Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Employment of team tactics in bunch races

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 03-03-20, 02:46 AM
kirilll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could not find it nowhere in the rules.
Can a team, say comprising of 4 racers, in bunch races on track employ team tactics i.e. leadout trains, blocking rivals and so on?
Old 03-03-20, 05:55 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kirilll
Could not find it nowhere in the rules.
Can a team, say comprising of 4 racers, in bunch races on track employ team tactics i.e. leadout trains, blocking rivals and so on?
I've been told in the past that's against the rules, and since have never questioned it...but I couldn't refer you to the exact rule to confirm it
Old 03-03-20, 06:45 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
It's against the rules: look for the rule that covers "collusion." It's written so broadly that one could argue that working in a breakaway with somebody else is against the rules.

Teamwork is banned so that one teammate can't drop back from the field to help another teammate lap up. I forget who, but somebody from GB was DQed for doing this at a fairly high-profile event maybe four years ago or so.

It's harder to enforce things like decisions not to chase a teammate. Even leadouts are hard to enforce. after some egregious stuff at a high level event one comm told me all they really looked for was deliberately slowing down in the lane to block while a teammate is off the front.

Last edited by queerpunk; 03-03-20 at 07:29 AM.
Likes For queerpunk:
Old 03-03-20, 07:13 AM
kirilll

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
It's against the rules: look for the rule that covers "collusion." It's written so broadly that one could argue that working in a breakaway with somebody else is against the rules.

Teamwork is banned so that one teammate can't drop back from the field to help another teammate lap up.

It's harder to enforce things like decisions not to chase a teammate. Even leadouts are hard to enforce. after some egregious stuff at a high level event one comm told me all they really looked for was deliberately slowing down in the lane to block while a teammate is off the front.
Thanks. Rule "3.2.002 Conduct of riders" thats what I've been looking for.
Old 03-03-20, 10:58 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I know teammates who got busted for collusion at Masters Nationals for making eye contact before chasing someone who broke off.

Collusion is one of those "You know it when you see it" types of infractions, but it's rarely called. It honestly should be called more often as it happens a lot, often in very obvious ways.
Old 03-03-20, 11:11 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Also, for those who may not be aware, track cycling generally is not a team sport like road cycling. With the exception of team events (Madison, Team Pursuit, Team Sprint) every event is essentially a solo event.