Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Greyhound

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Greyhound

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 06:45 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
You can check 2 packages on GH for free. One of mine was my bike.
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I'd give them a chance, but even when I contacted the company they insist that I need to use package express rather than check it as a checked bag. I know that when a friend went to the local terminal he got a huge run around and spent 20+ minutes convincing them to let him take his bike with him. He told a sad story about being 18 and stuck in a strange town, probably told them about how he was riding across the country to raise money for a charity (I forget which one), and generally laid on the sympathy thing. They finally relented just in time before he missed boarding his bus. Overall it was a big hassle.

A quick package express quote looks like $73 for JAX to Pensacola in addition to $54 for the fare for the ride. Interestingly I can get a one way rental for a Jetta or similar for slightly less. By the time I buy gas it will be a little more, but if I buy the bike box from Greyhound probably not. Also with the rental there is none of the hassle of boxing up a bike in a strange town (a task I don't mind at home but hate in a strange town on the road). With the rental car I can go when I want and make whatever stops I want. I can avoid packing the bike, eat lunch in a nice place, stop at some nice attractions if I feel like it, or just hurry back to the start point.

If I go the rental car route I'd probably drive my car to the start, park there, do the ride, drive back with a rental, and drive my car home.

If Greyhound service were better wrt checking bikes as baggage, I'd take the bus to the start and then take the bus home. I still could consider doing that using, but a using different shipper like shipbikes or bikeflights. They are a good bit cheaper than package express, but I'd have to involve a bike shop or warm showers host at each end and would have to get from the bus to where the bike was shipped. The thing is that I hate to reward Greyhound with my business when their policy seems to be refusal to take bikes as checked baggage and requiring you to officially jump through the package express hoops and pay the package express rates.

Greyhound Canada accepts bikes as an oversize checked bag (must be boxed or in a case). The charge is either $20, $25, or $30 depending on the distance (0-200 mi, 200-800 mi, or 800+ mi). They also sell boxes for $15, but I am not sure how widely available they are. I can see that as a reasonable policy and would happily pay that price. If they had that as a stated policy in the US and printed it out on their web page like they do in Canada so I could show it to the ticket agent, they'd get my business.

Greyhound US ought to look at doing what Greyhound Canada does wrt bikes if they'd like to get bike tourist's business.
All I can say is that they did everything right, and I couldn't ask for more. Coast to coast and not even a damaged box. The experience of others may vary.
Old 08-28-19, 07:05 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
You can check 2 packages on GH for free. One of mine was my bike.All I can say is that they did everything right, and I couldn't ask for more. Coast to coast and not even a damaged box. The experience of others may vary.
I am glad it worked for you and I know it also has for at least some others. I know that some others have been forced to either go with package express rates and rules. The thing is that my local terminal and an email to Greyhound both give the answer that you have to check a bike with their Package Express service. The US Greyhound web page seems to say as much too. Package Express rates and rules do not look at all favorable to me.

I'd be very happy with the result you got, but nothing that I can find from greyhound indicates they will do that. If I could find something from them that I could print out and have with me I might take the chance. Their web pages says you have to use package express as best I can tell. When I emailed them they said the same. My local ticket agent said the same, but on any given day who knows what the answer might be? Basically it seems like you may be able to get them to take it as a checked bag, but you are rolling the dice each time you show up at the terminal. I find the uncertainty especially annoying and unacceptable.

I am curious, was your bike a regular uncoupled bike in a cardboard box? Did they charge you for an oversized bag? If so how much?

All I can say is that they did everything right, and I couldn't ask for more. Coast to coast and not even a damaged box. The experience of others may vary.
I could definitely ask for at least one more thing... Making that a clearly stated policy so that you could count on it. It definitely isn't at the present time.

