Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2016 Cannondale CAAD 8 vs 2020 Specialized Allez

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-05-22, 04:55 PM
Ossian911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going to buy a used bike and need help deciding between the two. The cannondale has origional frame and forks, tiagra rear shifter and sram front shifter. Allez is stock. Thanks in advance
Old 08-05-22, 05:45 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
It's like buying anything used. Part of it is doing an inspection for worn parts, cracks, dents, etc. With a bike it's important that it's the right size for your body. And there is what it does for you when you look at it and ride it.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-05-22, 07:16 PM
Chimbles

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 13, Specialized Allez

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cant go wrong with either one. As one of my friends says (who is light years ahead of me experience wise ) Just go ride! I have basically the same bikes and love them both.
Old 08-05-22, 11:28 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
Originally Posted by Ossian911
The cannondale has origional frame and forks, tiagra rear shifter and sram front shifter.
Why does it have a Tiagra rear shifter and SRAM front shifter? Did the original Tiagra front shifter get damaged in a crash? What other creative fixes did this guy do? Just for this alone I would skip this bike.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 08-06-22, 12:45 AM
Ossian911

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Why does it have a Tiagra rear shifter and SRAM front shifter? Did the original Tiagra front shifter get damaged in a crash? What other creative fixes did this guy do? Just for this alone I would skip this bike.
he says he built it up from the frame
Old 08-06-22, 12:00 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
So the two shifters/brake levers don't match? The first thing I'd do with that bike is find either a matching Shimano front or SRAM rear.

Also in the absence of any other information (price, components, condition, etc) I'm not sure why anyone would choose the older bike with mis-matched shifters.
Old 08-07-22, 04:07 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
While I’d rather go for the CAAD over the Allez, I’d be wary of a bike that has a mis-match of something major like Brifters or wheels, unless it’s at a very deep discount compared to similar bikes

Was the seller up front about the mis-match, or did you notice it and have to ask?

*I’ve sold a couple of ‘bitsa’ bikes before; to use up “it’s still good, but I’ll probably never use it on my bike parts;” but I’m very up-front about what it is, and I let it go cheap. ​​​​​​
Old 08-07-22, 05:25 AM
Ossian911

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
While I’d rather go for the CAAD over the Allez, I’d be wary of a bike that has a mis-match of something major like Brifters or wheels, unless it’s at a very deep discount compared to similar bikes

Was the seller up front about the mis-match, or did you notice it and have to ask?

*I’ve sold a couple of ‘bitsa’ bikes before; to use up “it’s still good, but I’ll probably never use it on my bike parts;” but I’m very up-front about what it is, and I let it go cheap. ​​​​​​
He said about the different parts and had it listed for £150 but I got him down to £100
Old 08-07-22, 07:10 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
I would choose neither. I know nothing about either bike aside from a minuscule amount of information provided that really doesn't say a lot. A newer bike is generally the way to go but if that newer bike has even lower end components then the Tiagra and SRAM then I might skip it but who knows.

I know if I go for a Specialized I want a brand new bike from a dealer so I can qualify for my lifetime warranty on the frame and fork and Roval wheels (should they come with them) because that literally paid off for me when my old Langster frame cracked after 11 years and they sent me a new one and a limited edition frame at that.
Old 08-07-22, 01:54 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
One of my long time personal rules when buying toys (guitars,guns,bikes, etc), is, "all things being (more or less) equal.......go with best resale value!!"
its proven helpful more times than I can recall.
So, not seeing or knowing much else about the bike, I tend agree with the above comments about the mismatched shifters.