Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any way to get away from 700c ?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-14-22, 09:02 PM
runnergoneridin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm on a Cervelo 54cm unit and I'm in an area with I'm sure not the worst roads, but not the greatest. After repairing two tubes today and then ditching the bike once I got back home for a big nasty Schwinn to finish some calorie burn, I noticed the big tires on the Schwinn. I has 700x38c tires. You could throw anything at them and you're not inducing a flat.

Pretty much, can I put some meatier tires on the Cervelo so I can leave my tire wedges and spare tubes at home... and work out and have less bs to think about ?

OR... is there a tire in 700c that can handle the beating? Gator Skins ?
Old 08-14-22, 09:18 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
700c refers to the diameter; you seem interested in a wider tire, which is the second measurement. (i.e., the 38mm width of the tires on your Schwinn.)

Without knowing WHICH Cervelo you are riding, no one can tell you whether wider tires will fit. Maybe you should take a look at the frame and fork, and see if there is room for wider tires?

Ditto for your question about running tougher tires: you haven't told us what tires are currently on the bike.

If you want advice, you have to give people something to work with.
Old 08-14-22, 09:42 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Go as thick as you can fit into your frame.

Or get a gravel bike. The geometry on mine is almost identical to a typical road bike; just clearance for wider tires. The 650b wheelset on mine will crush some pretty nasty terrain without breaking a sweat.
Likes For Moisture:
Old 08-14-22, 09:46 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Yup, gatorkskin, gravelking, scwhalbe marathon, armadillo.

Even these tough tires are still not 100% puncture proof so it would be smart to keep bringing spare tube. Granted, they do puncture a lot less than regular, unprotected tires. Wider is always good for reducing punctures due to lower pressure used and you get additional option for tubeless with wider tires. Those puncture resistant tires mentioned are also available in tubeless version. If you're thinking of going tubeless, don't think an unprotected tubeless tires will be tough against punctures. The sealant would fail on bigger holes / cuts. If you want puncture resistance, then you need no other than puncture resistant tires even if going tubeless. The cuts and holes on tubeless puncture resistant tires if they happen will be a lot smaller than with unprotected tubeless tires so you have better chance of the sealant plugging the puncture. And then you still need to bring spare tube for tubeless tires for the worst case scenario.

I have plenty of deep cuts on my gravelking plus, removed so many embedded glass and metal shards, wires spanning its useful life and not even punctured once. Had I used unprotected tires, I'd have punctured at least 5x already.

Last edited by koala logs; 08-14-22 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-14-22, 10:05 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
If you are looking for calorie burn and puncture resistance, the gatorskins will help with both. They don't have great rolling resistance. Unlike others on this forum, I think they are great tires but not nearly as fun to ride as GP5000

Also, get the widest tires that can fit in your frame.
Old 08-15-22, 06:51 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
We like to leave a 3mm gap between the tire and any spot on your frame or fork so you don't get rub under max acceleration or if the wheel get a slight wobble on a ride.
At 72 I don't do hard acceleration and I am careful with inspections so I go down to 2mm or so but watch the frame/fork carefully.
Old 08-15-22, 07:01 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
It's a hassle, but besides going wider you may want to consider tubeless with sealant.
Old 08-15-22, 08:01 AM
runnergoneridin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Symox
If you are looking for calorie burn and puncture resistance, the gatorskins will help with both. They don't have great rolling resistance. Unlike others on this forum, I think they are great tires but not nearly as fun to ride as GP5000

Also, get the widest tires that can fit in your frame.
I've never tried the GP tires. So it's actually something you notice the difference in?
Old 08-15-22, 08:07 AM
runnergoneridin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by koala logs
Yup, gatorkskin, gravelking, scwhalbe marathon, armadillo.

