Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

First (adult) biker starter price range

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-22, 08:03 PM
Caesium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Hi, I'm trying to sort out what range would be good for me starting out, if you could offer any advice? Want something decent but don’t want go overboard for my needs/wants. Started off just wanting something cheap and simple, get to some on foot hiking trails faster that are 15–40 min walks away so I have more time to walk the trails, maybe get me to the store faster since I share a care (15 min walk again). But also thought it would be nice to take a bike on some light flatter gravel or dirt trails (don’t think I’m ever going to not be too much of chicken to do anything more trail wise on a bike vs walk XD). Remembering enjoying bike riding as a kid, I feel like I’d like to spend time riding around just for fun vs just to get somewhere. But not sure at this point how far that’ll go. So I’m now unsure what to go for other then no longer going as cheap as possible price wise (and now considering I need to also by things like a decent lock on top of the base bike...).

I had been looking at this at my local bike shop
blimpcitybikeandhike . com/product/eastern-bikes-ceres-ub2-hybrid-5701.htm
since it was more the style I thought I’d want (don’t think I’d be comfortable with the weird low road bike handles and hybrid seems like it would meet my needs best anyway), and since it was around what I originally thought I’d spend on a bike before I knew how much some cost these days. The LBS has it on sale for 500$. They said it’s an ‘until they’re all gone’ sale, and that as of a couple days after I seen them start the sale they said they had ‘plenty left’ when I called to ask how long it would last. Not sure if that’s a bad sign for that bike model or just a normal thing that happens when they need to clear out stuff for newer bikes that have come out.

Eh. I may be over thinking this. I haven’t ridden in 14+ years. I do some small trials of a few bikes that have to rent and get a feel that way, but one way or the other it’s first bike since I was a kid, and my extent and types of use are still an estimate. Maybe I should go go with seems good enough and affordable, then when it breaks or or seems insufficient, try and sell it off and get something better based on more clearly defined needs, or not if those go the other way. :/
Old 10-12-22, 09:31 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Are you friends with anyone who is a long-time cyclist? If so, you might enlist their aid in finding a bicycle. If you are not sure of what to get perhaps this person could help you find a good used bike and then later when you know what you want in a bike buy a new one. If you buy the right used bike at a reasonable price, you will be far ahead.

The one you chose is definitely in the entry level category. One thing that stands out right away is the 9 speed gearing system. It's made by Microshift so is not a third-world approximation of a drive system but 9 speeds is going backwards decades. The reason bikes began to come with two or three front chainrings (this has just one) is to give you a decent gear range (highest gear to lowest gear) and choices in between to get a gear that was comfortable to pedal under in all terrain. At least this one has three frame sizes so you have a chance to get one that actually fits. It comes with cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes made by Radius. It's a curious combination with a brand name I am not familiar with. Really good hydraulic brakes work very well but who knows how a really inexpensive brand would fare with time. I have a set of Hope hydraulic disc brakes that are the best brakes I ever came across but the set costs more than this entire bike. Other than that there is not a lot of information on components, bike weight, and such to make a comparison.
Old 10-12-22, 10:17 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
A good used bike is definitely the best way to go in terms of value. For $500 (or less) you can usually get a very nice used hybrid.

But if you can't find what you want in the used market or are just more comfortable buying a new bike from a bike shop, that's a decent entry level bike for the price. It should serve well for your intended use. And it can be advantageous to have purchased from the shop if you need service later.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 10-12-22, 10:34 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
URL assist: https://www.blimpcitybikeandhike.com...ybrid-5701.htm

It looks ok, and should give you an initial impression, but unless it is so bad it puts you off, you will probably want to upgrade fairly quickly.

I am not so worried about the microshift drive-train. They make some rather decent stuff, and 9 speed is perfectly adequate.

But I agree, a $500 good condition used bike might give you more bang for the buck.

Another option:

https://www.rei.com/product/121596/c...es-cty-11-bike

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 10-12-22 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-13-22, 06:32 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
One bit of advice repeated here over the years for new cyclists or people returning to biking is don't sweat the first bike purchase so much, and don't spend a lot. You will discover your preferences and needs after riding a while and you will achieve them and be happier with your second purchase.

