Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-22, 06:58 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
@cudak888 how did you find it? I hope you are going to do a separate build/restoration thread for that Moulton. I have been keeping an eye out for one in my budget, but have now given up. It seems that if people can look it up on Google they think it is worth big bucks. I went to an estate sale about 5 years ago where they had a one just like yours, but they had it priced a $1500 as is. Which wasn't particularly good.

Your Moulton looks intact and for the most part, just needing a good cleaning, regreasing and new cables.

Alex Moulton was clear thinking individual and his ideas on smaller wheels helped the Austin Mini become a success and then he applied this thinking to bicycles and allowed people who couldn't fit a full size bike in their apartment to own a bike and even take their Moulton by train to a more rural destination for a day's ride. They have also had their fair share of other uses including some human powered vehicle records. But most of all a practical bike for people that don't have a garage.
Local find. Almost missed it, but the previous person to inquire was a no-show. Been a long time since I've made a 60-mile round trip for anything, much less a bike.

The tires are the original Dunlops, though the rear has a split in it. Front actually holds 40psi, though I don't trust it (but would have tried it out for the first time had the rear been intact) Drive side BB cup has backed out; BB spindle is flopping around. Should be just fine after a quick repack; already got the left arm off but it's too late here to go farting about rebuilding this thing at the end of the day.

Your yard sale experience sounds as if you ran head first into $1,500 of greed myopia. That's when a seller can't and doesn't care to tell the difference between a later space frame Moulton and a US-model Mk-I.

I believe the small wheel mandate came down from the specifications handed down to Alec Issigonis from the heads of British Motor Corporation for the new car that was to become the Mini. Moulton's contribution was the rubber cone suspension used on the car, but not the rest of the physical design features, to my knowledge.

EDIT: Project thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...d-moulton.html

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 11-13-22 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-15-22, 11:38 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Here's todays scrapyard find. Its a rattle canned lugged Bianchi Hybrid of some sorts. Its got Suntour XCE and besides the paint and rust on components, its in pretty good shape. The wheels are true and spin well, and having a 7 speed freewheel should be easy to space down to 5 or 6 speeds. I give fair odds that it got the black spray treatment because of the pink tubes and silver stay and fork original paint. Any guesses as to what model this is?

P.S. I took some acetone to the top tube and the bike is a "Boardwalk"

Curiously, underneath the horrendous black spray job, right over the components, there are areas of well sanded primer over original paint. So it looks like some one started "restoring" the bike and then said "F**k it, lets go bowling".

This bike will be getting stripped, and the parts added to the mostly wreaked 7 speed Suntour miscellany box.

Last edited by bark_eater; 11-15-22 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-15-22, 07:22 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 174 Posts
Well I guess this is a "catch of the day". Mixed batch of Gran Compe and Campy parts with a set of Dual Sprint pedals.

Likes For brandenjs:
Old 11-16-22, 01:27 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Some days you see a something shinny in the mud.... pretty good haul today. I spent an extra 30 minutes looking for the rear hub. I was in a rush yesterday so I probably stepped over it to get the trashed Hybrid. The bottom bracket is frozen. I'll have to figure out if any of it is salvageable or survicable, but at least now I have a campy taper spindle to test cranks with.

Last edited by bark_eater; 11-16-22 at 01:35 PM.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 11-16-22, 04:01 PM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Those Suntour ErgoTec shifters are super cool. I have a set of 8 speed but have never seen another set in the wild. And here you have 2-1/2 pairs!
Old 11-16-22, 05:02 PM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Those Suntour ErgoTec shifters are super cool. I have a set of 8 speed but have never seen another set in the wild. And here you have 2-1/2 pairs!
I haven't played with them yet. it looks like I'm at least missing a metal ring on some of the parts. I'll take a look in the churning mud tomorrow to see if any more parts are visible.
Old 11-17-22, 06:13 PM
MrGastrognome
Quasi homeostatic system

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '82 Team Fuji, '85 Nishiki Bel Air, '98 Klein Stage Comp R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts
My catch of yesterday. Had looked a couple Fuji S12-s LTDs recently, one I was beat to, another too scabby, a third too far away and well overpriced... Then this popped up on FB! After a little catalog searching I figured it's an '82 Team Fuji... but what size? Seller didn't know so I set the meeting up figuring it's either my size or a catch and release opportunity. It's was a 58 cm. which works for me! The seller was a yard sale picker (the variety of items in rough shape on his marketplace page backed that up). This bike came out of barn in the town of Lincoln, CA so I'm calling it my BFF (barn find Fuji). It needs some love and attention (handlebars, long reach brakes and some 650bs) but for $50 I think I did pretty well! Hit it with some liquid wrench today to make the tear down a bit easier.

