Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why aren't aero-bars standard?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-12-12, 12:01 AM
feltboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I am a new cyclist from Victoria BC. I rode mountain bikes for a year but now I am enjoying my Felt road bike.
When I got the bike I got aero bars installed on it as well. They are very comfortable and easy to use. I like to cross train between standard and 'time trial' positioning.
However, I am in an unresolved debate with my fellow road riders as to why aero-bar use is not common and standard practice. I don't pack ride. I always ride alone. But I am the only person it seems who rides alone who uses these extra tools.
What is the reason for this?
Forgive me, I am still new to this sport.
Thanks
Old 08-12-12, 03:04 AM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are unsafe for group riding, don't allow easy braking and shifting (for clip-ons) and are only useful for increasing straight-line speed on the flat or slight gradients. Road bikes are sold for all-round riding - TT and tri bikes come with aero bars as standard.
Old 08-12-12, 05:45 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
TT bike geometry and fit is different than a typical road bike so serious TT cyclists don't normally ride road bikes with clip on aerobars. The clip ons are typically used by recreational riders seeking a different riding positions but they are frowned upon or forbidden for group rides for the reasons mentioned by MM.
Old 08-12-12, 06:12 AM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As the army says, "train like you fight". Mass start races do no allow aero bars - therefore I won't train with them.
Old 08-12-12, 06:36 AM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They look friggin goofy, that's why..
Old 08-12-12, 06:54 AM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MajorMantra
They are unsafe for group riding, don't allow easy braking and shifting <snip>
This. Aerobars just aren't safe in group rides. Some of us don't find them comfortable either.

Ride what you want and stop fretting about other people.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 08-12-12, 06:57 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Main reason is that the overwhelming majority of road bike sales go to people who have no interest in time-trialing or even racing in general or being aero in any way.
Old 08-12-12, 07:00 AM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use what you want...

They are frowned upon in a group ride because you have less control when in the aerobars and they are pointy if there's a crash and you go down...

And like the poster above stated, they are illegal in mass start events...
Old 08-12-12, 07:44 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
They look friggin goofy, that's why..
Oh yes, this. The rest of a roadies' kit looks normal.
Old 08-12-12, 08:10 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All of above.

For solo riders though, they're a great addition to your bike in terms of having extra hand positions and also maximizing speed by maximizing aerodynamics.

The group ride issue is because you can't reach the brakes fast enough if you're on the aerobars for sudden starting/stopping, and as well, as the theoretical risk of being 'speared' by an aerobar in a crash. In my experience, both of these risks are pretty overstated. If you're on your aerobars, you naturally know to be well off the aerobars - it's really scary/dicey to be on aerobars while with an attacking pack that's constantly changing pace and hanging inches from the wheel of the guy ahead. I don't know anybody who would voluntarily do this. The spearing issue is nearly unheard of - I've been cycling and on forums and reading bike news for 6 years now and have yet to hear of a real 'spike'.

I've also been on quite a number of group rides with guys with aerobars on their bikes (probably close to 100, actually), and it has never been a problem, ever. The gaps between riders on these rides tend to be a lot bigger than a fast attacking roadie paceline, and people stay off the bars in the group unless it's an obvious smooth sailing road.

Contrary to a lot of folks who simply bash aerobars on roadie forums, I've ridden with them a lot (my first bike was a TT bike and I road will ALL sorts of groups, both competitive roadie paceline crews and recreational loose packs), and this is the reality of actual experience with riding a lot but with and without aerobars, not just some theoretical stuff from someone who hasn't done so.
Old 08-12-12, 08:28 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Most cyclists I see locally that ride with aero bars have a huge stack of spacers and minimal saddle/bar drop.....so much for the "aero" position.
Old 08-12-12, 08:42 AM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
quick...where's the video of the accident with the guy in aerobars in a paceline?
Old 08-12-12, 08:47 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Originally Posted by ILUVUK
quick...where's the video of the accident with the guy in aerobars in a paceline?
Let's not start. I know that video, but for every one there are probably at least a dozen crash videos with regular drop bars. Ergo, it doesn't prove anything except the number of people putting it online.
Old 08-12-12, 09:00 AM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mpath
Most cyclists I see locally that ride with aero bars have a huge stack of spacers and minimal saddle/bar drop.....so much for the "aero" position.
To be fair some of those guys/gals are older and have other issues. Some can't ride as long without aero bars due to comfort/pain issues. I think it's stupid but I'm young and will get it someday.
Old 08-12-12, 09:11 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Aero bars make a lot of sense when riding solo in certain situations. They were invented by a rider for long distance riding (he won and I think still holds the record for highest overall average speed in RAAM).

They have distinct advantages:
1. Easier position since upper body rests on arms. This is the reason the RAAM competitor used them, to save energy.
2. Faster for a given speed, even if not necessarily "most aero possible" for that particular rider.
3. More comfortable. Gives additional position so less stress on nerves in hands, wrists.

They have distinct disadvantages:
1. Weight distribution is bad for emergency maneuvers, even if you have brake levers mounted on them (I've seen some riders with one brake lever for feathering speed in TTs).
2. Normal braking is impossible from aero bars
3. Less control in emergency situations, like a front or double flat tire. Not recommended for "busy" riding whether in a group, in busy urban areas, or with lots of other people around (think bike path with kids etc).

For solo riding in quieter environments aero bars are great. If they were legal I'd ride similar bars (Cinelli Spinacci, 3ttt Tirimasu, which don't offer the resting-on-them advantage), and I rode them the couple years they were pro-legal (but ironically amateur-in-US-illegal). I even used them in the winter when doing long steady solo rides.
Old 08-12-12, 09:56 AM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's not start. I know that video, but for every one there are probably at least a dozen crash videos with regular drop bars. Ergo, it doesn't prove anything except the number of people putting it online.
Fair enough, but if those aerobars even remotely contributed to that crash, then my point is perfectly valid...dozens of others, or not.
Old 08-12-12, 10:46 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Originally Posted by ILUVUK
Fair enough, but if those aerobars even remotely contributed to that crash, then my point is perfectly valid...dozens of others, or not.
Before I look at "remote" variables, I look at the obvious. In this case, the inexperience/ineptness/stupidity of the rider. Otherwise even the weather could have "remotely" contributed.
Old 08-12-12, 11:27 AM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 08-12-12, 11:52 AM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Aero bars just suck, if your handling abilities are ok probably is not a problem but like 90% of the suckers that use aero bars, aero bikes and are casual riders or week end warriors w/o experience in the real world of racing, so they will suck at handling and at some point they will have an accident or will be really close to have one. Seen too many since the bars came up like 30 years ago. Besides, for going 20 mph if the guy is trained or fit, the rider can do those speeds in a bike from 1945 with paniers and stuff. Since many guys ride in straight paths is not a big issue until something cross the road (kids, animals, bad calculations, etc) and they end in a ditch at the side of the road with a broken bone or something. Two weeks ago i saw a lady between 45 and 55 being taken off a ditch by the paramedics and her bike had aerobars... as i said before, seen too many already. Saw the problem with the handling 30 years ago and looks like people just like to follow the trends, good for cycling business, medical suppliers and hospitals.

Not saying I ride fast ok? my riding really sucks since retirement but pretty much thats how i see the issue with the famous and useless aerobars.
Old 08-12-12, 01:05 PM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I look at "remote" variables, I look at the obvious. In this case, the inexperience/ineptness/stupidity of the rider. Otherwise even the weather could have "remotely" contributed.
correct. however, one of those variables could easily have been eliminated.
Old 08-12-12, 01:11 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
Aero bars just suck, if your handling abilities are ok probably is not a problem but like 90% of the suckers that use aero bars, aero bikes and are casual riders or week end warriors w/o experience in the real world of racing, so they will suck at handling and at some point they will have an accident or will be really close to have one. Seen too many since the bars came up like 30 years ago. Besides, for going 20 mph if the guy is trained or fit, the rider can do those speeds in a bike from 1945 with paniers and stuff. Since many guys ride in straight paths is not a big issue until something cross the road (kids, animals, bad calculations, etc) and they end in a ditch at the side of the road with a broken bone or something. Two weeks ago i saw a lady between 45 and 55 being taken off a ditch by the paramedics and her bike had aerobars... as i said before, seen too many already. Saw the problem with the handling 30 years ago and looks like people just like to follow the trends, good for cycling business, medical suppliers and hospitals.

Not saying I ride fast ok? my riding really sucks since retirement but pretty much thats how i see the issue with the famous and useless aerobars.
Round here in Norcal, most of the people with aerobars are racing triathletes. Which is apparently better than you since you apparently don't race now.
Old 08-12-12, 01:18 PM
speedwobbles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the way up they'd be useless at best, and on the way down they'd be the death of me....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
elevation profile.jpg (37.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-12-12, 01:24 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
They are standard on time trial bikes, road bars are standard on road bikes. How is this a question?
Old 08-12-12, 01:38 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
Another issue that hasn't been touched is when aero bars are comfortable, they aren't aero. Unless you drastically lower the bars (slam the stem), have the aero position flat with the ground, and use a forward leaning seat post, you don't gain that much. If you look at the non-TT and non-tri riders, most have them mounted pointed toards the sky with s tem full of spacers

Last edited by StanSeven; 08-12-12 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-12-12, 01:53 PM
roca rule

Bikes: trek 2.1, scott cr1 sl '06, ridley helium '10, univega gran premio and a look 595.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you ride on flat road it is okay, but if you do more than that, they are not as useful. think about it if you climb foe about 10 miles in one hour that is one hour of carying dead weight good for nothing. and if you are decending they won't too much good either. i think the advantage comes in longer distances on flatter roads that are clear and predictable. this does not mean they are faster than a regular set up, but they are more comfortable to hold speed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.