Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Help with 1st Touring Bike Purchase

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 08:55 AM
StephD99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a trip to Montreal --> Prince Edward County planned for the summer and am looking at purchasing a proper touring bike. Right now I only have a fixed gear bike and that isn't what I want to bike 800km on!

My budget is $1,000 so looking at 2nd hand. On Kijiji I found these two bikes, have read reviews of both, but would like experienced bikers thoughts.

I haven't seen the bikes yet, going to visit them Thursday and Friday respectively.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
(ads are in French, but brand, year, and some component info in there that should be understandable by non French speakers)

2006 Kona Sutra: Vélos cyclo-toureur (touring) Kona Sutra | de route | Ville de Montréal | Kijiji

Unknown Year Giant OCR: Giant OCR touring / cyclocross with disc brakes - 54cm | de route | Ville de Montréal | Kijiji
Old 03-30-16, 09:04 AM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Both bikes are suitable for long tours. The more important question is, are they appropriately sized for your riding comfort. If so, then enjoy the trip!
Old 03-30-16, 09:17 AM
Marc40a

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Surly ECR, Serotta CSI

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For $1000, you may be able to buy new. You could afford a Fuji Touring, Jamis Aurora, Novara, or even possibly Surly Long Haul Trucker on closeout.

The advantage to buying new would be a getting a proper set-up plus some maintenance support (Usually 3-6 months (possibly more) included from a good shop) while you break-in and fine-tune your bike.

Any savings you have from going used can quickly be eaten up by unexpected maintenance. Those cables, the chain, cassette, etc.. certainly aren't going to be in new condition. An overdue chain and worn out cassette can set you back well over a hundred, quickly.

Last edited by Marc40a; 03-30-16 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 10:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
$700USD for that Kona seems steep. Its 10 year old components. Could(and probably) runs well still, but unless its been overhauled recently, a lot of the consumables on that bike are nearing the end of their life(cables, tires, tape, etc). So thats more money.

Is your budget $1000CN or USD? I would assume CN since you are up there, just confirming.
Old 03-30-16, 10:47 AM
StephD99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Is your budget $1000CN or USD? I would assume CN since you are up there, just confirming.
Good point for clarification... it's $1,000 CDN which is, right now, sadly, about $770 USD. I called around to local shops, and the 2016 Surly LHT is going for $1,800 CDN, and they don't have any my size from previous years. That's just not the kind of money I have to spend right now.

Ahh, I'll keep looking around. I agree, a new purchase would be ideal, for the reasons stated.
Old 03-30-16, 11:14 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does that $1000 CDN include everything or just a starting point for the bike itself? Racks, panniers and such add up. Some spend almost that much on the racks & panniers alone.

I picked up my '88 Voyageur recently for a good price, less than half of what you're wanting to spend. But as marc40a mentioned little things add up. I added front and rear racks, 4 panniers, 2 other bags, fenders, new pedals, a new saddle, a double legged kickstand, and so far have well over double what I bought the bike for in add-ons. Still adding on new bar tape, chainrings, and maybe more ergo brake levers. By the time I am done accessorizing I'll have triple the original buy price into just accessories (and the bike was perfectly fine when I bought it BTW, nothing needed replaced)! Mind you I did buy all high-end stuff and cheaper options are available, I just want to do it right the first time and not worry about not have spending a little more to get somethig better hundreds of miles from home. So just don't forget to factor in some of these other costs too.
Old 03-30-16, 12:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by StephD99
Good point for clarification... it's $1,000 CDN which is, right now, sadly, about $770 USD. I called around to local shops, and the 2016 Surly LHT is going for $1,800 CDN, and they don't have any my size from previous years. That's just not the kind of money I have to spend right now.

Ahh, I'll keep looking around. I agree, a new purchase would be ideal, for the reasons stated.
I dont own a bike that is more than $770 and I consider them to be of excellent quality. I bought them of craigslist, ebay, or here as complete bikes or frames and adjusted what I wanted. Buying used and customizing can be a really good deal if you know what you want and make sure everything works together before buying.

I only mention this because you are on the right track with the 2 bikes you listed. Sure, they may be too much for what I would want to pay, but really- an extra $100 or whatever is a drop in the bucket if you get something you like and it fits, even if that $100 is 15% more than what some random internet posters think the bike is worth. To buy new what those bikes have would be another $500CN at least, most likely, so relative to that the used options are a deal!

Its all about perspective.

Really though, whichever fits best is better. They have similar enough components that fit and condition are most important. If you need to replace a bunch of components, the bike isnt nearly as great a deal.