Old 11-18-22, 08:35 AM
Smokinapankake

Not necessarily a catch but these showed up at my local bike collective the other day:

Looks to be an early 90's Wicked Fat Chance. Donated by someone. Outfitted with Chris King hubs and headset, LX/XT drivetrain, and some kind of CNC'd V-brakes.

Mid-90's Bontrager Privateer. Probably post Trek buyout based on the fact that the serial number engraving on the bottom of the BB matches the SN engraving on the bottom of my 96 Trek 930. LX drivetrain with XT rear derailleur. I've never seen any kind of Bontrager in the wild so this was pretty cool to see. Both of these are too small for me, otherwise they'd both be coming home with me.

Both donations. Who donates this kind of stuff?

Edit: Whoops! Should have posted these in the catch of the day/saved from the dump thread! Sorry!

Last edited by Smokinapankake; 11-18-22 at 09:36 AM.
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 11-18-22, 01:26 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
If the Fat Chance was my size I would grab that in a heart beat!
Old 11-18-22, 03:12 PM
Smokinapankake

Not really a catch, because I didn't buy either of them (they were too small for me, although my daughter would fit them both really well - hmmm...) but they did show up at my local bike collective the other day:

A

An early 90's Fat City Cycles Wicked Fat Chance outfitted with Chris King hubs and headset, XT/LX drivetrain, and some kind of CNC'd V-brakes.

A Bontrager Privateer, probably post-Trek buyout. I'm guessing based on the fact that the serial number etching on the bottom of the BB matches the SN etching on the bottom of my 96 Trek 930. I've never seen a Bontrager of any kind in the wild so this was pretty neat to see. Full LX with an upgraded XT rear der.

Shame they were too small otherwise I would have snatched them both up! Alan, my contact at the collective, said they were both donated. I then turned around to see a carbon Felt road bike with 105 (9 speed) in equally nice condition, also donated!

My question is who donates this kind of machinery? High end stuff!

Edit: Whoops! Looks like admin moved my previous posting in the "Show us your vintage mountain bike thread" over here just before I posted this very post. If that makes any sense... Thank you administrators!

Last edited by Smokinapankake; 11-18-22 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-18-22, 05:55 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Probably the same guy who put that derailleur protector on there, lol.
Old 11-19-22, 09:02 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 541 Posts
Alan, my contact at the collective, said they were both donated. I then turned around to see a carbon Felt road bike with 105 (9 speed) in equally nice condition, also donated!

My question is who donates this kind of machinery? High end stuff!
Nice connection to have!

I just about passed out when I was at a co-op I frequent and a guy wheeled in a gorgeous Guerciotti and an Oxford. (I had to look that second one up. Custom fab.) Both were Campy-drenched and the guy also brought in a few wheelsets with D-A hubs. Wowzers! I hope the co-op did well with that stuff.
Old 11-19-22, 01:50 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
I went to my co-op today after not going on Thursday (Temps, and sore arm from Covid shot) to do a bit of housekeeping. Here is todays take:

I am not going to even try to save any of this, although I think there is a pair of alloy city bars that was in the mix. I will likely pull out before it all goes to the metal recycler.
I could probably separate out the Aluminum scrap with about 5 labor hours to net about $10. So it is on it's way to the recycler.
For anyone interested they have a late 70's PX10 in a 53cm size with original sew-ups and a set of replacement clinchers on it. Cost is $399. If interested PM me and I will explore further into it. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 11-19-22 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-19-22, 04:43 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 113 Posts
I think I stole this 1987 Raleigh Technium 440 from the local ReStore for $70.

Looks lightly used. I was always impressed by them when I was doing ultra-marathon riding in the late 80s, early 90s, but I was riding Miyatas and Bianchis back then. I started looking recently, as some old guys do, to relive part of my youth that I missed. What I found were the wrong size, beat to crap, or way over priced. I wasn't even looking when this one jumped out at me.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 11-20-22, 10:16 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
I did manage to find a couple that were interesting and ok. The ok, A Miele with Suntour Cyclone set.

The interesting is the copper color fillet brazed Stevenson, probably worth the price of admission with the prettiest set of drillium cranks I have ever had.

Unfortunately the Stevenson is not my size... Dang
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 11-21-22, 11:38 AM
bark_eater 

Think it will buff out? I would have left it, except for the barcons. I cut the front Sunshine hub out. It actual spins smooth, and I'll get to harvest a bunch of spares before the frame goes back. The tires where are 27.5 from a Wally world bike. The front wheel was crushed, and I left the rear, but it was interesting that the rims were narrow semi aero rims with brake tracks.

