Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

V-brakes vs. Center-pull brakes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-15-22, 03:38 PM
walterbyrd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Note: all of this is JMHO, based on my limited experience. And I am not a bicycle mechanic at all.

Way back in the 1990s, I always had center-pull brakes. That was fairly standard. I never had any trouble with them. The only maintenance I have had to do was move the clip further up the wire, or change the pads. Both operations were dirt simple, and rarely had to be done. The brakes allowed for a reasonable amount of slop. For example if tires where not exactly true, it was not a problem. I could take my tire off the bike without releasing the brakes.

Now I have an Infinity Boss 3 from Costco. It has V-brakes, and I find them to be a PITA. I have to adjust them frequently. If the two side are not calibrated just right, the brakes will not spring back correctly, and the brake pad on one side will keep rubbing against the rim. Also, the pads are supposed to be angled so the front grabs the tire first. For the brakes to effective, very little slop is allowed. It is a time consuming and complicated operation. I have to unhook my brakes to take my tire off - and that will probably cause me to have to re-adjust the brakes.

It may be that, if the V-brakes are adjusted perfectly, they have greater stopping power than than center-pull. But how much stopping power do I need? I don't want to fly over the handlebars when I stop.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe the Infinity Boss 3 from Costco has crappy brakes.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-15-22, 03:54 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You have what is most likely the worst 'linear pull' brakes on the planet. They are nearly impossible to keep adjusted properly. Get some decent brakes and they'll be much better. You won't go 'flying over the bars' if you know how to use your brakes. Do you lock up the rear and skid every time you use the rear brake? Millions of people use linear pull brakes and don't go over the bars. Millions of people use disc brakes and don't go flying over the bars. What is with this irrational fear of front brakes?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-15-22, 03:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,346 Times in 7,189 Posts
...chances are pretty good that a bicycle from Costco will have a lesser quality set of brakes as pat of the pricing strategy.

I don't think V brakes are better or worse than centerpull...as you have noted, once a brake stops your wheel rolling to where your tire skids, it's not really doing you much good in the range beyond that. I presume you meant to type 1970's to describe your experience with center pulls. But center pull brakes can be something of a chore to set up properly in the first place. And back before the washers that allow toe in to be set on the pads were available, I can remember that you had to either bend the caliper arm, or shave down the pads to achieve toe in on a noisy one. They work well, though.

There's usually a balancing adjustment screw on v brakes, to allow centering them. Yours probably have that feature, unless they are really low end. It works by increasing or decreasing the spring tension on (at least) one or both sides.
Old 11-15-22, 04:10 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,009 Times in 3,788 Posts
I believe by "centerpull" you actually mean "cantilever", which were the typical style used on MTBs in the early '90s. V-brakes provide more leverage for slowing/stopping with less lever force. Disc brakes took another step forward in the same way. Regardless of type, brakes are not an on/off switch. If that's how the brakes are behaving, they are either adjusted poorly, are poor quality, or the rider is poorly-skilled...possibly all 3.

Also, judging the quality of a certain type of brakes by using the example of bottom-end quality components is not a reasonable way to make this kind of judgement.

Last edited by Eric F; 11-15-22 at 04:19 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 11-15-22, 04:11 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've never had an issue with V-brakes once they're properly set up.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-15-22, 04:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,009 Times in 3,788 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Same. I have an older MTB that I still ride that has Avid V-Brakes. I can lock up either wheel whenever I want to, without a lot of effort. I don't actually do that because I'm a decent rider who knows how to use my brakes properly.
Old 11-15-22, 04:22 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 971 Posts
Originally Posted by walterbyrd
.... If the two side are not calibrated just right, the brakes will not spring back correctly, and the brake pad on one side will keep rubbing against the rim.
There should be little screws that lets you adjust the tension independently on either side. Screw in to increase spring tension on that side. If there is still too much or too little spring tension on that side, you can unbolt the arm and then use a different spring anchor point. There are typically 3 spring anchor holes next to the mounting post:

I have to unhook my brakes to take my tire off - and that will probably cause me to have to re-adjust the brakes.
You have to do that with any cable brakes to take off the wheel. You should not have to re-adjust anything afterwards.
Old 11-15-22, 04:23 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
And as far as removing a wheel, it's quite easy to undo the V-brakes to allow you to take the wheel out, and hook them back up once you've replaced it.
Old 11-15-22, 04:35 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 1,770 Times in 805 Posts
After working on hundreds of sets of Vs, I have noticed a wide range of quality levels, generally tied to price point. Many big-box bikes have stamped steel Vs (sometimes with plastic covers) with very basic springs and adjusters, and they are indeed difficult to adjust or keep that way. Whereas most shop-level bikes have forged aluminum Vs with higher-quality springs and adjusters, which are far easier to set correctly (and stay that way).

One place to start would be to pull the arms and check if the frame studs are lubed, and then reassemble looking to see if anything is binding or working poorly. But for all that work you might consider buying an aftermarket set of Tektro or Shimano V brakes and replace the existing brakes.

In normal conditions, your front brake provides about 75% of your stopping power - even higher in emergency conditions. Emergency stops are something every bicyclist might want to consider practicing just in case - shifting weight backward while applying both brakes (the front about 2-3x as hard as the rear). With practice, on most bikes you'd be surprised how short a distance one can stop in using the brakes to their optimum, and with much less chance of flipping the bike.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 11-15-22, 06:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Centerpulls were popular in the 90s?...where, Cambodia?
Old 11-15-22, 08:01 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee

. I have to unhook my brakes to take my tire off - and that will probably cause me to have to re-adjust the brakes?
You have to do that with any cable brakes to take off the wheel. You should not have to re-adjust anything afterwards.
I think he's talking about the straddle cable; which is exactly how you release the brakes for clearance to remove the wheel; that's why it has that knarp on one end. Unless you have your 'return' position on your brakes set wider than the width of your tire, it's the only way; particularly on 1.9"-2.1" MTB tires.
V's do the same thing, you just pull the Noodle back out of the left side arm to release the arms, no tools required.

Not an uncommon occurance on early 1990s MTBs: the frame spacing was so tight, that even with the brake arms all the way to the frame, you'd still have to let the air out of your tire to squeeze it between the pads. (my Klein is like this and it's not exactly a cheap bike)

My guess is that the OP's Costco bike has crappy cheap brakes on it, which compound the difficulty of getting them set right, especially if you don't really know what you're doing.
A $20 set of Tektro V's would probably be a worthwhile upgrade over whatever is on it now.

Last edited by Ironfish653; 11-15-22 at 08:05 PM.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 11-15-22, 08:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
My ‘98 Cannondale T700 came with cantilever brakes. So did my ‘91 or ‘92 Trek 930. At least one person on my ‘99 cross country tour had a 90s Trek 520 with them.

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-15-22 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-15-22, 08:38 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Everywhere til about '96 or so.
Old 11-15-22, 08:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
No issues with linear pull brakes which are what a Shimano trademarked "V-Brake" is. Also no issues really with cantilever brakes but I do hate setting those up. I haven't really had any time with center pull stuff as that was more popular in the 70s and before and is rarely seen past the 80s except on some Neo-retro type builds or actual vintage stuff.

A bike made from 30 packs of underwear and a platoon sized jar of peanut butter filled pretzels is going to have crap brakes, well everything crap. Costco sells bulk items at low prices they are a warehouse filled with all sorts of junk. You can sometimes get some excellent deals but a place to buy bikes it is not. They are not a bike shop, they don't have mechanics on hand and the stuff they sell is usually either similar to wally mart or maybe a minor notch up but barely.

I personally wouldn't put any money into the bike and ride it into the ground and buy something with better everything. However as some have said you could get a set of cheaper Shimano or Tektro linear pull brakes and that would be a massive upgrade.

When braking you don't want a lot of flex so if you have flexing arms and rubber molded pads that don't really have a stiff shoe you will have poor braking. Also add in cheap levers with a lot of play and that will just turn into poor braking.
If your arms and levers were decent (which they aren't in this specific case) then I would say get a good set of shoes and pads to put in them from Kool Stop or SwissStop, no once piece stuff two separate pieces. I would also consider getting good polished non-coated stainless steel cables and a good compressionless housing like Jagwire Pro or Elite link kits (they come with everything you will need generally and are a good upgrade) and you can have much better braking without spending a ton. Pads and shoes are often overlooked and people just say give me the cheap stuff but for an extra $5-10 if that you can have really good stuff and improve braking significantly I don't see why you wouldn't.
Old 11-15-22, 08:47 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Maybe the Infinity Boss 3 from Costco has crappy brakes.
Yep. Any $200 big-box bike (even one made by Giant) is going to have crappy brakes. Almost anything would be an upgrade, so splurge the $30 and get a set of basic Tektros. Good stopping power is critical for safety, and if you use both brakes at the same time, you won't go over the bars.
Old 11-15-22, 08:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by indyfabz
My ‘98 Cannondale T700 came with cantilever brakes. So did my ‘91 or ‘92 Trek 930. At least one person on my ‘99 cross country tour had a 90s Trek 520 with them.
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Everywhere til about '96 or so.
Cantilevers are called cantilever.
Centerpulls are called centerpull.

Even if both use a straddle wire, they have different names and are different designs. A centerpull may be a type of cantilever, but it's distinctly different to the point of deserving a different term.
I really can't say I have seen centerpull brakes on LBS production bikes made after maybe 1980?

Below is what I have always known a centerpull brake to be. If we are all now calling cantilever brakes 'centerpull', I missed that message.
But seeing who I am responding to here, I am sure I will be shown how words mater, except when they don't, it just depends on who is saying them.

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...-brake-service

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-15-22, 08:54 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,346 Times in 7,189 Posts

...they are still popular with very, very old people, who remember them fondly as the original dual pivot rim brake.

Old 11-15-22, 09:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...they are still popular with very, very old people, who remember them fondly as the original dual pivot rim brake.

I have em on 2 bikes right now. I like em more than cantis.
And now that I type this, I just realized one of my bikes is from '80 so that's probably why I happened to choose that year as about the latest year I can think of for them being on production LBS bikes.
Nishiki Gran Tour 15.
Old 11-15-22, 09:14 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

Which is why, when you mount them under your chain stays, you call them "U-brakes"
But only us whippersnappers remember these

Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 11-15-22, 09:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Which is why, when you mount them under your chain stays, you call them "U-brakes"
But only us whippersnappers remember these
U-brake it U-bought it! Still semi popular on the BMX stuff though most of those kids are doing brakeless these days I think?!
Old 11-15-22, 11:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
I bet they weren’t from Costco.

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-15-22, 11:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm a decent rider who knows how to use my brakes properly.
A. Not so humble brag

B OP shaming

C It’s just the truth and I am happy that everyone now knows it.

D All of the above

E None of the above

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-16-22, 06:49 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
I've had all types (except hydraulic) brakes through the years. The very best, at least on the bikes I"ve owned,, and easiest to adjust/maintain are the Avid "V-brakes" on my mtn bike. It's the quality of brake on your bike that is lacking, not an inherent problem with V-brakes.

Last edited by freeranger; 11-16-22 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-16-22, 07:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Cantilevers are called cantilever.
Centerpulls are called centerpull.
Thanks for that clarification. I thought I had read somewhere above that centerpull was another name for standard cantilever. Definitely not the same thing, and I have not seen the former in a long, long time.
Old 11-16-22, 08:07 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
An advantage of linear pull brakes is that the braking response is linear over the life of the pads. Thus the name. With cantilevers, response varies with pad wear. If, as the OP said, you shorten the cable or move the yoke up the cable, braking power lessens. Keeping cantilevers adjusted correctly takes a little more work. But keeping BSO linear brakes adjusted takes more work, too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.