Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Safety stop in California

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 09-19-21, 04:39 PM
multifrog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Is anyone out there excited about the upcoming safety stop law in California? There's lots of statistical in anecdotal evidence to support this and I I'm really looking forward to the passage of this new. It's been winding its way through the legislature and now awaiting signature from the governor. I feel like stop sign tickets for cyclists and jaywalking tickets for pedestrians are a tool of harassment and do nothing to increase safety in a community. And do nothing to increase safety in a community.
Old 09-19-21, 05:20 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
Not something to be excited about unless it is signed by the Governor. If the AAA and the Highway Patrol have there way it won't become a law. If the Governor does make it a law a few years from now the Highway Patrol will have the right to end it.
Old 09-20-21, 07:08 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I do practice the Idaho Stop method for stop signs, I've even done it in front of cops and I've never been stopped by them. I think the cops (at least in my area) see the logic in this method, especially in contrast to most cyclists that just go thru stop signs, expecting others to stop and wait for them. I haven't read the law recently, but I presume that the proposed California law is written similar to the Idaho Stop law.
Old 09-20-21, 09:03 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Here in Fairfax cops post up on the weekend and nail both group and solo riders, most of whom are weekend-warrior-hard-charger types.
Always gives me a chuckle, but I do shout a warning when I'm out.
Old 09-20-21, 09:10 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by multifrog
Is anyone out there excited about the upcoming safety stop law in California? There's lots of statistical in anecdotal evidence to support this and I I'm really looking forward to the passage of this new. It's been winding its way through the legislature and now awaiting signature from the governor. I feel like stop sign tickets for cyclists and jaywalking tickets for pedestrians are a tool of harassment and do nothing to increase safety in a community. And do nothing to increase safety in a community.
The biggest thing those tickets do is to give b'crats more money to spend.
Old 09-20-21, 09:44 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
If you're a California voter you can sign Calbike's petition for the governor here (assuming you don't catch him while you're waiting for your $350/person tasting menu at the French Laundry):

https://www.calbike.org/bicycle-safety-stop-law/
Old 09-20-21, 11:27 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I've been rolling through stop signs for years and the police have given me a pass. Seems like it's been unofficial policy here (San Diego) already. (I do it safely, slow enough to see if there's any cars or bikes of peds crossing).
Old 09-21-21, 12:40 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
LOL. My CAR very very seldom stops for signs either. My seat belt is never used, except maybe on a snowy highway.
Likes For GamblerGORD53: