Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'll say it... I like Gatorskins

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-24-21, 08:33 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

not a racer but a recreational rider, I find I really appreciate Continental Gatorskins (28mm with 60-85psi front/back). The ride is plenty grippy for my needs and the tires seem to last quite a while.

Haven't gotten a flat while riding (though did find an embedded wire while at home that flatted when I pulled it out)

Yes I know there are those that say they ride like garden hoses. I don't get it, I'm just glad that I found a quality tire for my needs.
Likes For Symox:
Old 08-24-21, 09:02 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I also like them.

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 08-24-21, 09:30 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Best to be comfortable with your equipment. Go with what you like.
Likes For Joearch:
Old 08-24-21, 09:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Frozen garden hose, to be clear.

Ride whatever works for you. They are clearly a popular option.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-24-21, 10:02 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
They are my winter go to tires, the rest of the year I ride GP5000. Both tires do the job I want them to do.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 08-24-21, 10:28 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Ride whatever works for you. They are clearly a popular option.
ha ha ha ha
yes, that is the term I see.
I just don't get it, but maybe I haven't tried enough tires to see why these are so terrible for some.
Old 08-24-21, 10:41 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
For recreational riding, commuting and general stuff, they're absolutely fine. Nothing wrong with them. They do the job, especially in 28mm guise.

If you're after outright speed when bombing along at threshold power though, there's certainly far superior choices. A decent tyre could save you 10+ watts over the Gatorskins, which is significant.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 08-24-21, 11:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
ha ha ha ha
yes, that is the term I see.
I just don't get it, but maybe I haven't tried enough tires to see why these are so terrible for some.
Then don't. Tires that are preferred by the people who say uncharitable things about Gatorskins (I'm one of those people and I'll be happy to go off if you want some entertainment) are more prone to flatting. You said one of the reasons you like your tires is they don't do that. So, don't drop $80 a tire for supple, fast race tires with tissue paper sidewalls. You may or may not notice or appreciate the difference in how they ride, and they won't last as long. You're happy now and at a good $ value. It ain't broke, don't fix it.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-25-21, 05:23 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,817 Times in 2,976 Posts
Anyone considering a faster, nicer riding alternative to Gatorskins should take a look at the newer Pirelli Cinturato Velos. They offer even better puncture resistance too and you can run them tubed or tubeless as you like.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-25-21, 05:54 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Frozen garden hose filled with lead shot.

Actually my wife has them in 28mm on her Ruby and they seem like decent tires, and not all that much heavier or less lively than my Specialized Turbo Pros.
Likes For redcon1:
Old 08-25-21, 06:43 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
I bought a pair (in 32mm no less) for my Peugeot PX10, to ride in Cino this coming weekend. Figured the application was appropriate. Never owned/ridden them before, so I'll reserve judgement until after the event.

Last edited by johnnyace; 08-25-21 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-25-21, 07:05 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by johnnyace
I bought a pair (in 32mm no less) for my Peugeot PX10, to ride in Cino this coming weekend. Figured the application was appropriate. Never owned/ridden them before, so I'll reserve judgement until after the event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHXxy6CTM40
Do those 32 mm actually fit your frame?
Old 08-25-21, 07:09 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Do those 32 mm actually fit your frame?
Yes. That's the great thing about these old French bikes with Mafac Racer centerpull brakes; they can take some big tires, no problem.
Old 08-25-21, 07:53 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Someone keeps buying then. Someone also kees buying Whoppers.

For anyone who wants a very flat-resistant tire that’s better, I’ll recommend the Michelin Power Protection+, again.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-25-21, 09:04 AM
PeteHski

