Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

cassette removal tool

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

cassette removal tool

Old 12-29-21, 07:19 PM
SethL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
cassette removal tool

So I went ahead and purchased the 8 dollar cassette removal tool from amazon and guess what, it doesn't work. You get what you pay for It is the one with the 8-inch Allan key that plugs into this metal sprocket remover. You hold the chain whip in one hand and the Allan key in the other. I tried multiple positions and pulled with all my might to try and loosen it and it won't budge. I think the problem is the sprocket remover does not grip the cassette lock ring tight enough so when I add-force, I am just pushing down and potentially stripping the bolt. Would you recommend getting the kind of sprocket remover that has a pin to go into the hub? Do you think it helps to have one with the handle attached? Thanks.
Likes For SethL:
Old 12-29-21, 07:30 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
An 8" wrench is probably inadequate.
I use a 1" box wrench which is MUCH longer and some are still a bit tight.

Is 8" a requirement or just something to further obscure your description?
You have enough posts to post pics or links. That might give a clue as to what you are talking about.
Old 12-29-21, 07:41 PM
SethL

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Here are some photos. I think the problem is the losing nut is not tighly inserted into the lock ring. Having a tool to create more torque could help but I think the nut is just digging into the lock ring.
Old 12-29-21, 07:54 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
That tool is way too long to give effective leverage without using 3 arms.
The PARK remover allows you to secure the tool with a QR skewer.
Use a large adjustable wrench on the tool flats.
You need more than 8" leverage in most cases.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 12-29-21, 08:02 PM
SethL

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you mean this
Amazon.com : Park Tool FR-5.2 Cassette Lockring Tool - Fits Shimano, SRAM, SunRace, SunTour, Chris King, Others : Sports & Outdoors

what should the length of the wrench be?
Old 12-29-21, 08:15 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
I have a similar removal tool that was a part of a Bike Nashbar toolkit I bought years ago and I haven’t had any problems removing a cassette.
Old 12-29-21, 08:26 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Well, get one more hand to hold the chain whip and use channel locks on that serrated area opposite the Allen wrench.
Old 12-29-21, 08:29 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I use this two:

Feedback Sports Bottom Bracket + Lockring Tool
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pedro's Vise Whip
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-29-21, 09:44 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by SethL
...what should the length of the wrench be?
Sometimes I need every ft-lb of torque from a 12" adjustable. But it doesn't make any sense to exceed the length of your whip. On extreme cases, I'll wrap a short piece of chain on a cog and use my 14" pipe wrench.

You mentioned you tried multiple positions of the wrenches, and I hope you tried the most ergonomic of having the two wrench handles close together. The way they're aligned in the photo, you'll have to use the small muscles in the wrist to turn them. If they're aligned, you can straighten your arms and use the larger muscles in your shoulders.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 12-29-21, 11:18 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
You mentioned you tried multiple positions of the wrenches, and I hope you tried the most ergonomic of having the two wrench handles close together. The way they're aligned in the photo, you'll have to use the small muscles in the wrist to turn them. If they're aligned, you can straighten your arms and use the larger muscles in your shoulders.
Exactly. Try to align the respective handles of the two tools so that they are only slightly apart (e.g., at 6 and 8 o'clock positions) and then squeeze the two handles together (i.e., toward each other) with both hands to loosen the lock ring.

The tools that SethL is using are hardly ideal. The Park Tool cassette remover (at least the no pin model) can be fastened onto the lock ring with a QR skewer so that the tool does not slip off the lock ring even if one uses the longest wrench one owns.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-30-21, 12:37 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
You are turning the lockring tool COUNTER clockwise?

