Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Licenses for E-Bikes?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Licenses for E-Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-18, 11:38 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. You're clearly and informed and educated rider.

I'm sure yourself and other people in this forum will not get into trouble on an e-bike. But I started this thread to focus on the many people who are the opposite of you. People who arent educated about ebikes or riding in general but still ride them.

Maybe a fruitful discussion would be on what could be on the license test? And who would need to take the test?

Originally Posted by 350htrr
You get to pick the number... IF, you have an E-Assist, with a pressure sensor in the crank or the axel. If you don't then you get the % of assist that the motor puts out on whatever level you have it set to and your input is not considered in any way except for having to rotate the crank, (rotation sensor) you don't actually need to put any "pressure" onto the pedals . Then there is the throttle, you don't even have to pretend to pedal...

On my set up I have 4 levels, level 1=35%, level 2=75%, level 3=150%, level 4=300%, what that means is... When I put in lets say 1lbs or 10lbs of pressure onto the pedals, I will get...
Level 1; 1lbs=0.35lbs of assistance, 10lbs=3.5lbs of assistance up to a max of 6.6lbs of assistance.
Level 2; 1lbs=0.75lbs of assistance, 10lbs=7.5lbs of assistance up to a max of (cant find the number)
Level 3; 1lbs=1.50lbs of assistance, 10lbs=15.0lbs of assistance up to a max of (can't find the number)
Level 4; 1lbs=3.00lbs of assistance, 10lbs=29.5lbs of assistance as that is the max assistance number. I would not get the 30.0lbs...
ALL levels; I MUST put pressure onto pedals to go anywhere... Just like a bicycle... Whenever I ride and am going faster than 32Km/Hr, I am the only motivating force on my bicycle.

Depending on the "type of E-Bike" some of them have so much rotation resistance from the motor that you can't really even pedal them on your own, even when you want to or need to if the battery runs out... On my set up I can, and do, ride my E-Assist bike as a regular bicycle whenever I want...
Old 08-04-18, 11:53 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
I'm sure yourself and other people in this forum will not get into trouble on an e-bike. But I started this thread to focus on the many people who are the opposite of you. People who arent educated about ebikes or riding in general but still ride them.

Maybe a fruitful discussion would be on what could be on the license test? And who would need to take the test?
OK, To try and stay more "on topic" I am actually against, licencing E-Bikes, what I am for, is lowering the assisted speed from 28MPH to 20MPH, the MAX power from 750 watts to 350watts, unless there are medical reasons, and no throttle, unless for medical reasons...
Old 08-04-18, 07:27 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by tn_roadie
People for Bikes, which is an industry funded group, is pushing model legislation across the U.S. It defines three classes of e-bikes. Class 1 is a pedal assist up to 20 MPH, Class 2 is throttle up to 20 MPH, and Class 3 is pedal assist to 28 MPH. It clarifies they are to be treated as bicycles and can use all bike infrastructure, on and off street.

People for Bikes
I believe Washington State has adopted that definition. Now Seattle has just started a pilot program to allow Class-1 and Class-2 e-bikes on some of its popular MUPs. I fully support the program.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 08-05-18, 04:21 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting Article about Dutch E-bikes

https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/87-...years-old.html

Not surprisingly, they are seeing the effects of e-bikes before the US.

Surprisingly, they limit motors to 250w and they top out at 15.5mph.
Old 08-05-18, 05:03 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

The article focuses on the danger that elderly people face while riding an a-bike, rather than the danger e-bikes may or may not cause on other people. As far as I know, the Netherlands doesn't require licensing for operating an e-bike.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 08-05-18, 06:28 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

and.. we should learn from that... Here in N America. I, said 350 watts 20MPH and no throttle, with 7 year's of experience riding an "E-Bike"... and they, they say 250 watts 15.5MPH... With a whole lot more experience then I, They, recognise that regulating the manufacturer, not the operator, is the way to go, for keeping an E-Bike a bicycle...

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-05-18 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 06:36 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

and.. we should learn from that... Here in N America. I, said 350 watts 20MPH and no throttle, with 7 year's of experience riding an "E-Bike"... and they, they say 250 watts 15.5MPH... With a whole lot more experience then I, They, recognise that regulating the manufacturer, not the operator, is the way to go, for keeping an E-Bike a bicycle...
I generally support a 25 km/h (15.5 mph) limit on power assist, though in North America, it may not be adequate for riding with traffic, which you often have to do in order to ride safely. People in the Netherlands don't have the same problem.

