Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My favorite training ride

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-18-21, 05:58 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts

I reckon most of us have a favorite training ride. Mine is on the Neal Smith trail in Des Moines. It starts in Des Moines and winds north along the Des Moines river. I tend to pick it up just north of the city where the rollers start.

Lately, I've been riding my 1979 Trek 510. It's a full Ishiwata 022, low temp silver brazed frame. I think the late 70 Treks are remarkably well built bikes. The have tough du pont imron paint jobs. And they ride great.This is the build thread on my bike, https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...510-build.html.

I feel lucky having that path near my home. There are never many people on it. It has rollers most of which are gentle but there are 2 10 percent grades. The path has pretty much non-stop curves and rollers. There are plenty of water views. Much of the path is shaded with trees. There are plenty of open areas as well much of which has been restored with native prairie. My pics are crummy but it will give you an idea of the ride. The best part of the ride is taking the cooler out of the car after the ride and getting to the cold chocolate milk and a crisp apple. I figure any day I get to spin some miles on that trail and finish it with a cold chocolate milk is a good day.

Last edited by bikemig; 09-18-21 at 06:27 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 09-18-21, 07:57 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
I have one updated to 9 speed 105. My son has it.

Yours looks nicer.
Old 09-18-21, 08:06 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Awesome! I've got an old Ishiwata 022 frameset and I love it. I bought it "new" in 1989 but it is older than that. My guess is early 1980's, but it could be late 1970's. It was hanging up on the wall of a small bike shop I just happened to stop into while shopping just down the block, and I got it for $100 (with a seatpost thrown in). The shop owner told me it was built in Green Bay, WI. I've compared the specs and dimensions on vintage-trek.com and it seems to match closely with a 510. So maybe Trek contracted out frame building to independent builders around that time? You'd think if it was a custom builder, his/her name would be on it but the only decals are Ishiwata 022. Anyway, the spec sheets say nothing about cable guides, and lug shape, and other stuff so sometimes seeing something is required. Anyway, do you think my bike could be an unmarked Trek 510? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Gonzo Bob; 09-18-21 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-19-21, 06:16 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Gonzo Bob
Awesome! I've got an old Ishiwata 022 frameset and I love it. I bought it "new" in 1989 but it is older than that. My guess is early 1980's, but it could be late 1970's. It was hanging up on the wall of a small bike shop I just happened to stop into while shopping just down the block, and I got it for $100 (with a seatpost thrown in). The shop owner told me it was built in Green Bay, WI. I've compared the specs and dimensions on vintage-trek.com and it seems to match closely with a 510. So maybe Trek contracted out frame building to independent builders around that time? You'd think if it was a custom builder, his/her name would be on it but the only decals are Ishiwata 022. Anyway, the spec sheets say nothing about cable guides, and lug shape, and other stuff so sometimes seeing something is required. Anyway, do you think my bike could be an unmarked Trek 510? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

snip
Nice bike but I doubt it's a Trek 510. The seatstay caps on my 510 are longer and have the word Trek cast into the caps; the fork crown looks different. I'm not surprised though that the geometry and overall look of your bike is similar to a Trek. I imagine anyone building bikes--assuming this is a custom build--in WI would have been influenced by what Trek was selling back in the day.

You can't go wrong with a full Ishiwata 022 frameset. It is very similar to Columbus SL.
Old 09-19-21, 07:24 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I reckon most of us have a favorite training ride. Mine is on the Neal Smith trail in Des Moines. It starts in Des Moines and winds north along the Des Moines river. I tend to pick it up just north of the city where the rollers start.

Lately, I've been riding my 1979 Trek 510. It's a full Ishiwata 022, low temp silver brazed frame. I think the late 70 Treks are remarkably well built bikes. The have tough du pont imron paint jobs. And they ride great.This is the build thread on my bike, https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...510-build.html.

I feel lucky having that path near my home. There are never many people on it. It has rollers most of which are gentle but there are 2 10 percent grades. The path has pretty much non-stop curves and rollers. There are plenty of water views. Much of the path is shaded with trees. There are plenty of open areas as well much of which has been restored with native prairie. My pics are crummy but it will give you an idea of the ride. The best part of the ride is taking the cooler out of the car after the ride and getting to the cold chocolate milk and a crisp apple. I figure any day I get to spin some miles on that trail and finish it with a cold chocolate milk is a good day.

