Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Swap wide tire to rear?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Swap wide tire to rear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 08:40 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 99 Posts
Swap wide tire to rear?

This winter I had SMP's on my commuter, 32mm front, 28mm rear, - they just happened to be what I had in the garage (from a tour in goat-head deserts a few years ago)... Worked fine for a bit more extra grip on wet leaves, light snow etc. The tread on them is still almost as good as new, so that's not an issue.

I'm moving these wheels over to my touring bike, as this summer I'll only be doing weekend tours, and don't want to buy new Hardshells yet (save that for a longer tour)...

So do you guys reckon it's worth swapping the tires round to 28mm front, 32mm rear? I have all my gear on the rear rack (two panniers and tent, light but not UL)

To be honest I'm just trying to justify not bothering and need a bit of peer-confirmation! cheers!
Old 04-27-16, 08:46 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Since more weight will be on the rear than front, will the 28mm cause pinch flats where the 32mm would not?
Old 04-27-16, 08:53 AM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
I'm moving these wheels over to my touring bike, as this summer I'll only be doing weekend tours, and don't want to buy new Hardshells yet (save that for a longer tour)...
Shouldn't make a difference which you put on the front or rear. They're both pretty close in width. Either way, you'll make it through the summer and then some. I assume you'll be riding primarily on pavement.
Old 04-27-16, 08:56 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Originally Posted by mantelclock
...I assume you'll be riding primarily on pavement.
Yes, a few gravel paths as well so I can tell myself I have better grip with the 32 on the front, lol! Nothing I wouldn't happily ride with two 28's either.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Since more weight will be on the rear than front, will the 28mm cause pinch flats where the 32mm would not?
I usually tour on 28's pumped hard (7 bar) so no worries there

whoops, two "beer smileys" in a row... isn't it friday soon?
Old 04-27-16, 09:39 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Personally I would take the 15 minutes and switch the larger tire to the rear (assuming both tires are of similar condition). That way I would be riding downhill even on a flat surface ? ? In theory, all things being equal, maybe less wear and tear on your rear wheel and possibly less flats with the larger tire. In reality, probably won't make a difference so take that 15 minutes that you're determined to save and do something worthwhile with it.
Old 04-27-16, 11:43 AM
imi
aka Timi

Swap wide tire to rear?

I will heed your advice Robow and swap the tires.

My work has been incredibly stressfull the last couple of weeks, which I think explains my out-of-character resistance to such a simple task.

Thanks guys for chatting with me 'bout this. Somehow needed that too.
Old 04-27-16, 12:37 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
I will heed your advice Robow and swap the tires.

My work has been incredibly stressfull the last couple of weeks, which I think explains my out-of-character resistance to such a simple task.

Thanks guys for chatting with me 'bout this. Somehow needed that too.
Perhaps working on the bike will be less stressful
Old 04-27-16, 12:48 PM
imi
aka Timi

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Perhaps working on the bike will be less stressful
Yeah, it's not been "time-stress", just intense, so I'll change the tires and maybe do an overnighter at the weekend. Nights are still cold here, it'll be down to about 39 F, so double sleeping bags
Old 04-27-16, 01:10 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
ya, if it were me I'd put the wider on the back, might as well make it a little easier on the rear rim. I too have ridden 28s on all kinds of surfaces, the only problem was being on a rail trail with lots and lots of rain, and the trail got very soft so wider tires in general would have been a big help, but then not riding on that weekend would have been a better idea.....
Old 04-27-16, 02:36 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I think that having the larger tire on the back would fit my sense of order better, but our son who was a pretty good CX racer does it a little differently. He ran a 35 mm on front and a 32 mm on the rear. They were both tubeless and could be ridden at relatively low tire pressures. He maintains that setup handled mud and sandy course sections better.
Old 04-27-16, 02:59 PM
imi
aka Timi

Swap wide tire to rear?

^^^ That makes sense, and is the same reasoning I had for having the wider tire on the front for better traction in wet slippery autumn/winter conditions.

Hopefully it'll be a dry and sunny summer this year here (sweden)... Last summer got rained out
Old 04-27-16, 03:20 PM
djb

the "more secure" front end view of things certainly fits in all the years of my two wheeled experience. For pushing it going fast, having a sharp front end has always been my preference, I can live with the rear stepping out here and there, even on a motorcycle on pavement, but I figured for what you want to do, in regular riding on reasonable surfaces, wider on rear would be good too---but as you say, if you end up on more loose, wet stuff, you can always switch it back.
Wider and lower pressure front on loose surfaces will give you a more secure front end, thats for sure, so I guess you can judge what sort of riding conditions you are dealing with and go from there.

re pressures, its amazing how much relatively small pressure changes make a dfference in cornering feel, even with 28s. I use 28s all the time and its quite apparent how about 10psi less or so gives the tire more grip and suspension effect mid corner, and giving a lot more confidence in the front end.
Old 04-27-16, 03:32 PM
imi
aka Timi

I had Conti GP 4 Seasons 28mm on all last (wet) summer. They certainly were better cornering on wet asphalt than regular Gatorskins which are my go-to dry summer tires.
Am I right in that if it rains on asphalt after a spell of hot weather that the asphalt is extra slippery then, or is that just my imagination?
Old 04-27-16, 05:46 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
I think you're correct about the gators, many feel that the more flat resistant tires with the extra tough belts and for sure those that have more rigid flat resistant sidewalls won't corner as well as softer more supple tires. Hence why racers give up flat resistance and durability for increased speed and better cornering.
Old 04-27-16, 06:06 PM
djb

Originally Posted by imi
I had Conti GP 4 Seasons 28mm on all last (wet) summer. They certainly were better cornering on wet asphalt than regular Gatorskins which are my go-to dry summer tires.
Am I right in that if it rains on asphalt after a spell of hot weather that the asphalt is extra slippery then, or is that just my imagination?
oh yes. Here what happens is that the oils and such in the asphalt tend to come out when it first rains, after heavy rain, it washes away, but at first it can be quite slippey and catch you out. I recall with some rain going around a 90 degree corner in a small car and doing a little handbrake cheekily to get the rear out a titch....the oils made it more than a titch and around I went and thankfully only around part way, and didnt really go anywhere, but did feel pretty stupid. I've also noticed it with wheelspin with motorcycles.
Old 04-28-16, 01:50 AM
imi
aka Timi

Swap wide tire to rear?

Thanks for explaining that djb
Old 04-28-16, 08:54 AM
djb

No problem, wasn't a good explanation but at the start of a rain, you sometimes even see the little rainbow effect in the water from the oil that has dripped out of cars and whatnot, and risen up.