With that in mind, buy something that is enjoyable to ride and can be used as a back-up, or be sold or traded-in against the cost of the next bike.

I'd say the most important aspect of purchasing a bike is to comparison shop IN PERSON AND RIDE EACH BIKE for as long as practical. One of them will feel more "right" than the others. It may not look like what you imagined, or be of the type you anticipated, but it will be the bike that fits you best.

Even then, after more regular riding you will know better what you want in the next bike.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-13-22, 07:44 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 258 Posts
It looks fine to me for what you intend. You don't need hydraulic brakes and Miicroshift works well.

If you could find some help in evaluating a used bike, you could potentially purchase a used bike similar to the one you are looking at in great condition for $200-$300 tops, and I have bought used $500 bikes that were in the $2000 range when new

Old 10-13-22, 07:54 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I started commuting in Chicago again a couple of years ago after a short hiatus and in my search for the best-quality bike that I didn't mind getting stolen found myself a new Trek FX1 disc, which I really like. REI has something similar. My criteria were somewhat similar to the OP: something reliable from a quality manufacturer that was a solid performer but not too expensive. I know there are a lot of choices, and in fact I initially bought a popular internet brand which I returned because the bling was there in the advertising, but the quality turned out to be not much above discount store, just a fancier more specialized product that *looked* like a step up. There was a $25 difference in price between the two. On the internet bike the first time I squeezed the brake levers on the bottom-feeder fancy-looking brakes I realized I'd made a mistake, confirmed when the LBS said the reason the chain wouldn't stay on was a badly aligned frame that couldn't be fixed.

I bought new because I didn't want to buy someone else's unmaintained problem and then spend $300 (Chicago prices) getting it taken apart to be lubed, new cables, chain, etc, which will very likely be the case if you find something used from someone's garage.

Just buy a cheap new bike from a solid brand and be done with it.

Last edited by mdarnton; 10-13-22 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-13-22, 08:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Do others ride bikes on that hiking trail? Then find out what type bikes they are riding on that trail. Try to ask some of those you see the most and that ride in the manner you wish to ride. Those you see only once or twice on that trail probably weren't riding the correct bike and gave up.

Hiking trail to me sounds like an unpaved and otherwise unimproved trail. A pure mountain bike might be a better option for that than a hybrid. If you are riding on a paved surface, then most anything that has wheels will work. But depending on what your desires are for the ride will greatly affect what type bike you should get. For pavement, riding fast for a adrenaline junkie type fitness, my only choice would be a proper road bike with drops. If you just want a relaxed enjoyable ride on pavement and maybe some packed grovel, then the bike you linked is fine.

If you ride a lot of hills, then weight of the bike will be more important if you ride for long periods approaching 60 minutes or more. Also you will probably need a good range of gearing with low gear ratios no matter how long you intend to ride it.

Whatever you decide, buy something that won't break the bank for you and that way if you later figure out you want to ride differently than the bike is made for, then it won't be any great loss.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-13-22 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-13-22, 08:25 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
Just buy a cheap new bike from a solid brand and be done with it.
Many of the used bikes I see on the local CL have very little use on them, lots of people just don't ride their bikes a lot. So if you make sure the bike looks clean you should not have to do too much to get it working. Then you can sell it for not much less than you paid for it if/when you are ready to upgrade. For a new bike you lose half your money from the moment you buy it. Even if you buy two used bikes and quickly sell the one you like the least, you will be ahead of the new bike game.
Old 10-13-22, 08:34 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
Many of the used bikes I see on the local CL have very little use on them, lots of people just don't ride their bikes a lot. So if you make sure the bike looks clean you should not have to do too much to get it working. Then you can sell it for not much less than you paid for it if/when you are ready to upgrade. For a new bike you lose half your money from the moment you buy it. Even if you buy two used bikes and quickly sell the one you like the least, you will be ahead of the new bike game.
After ten years sheltered on the porch the first ride my wife took on her bike last year the shifter cables exploded and had to be replaced. All of those Craigslist bikes may look fine, and all of the bearings and chains may be completely dry of lube and it's not fair to think that someone buying their first bike will be able to easily deal with that. As I said, external appearance doesn't mean anything: don't buy someone else's problems.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 10-13-22, 08:41 AM
Caesium

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Are you friends with anyone who is a long-time cyclist? If so, you might enlist their aid in finding a bicycle. If you are not sure of what to get perhaps this person could help you find a good used bike and then later when you know what you want in a bike buy a new one. If you buy the right used bike at a reasonable price, you will be far ahead.
Unfortunately not, the interest in bikes the people I know have ranges from "it was ok as kid but don't see the point now" to anxiety over riding after getting by car on one a kid.

Originally Posted by jon c.
A good used bike is definitely the best way to go in terms of value. For $500 (or less) you can usually get a very nice used hybrid.

But if you can't find what you want in the used market or are just more comfortable buying a new bike from a bike shop, that's a decent entry level bike for the price. It should serve well for your intended use. And it can be advantageous to have purchased from the shop if you need service later.
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

It looks ok, and should give you an initial impression, but unless it is so bad it puts you off, you will probably want to upgrade fairly quickly.

I am not so worried about the microshift drive-train. They make some rather decent stuff, and 9 speed is perfectly adequate.

But I agree, a $500 good condition used bike might give you more bang for the buck.
Yea, don't really feel comfortable going used. If it wasn't the first bike and I had a better feel foe them to be able to evaluate what I was getting better then maybe, but right now... Also have had a lot of bad experiences trying to buy used stuff lately. I want getting a bike to be one thing that' smore worry free for me right now.

Originally Posted by BobbyG
One bit of advice repeated here over the years for new cyclists or people returning to biking is don't sweat the first bike purchase so much, and don't spend a lot. You will discover your preferences and needs after riding a while and you will achieve them and be happier with your second purchase.

With that in mind, buy something that is enjoyable to ride and can be used as a back-up, or be sold or traded-in against the cost of the next bike.

I'd say the most important aspect of purchasing a bike is to comparison shop IN PERSON AND RIDE EACH BIKE for as long as practical. One of them will feel more "right" than the others. It may not look like what you imagined, or be of the type you anticipated, but it will be the bike that fits you best.

Even then, after more regular riding you will know better what you want in the next bike.
Good points. I did almost fall into the just search/buy online trap, but luckily wizened up fast. Planning to go spend some time looking at the bike I mentioned and others at the shop as soon as I have time. I think they have bike rentals so I think I'll slow down a bit and try some different stuff more then planned. I got into the mindset I do with everything of trying to overoptimize, but yea, at this I think I do just need to focus on getting something that feels good, won't break the bank (but not junk), and that will meet my initial need of <30 min ride transportation, and then go from there.
Old 10-13-22, 08:56 AM
Caesium

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Do others ride bikes on that hiking trail? Then find out what type bikes they are riding on that trail. Try to ask some of those you see the most and that ride in the manner you wish to ride. Those you see only once or twice on that trail probably weren't riding the correct bike and gave up.

Hiking trail to me sounds like an unpaved and otherwise unimproved trail. A pure mountain bike might be a better option for that than a hybrid. If you are riding on a paved surface, then most anything that has wheels will work. But depending on what your desires are for the ride will greatly affect what type bike you should get. For pavement, riding fast for a adrenaline junkie type fitness, my only choice would be a proper road bike with drops. If you just want a relaxed enjoyable ride on pavement and maybe some packed grovel, then the bike you linked is fine.

If you ride a lot of hills, then weight of the bike will be more important if you ride for long periods approaching 60 minutes or more. Also you will probably need a good range of gearing with low gear ratios no matter how long you intend to ride it.

Whatever you decide, buy something that won't break the bank for you and that way if you later figure out you want to ride differently than the bike is made for, then it won't be any great loss.