Last edited by bark_eater; 11-21-22 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-21-22, 11:55 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Think it will buff out? I would have left it, except for the barcons. I cut the front Sunshine hub out. It actual spins smooth, and I'll get to harvest a bunch of spares before the frame goes back. The tires where are 27.5 from a Wally world bike. The front wheel was crushed, and I left the rear, but it was interesting that the rims were narrow semi aero rims with brake tracks.

Always worth harvesting barcons!
Old 11-21-22, 02:12 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater

It was Fuji before it was sculpture. Is that a Park PCS-1 holding it?
Old 11-21-22, 02:59 PM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by dweenk
It was Fuji before it was sculpture. Is that a Park PCS-1 holding it?
Its a Park stand that lives out side, the welds on the clamp have been threatening to go for 6 years. When that happens I'l get it welded and touch up the paint....
Old 11-21-22, 06:16 PM
pnwgopher

Bikes: Serotta Rapid Tour, 89 Paramount, AD Vent Noir, All-City Space Horse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I kinda hate myself for buying another bike, but then I found this at my favorite nearby thrift shop. They get most of their product from storage closets, so you never know what they'll get. Looks to be late 90s by the complete 105 9spd group. 64cm x 62cm is actually ridable for me with 80mm of bb drop, but at the limit. It's almost certainly going to be a parts harvest as I had been looking at similar groupsets to upgrade another bike.
Dylansbob was kind enough to sell me this frameset, so I just thought I'd follow up to show that it has found a good home. Still looking for a 1 inch chris king 2nut headset to provide the finishing touch, but this is largely how it's going to live now.
Old 11-22-22, 03:11 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 541 Posts
Raleigh Team USA

Found on Marketplace with no intention of making it rideable. The PO hit a curb HARD and taco’d the front wheel and apparently broke the frame and then rode the bike with his “repair” for 2 years. Brave soul. I still need to do exploratory surgery out of morbid curiosity.

Awkward pic angles because it’s in the backseat of my car and it was raining outside. GREAT parts donor!

Frankenstein repair and unfortunate shifter ground to make it functional.

Last edited by RustyJames; 11-22-22 at 03:14 PM.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 11-24-22, 04:43 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
Jdawg coop visit first time

Charlottesville.

Probably should have been posted here. Gitane Mixte stove pipe, VXGT Luxe and the find...NGC 450s with original pads in good shape. Been looking for these.

$30 total. I threw in an extra $20 donation.

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 11-24-22, 05:39 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Not necessarily a catch but these showed up at my local bike collective the other day:

Looks to be an early 90's Wicked Fat Chance. Donated by someone. Outfitted with Chris King hubs and headset, LX/XT drivetrain, and some kind of CNC'd V-brakes.

Mid-90's Bontrager Privateer. Probably post Trek buyout based on the fact that the serial number engraving on the bottom of the BB matches the SN engraving on the bottom of my 96 Trek 930. LX drivetrain with XT rear derailleur. I've never seen any kind of Bontrager in the wild so this was pretty cool to see. Both of these are too small for me, otherwise they'd both be coming home with me.

Both donations. Who donates this kind of stuff?

Edit: Whoops! Should have posted these in the catch of the day/saved from the dump thread! Sorry!
The Privateer was created when Trek bought Bontrager, to basically add a more affordable version of the Race. It's basically a Race with fewer of the famous gussets you see on Bontragers. The Fat Wicked IS a great catch in my opinion!
Old 11-24-22, 06:48 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 819 Posts
Speaking of saving bikes from a sad fate:

Anyone in the metro Phoenix area (or elsewhere) want to help a nonprofit out in taking home some excess inventory?

Main thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/charity-e...l#post22718546
Old 12-02-22, 05:41 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 321 Posts
A friend sent me the contact for a gentleman in a small town outside Houston who wanted to get rid his cycling equipment. He’s now 75 years old, has a bad hip, and hasn’t ridden in over ten years. If he couldn’t find someone to pick it up, it was headed to the dump.

Left to right is a custom Hujsak with Columbus KL tubing and Campy components, a Swiss-made Ochsner with Campagnolo components, a Trek 400 Series with Suntour, and a Bianchi Axis cyclocross bike.

Among the loose parts are Suntour components (several NOS), a Silca floor pump, a Park tool kit, and a full box of Tressostar bar tape.

It’ll take me a while to clean and date everything, but it’ll certainly keep me busy this winter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.