With both bikes- be aware that the lowest gearing isnt all that low. Its basically 1-1 on both bikes. With the cranksets on each bike, you probably cant go smaller. Buying a new crankset would improve the gearing, though that would be $100CN or so. You could look into making the cassette bigger so there is a wider range of cogs, thats pretty easy to determine with some basic math once you know the formula.
Old 03-30-16, 12:19 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Fuji Touring 58cm - $1000 (115 Ave du Mont Royal ouest)

https://montreal.craigslist.ca/bid/5484052996.html
Old 03-30-16, 12:24 PM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
Fuji Touring 58cm - $1000 (115 Ave du Mont Royal ouest)

Fuji Touring 58cm
OP's two bikes are 54cm, so unless he's guessing, I'd say this one is out.
Old 03-30-16, 02:04 PM
StephD99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
Does that $1000 CDN include everything or just a starting point for the bike itself? Racks, panniers and such add up. Some spend almost that much on the racks & panniers alone.
$1,000 is just for bike. The trip is in late summer, but I'd like the bike now so I can ride it and also, it's getting dangerous to commute to work with my 2.5 year old son in a front bike seat (!!), so I need a new bike that can have read mounted seat as an option, to just drop him off to daycare. I'll get panniers, racks, etc.. as the summer goes on. Ideally 2nd hand, and not top quality, just something that works and I can upgrade as life goes on.

Originally Posted by mantelclock
Ya.. it would be way too big for me!

Last edited by StephD99; 03-30-16 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 02:07 PM
StephD99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont own a bike that is more than $770 and I consider them to be of excellent quality. I bought them of craigslist, ebay, or here as complete bikes or frames and adjusted what I wanted. Buying used and customizing can be a really good deal if you know what you want and make sure everything works together before buying.
I would buy new and customize is I had a ton of cash, so ya, ideally spend $1,000 on the bike and if need be a few hundred on upgrades and repairs and I'll hopefully still be ahead.

Called a shop today in Montreal though, and they have a new Fuji Touring from last year, my size at $1,000 so might check that out too.
Old 03-30-16, 10:16 PM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consider a new or lightly used hybrid bike, or old rigid fork mountain bike for the job. You'll be getting a frame and drivetrain of similar utility, and Only sacrificing drop handlebars, for cheap.
Old 03-30-16, 10:25 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by mantelclock
oops, my mistake. you know 'merkans and geography!
i wasn't aware montreal was at the north pole!
Old 03-31-16, 05:25 AM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
i wasn't aware montreal was at the north pole!
Yeah, just about half way there.
Old 04-04-16, 02:59 PM
StephD99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick update, and thanks for everyone's input.

Saw the Kona Sutra...horrible condition, and no, parts were not changed in 11 years. The guy had zero interest in negotiating, he was firm on his $900, which was strange. Wished him luck in his sale.

Giant OCR: It was listed as 54cm, but when I got there, it looked giant (pun sort-of intended). I check the frame and it was 58cm! Why or how he misread that, I do not know.

I might go for a custom build from a local Montreal shop that make their own frames. Will be *slightly* over the budget, but not by much, and it will be brand new and exactly what I want.
Old 04-04-16, 07:54 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
If you can stretch that budget $100- 150 more, you can get a new Trek 520. They list for around $1,300, but when I purchased mine, my LBS sold it to me for a little more than $1,100 in December 2015. I love the bike and highly recommend it. It comes with a rear rack (savings). I have been using mine for commuting, but I haven't toured yet on it. My January tour was cancelled since my ride home support (wife) had to cancel her trip to where I was going.
Old 04-05-16, 07:29 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might also check out the Masi touring bicycle. Photos and on paper looks a lot like the Trek 520.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of these different brands are built in the same factories.
Old 04-05-16, 07:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by StephD99
I might go for a custom build from a local Montreal shop that make their own frames. Will be *slightly* over the budget, but not by much, and it will be brand new and exactly what I want.
You can get a complete bike with a custom built frame for slightly over $1,000? Please tell us who makes these frames. Some of us might be interested.
Old 04-05-16, 07:49 AM
StephD99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You can get a complete bike with a custom built frame for slightly over $1,000? Please tell us who makes these frames. Some of us might be interested.
Yes! A great shop in Montreal called C&L cycle. They make their own frames, and have one called "The Montreal" made of alloy steel.
I am new to touring, so not sure if it's the best of the best, but the quote sheet I got had pretty decent components, and came to, without taxes, $1100 (that's canadian $$, so like $800 USD)

I am asking for an upgrade on the chain and re-derailleur though, so price might go up.

if I could attach the PDF quote sheet, I would, just to get people's thoughts as well.

Last edited by StephD99; 04-05-16 at 07:52 AM. Reason: typo