Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Keep track of a cycling trip on an online map

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-14-17, 02:54 AM
t4ng

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there,

I started a cycle touring trip across the South Island of New Zealand. This was planned for a few month, and as most of my friends and family are not familiar at all with this place (I live in France...), I'd like to publish a map on my blog detailing my trip, and how I travelled.

I've been looking for a web tool enabling me to show my itinerary on a map, distinguishing for each step the travel mode I use (as I need sometimes to take a bus, a boat or hitchhike).

The closest thing I've found is Google My Maps, but it still doesn't really fit my needs : I have to distinguish each trip by a new layer, and can't put 2 different transport modes in one single layer. No solutions either for a boat cruise. Then I can end up with 3 or 4 layers for a single day.

I'm pretty new to this kind of travel, so I wondered if this question came to mind of any experienced cycle tourer ? May be some of you found a solution ?

Thanks !

Last edited by t4ng; 01-14-17 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-14-17, 03:20 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Have you tried Strava?
Old 01-14-17, 04:16 AM
t4ng

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for replying Machka
Just had a look at it, but it seems oriented to track performance, or designing routes, based on cycling or running, rather than what I'm looking for. Nothing seems to allow me to reference a lake crossing by boat, for example.
But may be I missed something ?
Old 01-14-17, 04:40 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I just recently signed up myself so I'm not sure how Strava would handle the ferry portion of a cycling trip. But I do know it produces a map of where I've either walked or cycled when I ask it to record my trip.

I've never used it to design a route ... I use Ride with GPS for that.
Old 01-14-17, 08:27 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 50 Posts
If you have a smartphone, check out www.trackmytour.com . It is an app that lets you enter waypoints while you are riding and then creates a map showing your route. If you make these maps public and send a link to your family and friends, then they can see your current location and the track you've ridden.

The app is free and the first one or two maps are free, as well. I've used it for years and highly recommend it. Here's an example of my most recent tour in Southern Italy: TrackMyTour: Southern Italy
Old 01-14-17, 08:55 AM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could use a map (e.g. Google map) but add routing information by hand with a drawing tool to distinguish modes of travel with different colors. Red = bike, Blue = boat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2017-01-14_9-51-23.jpg (99.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 01-14-17, 07:48 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
If you have a smartphone, check out TrackMyTour: Travel Blogging for iPhone and iPad . It is an app that lets you enter waypoints while you are riding and then creates a map showing your route. If you make these maps public and send a link to your family and friends, then they can see your current location and the track you've ridden.

The app is free and the first one or two maps are free, as well. I've used it for years and highly recommend it. Here's an example of my most recent tour in Southern Italy: TrackMyTour: Southern Italy
I was going to suggest Track My Tour as well! It is a great little app that does exactly what it says.

HOWEVER
, and it's a big however, the app itself is ONLY for iPhones and iPads. (and iPod touch if you go that route, which is how I did it when I used it.) They have no plans to make an android or other app. So if you don't have an iPhone/Pad/etc, you would have to be able to update the track via the website.
Old 01-14-17, 08:14 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use Triiptrack.org to record some of my rides and hikes. Although it doesn't explicitly divide the trip into segments based on travel mode, it does give a slideshow of pictures taken and highlights each location on the map. If you were to take a picture at each mode change (i.e. a picture of the bus or boat just before you board it) that would make it clear to your viewers and also give them an idea of the sights along the way.
Old 01-14-17, 08:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts
I suspect that folks may be less interested in the route than in the interesting places you've been and what you saw. So, when you get someplace noteworthy, snap a photo, add some text to describe it, and send it off to your friends, or post it on a blog.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-15-17, 12:44 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure if it's ideal for you, but you could probably use QGIS cloud, set your paths to display by type and have images displayed via point/exif location data on mouseover. You'll probably have to edit the tables of the files you're using (.gpx, .kml, .shp etc.) a little but it should be pretty straightforward. If you don't mind writing any code most of the workflow could be automated once you get a good idea of how you want everything to run.

Last edited by manapua_man; 01-15-17 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-15-17, 01:50 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Interesting question.

Have you looked at "The Traveler"? It is an Android app that looks like what you are looking for. Allows to share itinerary and annotations/pics/clips. (as per Lonely Planet's post on Best apps to share your trip)
Old 01-15-17, 02:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
The annual Race-tour across the US has a (GPS) Transponder on each bike. Their system seems to work .
Old 01-15-17, 02:47 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t4ng
Hi there,

I started a cycle touring trip across the South Island of New Zealand. This was planned for a few month, and as most of my friends and family are not familiar at all with this place (I live in France...), I'd like to publish a map on my blog detailing my trip, and how I travelled.

I've been looking for a web tool enabling me to show my itinerary on a map, distinguishing for each step the travel mode I use (as I need sometimes to take a bus, a boat or hitchhike).

The closest thing I've found is Google My Maps, but it still doesn't really fit my needs : I have to distinguish each trip by a new layer, and can't put 2 different transport modes in one single layer. No solutions either for a boat cruise. Then I can end up with 3 or 4 layers for a single day.

I'm pretty new to this kind of travel, so I wondered if this question came to mind of any experienced cycle tourer ? May be some of you found a solution ?

Thanks !
Check out TravellersPoint. This is the link to my page and a screenshot of it.

https://secure.travellerspoint.com/m...fm?user=Ty0604

Old 01-15-17, 03:38 PM
NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You can have multiple route lines in multiple colors on the Google-API-based maps on crazyguyonabike. You plot the routes either point by point or by uploading a GPX, TCX or FIT file. If you do it manually, then there is snap-to-road which makes the route follow the nearest road between your points (or, you can disable that if it's off-road and just do the point to point yourself). There's an option to show Google's bicycling layer, and you can go full-screen if you like while editing or viewing. You can make annotated icons of different types, and there's the ability to draw arbitrary shapes on the map (circles, polygons etc). There are elevation profiles, with cumulative gain and loss. It's certainly not perfect (for example, no cue sheets at the moment), and it's probably not as sophisticated as what some of the larger development shops have put together, but it was home-grown by one person (me) and does the job in a basic sort of way. The maps can be embedded in-line in the different areas of the website, just like pics. Couple of examples:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...page_id=492100

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...page_id=486873

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...pic_id=2892945

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...pic_id=2892056

More details here:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/website/help/#maps

Neil
Old 01-15-17, 08:20 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
simple process.......chart your route on goggle maps.
use your daily stops as the waypoints, they will appear
as text on the map.

copy-n-paste to "paint", and some arrows and text.
save as .jpg (defaults to .png)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
guangxi route.jpg (95.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 01-15-17, 11:38 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
If you have a smartphone, check out TrackMyTour: Travel Blogging for iPhone and iPad .
Thank you for posting this. I've been looking for something that allows live tracking but this seems to be the next best thing, plus you don't have to let your cellphone constantly track thus making battery consumption minimal.