivers.
That's a better idea. Better yet, a cop not loaded up with all that hardware, who keeps an eye out, calls in the armed cops if s/he sees a problem. We have a lot of porch pirates and some homeless people in our neighborhood. A cop witnessing their thefts could be effective.
Old 07-26-19, 06:14 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur P*****y
I am, but cops are masters of oblivion.
Sorry but not all are. That includes my family and friends that are in law enforcement.

They like to flock together, especially if they can turn their lights on.
I guess that I should have clarified that this was over a several block range.

Oh, and welcome to the ignore club too.
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 07-26-19, 07:14 AM
Arthur Peabody

Sorry but not all are.
Why are you sorry?

welcome to the ignore club too.
You're the president?
Old 07-27-19, 01:17 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Why are you sorry?

You're the president?
Funny. I love seeing folks announce "I am ignoring you" as if that has any effect on the ignoree, and the mere announcement is an indicator that they were not ignored.

And of course, the real irony... here, folks on "ignore lists" still show in replies to others.

Last edited by genec; 07-27-19 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-27-19, 03:46 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by genec
"ignore lists".
What's an 'ignore list'?
Old 07-27-19, 05:10 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
What's an 'ignore list'?
You'll have to ask the folks that put others on "ignore." I just think the whole concept is weird... especially to announce. "You're on ignore... " as if THAT means anything.
Old 07-29-19, 08:13 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Funny. I love seeing folks announce "I am ignoring you" as if that has any effect on the ignoree, and the mere announcement is an indicator that they were not ignored.

And of course, the real irony... here, folks on "ignore lists" still show in replies to others.
Another funny non-issue is the silly posts that make it easy for others to ignore with just one glance due to their ignorable content being wrapped in hey-look-at-me visual idiosyncrasies (large or colored fonts, scads of nested quote boxes, goofball smilies, and/or verbose signatures listing their pets or other nonsense)

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-29-19 at 08:19 AM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-29-19, 01:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Actually, it means I'm ignoring that person from now on, not that I've been ignoring them up to that point. I find there's some people I'm better off not getting sucked into any more stupid arguments with, and making the big show of slamming down the telephone forces me to actually ignore the person going forward or look like an idiot.

I've got a few trolls on my list who are obviously on a bunch of others--all I can see is that they post something occasionally, and no one responds to them at all.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-29-19, 02:16 PM
Arthur Peabody

Actually, it means I'm ignoring that person from now on
That's what I wanted him to do. In the bad old days I had to tell annoying people to go away. Don't go away mad - just go away. Now they do it unprompted - yay!
Old 07-29-19, 02:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That's what I wanted him to do. In the bad old days I had to tell annoying people to go away. Don't go away mad - just go away. Now they do it unprompted - yay!
Don't get me wrong--your generalizations about cops are kind of on the lamely offensive side.
Old 07-29-19, 02:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Another funny non-issue is the silly posts that make it easy for others to ignore with just one glance due to their ignorable content being wrapped in hey-look-at-me visual idiosyncrasies (large or colored fonts, scads of nested quote boxes, goofball smilies, and/or verbose signatures listing their pets or other nonsense)
Or pictures of smiling cats?
Old 07-29-19, 06:07 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts

I've got a few trolls on my list who are obviously on a bunch of others--all I can see is that they post something occasionally, and no one responds to them at all.
Why make any kind of announcement? This is the internet. We've all been warned before. Don't feed the trolls with any kind of response.

I know who's trying to taunt me too.
Old 07-29-19, 06:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Why make any kind of announcement? This is the internet. We've all been warned before. Don't feed the trolls with any kind of response.

I know who's trying to taunt me too.
I just find it easier to let go of it with a little "closure.". It's my reason, you don't have to like it.

/ignore.

Just kidding, I don't mind you disagreeing with me.
Old 09-18-19, 10:05 PM
Arthur Peabody

'ABQ Bike Cops Lower Crime Rate
City crime statistics show that some Albuquerque areas have seen improvements since the introduction of police bike patrols.
According to KOAT, arrests went up 25 percent in the Southeast Area Command in the year since bike patrols were introduced, while commercial burglaries have dropped 32 percent and auto thefts have dropped 24 percent. It is unclear whether these statistics were directly impacted by the presence of bicycle officers.
Officials say bike cops are better equipped to patrol and respond in urban areas thanks to their enhanced mobility. The city is reportedly in the process of hiring 10 more bike cops to patrol Central Avenue along the ART corridor.'
https://alibi.com/news/59341/Team-to...ter-Reuse.html
Likes For Arthur Peabody:
Old 09-19-19, 09:24 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Anyhoo, back on topic...

Maybe the sheer presence, or the known presence, of the cops on the trails and parks is enough to deter any nefarious and illicit activities. Maybe.
Old 09-24-19, 11:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Anyhoo, back on topic...

Maybe the sheer presence, or the known presence, of the cops on the trails and parks is enough to deter any nefarious and illicit activities. Maybe.
These cops are on street patrol, not necessarily trails and parks. Not a lot of commercial burglaries and car thefts on trails and in parks.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-24-19, 10:10 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Cops on bicycles provides them a first hand view of how some motorist treat cyclist. Even in cop uniform, many motorist are too clueless to notice the uniform before doing something stupid. Cops seeing the view we see, rather than just a squad car view is a very good thing for cycling.
Old 09-25-19, 04:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Cops on bicycles provides them a first hand view of how some motorist treat cyclist. Even in cop uniform, many motorist are too clueless to notice the uniform before doing something stupid. Cops seeing the view we see, rather than just a squad car view is a very good thing for cycling.
Ya mean not all cops are clueless about the law, gun toting thugs out to hassle sweet innocent bicycle riders? That is good to know!
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 11-09-19, 08:14 AM
at_hiker59

Bikes: mtn. bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I bike for a college police dept. I get a lot of interaction with the community because Im more accessible to people as indyfabz points out.

I go places officers rarely go. Its more than just PR.

I was inspired by the DC police & NPS police who I see ride all year including winter.
Old 11-09-19, 08:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
We have some bike patrol officers. They say the bikes are great. They can quietly roll right up to crooks doing something wrong, because the crooks dont hear them coming!
Likes For rydabent:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.