Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bars with Good Multiple Hand Positions?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 04-22-16, 12:18 PM
lightspree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Long days of riding seem much better with good multiple hand positions, and upper body positions. I was wondering what people here have seen, thought of, tried, or come up with.

Last edited by lightspree; 04-22-16 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 12:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Trekking Figure 8 bend bars [& MTB control Levers, R'off grip shifter] ..
Old 04-22-16, 12:52 PM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lightspree
Long days of riding seem much better with good multiple hand positions, and upper body positions. I was wondering what people here have seen, thought of, tried, or come up with.
Started with standard drops. Tried trekking bars and woodchippers. Threw them out and went back to drops. Drops give me multiple hand positions for all day riding, but ultimately, it is an individual decision. I'm sure the crowd here has tried every kind of bar made, and will swear by their ultimate choice. You won't know what works or doesn't work for you until you've tried a bunch.
Old 04-22-16, 01:01 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
drop bars and trekking bars are the best 2 I've tried. For drops, I'm partial to the nitto randonneurs.
Old 04-22-16, 01:18 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Some people carried this experiment to a seemingly logical end a century ago, resulting in bicycles very similar to the modern recumbent bicycle. However in this forum we must reinvent the wheel every few days.

About the best you can do with an upright bike is a drop bar, or a mtb 5 deg straight bar with barends. Gloves, ergo grips, extra top bar padding, ibuprofen may help.

Butterflys are popular with folks who have a mtb frame but want the shorter reach of a road frame. There's mustache/North Road/Albatross etc etc. Rivendell, Velo Orange and Soma sell/make quite a few alternative handlebars designed to accommodate std road or mtb componentry (23.8mm or 22.2mm, respectively). You can spend a lot of money and time evaluating these different setups and end up right where you started. There's only so much you can do to redistribute the load on your shoulders/elbows/wrists/hands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_handlebar

A few years back when you could buy an Ice trike frameset for 1300USD, I thought this would be a good alternative:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Anne Dussert 2011 (141).jpg (99.8 KB, 370 views)
Old 04-22-16, 01:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Trekking bar is really versatile and the best thing it has going is that MTB components can fit on it so if you are moving from a flat bar MTB/hybrid, its an easy swap.

I have nitto randonneur drop bars which flare out a few degrees on the drops and rise upwards from the stem to the ramps. They are fine, but narrow. I cant tell any difference riding on the tops or on the ramps between the rise on them and a regular drop bar. whats great about them is there are long ramps, and a full C bend.

I just received a VeloOrange Grand Cru Course drop bar. Havent used it yet, but i think itll be great. It flares only a few degrees to the drops, and is a full C bend with long ramps.

A full bend, a few degrees of flare on the drops, and long ramps since I like to ride on the ramps and hoods. Thats my favorite type of bar.

Check out VeloOrange, Soma, and Salsa for multiple types of bars.
Old 04-22-16, 01:30 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have seen these (butterfly bars) but have never tried them:

Last edited by dim; 04-22-16 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 02:08 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
I have seen these (butterfly bars) but have never tried them:

Mine are almost identical. I am not convinced that the number of positions is either larger or that it matters while riding. HOWEVER butterfly handlebars are such that brakes/shifters and ergonomic grips are close to one another and this makes a big difference for me -- with rapid fire shifters, maintaining cadence is much easier.
Old 04-22-16, 02:24 PM
Colannon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i tried butterfly bars and 3-speed bars, and i prefer drop bars. the good thing about drop bars is the location of the brakes. the brakes on 3-speed and butterfly are unnatural; moving your hands is more natural on drop bars. a lateral movement or a horizontal movement is weird. moving your hands down or away is not weird. body weight away or down with gravity is good.
Old 04-22-16, 02:33 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
^^ +1 Another drop bar fan. The brakes are easy to get to in a panic from most of the positions (and 4 that are all day comfortable).

