Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Smartphone holder for the top tube?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 06-30-18, 09:11 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts

Hi.

Does anyone have recommendation for a top-tube mountable smartphone holder? I see a lot of holders mountable onto the handlebars or the stem, and I see a lot of smartphone cases that can be attached to the top tube, but none that fits my description. I don't want to attach my smartphone on the handlebars or the stem, but I also don't want a protective case. I want to be able to touch my phone directly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-30-18, 09:51 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
The Quad Lock setup should mount on a frame tube, and the face of the phone is accessible as long as you put only the back case on it.
Old 06-30-18, 09:58 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Aubergine
The Quad Lock setup should mount on a frame tube, and the face of the phone is accessible as long as you put only the back case on it.
Thanks! I took a quick look at the Quad Lock. Looks like I'd have to buy their universal adaptor since they don't sell a case for my phone (Pixel 2). I'll ask them (through Amazon) if the adaptor will adhere to my Spigen Rugged Armor case.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 07-01-18, 02:21 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
Thanks! I took a quick look at the Quad Lock. Looks like I'd have to buy their universal adaptor since they don't sell a case for my phone (Pixel 2). I'll ask them (through Amazon) if the adaptor will adhere to my Spigen Rugged Armor case.
I use the quad lock. I also asked them about my case (ballistic) which is slightly curved and has dimples. They said NO because it was NOT perfectly flat and smooth. I went ahead anyway and took my chances. It has adhered very well. In fact I have moved it from case to case over time by purchasing some 3M VHB double sided tape. The quad loc is a good system. They have a competitor (name?) sold on Amazon which is very similar and has some different holders and mounts.
Old 07-01-18, 08:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
I love my Quad Lock. I should have bought it sooner.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-01-18, 10:29 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by zebede
I use the quad lock. I also asked them about my case (ballistic) which is slightly curved and has dimples. They said NO because it was NOT perfectly flat and smooth. I went ahead anyway and took my chances. It has adhered very well. In fact I have moved it from case to case over time by purchasing some 3M VHB double sided tape. The quad loc is a good system. They have a competitor (name?) sold on Amazon which is very similar and has some different holders and mounts.
Originally Posted by noglider
I love my Quad Lock. I should have bought it sooner.
Thanks, guys! I have pretty much decided to try Quick Lock. The only remaining question is, should I actually change my mind and mount my phone on the handlebar/stem? How do you guys have yours set up? If you mount your phone on the handlebar/stem, are you concerned about the shock and vibration that the phone gets?

Thanks again!

Old 07-01-18, 10:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I've had good luck with the Nite Ize Handleband.
Haven't lost a phone yet, but I did have one stolen
(that is, I lost the Handleband, not the phone).

Handleband - Universal Smartphone Bar Mount

I use it on the stem, but I don't see why it woudn't work on a reasonably sized Top Tube.

It is designed to offset slightly, but probably not enough to cause issues with the TT.
Old 07-01-18, 11:07 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I've had good luck with the Nite Ize Handleband.
Haven't lost a phone yet, but I did have one stolen
(that is, I lost the Handleband, not the phone).

Handleband - Universal Smartphone Bar Mount

I use it on the stem, but I don't see why it woudn't work on a reasonably sized Top Tube.

It is designed to offset slightly, but probably not enough to cause issues with the TT.
Thanks! Unfortunately, the rubber band that covers part of the screen would be a blocker for me. I may be able to get around it by adjusting the position of the phone, but I'd rather not have to worry about it. I appreciate your suggestion, though.

Old 07-01-18, 11:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
Thanks! Unfortunately, the rubber band that covers part of the screen would be a blocker for me. I may be able to get around it by adjusting the position of the phone, but I'd rather not have to worry about it. I appreciate your suggestion, though.
I use RideWithGPS a lot for live tracking. It gives 3 lines, and the middle line fits perfectly between the two bands (on my S4 Mini).

Nonetheless, a few details inevitably end up under the bands.

I have tried the less substantial corner mount rubber holders, and the one I had flung my phone onto the street, and I decided that it wasn't worth it.
Old 07-01-18, 11:31 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I use RideWithGPS a lot for live tracking. It gives 3 lines, and the middle line fits perfectly between the two bands (on my S4 Mini).