I have nothing to compare to that. It would be my favorite route as well
Old 09-19-21, 04:23 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Lovely route. Makes riding an easy choice. My local trails are a few highly traffic'd miles away. Sometimes you just have to get used to the cars.

I had an '80s Bianchi (Japan) with Ishi022. Was a great rider, and with a tall headtube that made riding in the drops such a joy. It got sold.
But it had to be replaced.
The Batavus Competition (Ishi022) made in Holland has the tall headtube but a short top tube necessitates a looong stem. With an Ergo 9sp triple, it probably gets more miles, as I use it most for a ~17mi (each way) occasional commute.

I would love to acquire a bike with Ishiwata 019. Ideas?

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-19-21 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-19-21, 05:31 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzo Bob
I've got an old Ishiwata 022 frameset and I love it. I bought it "new" in 1989 but it is older than that. My guess is early 1980's, but it could be late 1970's. It was hanging up on the wall of a small bike shop I just happened to stop into while shopping just down the block, and I got it for $100 (with a seatpost thrown in). The shop owner told me it was built in Green Bay, WI. I've compared the specs and dimensions on vintage-trek.com and it seems to match closely with a 510. So maybe Trek contracted out frame building to independent builders around that time? You'd think if it was a custom builder, his/her name would be on it but the only decals are Ishiwata 022. Anyway, the spec sheets say nothing about cable guides, and lug shape, and other stuff so sometimes seeing something is required. Anyway, do you think my bike could be an unmarked Trek 510? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Looks like a decent bike, but it's not a Trek. Much of the Trek product line was built in Waterloo in that period, except for the 4nn series, which were imported from Japan as bare, unpainted frames to be painted and assembled in Waterloo. 5nn and 6nn series frames used Japan-brazed rear triangle and fork subassemblies, with the main frame made in Waterloo, where the rear triangles and forks were matched to the main frames. But all these would have had the TREK name stamped into the seat stay caps.

I'm thinking what you have is a mid-level Japanese frame, which could have come from any of several production houses.
Old 09-19-21, 06:06 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Looks like a decent bike, but it's not a Trek. Much of the Trek product line was built in Waterloo in that period, except for the 4nn series, which were imported from Japan as bare, unpainted frames to be painted and assembled in Waterloo. 5nn and 6nn series frames used Japan-brazed rear triangle and fork subassemblies, with the main frame made in Waterloo, where the rear triangles and forks were matched to the main frames. But all these would have had the TREK name stamped into the seat stay caps.

I'm thinking what you have is a mid-level Japanese frame, which could have come from any of several production houses.
That was in the 80s that the 5nn and 6nn series bikes had rear triangles and forks made in Japan, right? I thought the late 70s bikes that were low temp silver brazed were made in WI?
Old 09-19-21, 06:16 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
That was in the 80s that the 5nn and 6nn series bikes had rear triangles and forks made in Japan, right? I thought the late 70s bikes that were low temp silver brazed were made in WI?
Older 5nn series frames were entirely brazed in Waterloo; later ones, and the 6nn series, used the Japan-built subassemblies. You can tell the difference in most cases (there are, alas, exceptions) by looking at the dropout treatment where it joins the stays or fork blade. If the stay/blade end is domed, it is a Japan-built subassembly. If it is radiused, it is usually Waterloo built. There were some 6nn series frames that used Japan-built subassemblies with radiused ends, though.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-20-21, 11:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Nice looking bike, beautiful route, looks like a great place to enjoy a bicycle ride.
What are you "training" for?
Old 09-20-21, 11:48 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Nice looking bike, beautiful route, looks like a great place to enjoy a bicycle ride.
What are you "training" for?
life . . .

and sometimes an event but that always comes second to life . . .
Old 09-21-21, 09:52 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Mine is this 52 K "Big Lasso" most of it gravel and at the bottom section 8 K of pavement to "let her rip". Almost as flat as a pancake.

And for a bit of extra there is this one

A lot of hills on that to get to K 40 at the south end of Wood Lake (max. 12%),. but the downhills ......max. 14%. Now that's the fun, pedaling the uphills at close to 20 km/h isn't bad either.
I'll do that with my new e-MTB — actually it's a lot like my analog Devinci XC sport with 27.5x2.1" knobby tires — and shoot some Action Cam video now that all the gear is on the "beast".

Total distance 65 K or ~ 40 miles
Likes For OldRailfan: