Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A frightening look inside of a BMC Road Machine RM01

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A frightening look inside of a BMC Road Machine RM01

Old 12-13-17, 06:22 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Scholarship and quality are not comparable. If you read up on the definition of quality, you will find that I am correct. A Chevy that meets its specs is higher quality than a Beemer that doesn’t. That is just the nature of the beast. Common lingo usage is often very different from real meaning.

What you are actually saying is that there is only one right specification, the highest one imaginable. If you meet that spec, then you have high quality. If not, then you don’t. That isn’t how quality works. Every level of a product range can exhibit high quality if it delivers what it promises.
That's not what I was saying at all.

If all a product offers is crap, even if it's 100% crap 100% of the time, it's still crap. If you think 100% crap is higher quality than a flawed masterpiece, you should be interested in a deed for the Brooklyn Bridge I have to sell you; it's perfectly valid, and you'd have to say it's quality is impeccable. I, however, would not say it's quality was very high.

If something meets a spec, it's not high quality, it simply has that quality. In the sense of an attribute, the notion of a quality exists independently of standards, but yes, the establishment of a standard is what determines the extent to which something has it or not, and standards are either dependent on context or essentially arbitrary.

What you describe as "the way quality works" pertains when one is comparing things that are supposed to be similar. For instance, "tall" is a quality in the sense of being an attribute, for which standards are typically contextual, e.g., a hill is not tall if it only measures nine feet, but if a man measures only eight feet, he is VERY tall. The same holds true for things that are somewhat, but not entirely similar, and standards are arbitrary. For example, if all Huffy bikes met their spec all the time and all Argonaut bikes met their spec all the time, it would be unreasonable to say they were therefore of equally high quality, simply because there is the notion of an ideal bike, a sort of over-standard beyond the arbitrary specifications that the manufacturers set for themselves. Both makers set standards above garbage, and both set attainable standards, but they didn't set them at the same point, and it is the point at which they set their standards that determines whether one is higher quality than the other when they both meet their own specs as you describe.
Old 12-13-17, 06:51 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
When I see a video like this one, it makes me even more smug about my titanium and steel bikes.
+1 my thoughts exactly. I only have 1 CF bike and hope Cervelo has better fabrication. I was also considering a BMC and was told they do not warranty the frames which is why my LBS stopped selling them.
Old 12-13-17, 08:37 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
If anyone in this thread is looking to unload their BMC frame for cheap let me know.
Old 12-13-17, 09:47 AM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar

Risking going off topic, I'm also interested in how common this is:

Does Shimano go to thin with the walls to make it as light as possible, or is it just a (rare) manufacturing defect.
That MTBer probably crashed off a cliff, landed on the pedal, and it broke.
So probably not Shimano going too thin, and probably not a manufacturer defect at all.

But it sure is fun to speculate...
Old 12-13-17, 09:50 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
+1 my thoughts exactly. I only have 1 CF bike and hope Cervelo has better fabrication. I was also considering a BMC and was told they do not warranty the frames which is why my LBS stopped selling them.
I'm in the exact same boat. I was looking at a BMC a couple of years ago and the LBS told me they only warrant their frames for 5 years. Cerverlo warrants theirs for the lifetime of the original owner. That was one of the reasons I got an R3.

Edit: I would speculate that if someone cut open an R3 it would look pretty similar to the BMC.

Last edited by MidTNBrad; 12-13-17 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-13-17, 10:29 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I thought, watching the video,

that there is no functional benefit to the fancy tube shapes.
Old 12-13-17, 10:58 AM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Was this frame ever verified to be a factory original frame or a copy?
Old 12-13-17, 11:55 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
That's not what I was saying at all.

If all a product offers is crap, even if it's 100% crap 100% of the time, it's still crap. If you think 100% crap is higher quality than a flawed masterpiece, you should be interested in a deed for the Brooklyn Bridge I have to sell you; it's perfectly valid, and you'd have to say it's quality is impeccable. I, however, would not say it's quality was very high.