Cheers
Old 12-30-21, 02:26 AM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
what kind of hub is that?

my hub has little serations on the smallest cog that kind of have this racheting mechanism going on as to limit torque,

if yours has this, then the lockring should not be that tight, it just may be rusted on there in which case soaking it down first would be the first step.

second step would be to secure that tool on there with a quick release or if needed, a longer fastener of which i know not of the whereabouts for procurement of such an implement.
Old 12-30-21, 06:09 AM
SethL

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, everyone. Great suggestions! I tried some. The Allen key should be longer and designed more like an actual wrench but this and my brute force are not the issues. If the black losing nut does not fit securely into the center of the cassette and wiggles around, there is no way it will loosen. Taking to a mechanic today!
Old 12-30-21, 10:06 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
High torque applications are not a place to skimp on tool quality
Old 12-30-21, 10:17 AM
Bici Veloce

Bikes: 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace Di2, 2022 Cervelo Caledonia-5 SRAM Rival etap AXS, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 85 Bianchi Limited Shimano New 600EX

Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Park Tool demonstrates how to use a workbench vice to remove the cassette as an alternative....Starts at about 4:15 on the video.

Old 01-01-22, 08:54 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by SethL

Here are some photos. I think the problem is the losing nut is not tighly inserted into the lock ring. Having a tool to create more torque could help but I think the nut is just digging into the lock ring.
I looks to me as though you have those tools set up to TIGHTEN the lockring. Put the hex wrench so the handle is on the LEFT side of the lockring removal tool and then put the wheel vertical and push down on the hex key.

Cheers
Old 01-01-22, 09:17 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
My travel bike box has an 8" in it and I have used it for many years exactly the way SoSmellyAir spelled out for you and never had a problem with family and friends cassettes.
Old 01-01-22, 09:27 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Further suggestions to SethL: (1) Toss the "Allan" [sic] key; (2) secure the "metal sprocket remover" onto the lock ring with the rear QR skewer; (3) use a proper wrench to turn the "metal sprocket remover" as I outlined above (in post #11). Good luck.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-01-22, 11:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Don't tighten your lock rings so tight. Half the time I don't need a chain whip to loosen mine. Just a rag to keep the teeth from sticking me when I hold the cassette.

The cheap tool is fine if it isn't slipping. If you aren't doing this every day of your life a better tool will just be something to brag about.

Not sure why you didn't put a cheater over the hex wrench if it is that tight.
Old 01-01-22, 11:48 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
I didn't see that it had room for an open end wrench. Pretty tall tool for a quick release. Doesn't hurt to put some light grease on the threads before reinstalling.
Old 01-01-22, 04:50 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I looks to me as though you have those tools set up to TIGHTEN the lockring.
IIRC, the chain whip is not necessary to tighten the lockring, as the pawls of the freehub engage and provide resistance.
Looks like the tools are set up to remove the lockring (isn't it a right-hand thread?)... but I haven't done this operation for a couple years.
Old 01-01-22, 08:41 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by curbtender
I didn't see that it had room for an open end wrench.
The top photo in post #17 shows that the "metal sprocket remover" has a portion with a hexagonal cross section (under a circular disc) with what appear to be parallel surfaces which presumably can be engaged by a wrench.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-02-22, 02:35 AM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by sweeks
IIRC, the chain whip is not necessary to tighten the lockring, as the pawls of the freehub engage and provide resistance.
Looks like the tools are set up to remove the lockring (isn't it a right-hand thread?)... but I haven't done this operation for a couple years.
Yes, a chainwhip is not needed in order to tighten a lockring.

Look at the images. The OP has the hex key handle to the right. Thus in order to loosen that lockring he has to pull up on t he hex key. If he had the hex key handle to the left he could exert a lot more force by pushing down on the hex key handle. As it is now, if he pushes down on that hex key handle he'll be tightening the lockring not loosening it.

Here's an image showing where the hex key handle should be for easier removal of that lockring.

I wonder if the OP has gotten the lockring off already?

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 01-02-22, 06:16 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Cheater bar.
Old 01-02-22, 12:15 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
reclock the positioning opposite to what is show with the whip on the 3rd smallest cog & wrap the chain around as many teeth while having just a few more links free between the whip tool handle & cog.. Pushing downward in a vertical stance, & with the counterclockwise jolt force using the leverage of the hex tool, it should enable the removal the lock ring.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.