Old 08-05-18, 06:51 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by daihard
I generally support a 25 km/h (15.5 mph) limit on power assist, though in North America, it may not be adequate for riding with traffic, which you often have to do in order to ride safely. People in the Netherlands don't have the same problem.
That is 100% true... BUT, what IS, a bicycle... When you start to compete it with cars... The bicycle will loose 100% of the time, unless you are very consciously WANT to ride a bicycle, with a bit of assist, not a moped...
Old 08-05-18, 07:21 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

That is 100% true... BUT, what IS, a bicycle... When you start to compete it with cars... The bicycle will loose 100% of the time, unless you are very consciously WANT to ride a bicycle, with a bit of assist, not a moped...
I understand what you're saying. To me, it's not so much about competing with cars as about being comfortable riding with cars. I feel comfortable riding at 15-20 mph among cars (i.e. while taking the full lane).

Old 08-05-18, 07:37 PM
350htrr

I understand what you're saying. To me, it's not so much about competing with cars as about being comfortable riding with cars. I feel comfortable riding at 15-20 mph among cars (i.e. while taking the full lane).
and, there in lies the overall "fail" eventually of the "E-Bike" as it has been set up here in the N American continent... It has morphed into, A MOPED, in a word, and the same thing will befall it (E-Bikes) as with the MOPED, eventually, things catch up in the regulatory system and... MOPEDS are now licenced/insured vehicles, their reign as a "pretend bicycles" has ended. ... Why not keep the assist low enough, and slow enough, to run "under" the radar so to speak... as was originally INTENDED... sales,.. and more sales... I suspect...

EDIT; there are now 4,000 watt +, E-Bikes out there to buy, and they are actually "legal " because all you needs do is .. flip a switch and it cuts the power down to 750 watts and cuts the power out at 28MPH when you are on a public road... Now, how is that a bicycle..??? I am 100% sure you can't buy one of those in the Netherlands... Legally I mean...

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-05-18 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 07:47 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

and, there in lies the overall "fail" eventually of the "E-Bike" as it has been set up here in the N American continent... It has morphed into, A MOPED, in a word, and the same thing will befall it (E-Bikes) as with the MOPED, eventually, things catch up in the regulatory system and... MOPEDS are now licenced/insured vehicles, their reign as a "pretend bicycles" has ended. ... Why not keep the assist low enough, and slow enough, to run "under" the radar so to speak... as was originally INTENDED... sales,.. and more sales... I suspect...
I think it depends on the environment in which to ride e-bikes, too. In the Netherlands, where people typically ride at an average speed of 12 mph (or less) in safely segregated bike infrastructure, a limit of 15.5 mph will be sufficiently fast. Here, OTOH, people often have to ride faster (15+ mph) in order to ride safely (i.e. not necessarily to compete against cars), which would make a higher power assist limit of, say, 20 mph more adequate. And we're talking about bikes with power assist, which cuts off at the governed speed. For that reason, I can see how Class-3 e-bikes (power assist up to 28 mph) can make the line between bikes and mopeds blurry.

Old 08-05-18, 08:02 PM
350htrr

I think it depends on the environment in which to ride e-bikes, too. In the Netherlands, where people typically ride at an average speed of 12 mph (or less) in safely segregated bike infrastructure, a limit of 15.5 mph will be sufficiently fast. Here, OTOH, people often have to ride faster (15+ mph) in order to ride safely (i.e. not necessarily to compete against cars), which would make a higher power assist limit of, say, 20 mph more adequate. And we're talking about bikes with power assist, which cuts off at the governed speed. For that reason, I can see how Class-3 e-bikes (power assist up to 28 mph) can make the line between bikes and mopeds blurry.
and.. I can see the difference between me pedalling at lets say 250Watts, going all out, and the difference riding a horse at 750Watts doing nothing but staying in the saddle... NOT, the same thing... a vehicle is a vehicle above a certain speed, (meaning a powered vehicle)… Horse powered or human powered is totally different. The main reason this E-bike thing got started was to get more people onto bicycles with a (little bit of help)... NOT MOPEDS... as it seems to have ended up, even tho today they still look like bicycles. IMO. Powered vehicle should need a licence, assisted vehicles should NOT... You know, like wheel chairs...