Last edited by staehpj1; 08-28-19 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-28-19, 08:07 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,807 Times in 1,053 Posts
In the USA Bolt bus and Flixbus have the best bike policies.
Originally Posted by jamawani
the bus was stopped in the middle of the night.
DEA agents pulled everything out from the baggage compartments.
Interesting. On my last airline flight, I had to strip down to my shorts and t-shirt and they made me turn my pockets out and went through everything. Then I had to go through a body scanner plus they swabbed my hands for explosives while x-raying my luggage.
Old 08-28-19, 09:41 PM
KraneXL

I am glad it worked for you and I know it also has for at least some others. I know that some others have been forced to either go with package express rates and rules. The thing is that my local terminal and an email to Greyhound both give the answer that you have to check a bike with their Package Express service. The US Greyhound web page seems to say as much too. Package Express rates and rules do not look at all favorable to me.

I'd be very happy with the result you got, but nothing that I can find from greyhound indicates they will do that. If I could find something from them that I could print out and have with me I might take the chance. Their web pages says you have to use package express as best I can tell. When I emailed them they said the same. My local ticket agent said the same, but on any given day who knows what the answer might be? Basically it seems like you may be able to get them to take it as a checked bag, but you are rolling the dice each time you show up at the terminal. I find the uncertainty especially annoying and unacceptable.

I am curious, was your bike a regular uncoupled bike in a cardboard box? Did they charge you for an oversized bag? If so how much?

I could definitely ask for at least one more thing... Making that a clearly stated policy so that you could count on it. It definitely isn't at the present time.
See above. I said it was free. Also, they charge by weight not size and even my hybrid was well below that limit. I packed mine in a recycled 'bike' box so all the warnings were already printed on all sides (their advantage). From what I understand you don't even need to pack your bike (I'd never risk it unpacked) as long as it will fit, underneath, you're good.
Old 08-29-19, 05:52 AM
staehpj1

See above. I said it was free. Also, they charge by weight not size and even my hybrid was well below that limit. I packed mine in a recycled 'bike' box so all the warnings were already printed on all sides (their advantage). From what I understand you don't even need to pack your bike (I'd never risk it unpacked) as long as it will fit, underneath, you're good.
I think you were pretty lucky.
  • Oversize (greater than 63" l+w+h) and overweight Greater than 50#) are both listed as factors, but with a 50# limit yes weight is not usually a problem for a normal bike in a cardboard box.
  • Greyhounds stated policy for over sized bags ("Max size 62 inches (157 cm) when you add together length + width + height") is that they go via Package Express. It is clearly stated on their webpage.
  • They do seem to contradict themselves later on the same page and sound like they allow bikes as checked baggage for an oversize item charge. "Bicycles, golf clubs, skis and ski poles must be packed in a wood, canvas or other substantial containers, and securely fastened (you’ll need to pay an oversized item charge too).
  • In that last statement they clearly state bikes need to be boxed, but it seems that like everything you never know what you will be told when you get to the terminal.
  • Package Express uses weight and longest dimension in calculating shipping charges. I checked using the price calculator and both affect the price.
Greyhound Canada has a nicely spelled out and reasonable sounding bike policy, but does have a fee ($20-25 depending on the distance). Greyhound US has a vaguely expressed online but from what I can find online and what they communicated to me via email (see email earlier in this thread) pretty unfriendly policy. The thing is that what you find when you actually get to a greyhound terminal can be pretty inconsistent if what I have observed and or have had related to me by friends and family is any indication.

Based on what I read on the Greyhound US website and what I was told when I emailed Greyhound US customer service, for my roughly 350 mile bus ride I'd pay $54 for the ticket and $73 to get my bike there via package express. That seems to be the official answer. It does sound like there is a chance that I might get there and be able to check my bike as baggage (possibly with a fee) with no problem. The problem is that there seems to be no way to guarantee that up front.