Yes. That's the great thing about these old French bikes with Mafac Racer centerpull brakes; they can take some big tires, no problem.
That's a great benefit! I do like those old Peugeots. They are the bikes I used to want when I was a kid in the 80s
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-25-21, 09:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHXxy6CTM40
Maybe, but I understood a gatorskin type of tire helps prevent flats more from sharp objects (thorns, glass, etc). I didn't see anything in that video that really begs for gatorskins -- combo of fairly clean-looking roads and hardpack dirt. That said, not sure how say a 32mm Gatorskin might or might not compare to a different class of 32mm tire, such as a Gravelking or Strada Bianca, etc, or for speed any of the endurance class of road tires, such as Mich Power Endurance, Corsa Controls, Pirellii Velo 4S, etc
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-25-21, 09:39 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Maybe, but I understood a gatorskin type of tire helps prevent flats more from sharp objects (thorns, glass, etc). I didn't see anything in that video that really begs for gatorskins -- combo of fairly clean-looking roads and hardpack dirt. That said, not sure how say a 32mm Gatorskin might or might not compare to a different class of 32mm tire, such as a Gravelking or Strada Bianca, etc, or for speed any of the endurance class of road tires, such as Mich Power Endurance, Corsa Controls, Pirellii Velo 4S, etc
Oh, I agree. Just thought I'd give 'em a try, and the price was right. Given the nature of the event, Strada Biancas would have been the more appropriate choice.
Old 08-25-21, 10:07 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I think if someone is a lighter weight rider they can pull off lower pressures on a road tubeless setup to avoid all the higher pressure road tubeless "pitfalls". Most of the "it didn't seal" or "I lost too much pressure anyway when it sealed" is when road tubeless needs to seal at a higher pressure.

I think if they can resolve a few of those things for "joe public" who can't run super low pressures due to weight, and resolve the whole "get a spare tube in" debacle.............it would be game over for "garden hose" style Gators.

I used them to ride mixed surfaces in France on my cyclocross bike. I wanted flexibility to explore. They worked. But if they got road tubeless right in a 32mm............I'd go with that instead. And that opens up possibilities of faster tires on equal flat protection at that point.
Old 08-25-21, 10:17 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Someone keeps buying then. Someone also kees buying Whoppers.

For anyone who wants a very flat-resistant tire that’s better, I’ll recommend the Michelin Power Protection+, again.
good point, but i doubt these are the same people.
Old 08-25-21, 10:26 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I think if someone is a lighter weight rider they can pull off lower pressures on a road tubeless setup to avoid all the higher pressure road tubeless "pitfalls". Most of the "it didn't seal" or "I lost too much pressure anyway when it sealed" is when road tubeless needs to seal at a higher pressure.

I think if they can resolve a few of those things for "joe public" who can't run super low pressures due to weight, and resolve the whole "get a spare tube in" debacle.............it would be game over for "garden hose" style Gators.
I'm built like a football player but never had any of that trouble with road tubeless.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-25-21, 11:13 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
It's about where you ride and your tolerance for road-side fixes. I loved the vittoria "good to race" tires that came stock on my latest bike. Had like 6 flats over 2 months. GP5k been pretty good, but a couple flats nonetheless. Gators on the "B" bike, no flats in years. Gators on the wife's bike, no phone calls from the road in years. that's a big win. Riding in NJ = dirty roads; riding in tidewater VA area = very clean roads (more roadkill, tho).
Old 08-25-21, 11:07 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
not a racer but a recreational rider, I find I really appreciate Continental Gatorskins (28mm with 60-85psi front/back). The ride is plenty grippy for my needs and the tires seem to last quite a while.

Haven't gotten a flat while riding (though did find an embedded wire while at home that flatted when I pulled it out)

Yes I know there are those that say they ride like garden hoses. I don't get it, I'm just glad that I found a quality tire for my needs.
Well, now is your chance to stock up on the all black version at only $30: Continental Gatorskin Tire - Black Edition | Competitive Cyclist
Old 08-26-21, 12:10 AM
Cyclist0105
Banned.

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

23mm Gatorskins are OK light touring
Old 08-26-21, 05:23 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by burnthesheep

I used them to ride mixed surfaces in France on my cyclocross bike. I wanted flexibility to explore. They worked. But if they got road tubeless right in a 32mm............I'd go with that instead. And that opens up possibilities of faster tires on equal flat protection at that point.
Try the 32 mm Pirelli Cinturato Velo.
I run them tubeless at around 60-70 psi (175 lb rider) with no issues. You can also run them tubed as they are designed for both setups.
I use these for fast Granfondo events where I don't want to be fixing flats. They are not too far off a race tyre for performance.
Old 08-26-21, 07:29 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
They make fine boots. Highly recommended by Jack Colton and Joan Wilder.
Likes For seypat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.