Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

55t chainrings and TT

Old 11-29-20, 01:19 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
55t chainrings and TT

So I am a ~40kph/hr TT guy - respectable, but nothing special. I run a 53/39 on my TT bike. I've had a couple of friends who are strongly suggesting that I consider putting a bigger chainring up front. I have never really paid this much attention but these guys have improved their speeds significantly (by around 1kph) and claim that the bigger chainring helps.

Other than the fact that this will let me use a bigger cog and so perhaps gain a watt or so in drivetrain efficiency, I am not really sure how this would make a difference (I have never spun out my 53t yet either). Watts are watts, and as long as I can get my desired wattage at a comfortable cadence (80-85c for TTs, for me), it shouldnt matter, right? Or am I missing something?

TIA.
Old 11-29-20, 09:50 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
I think it is more of an incremental gains discussion. I have seen many TTs where the spread on the podium is a couple of seconds. The 1 km/hr for increased efficiency due to less chain friction caused by bending a chain around a gear or misalignment seems high.

Having said that, I use a 54t and most of the time trial racers use larger chain rings. There have been courses with terrain features that make the larger chain ring useful in addition to keeping the chain off the smaller rear cogs. For a particular race, the goal would be size the front ring and the rear cassette to match up with a rear cog to reduce friction that works for most of the TT at the desired cadence.

At the track, pursuit riders and riders going for records use larger rear cog and much larger chain rings to reduce drive train losses.
Old 11-29-20, 06:52 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I'll summarize my opinions from cruising Slowtwitch and Timetrialling.uk:

1. Bend radius when keeping a good chain line and using a slightly larger cog in the back reduces losses.

2. Around here, you go downhill at some point. Bigger front ring, no spinout downhill. Confident even power downhill without bouncing on the saddle at 110rpm.

3. One more tooth up front means less than a tooth in the back. So take some of the bigger front rings with a grain of salt.

I'm on a 54T and 12-25. Works for most of what I roll. My cadence range comfort wise is about 85 to 105 for a TT. That gets me 14 to 37mph of range. A 56T would be 15 to 38.5. Not much difference.
Old 11-29-20, 07:21 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
This isn't a new discussion around here. It seems to usually drill down to 'ride what you got. I recall Kevin Metcalfe writing he won the national TT (masters) on a compact.

Last edited by gsteinb; 11-29-20 at 08:01 PM.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 11-29-20, 07:27 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Probably the biggest advantage of using a 55-tooth or larger chainring is that you'd mostly be on the sprockets closer to the middle of the cassette, where 1-tooth increments represent smaller percentage changes, making it easier for you to maintain your optimal power and cadence.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-01-20, 10:16 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Gotcha - thanks folks. That's pretty much what I had thought too - incremental gains. For medium-course triathlons, I am in the 34-35kph range and I think i would rather have lower gearing for climbs.

Will stick to what I have.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 12-04-20, 07:47 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Just go for the straight 11t block cassette.
Likes For kensuf:
Old 12-04-20, 11:43 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by kensuf
Just go for the straight 11t block cassette.
That'd be a Jens Voigt TT cassette. 11,11, 11, 11,11, 11, 11,11, 11, 11,12
Old 12-04-20, 07:55 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
This isn't a new discussion around here. It seems to usually drill down to 'ride what you got. I recall Kevin Metcalfe writing he won the national TT (masters) on a compact.
Yep. He's said repeatedly he rides a 50.

I don't understand it in the least.