I am pretty sure the guy I rode with from San Diego to Pensacola tried to do that and was given a huge run around in Tallahassee when he tried to get on a bus south eastward to his home. I am not privy to what was said in advance, but I know he had called ahead about the ticket price and mentioned the bike. He did ultimately convince them to take the bike, but it sounds like it was touch and go and he was initially told he could not check it. I know that went round and round. It sounded like he got nowhere with onsite staff who were there and wound up getting someone on the phone who intervened for him. Not sure if he woke up the local manager or someone else. I never really heard the whole story and lost touch with him shortly after the trip.

My point is that I have not heard a lot that makes me have much faith in any consistent policy that will be followed that is favorable toward bikes as baggage. I might be willing to give it a shot when winging it at the end of a long tour where the end point wasn't planned. That way if they suck too bad I can decide to take it or move on and try to find another option. When I am planning ahead I expect to be able to count on them and I don't feel like I can unless I am counting on something like this $54 ticket and the $73 Package Express shipping (adjusted for the distance).

Last edited by staehpj1; 08-29-19 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 06:12 AM
tcs
Palmer

There are about 500 Comercial airports in the USA and about that number of Amtrak stations. Between Greyhound and Jefferson Lines alone some 4500 towns and cities are served by intercity bus, throughout the 48 states. Bolt Bus (a subsidiary of Greyhound!) has favorable policies for cycle tourists. Flixbus discovered in Europe that good bicycle policies make money, and they are bringing that service to America. The national bike touring organization, Adventure Cycling, headed a committee to improve Amtrak's bicycle service with good results. It's a shame that for whatever reasons they haven't put in a similar effort with American bus companies.
Old 08-29-19, 07:00 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by tcs
It's a shame that for whatever reasons they haven't put in a similar effort with American bus companies.
It really is a shame since they serve a lot of areas that are not served by any other form of public transit. They just go a lot more places, especially when you start looking at mostly rural areas dotted with smaller cities and towns. Places like the Great Plains, West Texas, and so on come to mind there may be other alternative to the bigger cities, but there are huge areas between them. There really is a large portion of the US that just isn't served by Amtrak, or airlines, or really any other form of public transportation besides buses, but does have a bus stop in a town somewhere not far away.

Regional buses funded by some municipalities can be awesome where they exist but they tend to be pretty limited in location to linking cities. In almost all cases I have seen they have bike racks on the front. Rack space is limited and may be a scarce commodity though.
Old 08-29-19, 08:45 AM
KraneXL

I think you were pretty lucky.
  • Oversize (greater than 63" l+w+h) and overweight Greater than 50#) are both listed as factors, but with a 50# limit yes weight is not usually a problem for a normal bike in a cardboard box.
  • Greyhounds stated policy for over sized bags ("Max size 62 inches (157 cm) when you add together length + width + height") is that they go via Package Express. It is clearly stated on their webpage.
  • They do seem to contradict themselves later on the same page and sound like they allow bikes as checked baggage for an oversize item charge. "Bicycles, golf clubs, skis and ski poles must be packed in a wood, canvas or other substantial containers, and securely fastened (you’ll need to pay an oversized item charge too).
  • In that last statement they clearly state bikes need to be boxed, but it seems that like everything you never know what you will be told when you get to the terminal.
  • Package Express uses weight and longest dimension in calculating shipping charges. I checked using the price calculator and both affect the price.
Greyhound Canada has a nicely spelled out and reasonable sounding bike policy, but does have a fee ($20-25 depending on the distance). Greyhound US has a vaguely expressed online but from what I can find online and what they communicated to me via email (see email earlier in this thread) pretty unfriendly policy. The thing is that what you find when you actually get to a greyhound terminal can be pretty inconsistent if what I have observed and or have had related to me by friends and family is any indication.

Based on what I read on the Greyhound US website and what I was told when I emailed Greyhound US customer service, for my roughly 350 mile bus ride I'd pay $54 for the ticket and $73 to get my bike there via package express. That seems to be the official answer. It does sound like there is a chance that I might get there and be able to check my bike as baggage (possibly with a fee) with no problem. The problem is that there seems to be no way to guarantee that up front.