Nonetheless, a few details inevitably end up under the bands.
I play games like Ingress and Pokémon GO on my smartphone, both of which require access to the entire screen for various operations. Just to be clear, I don't play while moving. :-)

Old 07-02-18, 07:42 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Handle bar and stem

I mount the quadlock on bars and stem. Depends on the bike. It's easy to move from bike to bike. Never had an issue with vibration or shock.

i was concerned with the silicone o-rings holding the base tightly enough to smaller diameter bars. So I wrap the bare bar section with old inner tube strips and use another strip in place of o-rings. It's very secure.
Old 07-02-18, 08:37 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

The stem mount can be used on a handlebar. It's good, but it requires two hands to remove the phone. You can move it fairly easily from bike to bike, but you have to pry the rubber band on and off. And you may need a different size rubber band for each bike. It comes with a few, but they're hard to keep track of.

The Out Front mount is excellent. You need a 3mm allen key, and once it's on, it's as solid as anything. It requires only one hand to remove the phone. For some reason, I don't like it so much for moving from bike to bike. You can use it on a handlebar, but I don't think it works on a stem.

I have one of each.

If there isn't a Quad Lock case for your phone, you can glue a universal adapter to a case you choose.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-02-18, 09:12 AM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I like the Nite Ize. I don't use the phone all that much so it is easy on and off. I have wireless charging so I can't mount anything on the back of my phone. This works when I need it.
Old 07-02-18, 10:23 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zebede
I mount the quadlock on bars and stem. Depends on the bike. It's easy to move from bike to bike. Never had an issue with vibration or shock.

i was concerned with the silicone o-rings holding the base tightly enough to smaller diameter bars. So I wrap the bare bar section with old inner tube strips and use another strip in place of o-rings. It's very secure.
The stem mount can be used on a handlebar. It's good, but it requires two hands to remove the phone. You can move it fairly easily from bike to bike, but you have to pry the rubber band on and off. And you may need a different size rubber band for each bike. It comes with a few, but they're hard to keep track of.

The Out Front mount is excellent. You need a 3mm allen key, and once it's on, it's as solid as anything. It requires only one hand to remove the phone. For some reason, I don't like it so much for moving from bike to bike. You can use it on a handlebar, but I don't think it works on a stem.

If there isn't a Quad Lock case for your phone, you can glue a universal adapter to a case you choose.
Thanks guys. It's good to know that I don't need to worry about shock and vibration.

I'm leaning towards getting the "Out Front" mount as it allows you to position the phone over the stem as well. OTOH, the stem mount doesn't seem to work on a handlebar.

Since they don't make a case for my phone (Pixel 2), I will go for the universal adaptor.

Old 07-03-18, 07:42 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@daihard, the stem mount will work on a handlebar. The Out Front mount might work over a stem, but maybe not in all cases. You should consider the rain case. I think it's called the Shower Cap. I don't have it and think I want it. When it's raining, I put my phone in my pocket. Oh, it might not fit your phone.

Old 07-04-18, 08:25 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

@daihard, the stem mount will work on a handlebar. The Out Front mount might work over a stem, but maybe not in all cases. You should consider the rain case. I think it's called the Shower Cap. I don't have it and think I want it. When it's raining, I put my phone in my pocket. Oh, it might not fit your phone.
The picture on the left right above the video shows the Out Front mount rotated so the phone is placed right over the stem. I like this flexibility. Of course, positioning the Out Front this way means relocating my Cateye bicycle computer somewhere else...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0171AQO...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Old 07-05-18, 02:09 AM
Birdy83

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the QuadLock out front mount with iPhone 5s or iPhone 6 and very happy with it. I use it in landscape mode
The cover for the rain is called the Poncho I think. It is part of the package usually. Good when raining. Can still touch the screen but need more pressure.

It is very robust and the case is quite flat so I can leave it on my phone all the time.
A bit expensive but I definitely recommend.

Patrick
Old 07-17-18, 04:40 PM
dfischer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of what the phone case for the Outfront looks like? In particular the back of it? I'm intrigued, but that seems to be a secret on their website....

Thanks!
D
Old 08-05-18, 01:36 PM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb Topeak RIDECASE MOUNT (WITH 1-1/8" STEM CAP) - ART NO: TC1021

topeak.com/global/de/products/ridecase-replacement-kit/532-ridecase-mount-(with-1-1-8%22-stem-cap)
topeak.com/global/en/products/ridecase

Last edited by angerdan; 08-05-18 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 01:54 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

That looks nice! I'll definitely take a look - especially since I've still been undecided.