The most I can see myself doing trail wise would just be paved or gravel trails, some of the long ones around here that are intended for general easy biking. Maybe a pretty much flat dirt trail if we have those. I mainly want the bike to get me to harder trails nearby but out of walking distance (if I want to still have time to do the trail anyway), so that I can just do a normal hike. I don't think I'll get to where I'll ever need a full mountain bike. That kind of stuff I'd rather just walk, aside from using the bike to get there faster in the first place. Your "If you just want a relaxed enjoyable ride on pavement and maybe some packed grovel, then the bike you linked is fine." is accurate for my current estimated needs. I'll see this weekend at the shop to what extent I can try the one I found and if it feels good and like it meets my initial needs, and what else they have. I though at first maybe I should more 'room' in my initial purchase choice for maybe wanting to do more, but I think your last sentence on the other posts of similar sentiment do make the most sense now when it comes to a first bike choice.

Last edited by Caesium; 10-13-22 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-13-22, 09:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Caesium
I'll see this weekend at the shop to what extent I can try the one I found and if it feels good and like it meets my initial needs, and what else they have. I though at first maybe I should more 'room' in my initial purchase choice for maybe wanting to do more,
Mountain bikes are made for off road riding and for unimproved roads and trails. And they will have the lower gearing to get you up most any terrain paved or unpaved. A lot of people even use them for riding pavement, though that's not the bike for the kind of riding I like to do on pavement.

The bike you linked only has a 11-36T 9 speed rear. And it appears to be a 1x front of unspecified size. So that might be good enough for pavement and well packed gravel. But if they let you test ride it, find the steepest hill you'll ever ride and see if it's lowest gear will get you comfortably up that hill.

What feels stupid easy on level ground can be almost impossible on a steep hill.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-13-22 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-13-22, 09:17 AM
Caesium

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Mountain bikes are made for off road riding and they will have the lower gearing to get you up most any terrain paved or unpaved. The bike you linked only has a 11-36T 9 speed rear. And it appears to be a 1x front of unspecified size. So that might be good enough for pavement and well packed gravel. But if they let you test ride it, find the steepest hill you'll ever ride and see if it's lowest gear will get you comfortably up that hill.

What feels stupid easy on level ground can be almost impossible on a steep hill.
Hmm good point, I'll keep that in mind. Should be able to use the 3D Alltrails maps to look for suitable hills around the area of the bike shop.
Old 10-13-22, 10:55 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by mdarnton
After ten years sheltered on the porch the first ride my wife took on her bike last year the shifter cables exploded and had to be replaced. All of those Craigslist bikes may look fine, and all of the bearings and chains may be completely dry of lube and it's not fair to think that someone buying their first bike will be able to easily deal with that. As I said, external appearance doesn't mean anything: don't buy someone else's problems.
Not bad points for a beginner to consider. Lube, chain and cables can be replaced for under $50 though and with very little info via a YouTube video. You eventually need to learn to work on your bike anyway. It just all depends on how much money you can spend and have to spend. In my world a discount of hundreds or even thousands at times, is worth replacing some consumables. You can also teach yourself how to evaluate a bicycle via YouTube.
Old 10-13-22, 11:04 AM
Caesium

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Not bad points for a beginner to consider. Lube, chain and cables can be replaced for under $50 though and with very little info via a YouTube video. You eventually need to learn to work on your bike anyway. It just all depends on how much money you can spend and have to spend. In my world a discount of hundreds or even thousands at times, is worth replacing some consumables. You can also teach yourself how to evaluate a bicycle via YouTube.
Also good points, I do want to learn that stuff, but I would also feel better learning that stuff a bit at a time vs risking having to deal with several issues at once as the season nears it's end. Also limited time to do that much more research may be an issue. I'd also be playing a waiting game, I did just the other week look around on craigslist and anywhere I could think that you could maybe find a used bike. Nothing up that even seems a short enough size around the area when I checked.
Old 10-13-22, 01:01 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by Caesium
Also good points, I do want to learn that stuff, but I would also feel better learning that stuff a bit at a time vs risking having to deal with several issues at once as the season nears it's end. Also limited time to do that much more research may be an issue. I'd also be playing a waiting game, I did just the other week look around on craigslist and anywhere I could think that you could maybe find a used bike. Nothing up that even seems a short enough size around the area when I checked.
I completely understand your hesitancy at buying used. If you want to give it a shot though, I would post a help wanted sort of post over at Classic and Vintage forum. There may even be someone over there in your area willing to go bike shopping with you. They are pretty good at finding used deals for members looking. I bet they could find you a couple close enough to go look at.