Ben
Old 04-22-16, 02:51 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Basically a lot of hand positions is not the only thing you want, you want a lot of good hand positions. Drops are the winner because the ergo position is the palm vertical not horizontal position. I find from the hoods down I only have a few positions, but from the hoods up there are many. Altogether it amounts to the best positions.

Also, unless you are building custom, drops add extension to your position which is good for your breathing, but on a bike with a fixed top tube length, and a relatively fixed stem length, it can be a mater of the bars you choose dictating reach, so that is a factor.

The term "drop" is unfortunate because you can pretty much set bar height as you wish. But a lot of people are scared off the bars by pictures of time trial riders.
Old 04-22-16, 03:53 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by mantelclock
Started with standard drops. Tried trekking bars and woodchippers. Threw them out and went back to drops. Drops give me multiple hand positions for all day riding, but ultimately, it is an individual decision. I'm sure the crowd here has tried every kind of bar made, and will swear by their ultimate choice. You won't know what works or doesn't work for you until you've tried a bunch.
Agree.

The part I like the best is being able to use the drops to push into the wind better. I have the tops of the bars about a half inch below the top of my saddle, but I think mos people have them the same height.

A friend of mine uses the ones I think are called bull horns, but I could never use those as I want the ability to change the angle of lean in my lower back. I have Interrupter type brake levers on my drop bars so I can use the brakes from the tops, from the hoods, or from the forward part of the drops.

If you look at this web site, you will see a ton of photos of what most people use. Loaded Touring Bicycles - On Tour Photo Gallery by The Loaded Touring Bike Photo Gallery at pbase.com
Old 04-22-16, 04:06 PM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

If you look at this web site, you will see a ton of photos of what most people use. Loaded Touring Bicycles - On Tour Photo Gallery by The Loaded Touring Bike Photo Gallery at pbase.com

There's also this website: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/..._id=8000&v=4Kr as well as the sticky at the top of this forum.
Old 04-22-16, 06:15 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
if you have mtb or hybrid bars you can still use dropbar-like bars by adding this type of bar end.

Origin8 Pro-pulsion Road Ends - Drop Bar Bar Ends - £24.99

Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike | Page 27 | CycleChat Cycling Forum

Cheers
Old 04-22-16, 06:16 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
My latest iteration are trekking/aero bars. A few different hand positions and the ability to rest on the forearms.

Attached Images
PB061003.jpg (102.0 KB, 389 views)
PB061001.jpg (83.9 KB, 392 views)
PB061006.jpg (105.5 KB, 406 views)

Last edited by Happy Feet; 04-22-16 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 10:03 PM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Drops work well. Upside-down touring handlebars (like you might see on a cruiser), with tape instead of grips, can work surprisingly well.

These ones intrigue me, again, using tape:

Looks like you get two great positions: at the ends, wide and swept towards you. In the crooks, tight and away.
Attached Images
HB1010.jpg (10.9 KB, 340 views)
20160205_111207_b.jpg (100.9 KB, 365 views)
Old 04-23-16, 04:40 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
Some people carried this experiment to a seemingly logical end a century ago, resulting in bicycles very similar to the modern recumbent bicycle. However in this forum we must reinvent the wheel every few days.
Recumbent trikes are nice and all if all you want to do is go forward efficiently. But they are also really boring. One of the reasons I like upright bicycles is the feeling of flying on ground (with leaning in corners and all that). You don't really get that on a trike and if you're not careful the whole thing'll just tip over in a decent descent corner.
Sure there are two wheeled bents but I'd still likely have a lot of confidence issues with them (like what do you do when you fall?) and you'd absolutely have to rely on mirrors.

