Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road bike gearing?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road bike gearing?

Old 06-27-21, 06:05 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
However slow I ride I've never been overtaken by someone walking their bike up a hill.
I have on the dirt. Once by a couple runners on a long, steep grade. I actually stayed with them until the top then the fastest one said "see ya" because there was a descent.
Another time I was on a steep trail with switchbacks and there was a fireman who was quite strong. He was cutting the switchbacks some but he was carrying gear, radio, etc. When the grade got less severe I was finally able to get ahead of him.
I have found on a steep climb a bike becomes more of a liability as it gets steeper. We were thrashing through some brush in the hills once and hikers said something about being impressed by us. I told them we would be going faster if we didn't have the stupid bikes with us.
Old 06-27-21, 06:21 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I have on the dirt. Once by a couple runners on a long, steep grade. I actually stayed with them until the top then the fastest one said "see ya" because there was a descent.
Another time I was on a steep trail with switchbacks and there was a fireman who was quite strong. He was cutting the switchbacks some but he was carrying gear, radio, etc. When the grade got less severe I was finally able to get ahead of him.
I have found on a steep climb a bike becomes more of a liability as it gets steeper. We were thrashing through some brush in the hills once and hikers said something about being impressed by us. I told them we would be going faster if we didn't have the stupid bikes with us.
I did say "by someone walking their bike up a hill" not someone walking/running without a bike. For sure there are steep pitches where having a bike is a liability, but IME you always get to the top faster if you don't have to get off and push it. I'm talking on-road too with this being the road cycling sub-forum.
Old 06-27-21, 07:17 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
I did say "by someone walking their bike up a hill" not someone walking/running without a bike. For sure there are steep pitches where having a bike is a liability, but IME you always get to the top faster if you don't have to get off and push it. I'm talking on-road too with this being the road cycling sub-forum.
Of course. I just like throwing out a self-deprecating anecdote now and then.
Old 06-28-21, 12:21 AM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
However slow I ride I've never been overtaken by someone walking their bike up a hill.
Point is, for those walking, riding is no more an option, that is why they walk.

That is, unless they are like me, I ride solo and sometimes I hardly see any car traffic at all, so on some big hill, I ride till I feel it being reasonable, then walk the bike at brisk pace for a minute or two, then ride again for a bit before dismounting again. Brisk walk uphill is surprisingly good exercising too I found.

Actually I can mash it up quite some steep hills but I don't like long hills that are steep enough to stiffen your legs eventually. But if there is some audience and I don't want to be ashamed, I ride up those hills too that otherwise I would partly walk at other times.
Old 06-28-21, 01:56 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
Point is, for those walking, riding is no more an option, that is why they walk.
This is true, but with lower gearing there is less chance you will get to that point where you are forced to walk.

I was climbing a very steep pitch recently in a group and the guy in front was a little stronger than me and was slowly pulling away. Then it got even steeper and he literally stalled and had to get off and walk. I rode slowly past him on my 34/34 and I was also down to a minimal standing cadence on my limit. I don’t know what gearing he had, but odds on it would be higher than mine. But my point is that I stayed on the bike with the low gear and went faster than the guy walking. It probably looked like one of those slow bicycle races!
Likes For PeteHski: