Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

vegan cyclists

Old 04-25-17, 05:20 PM
bikehound

Bikes: Whistle Miwok, Jupiter Roadster, Philips city bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there, since going vegan 4 months ago I found I can recover faster and can ride for longer and my afternoon drowsiness has reduced, I attribute this to eating more carbs and nutritious meals, it does however take more cooking skill, planning and commitment, and initially I felt bloated and then very hungry again, also it's very easy to munch on chips and drink coke often and end up an unhealthy vegan. So for anyone who wants to do the leap consider a gradual shift into eating more vegan foods instead of going cold turkey and also start collecting new recopies I was surprised by the variety of vegan things even if you're not vegan and just want a healthy snack try some vegan recepies!
Old 04-25-17, 05:32 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
The late Mark Whitehead was at a party where I was about 25 years ago. At that time he was training some big names / was one of the big names. Being a cyclist/tri kinda party, hosted by a great vegan cook the subject came up. His response stuck with me.

He said something like "I would never train a vegan". Five to ten min of arguments similar to what is in this thread started before someone asked him why.
He then said something to the effect of - He didn't want to train any athlete who who looked at food other than how to maximize their performance.

That was the core there. Not that it couldn't work fine, better, worse, just that no point in training someone that limits what is legally available.
Old 04-25-17, 05:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm an omnivore but I admire the discipline and appreciate the intellectual consistency of vegans. Same goes for those fasting for Ramadan.
Old 04-25-17, 07:28 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
intellectual consistency is a strange term. especially juxtaposed with something religious and something damn-near impossible.
Old 04-25-17, 08:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yeah, I guess I am conflating a few things. One is that if you say you don't eat animals but you eat animal products or even certain types of animals (usually non terrestrial) then it seems like a curious distinction.

Fasting, whether for religious or dietary reasons, isn't the same thing, but it takes a lot of discipline.
Old 04-25-17, 08:17 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Yeah, I guess I am conflating a few things. One is that if you say you don't eat animals but you eat animal products or even certain types of animals (usually non terrestrial) then it seems like a curious distinction.

Fasting, whether for religious or dietary reasons, isn't the same thing, but it takes a lot of discipline.
the vegan thing gets me because if you look at like, literally anything humans touch, buy, consume, use etc..., it's on the back of an animal or ecosystem somewhere.
Old 04-26-17, 02:57 AM
bikehound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
the vegan thing gets me because if you look at like, literally anything humans touch, buy, consume, use etc..., it's on the back of an animal or ecosystem somewhere.
Well it all boils down to taking less of a chunk from said ecosystem, I find it a small sacrifice to make for the amount of resources saved. Some vegans go a step further and chose to abstain from coffee or palm oil for this reason, I would find that very restricting as a student I have to resort to pot noodles and occasionally binge on a tub of oreos both contain palm oil and needless to say I drink coffee by the gallon.

Look, I don't what to be THAT VEGAN in the end it's all up to you to make a decision but why not watch a documentary or read articles from both sides of the argument to inform yourself, I'm sure most people can see that some articles have a conflict of interest for example, I find that most critics haven't bothered to look at the facts and that's why I just tell them to get informed and leave it at that, I would be wasting my effort and making myself look imposing by trying harder. Remember it's ok to be wrong, we all want to evolve and implies that we should criticize our current status quo every now and then. Anyway just think about it, I came here to discuss cycling and cool bikes
Old 04-26-17, 06:23 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@RoboIsGod Get in here!

Personally, not vegan. Former teammate (mentioned above) is. He swears by it and is skinnier than me. He tells me that if I go vegan I will lose those extra pounds I have tried to lose for years. I retort back that I will just binge eat tofu instead.
Old 04-26-17, 06:49 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by bikehound

Look, I don't what to be THAT VEGAN ...Anyway just think about it, I came here to discuss cycling and cool bikes
We used to take the leather off our saddles.
Now we buy vegan saddles.

I think the vegan looks better, is lighter, but sometimes more fragile without flesh around it.
Seat.jpg

Last edited by Doge; 04-26-17 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-26-17, 06:54 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
In grad school, I had a classmate who was vegan. But she was a militant vegan, the kind of person who brought in pamphlets on slaughter houses and frequently shoved them in your face. She also insisted that everyone accommodate her diet, but she never considered accommodating others. That pretty much turned me of on Vegans. (Also, I like steak.)

That has pretty much been my experience with vegans until my last job, where I met my first non-militant vegan coworker. He was happy to discuss it if you asked, but he didn't try to push it on anyone.
Old 04-26-17, 07:04 AM
ozgur.nevres

Bikes: LOOK 565, Cannondale CAAD10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
I've seen various testimonials from vegan cyclists about how going vegan or meat/dairy free have helped dramatically improve their cycling performance. One guy said his FTP went up 50W. Another guy said he's recovering faster. I believe both of these guys were interviewed by the vegan cyclist (youtube channel).

Can you guys shed some light on why going vegan can help you performance wise? Is it the micronutrients? avoidance of processed food? what's wrong with meat/dairy?
50 watt? No way.
I am a vegetarian who trying to be vegan, but that claim is just ridiculous. Unless he is a rhinoceros or something.

Last edited by ozgur.nevres; 04-26-17 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-26-17, 07:16 AM
bikehound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
We used to take the leather off our saddles.
Now we buy vegan saddles.

I think the vegan looks better, is lighter, but sometimes more fragile without flesh around it.
Attachment 560831
Yeah I don't bother with veganising my wardrobe, car upholstery, bike etc... if I have it I'm gonna use it till it breaks but I will never buy leather, down or wool gain, again just a personal choice, diet has the biggest impact for sure.

being more lax, i.e. into steel and alloy bikes I have never seen Carbon rods on a seat post! That is what I call chasing marginal gains to the extreme , sure looks neat though, what's that little plastic box with wires sticking out under the saddle? is it a cell for lighting?
Old 04-26-17, 07:36 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by bikehound
Yeah I don't bother with veganising my wardrobe, car upholstery, bike etc... if I have it I'm gonna use it till it breaks but I will never buy leather, down or wool gain, again just a personal choice, diet has the biggest impact for sure.

being more lax, i.e. into steel and alloy bikes I have never seen Carbon rods on a seat post! That is what I call chasing marginal gains to the extreme , sure looks neat though, what's that little plastic box with wires sticking out under the saddle? is it a cell for lighting?
Di2 junction A. It is in the handle bar now.
Post is alloy and lighter than carbon.
Old 04-26-17, 07:51 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a hard time taking a site staff instigated "POLARIZING TOPIC: discuss quietly" thread seriously. The distinct absence of their presence speaks volumes.

Last edited by miyata man; 04-26-17 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-26-17, 07:55 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Ethics aside, I think the tales of vegan hulk strength are kinda like how people think CrossFit is the best thing ever because it's the first thing they stuck with long-term after getting off their couch. If you go from not tracking macros to having to be hyper vigilant about your nutrition, it would be pretty surprising if you didn't see decent gains come from it.
Old 04-26-17, 07:59 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Ethics aside, I think the tales of vegan hulk strength are kinda like how people think CrossFit is the best thing ever because it's the first thing they stuck with long-term after getting off their couch. If you go from not tracking macros to having to be hyper vigilant about your nutrition, it would be pretty surprising if you didn't see decent gains come from it.
Speaking of crossfit, I know a former cyclist who has gotten into crossfit big time. Unfortunately, said person keeps getting injured and landing in the ER. But that does not stop them from going back the next day to finish whatever workout they are trying to get through . Sure, they may be dealing with the lingering effects of a concussion from passing out during the workout yesterday and hitting their head, but damn if they'll miss their WOD today.
Old 04-26-17, 08:03 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
There's a great BroScienceLife about crossfit.

Actually, just go ahead and watch all of the BroScienceLife videos.
Old 04-26-17, 08:47 AM
topflightpro

Just watched one. It was pretty funny. Good thing I had headphones on though.
Old 04-26-17, 10:02 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro
In grad school, I had a classmate who was vegan. But she was a militant vegan, the kind of person who brought in pamphlets on slaughter houses and frequently shoved them in your face. She also insisted that everyone accommodate her diet, but she never considered accommodating others. That pretty much turned me of on Vegans. (Also, I like steak.)
i once saw a cyclist run a red light, that pretty much turned me off on cyclists.
Old 04-27-17, 07:40 AM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My girlfriend is (mostly) vegan and has been making food for me to eat. I'd say eating vegan with lots of greens and whole vegetables can make a positive difference in feeling of wellbeing and energy on the bike, at least in my experience. Not to mention the weight loss. The problem with meat and dairy is mostly that it causes cancer, it also inflames your body to some extent. As far as macronutrients it's not actually that hard to get sufficient protein although you should take B12 supplements. I used to be skeptical but now I think it's a good idea. At first I was like nah I'm gonna go hungry and be weak and tired but it's really the opposite of that. Honestly I think you can perform just as well eating vegan or eating a clean diet with meat in it, however eating vegan forces you to eat more vitamins and compounds in plants that do positive things for your body, and like I said before not eating meat cuts down your chances of getting cancer by shocking margins. Also FWIW my girlfriend is one of the fastest local female racers even though she hardly trains so if there was a deficiency in a vegan diet it should be obvious, she does eat a lot of beans for protein lol.

Last edited by mazdaspeed; 04-27-17 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-27-17, 09:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
The problem with meat and dairy is mostly that it causes cancer, it also inflames your body to some extent
certainly flares up my gout.
Old 04-27-17, 11:57 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My girlfriend is (mostly) vegan and has been making food for me to eat. I'd say eating vegan with lots of greens and whole vegetables can make a positive difference in feeling of wellbeing and energy on the bike, at least in my experience. Not to mention the weight loss. The problem with meat and dairy is mostly that it causes cancer, it also inflames your body to some extent. As far as macronutrients it's not actually that hard to get sufficient protein although you should take B12 supplements. I used to be skeptical but now I think it's a good idea. At first I was like nah I'm gonna go hungry and be weak and tired but it's really the opposite of that. Honestly I think you can perform just as well eating vegan or eating a clean diet with meat in it, however eating vegan forces you to eat more vitamins and compounds in plants that do positive things for your body, and like I said before not eating meat cuts down your chances of getting cancer by shocking margins. Also FWIW my girlfriend is one of the fastest local female racers even though she hardly trains so if there was a deficiency in a vegan diet it should be obvious, she does eat a lot of beans for protein lol.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
certainly flares up my gout.
i just looked this up. it looks like the main meats in question are processed meats and red meats. fish, chicken, and other lean meats are ok.

i appreciate the input so far.

also, the video on fiber was pretty informative
Old 04-27-17, 04:20 PM
Doge

Vegan's are disciplined eaters. Often there is a comparison to non disciplined eaters.

If Froome, Sagan (maybe not Sagan) or others would pick up 5W being vegans - I think they'd be vegans.
Old 04-27-17, 04:22 PM
Doge

...I'd say eating vegan with lots of greens and whole vegetables can make a positive difference in feeling of wellbeing and energy on the bike, at least in my experience....
And if eating the same, but small portions <30% of calories, of wild fish, grass fed beef, free-range chicken - do you think there would be a noticeable difference?
Old 04-27-17, 05:04 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I've been introduced to the Pritikan diet. Clearly more severe than I could maintain, but there are some pluses regarding one's health. As far as protein sources, there's plenty without animal sources.

If you've ever had a chance to measure resources utilized to produce various animal based protein resources, you'd be impressed. Water is a main one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.