I've been looking for a cheap dura ace 54 or 55 for my road bike for a while.
Old 12-04-20, 10:13 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
#repost

I'm picking my bike (Felt DA2) up from the shop tomorrow. New: bars (open-mold alibaba w/ stackable spacers), 15 degree tilt block adapters for extensions (AeroCoach), sram etap aero, and a new narrow/wide 1x 54t 110 bcd custom chainring (AeroCoach). So stoked... Given all the zwifting I've been doing, I suspect that nearly half of all outdoor rides will be on the TT bike for a while.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 12-05-20, 10:36 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
A couple of the Japanese National team riders in the sprints were using a 60 tooth, at least I think it was a 60 tooth.
Old 12-06-20, 05:26 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
#repost

I'm picking my bike (Felt DA2) up from the shop tomorrow. New: bars (open-mold alibaba w/ stackable spacers), 15 degree tilt block adapters for extensions (AeroCoach), sram etap aero, and a new narrow/wide 1x 54t 110 bcd custom chainring (AeroCoach). So stoked... Given all the zwifting I've been doing, I suspect that nearly half of all outdoor rides will be on the TT bike for a while.
Just put my DA back together, a little more conventional though. This sounds like a very cool setup & like the 1X idea.
Likes For Voodoo76:
Old 12-07-20, 11:37 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
#repost

I've been eyeing those open-mold stackable tt bars for a while. I've come very close to buying a couple of times now, but then I remember that my TT bike has been on the wall for the last 2.5 years, so what's the point?! But then I think I'd have to start riding it more to justify buying new bars...ehhhh, so much back and forth.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 12-07-20, 02:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yeah the TT stuff can be a bit of a money and time sink. It is neat though. Is there a local series nearby for you rubiksoval ???
Old 12-08-20, 08:37 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
So I am a ~40kph/hr TT guy - respectable, but nothing special. I run a 53/39 on my TT bike. I've had a couple of friends who are strongly suggesting that I consider putting a bigger chainring up front. I have never really paid this much attention but these guys have improved their speeds significantly (by around 1kph) and claim that the bigger chainring helps.

Other than the fact that this will let me use a bigger cog and so perhaps gain a watt or so in drivetrain efficiency, I am not really sure how this would make a difference (I have never spun out my 53t yet either). Watts are watts, and as long as I can get my desired wattage at a comfortable cadence (80-85c for TTs, for me), it shouldnt matter, right? Or am I missing something?

TIA.
It is a thing. The juniors do it a lot. If the course is flat they will put spacers where cogs were and run 1-3 cogs on back.
It is one of those small things, but if you TT a lot there will be some race where <1sec determines a place.
It is marginal gain area alone, but psycologically it might be 5-10 sec - esp for a kid. Grown ups know too much and loose that advantage.
Why...
Chain angle - run big to middle - 15T-17T. The side plates of the chain rub less under tension because of the straight pull. This may be the biggest thing. I don't know the watts here, but it is something. Of course the chain matters too.
Chain tension is less, so there is less chain stay flex. This was a bigger deal in the old days, but frames are pretty stiff now.
Get rid of extra cogs as mentioned above.
Something to talk about.

Last edited by Doge; 12-09-20 at 11:10 PM.
Likes For Doge:
Old 12-09-20, 07:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

If that guy was doing the 50T front ring on flat roads, sure. If you pedal at 100rpm, a 50/13 combo at 100rpm is like 30mph. That works fine.

Issue is hilly routes. Going downhill you might go over 40mph which ain't happening on a 50T. Often riding around here the rolling hills I'll hit 45mph downhill on the TT bike. 54/11 combo and spinning out.

Not being able to put out power during that at all is time lost.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 12-09-20, 10:11 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Sweet!

I am still riding a 2013 Shiv with Zipp Vuka aerobars - gotta say, I am very tempted by the Tririg aerobars. The ability to easily swap between a more aggressive position for TTs and an slightly less aggressive position for tris appeals to me a lot - and I suspect I will find it easier to get lower with angled bars. I have set a target for myself for 70.3s - if i break that, I will just get a new bike.
Old 12-09-20, 10:14 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Issue is hilly routes. Going downhill you might go over 40mph which ain't happening on a 50T. Often riding around here the rolling hills I'll hit 45mph downhill on the TT bike. 54/11 combo and spinning out.
How much faster would you go if you were pedaling?