I am pretty sure the guy I rode with from San Diego to Pensacola tried to do that and was given a huge run around in Tallahassee when he tried to get on a bus south eastward to his home. I am not privy to what was said in advance, but I know he had called ahead about the ticket price and mentioned the bike. He did ultimately convince them to take the bike, but it sounds like it was touch and go and he was initially told he could not check it. I know that went round and round. It sounded like he got nowhere with onsite staff who were there and wound up getting someone on the phone who intervened for him. Not sure if he woke up the local manager or someone else. I never really heard the whole story and lost touch with him shortly after the trip.

My point is that I have not heard a lot that makes me have much faith in any consistent policy that will be followed that is favorable toward bikes as baggage. I might be willing to give it a shot when winging it at the end of a long tour where the end point wasn't planned. That way if they suck too bad I can decide to take it or move on and try to find another option. When I am planning ahead I expect to be able to count on them and I don't feel like I can unless I am counting on something like this $54 ticket and the $73 Package Express shipping (adjusted for the distance).
Every rule and regulation require some amount of leeway. What if the box is 62 1/3 in., or is rounded and dimensions have to be estimated? Is it still kosher or do you automatically need to pay extra?

In any event, GH has major hubs and stations that are little more than a one man shop. The good new is once your pack is approved, its approved all the way.

As to the unboxed bike, I read that from one respondent on a website asking the same question you are now. However, he didn't specify whether he was going across the country or across the county.
Old 08-29-19, 09:27 AM
tcs
Palmer

... when you start looking at mostly rural areas dotted with smaller cities and towns. Places like the Great Plains, West Texas, and so on come to mind there may be other alternative to the bigger cities, but there are huge areas between them. There really is a large portion of the US that just isn't served by Amtrak, or airlines, or really any other form of public transportation besides buses, but does have a bus stop in a town somewhere not far away.
Places many touring cyclists like to tour!

FWIW I've had lovely Greyhound trips, comfortably seated on leather upholstery with included WiFi, with my !folding! (touring) bike stowed in the cargo hold.
Old 08-29-19, 09:33 AM
staehpj1

However, he didn't specify whether he was going across the country or across the county.
It never would have occurred to me to use Greyhound to go across the country.

On a similar note I have considered Amtrak, but quickly decided against it when pricing it and looking at the amount of time it took. Every time I have checked flying always was cheaper or at least competitive and much faster.

So since you mentioned it I did a quick check for travel from my home town to the west coast. I could fly Delta with one stop for $169. Their recent bicycle policy change means that the bike is just a regular checked bag, so it would be $30. Greyhound is $162 for a ticket leaving the same day and it takes 3 long days. Plus if the hit me for Package Express shipping charges that would be $84.

To be fair, prices may vary pretty widely for airfare so another time it might be more, even a good bit more, but three days on a bus vs a few hours on a plane is a big deal to me. I have flow with my bike a good bit and when going cross country will continue to do so. Well I have driven a couple times and may do that again sometime.
Old 08-29-19, 09:34 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by tcs
Places many touring cyclists like to tour!

FWIW I've had lovely Greyhound trips, comfortably seated on leather upholstery with included WiFi, with my !folding! (touring) bike stowed in the cargo hold.
One big advantage of a folding bike. I'd rather not tour on mine though.
Old 08-29-19, 11:37 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
There are about 500 Comercial airports in the USA and about that number of Amtrak stations. Between Greyhound and Jefferson Lines alone some 4500 towns and cities are served by intercity bus, throughout the 48 states. Bolt Bus (a subsidiary of Greyhound!) has favorable policies for cycle tourists. Flixbus discovered in Europe that good bicycle policies make money, and they are bringing that service to America. The national bike touring organization, Adventure Cycling, headed a committee to improve Amtrak's bicycle service with good results. It's a shame that for whatever reasons they haven't put in a similar effort with American bus companies.
+1 agree that further assistance with Greyhound or bus companies would be helpful given the large number of places. Also given Amtrak's ~500 stations it is a smaller number for other than folding bikes or bring on board solutions (i.e. w/o luggage service).