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-05-18 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 11:32 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
and.. I can see the difference between me pedalling at lets say 250Watts, going all out, and the difference riding a horse at 750Watts doing nothing but staying in the saddle... NOT, the same thing... a vehicle is a vehicle above a certain speed, (meaning a powered vehicle)… Horse powered or human powered is totally different. The main reason this E-bike thing got started was to get more people onto bicycles with a (little bit of help)... NOT MOPEDS... as it seems to have ended up, even tho today they still look like bicycles. IMO. Powered vehicle should need a license, assisted vehicles should NOT... You know, like wheel chairs...
Have you ever noticed that 8 out of 10 people in power chairs aren't actually handicapped, just overweight? Most people that are truly paralyzed or amputee use manual wheel chairs.

The reason we have E-bike is to satisfy our growing insatiable craze for lethargy. Now we have E-bikes? So what are gears for?
Old 08-09-18, 03:06 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Seems to me that this topic was created by someone who doesn't ride an e-bike, or even a bike at all. It's interesting to see the comments though, again, mostly by people who have no e-bike experience.

I'd like to put a point in, here; e-bikes are typically slower than regular bikes.

There's absolutely nothing exceptional about a bicycle doing 20mph (e-bikes are limited to 15.5 here in the UK and EU - including the vinyards of France). So the argument that more people are going out and actively learning how to survive life is flawed.
I recon i'd done more than 20mph by the time i was 7yo on my first geared bike.

What do we licence next, rock climbing shoes?
Old 08-09-18, 04:13 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Seems to me that this topic was created by someone who doesn't ride an e-bike, or even a bike at all. It's interesting to see the comments though, again, mostly by people who have no e-bike experience.

I'd like to put a point in, here; e-bikes are typically slower than regular bikes.

There's absolutely nothing exceptional about a bicycle doing 20mph (e-bikes are limited to 15.5 here in the UK and EU - including the vinyards of France). So the argument that more people are going out and actively learning how to survive life is flawed.
I recon i'd done more than 20mph by the time i was 7yo on my first geared bike.

What do we licence next, rock climbing shoes?
Here in N. America the speed limit can be as high as 28MPH, and the motor can be as much as 750 watts, and throttles are allowed unlike in the E.U. Thus, there is a huge difference in the legal E-Bikes...
Old 08-09-18, 06:07 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Several older and very recent posts keep repeating how it is necessary to have a 20mph top assisted speed for 'keeping up with cars', 'taking the lane' and nonsense like that. 20mph is an easily attainable speed for a motor car in 1st gear, and it is ludicrous to imagine a bicycle is safely riding among traffic at that speed. A bicycle needs time to get to 20mph, a car does not. Few bikes are assisted in any case, I haven't seen one in months, and few cyclists are capable of maintaining 20mph for more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time. Lets get real. Bicycles cannot ride IN traffic safely and most do not. They can ride alongside traffic more or less safely and when doing so do not need to maintain the prevailing traffic speed which in any case is 25mph, in most cities, and 30, 35, 40 and higher on the big arterials some of which are legal for bicycle use. Just a reality check. Carry on.
Old 08-09-18, 07:10 PM
KraneXL

You'd need to maintain at least a constant 30 mph to ride safely in traffic. Personally, I would never ride in traffic because motorist quickly adapt to the expectation of you being able to keep up. Not recognizing that unlike their vehicle, a human being's capacity to maintain that speed quickly declines with time and distance. Especially at the rate of energy expenditure (90-100%) needed to achieve and maintain that speed.
Old 08-11-18, 10:48 AM
tn_roadie

Bikes: Rivendell Ram, Surly LHT, Trek E-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
If this were the case, i.e. all three classes treated the same as unpowered bicycles, then there would be no need to distinguish the three classes. If you look at their proposed legislation, they recommend that by default Class 1&2 are allowed on bike paths and MUPs while Class 3 is not although in both cases the local authorities can pass ordinances reversing the default position. They also propose that Class 3 have a minimum age requirement and a MHL.
The model legislation has already passed in over ten states including California and Tennessee which is about as different as you can get. I am opposed to any restrictions on greenways beyond what is in the bill because I want them to be part of the transportation system and not just an amenity. My city is dealing with the dockless scooters and bike share right now and some of these same issues are about to be debated. I am basically for more two wheeled vehicles in our crappy bike lanes so that it might create more pressure for improvements. Licensing and registering any kind of bike is a slippery slope. Some people want mandatory helmet laws that reduce ridership. That's also over regulation that seems safety based but is actually regressive.
Old 08-11-18, 01:08 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by tn_roadie
Licensing and registering any kind of bike is a slippery slope.
Electric motorcycles are no more "bicycles" than fuel ones of comparable performance, and we require registration for those.

greenways... because I want them to be part of the transportation system and not just an amenity.
This is important, but it's mostly a factor of political will and putting them under a transportation department rather than a parks one. Key issues are things like open hours (especially in the winter when it's dark during most commutes), maintenance, snow clearance, etc.

