Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Lights for Shimano Steps

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Lights for Shimano Steps

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-22, 09:38 AM
Vingleik Vaagal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lights for Shimano Steps

I'm trying to find a light for my e-bike that has a Shimano 5000 motor on it. I have a free port on my terminal underneath the head unit, would be neat to just plug it in there in stead of hard wiring, and trying to get a cable trough the frame down to the motor. The only light I've found which does that is Lupine, but for a cheaper commuter bike that is way beyond what I wanna spend on the convenience of not having to charge my front light. Is there any clever solutions?

Edit: And if I do find out that I wanna wire through the frame and down to the crank and motor, anything I need to connect front and rear lights?

Last edited by Vingleik Vaagal; 08-08-22 at 10:20 AM.
Likes For Vingleik Vaagal:
Old 08-08-22, 11:07 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I don't know about the 5000, but the 6100 has lights as an option
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-08-22, 03:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
You might have to solder in a connection but Supernova or Busch and Müller would be my top choices. A commuter bike without lights is really not a commuter bike and while the parts on it might be cheap lights should not as they are an important safety feature and have good lights with a good beam pattern is quite important and worth spending money on. The new Trelock lights also look nice but haven't had a chance to test them out but again it comes down to a good beam pattern and some decent brightness but brightness should be second to beam pattern. Plus if you do have a really good set of lights you can move them to a new bike when you upgrade and just solder in new connections as needed.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-09-22, 08:37 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
For my wife and me, (but probably in the minority), there are many great self-contained light systems (we use Lezyne). We ride only off road at night and these have an excellent pattern. For whatever reason, charging them separately isn't a problem (well, that and we ride MTB). I suggest that you look into one if you're unable to find something that hooks up easily.
Old 08-09-22, 08:56 AM
Vingleik Vaagal

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got a few different Lezyne lights, front and rear, that I've used on both my road and gravel bike the last couple of years. Just wanted something that I dont have to charge up, something that just plugs into the bike. Found a decent one from Lezyne which is Shimano compatible, and it seems like an easy installation down by the motor, plug and screw. The only issues is pulling the wire through the frame. Done it a couple of times on my road bike, but then it was stripped, don't know if I wanna deal with the hassle on my electric hence why I'm looking for a light that plugs directly into the free port underneath the head unit.
Likes For Vingleik Vaagal:
Old 08-09-22, 05:48 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Good luck with the system. It''s really neat to have wires that go through the frame, but not without other challenges.
Old 08-31-22, 06:08 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I want to put a front rack on my wife's Steps bike, so I'll have to move the light. I'll try to remember this thread when I look at it
Old 09-09-22, 12:12 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Vingleik Vaagal
I'm trying to find a light for my e-bike that has a Shimano 5000 motor on it. I have a free port on my terminal underneath the head unit, would be neat to just plug it in there in stead of hard wiring, and trying to get a cable trough the frame down to the motor. The only light I've found which does that is Lupine, but for a cheaper commuter bike that is way beyond what I wanna spend on the convenience of not having to charge my front light. Is there any clever solutions?

Edit: And if I do find out that I wanna wire through the frame and down to the crank and motor, anything I need to connect front and rear lights?
I just got my wife a E5000 powered 'hybrid', and have been going the rounds on this.

That third connector on display unit is not for lighting, I'm not sure what its for.

The light connection is down on the motor unit, and require a Shimano SM-DUE01 adapter, that plugs into a block on the mid drive, and provides two screws you can connect your front and rear lights to. Nothing I've found yet tells me how many volts this outputs (my last ebike used 6V LED lamps, it was a random hub motor kit).