Places like the Great Plains, West Texas, and so on come to mind...
For what it is worth, from Austin I have several recent trips that fit the description of West Texas and Great Plains including an Amtrak component:

West Texas: In May 2018, I took Amtrak from Austin to El Paso and spent two weeks cycling back from El Paso. It would be even better if I could have used stops closer to Big Bend
West Texas: In December 2019, I have train tickets to Tuscon and returning from El Paso, enabling a winter ride through southern NM and AZ
Great Plains: In July 2018, I took a rental car from Austin to Abilene and then cycled back from Minot. I crossed a few rail lines where I could have done shorter trips, e.g. Kansas City or Omaha and a few more if I combined with car rental segments

Not in West Texas, I took advantage of different Amtrak line in August 2018: Amtrak to Texarkana,bicycle to Memphis, car rental to Little Rock and train back from Little Rock to Austin.

In future I could see taking advantage of Amtrak lines from San Antonio to Chicago, San Antonio to New Orleans and New Orleans to Chicago.

As far as Greyhound goes, in December 2018 I was taking a tour from Brownsville to Abilene using car rentals to get to endpoints. My bike broke down near Junction, TX. At that point, I took Greyhound from Junction to Austin - without my bike. I went back by car from Austin to retrieve the bike.

Last edited by mev; 08-29-19 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 05:35 PM
KraneXL

It never would have occurred to me to use Greyhound to go across the country.

On a similar note I have considered Amtrak, but quickly decided against it when pricing it and looking at the amount of time it took. Every time I have checked flying always was cheaper or at least competitive and much faster.

So since you mentioned it I did a quick check for travel from my home town to the west coast. I could fly Delta with one stop for $169. Their recent bicycle policy change means that the bike is just a regular checked bag, so it would be $30. Greyhound is $162 for a ticket leaving the same day and it takes 3 long days. Plus if the hit me for Package Express shipping charges that would be $84.

To be fair, prices may vary pretty widely for airfare so another time it might be more, even a good bit more, but three days on a bus vs a few hours on a plane is a big deal to me. I have flow with my bike a good bit and when going cross country will continue to do so. Well I have driven a couple times and may do that again sometime.
Now you see I don't mind the scenic route particularly when its not something that's done very often and I have the time. I really did need to see more of the U.S. and in that case even the 3 day bus trip seemed fast.

We were pretty much moving the whole time, and I was lucky enough to make nearly the entire trip (except for a couple of hours) with the seat to myself. Yes, flying is preferred by most, especially when you just want or need to get there right away.

Nevertheless, I love road trips and don't enjoy flying as much as I used to. You can get annoying passengers around you either way, but I didn't have any issues. I did leave my jacket bag at one of their rest stops when we changed buses, but that was a minor loss and flying is much worse with baggage. If the difference is only a few bucks then flying is definitely the way to go and a bargain.
Old 08-29-19, 08:42 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
What about a loop? Use a county bus here and there to get closer to the start, but just ride a loop. Grey Hound, yuck.

https://www.talgov.com/starmetro/sm-weekday.aspx

lot of county buses in the world.

I recall some nice dirt roads in the panhandle, rolling along humming a little tune.

I rode a bus out to the end of the line and pedaled on down the road from there a lot of times over the years.

Music from jacksonville

Last edited by chrisx; 08-29-19 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 05:18 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by chrisx
What about a loop? Use a county bus here and there to get closer to the start, but just ride a loop. Grey Hound, yuck.

https://www.talgov.com/starmetro/sm-weekday.aspx

lot of county buses in the world.
In the world yes. In the counties of the panhandle no.