If something meets a spec, it's not high quality, it simply has that quality. In the sense of an attribute, the notion of a quality exists independently of standards, but yes, the establishment of a standard is what determines the extent to which something has it or not, and standards are either dependent on context or essentially arbitrary.

What you describe as "the way quality works" pertains when one is comparing things that are supposed to be similar. For instance, "tall" is a quality in the sense of being an attribute, for which standards are typically contextual, e.g., a hill is not tall if it only measures nine feet, but if a man measures only eight feet, he is VERY tall. The same holds true for things that are somewhat, but not entirely similar, and standards are arbitrary. For example, if all Huffy bikes met their spec all the time and all Argonaut bikes met their spec all the time, it would be unreasonable to say they were therefore of equally high quality, simply because there is the notion of an ideal bike, a sort of over-standard beyond the arbitrary specifications that the manufacturers set for themselves. Both makers set standards above garbage, and both set attainable standards, but they didn't set them at the same point, and it is the point at which they set their standards that determines whether one is higher quality than the other when they both meet their own specs as you describe.
You must have had different quality training than I did.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-13-17, 12:49 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
For disclosure I did not watch the video, but I did read a number of posts here.

This is a professional frame. Regardless of wrinkles or voids, it was designed to be ridden by a pro in races and not to be ridden by a person who wants it to last forever. And this is exactly what I tell customers. If you want uber light pro stuff, it's like a racing engine (light components to go fast, not to last forever). It's designed to be ridden hard for a short period of time. If you are gentle, you can get many years of riding pleasure out of it...same with wheels and the groupset. What you saw on the inside really does not matter.

I do not think any of us have seen a BMC frame fail in a race, or heard about such occurring. But understand, you go through a lot of stuff as a professional. You guys want stuff to last. I tell this to customers, and suggest if longevity is their goal buy something less expensive that will last. Add a few grams and add fun. Save money.

My point is when people understand the goal is not longevity (lifetime warranty...yours or the frame's?...and your usage of such) then all this becomes a bit less important. If BMC loses a frame or it gets too flexy for a pro rider they get another one.

Again...this is something I explain to a customer if they are looking at a pro bike.

Your mileage may vary.
Excellent insight. It reminded me of motorcycles, and how high-performance bikes cost an arm and a leg to maintain. The fact the out the door cost didn't seem much higher made them seem attractive at first to a lot of folks, but once they realized how often they'd be bringing them back in for valve adjustments and such, and how much all THAT would cost, they thought again.

It's all about priorities.
Old 12-13-17, 12:54 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
I was looking at a BMC a couple of years ago and the LBS told me they only warrant their frames for 5 years. Cerverlo warrants theirs for the lifetime of the original owner. That was one of the reasons I got an R3.
When I bought my first carbon frame in 2006 I chose a Cannondale over a Bianchi for that same reason: Cannondale offered a lifetime warranty, whereas Bianchi only offered a 5 year warranty.

But I later found out that this discrepancy had more to do with European liability laws than the manufacturer's confidence in their product. At that time (and perhaps still?) no European frame manufacturer offered a >5 year warranty.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 12-13-17, 01:43 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4339 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Framing it like that you wrote the conclusion too. We know that driving around with only three of five wheel lugs installed is dangerous. Do we know that a sloppy inside to a frame is dangerous? Do we know it makes the safety margin smaller? This thread is full of dire analogies and impressive credentials, but no "a sloppy inside makes the frame unsafe to ride". Note I said "unsafe" not "has less of a safety margin than otherwise, meaning it would only take an abusive 400lb rider to destroy it instead of an abusive 500lb rider".

Without resorting to analogy or declaration, does anyone know that that frame was unsafe to ride? I'm not asking for speculation that it might have been more likely than a different bike to fail under arbitrary abuse; was it dangerous to ride? BMC sold a lot of bikes and I haven't heard horror stories about them failing any more than any other brand, so I'm inclined to believe they're fine.
A better question is whether the manufacturer has any idea whether that great a departure from the design is safe or not. They likely have no method for modeling that kind 3D variance with any accuracy, so the whole frame becomes a big roll of the dice.