I am only harping on it because every bike I own came from either craigslist or facebook marketplace. I have a couple that I paid $500 for that would cost me $2000 to replace with something similar if buying new. I have a half dozen bikes that would be in the $500 to $700 range new that I paid between $50 and $100 for used. I've put hundreds of miles on most of them with nearly zero maintaince.
Old 10-13-22, 03:19 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Good plan to slow down and try riding them!
Old 10-13-22, 08:56 PM
Caesium

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Good plan to slow down and try riding them!
Yea, it was always the plan, but I got a bit of sticker shock of prices vs what I expected with little knowledge and then found the one on sale and ya know..... lol

Looking at the store's on location inventory looks like I'll have 18 models that come in what I think is the right size - whatever I decide is out of budget, at least as far as the hybrids go. Hopefully that a good spot between being limited and indecision over # of options (I have had that problem before lol). ([site from prev post] /product-list/bikes-1502/hybrid-1533/?&sort=priceasc&rb_sz=15%2E5%2Dinch&rb_sz=16%2E5%2Dinch&rb_sz=41cm&rb_sz=42cm&rb_sz=Small%20%2816%22 %29&rb_sz=Small&rb_sz=Small%2D17%22 )

Thanks to everyone who's replied to this and offered advice!
Old 10-14-22, 02:11 AM
DelayMozrt

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
An interesting topic, thanks to the guys for this discussion
Old 10-14-22, 02:45 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
This ^^^^

This will either be your gateway bike and you end up buying/selling/buying 6+ bikes in two years like I did or this will bike will be fine for you to putt around on.

The bike you pick looks good for it's price for what you intend to do.
Old 10-14-22, 05:34 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
All good points so far. For a first bike (as an adult) and for the type of riding you describe, $500 sounds reasonable. I think your points explaining why you're hesitant to get a used bike are good ones. As others have said, this may be a good starter bike but if you start to ride more you may outgrow this bike.
The bike will last longer, and your rides will be more enjoyable and more free of trouble, if you: (a) keep it under cover, e.g. indoors/shed/garage (and it will also be less likely to get stolen); and (b) learn to do some basic maintenance: lube chain; fix flat tires; clean the bike; adjust derailleur and possibly brakes). You should also monitor brake pad wear and cable (shifter and brake) wear - in other words, ask the shop what to look for to tell if/when parts need replacing.
I don't see rack or fender braze-ons on the bike you're interested in, so if you want to use it for trips to the store you may want to look into a handlebar basket.
Old 10-15-22, 12:58 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Good advice here: "This is your first bike, not the last" is a favorite of mine. You don't have to find the "perfect-forever-bike-for-all-the-things" first time out of the gate. You may find it's perfectly fine for your use, or that you may want to trade up, or "trade across" after a few seasons

It's ok to buy new; Used bikes can be a good deal, but only if you know it's the right size, and you can identify any mechanical needs it might have.
A new bike, especially purchased from an LBS, should avoid any potential pitfalls of previously -ridden machinery.

Going into an actual shop to pick out a bike can also eliminate some of the "analysis paralysis" of choosing a bike online. There's only going to be a certain number of models on the floor, so the differences will be less confusing, and you can actually test ride different sizes to see what fits correctly
Old 10-15-22, 02:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
When I saw this thread had the word ‘Adult’ I though it might be rated ‘R’ or more. Glad to see it was more rated ‘G’.

Old 10-15-22, 05:52 PM
phedge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 89 Posts
If you're still in the market I've got a 56cm Kona Dew Deluxe I was going to sell next spring. I'm in your area and we could meet up if you're interested. It's pretty much set up for anything, has low miles (odometer is accurate) and a new set of WTB 36 spoke wheels. Very well cared for. Take a look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.