Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

7mm Fender Clearance?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

7mm Fender Clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-22, 07:46 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
7mm Fender Clearance?

Hello folks,

I'd like to purchase some Velo Orange hammered fenders in 45mm preferably (50mm might barely squeak into the frame and I think will look too large) to match with a pair of 700c rims that I've got fresh 38mm tires on. I understand the clearance might be tight but I'm willing to fiddle with the fenders to get the fit correct - I just want to know if anyone with experience might suggest nixxing the idea completely because that obviously isn't enough space for some reason... Thanks in advance!

-Gregory
Old 04-22-22, 08:13 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 383 Posts
I think it should work, the frame and fork clearance and installation will probably be the more important factors though.

If you can fit wider tires in your frame than you’re currently using, I’d give the fenders a try. If you can’t then there may not be clearance for the fenders.

Last edited by bboy314; 04-22-22 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-22-22, 08:19 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
I ran into this same issue last year. I had some fenders stored away that I wanted to use on a project. They measured 45mm inside, and I had 38mm Gravelkings.

They're a pretty snug fit, but I've had no problems so far. I did have to notch the front fenderwhere it meets the fork legs. The clearance was too tight to 'pinch' or 'dimple' it, so I marked it and used a dremel and a cutoff wheel.

Likes For Roger M:
Old 04-22-22, 09:00 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Expect to fiddle. 28s with my 40mm Berthouds required a occasional fiddling and after that experience, I would not try 38s with 45s.
Old 04-22-22, 09:15 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
I ran into this same issue last year. I had some fenders stored away that I wanted to use on a project. They measured 45mm inside, and I had 38mm Gravelkings.

They're a pretty snug fit, but I've had no problems so far. I did have to notch the front fenderwhere it meets the fork legs. The clearance was too tight to 'pinch' or 'dimple' it, so I marked it and used a dremel and a cutoff wheel.

Forget the bike, it’s the background that matters. If the sign is there, does that mean that Leilani Lanes is closed? If it is, I’m never visiting Ballard again.
Old 04-22-22, 09:33 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M

Valuable info, with questions.
I've converted two 700c road bikes to 650C.
The biggest tire I can use is the GravelKing 38.
I want fenders, but am simply not sure I can use them.
Are there any general rules of thumb, or is it pretty much "give it a shot?"

My only successful fender build was a 27" conversion to 700C on a frame that had fender mounts already.
Old 04-22-22, 09:54 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Forget the bike, it’s the background that matters. If the sign is there, does that mean that Leilani Lanes is closed? If it is, I’m never visiting Ballard again.
Yeah, Leilani Lanes got bulldozed over ten years ago, making way for Apartments and stores. That pin has been a decoration at a Snohomish nursery for several years.
Old 04-22-22, 10:07 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
Valuable info, with questions.
I've converted two 700c road bikes to 650C.
The biggest tire I can use is the GravelKing 38.
I want fenders, but am simply not sure I can use them.
Are there any general rules of thumb, or is it pretty much "give it a shot?"

My only successful fender build was a 27" conversion to 700C on a frame that had fender mounts already.
Yep, for me it's pretty much been "give it a shot". It helps to have tires in hand. With tires mounted and on the frame, you can get a general idea of the clearance at all the close contact points.

I do think it's possible to run fenders with less clearance, but it takes more time, and your wheels need to be true. Also, if I ever plan on any 'serious' gravel riding, I'll rum 35mm tires or remove the fenders.

Edit: I bought this as a frame and fork, so I'm not sure if it originally had 27" tires.
Old 04-22-22, 10:13 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4679 Post(s)
Liked 5,798 Times in 2,283 Posts
Clearance requirements vary depending on usage of the bike, methinks.

If you want to put fenders on a bike you're riding on gravel often, you want lots of clearance. Tires can pick up rocks and rattle them around between tire and fender. The smaller the gap, the more you hear this. One bit gets stuck between the tire and fender, you can get this:

My "pure gravel bike" has 30mm of clearance:

Big Red, my "all rounder" has 20mm. I'll take this on fire roads that don't have huge ruts and chunky gravel:

A pure city bike can get by with less. This is my 2 speed kickback Raleigh Gran(d) Sport(s):
Old 04-22-22, 12:52 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Thanks for all of the information, folks. I'll just go with the 50mm fenders as it'll clearly be less hassle. The frame should just take them and the more snug they are between the stays the less they rattle around anyway, which is fine by me!

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 04-22-22, 01:01 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Good choice going with the 50s. Having launched myself over the bars because of a jam between fender and tire, I now go minimum 10mm clearance.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-22-22, 01:38 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I have 38s under 45s and would be happier with 50s.