The statistics of failure rates are pretty immaterial if you are in the hospital after your seat sheared on hard bump. Quality control is not an engineering variable that can be controlled for other than by paying insurance premiums.
Old 12-13-17, 02:28 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Quality control is not an engineering variable that can be controlled for other than by paying insurance premiums.
Say what? Quality control is a tangible process. You can buy as much or as little as you want.
Old 12-13-17, 02:48 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A better question is whether the manufacturer has any idea whether that great a departure from the design is safe or not.
Is what was shown in the video a departure from the design?
What if you cut up another of the same frame, would it look different?
Old 12-13-17, 03:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
A few comments, even though this is deep into the thread.

- The BMC frame looks significantly worse inside than a Cannondale frame and a Giant Defy I saw in person. The section where the top tube and head tube join looks like my 1st grader built it.

- I have 0 idea if the inside at all affects performance or reliability. If it doesnt, then it just isnt important.

- The fact that other frames are able to be much cleaner inside shows its possible and if the bikes cost comparable amounts, then comparable quality is expected.

- I find it deliciously ironic that the OP has made unsubstantiated claims about quality and declared unknowns to be known at various points in the thread, all while hedging that he hasnt.

Carry on with the Engineering speak.
Old 12-13-17, 03:11 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by memebag
Say what? Quality control is a tangible process. You can buy as much or as little as you want.
Sure, but when you 'buy' lower QC you are choosing less control. Less control is essentially random results.

Originally Posted by pvillemasher
Is what was shown in the video a departure from the design?
What if you cut up another of the same frame, would it look different?
I don't see how you could produce those kinds of internal voids consistently. Can you? That one area looks like a sectioned snail shell.
Old 12-13-17, 03:33 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
The guy in the video has probably a dozen frame cut-up videos. Go watch 'em. You can clearly the see the differences in production quality...well, some of you won't know you're seeing differences in production quality (some of you have no idea what quality even is), but that's what it looks like.

If a carbon fiber expert cutting up a variety of frames in the same way from different manufacturers and explaining to you what you're seeing doesn't substantiate the notion of production quality differences, then you really have a problem with understanding. If your only critique of his process and findings is that you've never heard of the guy, that really says more about your shortcomings than his.

As a favor to everyone in this thread, I'm offering custom bike paint jobs at a real great price. Just send me your bare frame and I'll paint it for $100. Any Krylon color you want! It's gonna look like crap, but it'll be to spec, i.e. covered in paint, so real high quality. I probably won't miss a spot, I promise!
Old 12-13-17, 05:43 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
If a carbon fiber expert cutting up a variety of frames in the same way from different manufacturers and explaining to you what you're seeing doesn't substantiate the notion of production quality differences, then you really have a problem with understanding.
Alternatively, we just don't believe everything we see on the internet.

I'm willing to learn. I don't know how many miles that bike has on it. I don't know if it's been in a crash. I don't know if the void was there when it came from the factory or developed later. I don't know if the wrinkles matter. I don't know if the inconsistent wall thicknesses are by design, or if they matter.

If someone can answer those questions then I will know if this video means anything. Until then I remain skeptical.

Last edited by memebag; 12-13-17 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-13-17, 05:47 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sure, but when you 'buy' lower QC you are choosing less control. Less control is essentially random results.
Right. But that isn't what you said. You said quality control couldn't be controlled, and all a manufacturer can do is buy insurance.
Old 12-13-17, 06:30 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by memebag
Right. But that isn't what you said. You said quality control couldn't be controlled, and all a manufacturer can do is buy insurance.
And you're not understanding what I mean:

Lowering QC is not like increasing a tolerance - you aren't settling on a known decrease in layup compression, for instance. You are settling for an increase in random flaws of unknown impact.

So you can control your level of QC in terms of increasing it, but you can't control how lower quality manifests in the product.

Another way of looking at this: If you can't control every process, you can't have expectations of quality for those uncontrolled processes. Not having any expectations, you can just buy insurance and hope the number of failures is low enough to not affect your bottom line.