The hilly courses around these parts have winding turns, so I have very rarely been able to get speeds beyond 35-36mph. So this is purely academic - but if i am only going to gain a little bit by pedaling on a downhill, it may be better to go harder on the climbs and recover on the downhill, no?
Old 12-09-20, 11:10 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts

The hilly courses around these parts have winding turns, so I have very rarely been able to get speeds beyond 35-36mph. So this is purely academic - but if i am only going to gain a little bit by pedaling on a downhill, it may be better to go harder on the climbs and recover on the downhill, no?
IMO, the course dictates how to apply power effectively. One of my favorite time trial courses is Santiago Canyon in Orange County, CA. It is 12.4 miles starting with a climb of about 3 miles and then a staircase descent. It is not an out and back course. Once you finish, you ride back to the start which is not easy per se.

I have done it on a road bike with a 50/11 and a time trial bike with a 54/11. I am faster on the TT bike and spin out the 54/11 on the descent so I could use a 56/11. One might think that the climb would favor a road bike but that is not the case. What happens is that the staircase decent offers very fast descending followed by flattish racing so I carry a lot of speed into a flat section and there is an opportunity to apply power and maintain higher speed longer with a larger gear and then get into a optimized front rear combination. If there is an opportunity for “recovery” on the descents, it is sweet spot. And most of us have shot a lot of bullets on the climb already.

I think courses like that make time trialing an art form as well as the ability to apply physics to optimize time.

My ideal combination today would be a 56/44 chainring setup versus the 54/44 I am currently running.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 12-09-20, 12:09 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Sweet!

I am still riding a 2013 Shiv with Zipp Vuka aerobars - gotta say, I am very tempted by the Tririg aerobars. The ability to easily swap between a more aggressive position for TTs and an slightly less aggressive position for tris appeals to me a lot - and I suspect I will find it easier to get lower with angled bars. I have set a target for myself for 70.3s - if i break that, I will just get a new bike.
Nice. I have a teammate in road and TTT that is on a (2016?) Shiv with the tririg bars. He loves 'em.
Old 12-09-20, 01:15 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

That makes sense. These are rollers I can slam on down.

I looked up one area I ride the TT bike a lot and created a 10mi TT out/back for future use. Not even at full power for 1/2 mile I averaged 37mph with 1/4mi at 40mph.

The thing about it is if you "save" the power down a grade due to insufficient gearing........the way your power duration curve works.....you're not going to be able to "add" back much power over the rest of the ride.

Mind you I'm not slamming down the hill at 100% target power. You might do 80% down the hill and then 110% up the hill (up takes longer). Just random numbers there. Don't put anything into me choosing those, just example.

Also..........the faster you can descend, the more you "flatten" the hills or rollers after it.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 12-09-20, 11:30 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Or slower. The whole junior gear restriction (which I hate and see as completely unfair) taught us a lot. One is that it matters and is a disadvantage, the other is that pedaling is not always faster esp in the higher speeds on a decent.
I have a hunch that may even transfer to adults (on decents) doing 40+. The churn can be significant and sometimes a tuck and tight knees conserving may end up in a total faster time.
We saw better results in that 40mph-55mph pedaling up to speed and coasting. Certaining on junior gears, but also on unrestricted gears. Yes, at 40mph plus, you go faster pedalig than coasting - but barely and at a significant effort that you might want to instead use to recover.
Likes For Doge:
Old 12-10-20, 08:47 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I think I should clarify here..........we don't have mountains in Raleigh. If you get up to your mountain descent speed, or really really long hill...........sure.

But here, the key is carrying speed up and over the next tiny little roller. There isn't enough time to reach a terminal velocity of any meaningful value before already reaching the rise of the next little tiny hill.

So, you stand to gain a LOT by flattening out the rolling hill instead of getting a 10 second "rest". If you can rest for several minutes due to a descent, I could see what you're talking about coming into play more than where I live.