Even these tough tires are still not 100% puncture proof so it would be smart to keep bringing spare tube. Granted, they do puncture a lot less than regular, unprotected tires. Wider is always good for reducing punctures due to lower pressure used and you get additional option for tubeless with wider tires. Those puncture resistant tires mentioned are also available in tubeless version. If you're thinking of going tubeless, don't think an unprotected tubeless tires will be tough against punctures. The sealant would fail on bigger holes / cuts. If you want puncture resistance, then you need no other than puncture resistant tires even if going tubeless. The cuts and holes on tubeless puncture resistant tires if they happen will be a lot smaller than with unprotected tubeless tires so you have better chance of the sealant plugging the puncture. And then you still need to bring spare tube for tubeless tires for the worst case scenario.

I have plenty of deep cuts on my gravelking plus, removed so many embedded glass and metal shards, wires spanning its useful life and not even punctured once. Had I used unprotected tires, I'd have punctured at least 5x already.
So is it the more robust gatorskin tire (or whichever listed) that protects the tube better... not letting it get pinched or punctured? When this thing first went down I hit a straight-edged dip in the roadway and it went to spewing. My only thoughts were that it pinched the inner tube because I can see that it did it more to the side of the tube.
Old 08-15-22, 08:08 AM
runnergoneridin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll have to measure clearance but I feel like I have quite a bit. I didn't realize I had so many options for 700c tire width.
Old 08-15-22, 08:10 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by runnergoneridin
So is it the more robust gatorskin tire (or whichever listed) that protects the tube better... not letting it get pinched or punctured? When this thing first went down I hit a straight-edged dip in the roadway and it went to spewing. My only thoughts were that it pinched the inner tube because I can see that it did it more to the side of the tube.
A Gaterskin tire will not protect against pinch flats. They only provide better protection against things puncturing the tire itself
Old 08-15-22, 09:25 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by runnergoneridin;[url=tel:22610688
22610688[/url]]I've never tried the GP tires. So it's actually something you notice the difference in?
yes

faster
more comfort
better grip
Lighter

The Grand Prix 5000 are fantastic tires
Likes For Symox:
Old 08-15-22, 09:45 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Puncture resistant tires will also protect from pinch flat better BUT still won't give you 100% guarantee you'll never pinch flat. You will only pinch flat less.

A better guarantee for improving pinch flat resistance is going for wider tires. If you can get wide enough, might even be able to go tubeless and tubeless puncture resistant tires is the best possible protection for all kinds of flats including pinch flats.
Old 08-15-22, 10:05 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
I'll have to measure clearance but I feel like I have quite a bit. I didn't realize I had so many options for 700c tire width.
The easiest thing to do is take series of hex wrenches and see which is the widest one that you can get clearance all over between your tires and the bike/brakes.
Likes For himespau:
Old 08-15-22, 10:46 AM
runnergoneridin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by easyupbug
We like to leave a 3mm gap between the tire and any spot on your frame or fork so you don't get rub under max acceleration or if the wheel get a slight wobble on a ride.
At 72 I don't do hard acceleration and I am careful with inspections so I go down to 2mm or so but watch the frame/fork carefully.
I checked and for the rear I can get up to a 28 in there with good flex clearance to spare. For the front, I feel like a 25 is about all I can muster while maintaining enough flex/rub room.
Old 08-15-22, 11:23 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
I checked and for the rear I can get up to a 28 in there with good flex clearance to spare. For the front, I feel like a 25 is about all I can muster while maintaining enough flex/rub room.
I run 28 rear and 25 front on a couple Tommasini's with Air forks, a Tecno and a Prestige.
Old 08-15-22, 11:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I'm on a Cervelo 54cm unit and I'm in an area with I'm sure not the worst roads, but not the greatest. After repairing two tubes today and then ditching the bike once I got back home for a big nasty Schwinn to finish some calorie burn, I noticed the big tires on the Schwinn. I has 700x38c tires. You could throw anything at them and you're not inducing a flat.

Pretty much, can I put some meatier tires on the Cervelo so I can leave my tire wedges and spare tubes at home... and work out and have less bs to think about ?