To my eyes, the seat cluster looks like the tooling design does not effectively match the frame design, and the layup ends up a random mess of unconnected layers.

Last edited by Kontact; 12-13-17 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-13-17, 06:56 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
From the video, I can see why they don't.
Old 12-13-17, 07:44 PM
95RPM

Bikes: TST, Anvil, Eisentraut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The workmanship I was talking about in my post above. I used to be a laminator making very light off-shore racing sailboats. We did such good work that we used almost no sand paper and no power tools to clean up our work. (The final layup got one hand swipe of 36 grit sandpaper to get the tiny glass hairs that if not sanded, become very sharp splinters after the final paint. The edges of each layer were left entirely visible and got two swipes. We took real pride in doing good work that always be visible.

Rather unrelated except not entirely - I go to see a TiCycles steel fork that had been cut up for a forensics study. So I got to see the braze at the top of the fork crown at the fork blade end. The braze had a perfect radius like it was machined except that until the blade was sawn in half, tools and human eyes had never seen it. (And the finish was matte; ie raw braze, not a polished machined surface.) My point? High quality and good looking work can be done in places that can not be seen but it does take skill and care.

If I am going to trust my life to a two pound frame of plastic as I go 50 mph down a mountain road, I want work that looks like it is up to the job. Yes, I know well from my fiberglass experience that you can do good looking work with fatal flaws but on the poor quality work, you cannot even look for those flaws.

Ben
What kind of forks do you use? What do you trust? It is hard to find a good metal fork, and carbon forks have that same trust issue as the frame.
Old 12-13-17, 08:09 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
And you're not understanding what I mean:

Lowering QC is not like increasing a tolerance - you aren't settling on a known decrease in layup compression, for instance. You are settling for an increase in random flaws of unknown impact.

So you can control your level of QC in terms of increasing it, but you can't control how lower quality manifests in the product.

Another way of looking at this: If you can't control every process, you can't have expectations of quality for those uncontrolled processes. Not having any expectations, you can just buy insurance and hope the number of failures is low enough to not affect your bottom line.

To my eyes, the seat cluster looks like the tooling design does not effectively match the frame design, and the layup ends up a random mess of unconnected layers.
I do hope you're getting through to someone! I honestly cannot believe this understanding is over people's heads...
Old 12-13-17, 09:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You could cut the Cervelo open and find out. How's it ride?
Old 12-13-17, 09:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
[QUOTE=95RPM;20051467]What kind of forks do you use? What do you trust? It is hard to find a good metal fork, and carbon forks have that same trust issue as the frame.[/QUOTE

Steel. Two 531, two unknown (but probably 531) and a mid-range ~'83 Trek. Trek has a good record with steel forks, three of my 531 or maybe are custom and the last is a 531 Raleigh. I did not trust the workmanship on the Raleigh so I had the paint stripped and inspected carefully by a good frame builder.

Steel forks may not be sitting in every shop but in the US there must be several hundred framebuilders who can crank out exactly what you want for not much more than a high end carbon fork. (And you get to choose the type, crown, geometry, braze-ons and paint or chrome. And it will be compatible with your favorite headset. Threadless or quill. Any carbon forks offer so many choices?

I will never own a carbon fork. I've had a non-steel fork do the sudden/no warning fail and it cost me a lot. Knowingly chancing that again when I have a choice? Nah. (And carbon steerers? Wrong material for the job. Yes it is strong enough in ideal conditions and much lighter. But in the real world, stuff happens. Makes no sense to me to not use a material as perfect and idiot proof reliable as steel. (Though I would consider titanium as part of a well made and engineered titanium fork. I loved the ride and feel of the aluminum fork that cost me so much. I think the right titanium fork could get close to that feel and keep the reliability of steel.

Ben
Old 12-13-17, 10:11 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You could cut the Cervelo open and find out. How's it ride?
It rides great. Im pretty sure it will not last longer then my columbus frames from the 80s but its the best short term for riding fast. I will be sad when it cracks from an accident that would only scratch paint on a metal frame.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.