As far as the link provided... Useful for getting around town, but it won't get you anywhere else. As I mentioned before, public transit here won't even get you to the airport. Given that the airport is about 7 miles from downtown, and Tallahassee is the state capital, not having public transportation to the airport is a disgrace IMO. So to be honest I haven't found the buses useful for biking. I can just ride from my house just fine and if I want to start anywhere far from town the busses don't go there.

I recall some nice dirt roads in the panhandle, rolling along humming a little tune.

I rode a bus out to the end of the line and pedaled on down the road from there a lot of times over the years.
Usually when I want to be on dirt or gravel I tend to choose trails. I am fortunate enough to be able to leave from my house and quickly be on trails that connect a series of parks. They offer choices ranging from singletrack to paved multiuse path and everything in between. I can also be on beautiful low to moderate traffic country roads pretty quickly with a little higher traffic at the beginning and end of the ride. No real need for busses in the mix.

When it comes to tours (as opposed to day rides) I am not inclined toward loop tours or shorter tours. My tours usually tend to be point to point and I consider Pensacola to Jax much shorter than I usually tend to do. I generally tend to do ~1000 miles or more. I did abort one tour at about the distance of the Florida tour, but it was a mixed on/off pavement tour and I was suffering from altitude sickness (HAPE) and forest fire smoke.

Just me but multi day riding loops around the panhandle just doesn't have much appeal. I tend to either want to keep it simple and do day rides to avoid the extra complexity of touring or to go all in and do a long (usually 1000 plus mile) tour. In most cases I want that tour to have a goal of reaching some distant point, failing that maybe circumnavigating something.

I think the reason I find the shorter tour interesting this time is twofold. First I see it as finishing the Southern Tier that I stopped in Pensacola back in 2012. And second, if I am to be honest, because I haven't been on the road for a while, am getting old (68), and need a trip to boost my confidence that I am still motivated enough to do this.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-01-19 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-31-19, 06:59 PM
chrisx

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I stopped in Pensacola back in 1012.
Older than I thought¿

When are you leaving?
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Last edited by chrisx; 08-31-19 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-31-19, 10:08 PM
brushspin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it needs to be dismantled at the station and will be put in the box then it will be shipped through Greyhound Package Express because we don't have a bike rack in front of the bus
So. They want you to disassemble the bike and then tell you it's impossible to put on the same bus because they don't have a bike rack?
Excuse me?!
Old 09-01-19, 04:22 AM
BobG

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Heh! Back in the '80s Trailways had a "$99 to anywhere" promotion. I had to get to the start of a Bikecentennial tour in Durango CO so that fit my budget perfectly!

I bought a ticket from northern NH to Grand Junction CO via Washington DC to visit my folks enroute. On the way out of DC in the dark wee hours of the morning the driver came on the PA and announced "If I smell any of that wacky tabacky I'm pulling over and you're off the bus!" That set the mood for the entire trip. It was 3 days of bag ladys, parents chattering with kids late into the night and pop bottles rolling around the floor of the bus after quick stops at rural convenience stores just long enough to grab a cheeseburger with frys. Then there was the late night driver that went careening through the CO mountains 15 mph above the limit scaring the poop out of me!

But I did arrive in Grand Junction CO in the promised 3 days for $99! I cycled from there down to Durango to meet the group.

In contrast our local "Concord Coach" (previously Trailways) now provides a clean civilized ride from here to Boston. They'll even let you throw the bike on without a box if it's not crowded underneath.
Old 09-01-19, 04:27 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by chrisx
Older than I thought¿

When are you leaving?
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
Yeah, a typo, not quite that old. 2012. I went back and edited that to fix it

I typically like mid Feb-March for the Southern Tier, but looking at the climate data for here in northern Florida and April looks ideal. There are usually nice temperatures and unlike much of the country it is usually the driest month of the year. So probably right around the first week of April.