OR... is there a tire in 700c that can handle the beating? Gator Skins ?
Are you asking if a smaller wheel diameter (eg. 650b) would work, so that in turn you can fit wider tires?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-15-22, 12:00 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Michelin Power Protection Plus is also quite durable (bead-to-bead Kevlar) but much more pleasant than Gatorskins.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-15-22, 12:02 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Pinch flats are an inflation issue. Gatorskins are good. I run both Gatorskins and GP5000S. The GPs are definitely a nicer ride, but Gatorskins give better peace of mind.
Old 08-15-22, 01:28 PM
runnergoneridin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stevel610
Pinch flats are an inflation issue. Gatorskins are good. I run both Gatorskins and GP5000S. The GPs are definitely a nicer ride, but Gatorskins give better peace of mind.
Could under-inflation be more prone to pinching? Probably a dumb question lol
Likes For runnergoneridin:
Old 08-15-22, 01:42 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Could under-inflation be more prone to pinching? Probably a dumb question lol
Absolutely. If you're underinflated, you're much more likely to bottom out on a bump and pinch flat.
Old 08-15-22, 01:55 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Pretty much all standard road tires have a puncture protection layer of some sort; the GP5000, too. Only dedicated timetrial tires don't and you'd know if you were buying those, and possibly the cheapest tires don't because they're just cheap. Run tubeless with sealant, you will likely have no problems with flats, although not carrying any means to get your bike going if something happens is... not advisable. Not even on Gatorskins, Schwalbe Marathons and other really resistant tires.
Old 08-15-22, 03:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 3,261 Posts
If you are thinking of a new bike, then some if not many new road bikes are built to handle wider tires. And many gravel bikes are pretty much a road frame geometry with just provision for much wider tires.

However for the most part you are stuck with 700C or actually 622mm BSD tires and rims. There are exceptions, but few and far between and will likely cause you grief trying to find a good selection of tires and wheels when they are needed.

I personally would avoid anything claimed to be puncture resistant. Might be wrong, but I bet compared side to side with my tires their ride is crappy. People say they aren't, but I'm thinking they've never ridden better tires. Conversely, I admit I've never ridden Gator skins or Gator hardshell's.

Continental GP 5000 tubed version don't flat often for me and I usually wear them to the threads of the casing before they flat. Their ride is very comfortable. Much more so than the lesser priced Continental tires. However if you live where thorns are a problem, you got to do something. So maybe then go to puncture resistant tires, but probably I would try tubeless first.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-15-22, 03:41 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
I have 55mm wide 700C slick tires (Rene Herse Antelope Hill) on my touring bike. Mainly because I can fit them.

At some point, toe overlap might become an issue.

Most road bikes are going to limit you to about 38mm or thinner. If you need something wider, you can get 650b wheels, and they might (depending upon your frame) permit you to squeeze in about 5 or 6 mm wider tires.
Old 08-15-22, 03:45 PM
runnergoneridin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you are thinking of a new bike, then some if not many new road bikes are built to handle wider tires. And many gravel bikes are pretty much a road frame geometry with just provision for much wider tires.

However for the most part you are stuck with 700C or actually 622mm BSD tires and rims. There are exceptions, but few and far between and will likely cause you grief trying to find a good selection of tires and wheels when they are needed.

I personally would avoid anything claimed to be puncture resistant. Might be wrong, but I bet compared side to side with my tires their ride is crappy. People say they aren't, but I'm thinking they've never ridden better tires. Conversely, I admit I've never ridden Gator skins or Gator hardshell's.

Continental GP 5000 tubed version don't flat often for me and I usually wear them to the threads of the casing before they flat. Their ride is very comfortable. Much more so than the lesser priced Continental tires. However if you live where thorns are a problem, you got to do something. So maybe then go to puncture resistant tires, but probably I would try tubeless first.
Yes, I ride on mixed road textures. Grainy, sometimes smooth, choppy at transitions, bumps, debris (often)... not likely anything different from what everyone else deals with. But the road isn't smooth like a skate park. Tubeless tires require a specific wheel to accommodate, right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.