The upright bicycle is just handy when you get everything settled and comfortable. And your back wont get itchy
Old 04-23-16, 09:24 AM
jbphilly

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got some Jones Loop H-bars and so far, so good. I'd previously ridden on a Titec knockoff version of the same concept, but the Jones is a lot better.
Old 04-23-16, 01:32 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
+1 on the Jones Loop bars. Just finished a short 4 day tour on pavement and gravel, flats and hills. Marvelous.
Old 04-24-16, 07:28 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
lightspree, Multiple good hand positions may depend on what style of handle bar you've used the most in the past. In N. America and England it seems that the drop bar is more common on touring bikes and road bikes in general. In Europe, flat bars and trekking bars look to be favored on the touring / trekking bikes. Trekking bars (butterfly, figure 8) are becoming more popular outside of Europe, perhaps because of BMX riders and mountain bike riders starting to tour. I'm happy with four main areas of a drop bar, but concede the trekking bars have more possible positions.

Then there are the variations such as short drop or flared drop bars and different style grips and bar ends for flat bars, not to mention differing widths and so on. My distance roadie has aero bars, so that can also be a consideration. Find a handle bar that addresses the shortcomings of your current bars, without losing the aspects you like...and good luck.

Brad
Old 04-24-16, 07:42 AM
RISKDR1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I use the butterfly's on my VO Passhunter with a twist

Originally Posted by gauvins
Mine are almost identical. I am not convinced that the number of positions is either larger or that it matters while riding. HOWEVER butterfly handlebars are such that brakes/shifters and ergonomic grips are close to one another and this makes a big difference for me -- with rapid fire shifters, maintaining cadence is much easier.
I have reversed them with the open part to the front along with the controls. I found that the controls were too close the other way (as illustrated above) and seemed to make me ride too upright. With the controls more forward my body is more like drops and in that position my hands are right at the controls. I also added aero bars and that gives me yet another position that is very restful and takes the pressure off my hands and shoulders when I need that in addition to the aerodynamic benefits.
Old 04-24-16, 07:45 AM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have drop bars + Airstryke aerobars on my bikes. The armrests flip up when not in use, giving another hand position.
Old 04-24-16, 02:08 PM
marlowe

Bikes: Surly Disc LHT, Surly Ogre, Schwinn LeTour, Specialized Rock Hopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 sets of Jones H-Bars. One on Surly DT and another on a Surly Ogre. I trekked to South Dakota last June and did not suffer from any numbness on arms, fingers, hands. Bottom end maybe. There are plenty of hand positions available unless you have lots of accessories attached. You can see from my pic the junk that one can attach. I had a Spotme on the left side that day for some reason but it most certainly didn't stay there for the whole trip. So for the most part my hands were either near the end of the bars or slid in closer to the shifters. And I used the middle cross bar also. It has the padded green Vet Wrap. I suspect you can place you hands way out on the outer forward bar also. I never did. So lots of hand positions available. Love my Jones Bars. Somewhat expensive.

I love the pic of the bike in the middle of the road. I was between Geraldine, MT and Square Butte, MT. I stopped to get a pic and grab a bite to eat and decided to take a pic of the bike laying in the middle of the road. Well it was 30 minutes later and still laying there when I decided to get going and honestly it was another 25 minutes before a vehicle came be. Gotta love Montana.

Marlowe
Great Falls, MT.

link to my trek last year.

Attached Images
Middle or Road2.jpg (100.9 KB, 379 views)
Middle of road.jpg (100.7 KB, 368 views)
Old 04-25-16, 07:52 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I was on my phone when I posted in agreement with the Jones bar. Thought I would post a pic. I find that most of my riding with the Jones bar is with my hands on the foremost part of the bar.

Attached Images
IMAG0156 3.jpg (95.9 KB, 379 views)
Old 04-25-16, 08:16 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I've found with Trekking bars the secret is to use a long stem (110mm) so the controls are in front of the steerer axis, and also to angle them down to the front, so when you are on the front position you are down and more aero, and the angle of your back changes. Tilted back they don't change much in terms of body ergonomics between the two horizontal hand positions because they are both in the arm arc i.e. the shoulder and back doesn't move so the weight is on the same muscles. Plus it's a weird angle on the side sections when out of the saddle and climbing. for $25 a pair they are worth a try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.