Last edited by UniChris; 08-11-18 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-11-18, 11:55 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by KraneXL
You'd need to maintain at least a constant 30 mph to ride safely in traffic. Personally, I would never ride in traffic because motorist quickly adapt to the expectation of you being able to keep up. Not recognizing that unlike their vehicle, a human being's capacity to maintain that speed quickly declines with time and distance. Especially at the rate of energy expenditure (90-100%) needed to achieve and maintain that speed.
Unless it's on an Interstate or Freeway you cannot travel at a 'constant' 30mph anywhere. Even in suburban sprawl the traffic lights are less than 1/4 mi. apart and starts and stops are frequent. How 'constant' is that? A bicycle should not be IN traffic in any case. Even if it could accellerate to 30mph a bicycle has no protection for the rider and is a very vulnerable road vehicle without any of the inherent stability and road holding of a motorcycle or the even greater stability and impact protection of a motor vehicle. FRAP if you know what is good for you.
Old 08-12-18, 12:12 AM
Leisesturm

Most passenger sedans have top speeds ~120 mph on level ground. This is partly a byproduct of the excess potential that is left over from the requirement that said vehicle be able to lift its weight plus payload over 6% gradients at a reasonable rate of speed. Even on the Interstate what percent of road users exploit that potential at any one time? What about in town? What percent of urban drivers regularly exceed even 55mph in residential areas? I will agree that it is necessary to limit bicycles to 20mph top assisted speeds when passenger sedans have electronic limiters that prevent them from exceeding posted speeds in urban or residential areas. When we are trying to beat a stale green light to the yellow on our morning commute me and mine can easily get our tandem to 25mph in a few seconds and hold that speed long enough to do plenty of damage to pedestrians or other cyclists or private property. But we do not. Because we aren't crazy or possessed of a death wish. Why do people imagine that because an e-assisted bike can reach a speed of 28 mph, that its rider will, at the first opportunity, ram it into an 85 y.o. pedestrian at speed, killing him instantly? Why do people imagine that requiring the cyclist to have a license will prevent this? Does the requirement for licenses prevent motorists from ... from the things they do?
Old 08-16-18, 10:08 AM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another two articles

These two are about e-scooters, but I think the comments are justified for e-bike rentals as well. The companies just want to make money and are renting these things out to anyone. Interestingly e-scooters are capped at 15mph.

The first article https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/opini...vox/index.html is by a doctor. His point is that many people are riding these who don't have the skills/experience and are really hurting themselves. There is an interesting note by a user who broke her arm. Apparently her car insurance and health insurance refused to pay her bills.

The second one you need to register (but not pay) to see https://www.law.com/therecorder/2018...perfect-storm/ It's interesting because it talks about lawsuits by individuals hit by e-scooters and how cities foot the injury bill.
Old 08-16-18, 04:09 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Most passenger sedans have top speeds ~120 mph on level ground. This is partly a byproduct of the excess potential that is left over from the requirement that said vehicle be able to lift its weight plus payload over 6% gradients at a reasonable rate of speed. Even on the Interstate what percent of road users exploit that potential at any one time? What about in town? What percent of urban drivers regularly exceed even 55mph in residential areas? I will agree that it is necessary to limit bicycles to 20mph top assisted speeds when passenger sedans have electronic limiters that prevent them from exceeding posted speeds in urban or residential areas. When we are trying to beat a stale green light to the yellow on our morning commute me and mine can easily get our tandem to 25mph in a few seconds and hold that speed long enough to do plenty of damage to pedestrians or other cyclists or private property. But we do not. Because we aren't crazy or possessed of a death wish. Why do people imagine that because an e-assisted bike can reach a speed of 28 mph, that its rider will, at the first opportunity, ram it into an 85 y.o. pedestrian at speed, killing him instantly? Why do people imagine that requiring the cyclist to have a license will prevent this? Does the requirement for licenses prevent motorists from ... from the things they do?
License aren't designed to make you a perfect rider/driver. Rather, their purpose is insure that you understand the basics of safely operating these machines, know your responsibilities, and if necessary, to have a way to track and penalize any individuals that violates or ignore those safety standards.

Bikes are 100% human powered. Anything beyond that (with a motor/engine) is something different and should be categorized as such.
Old 08-16-18, 06:12 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by KraneXL
License aren't designed to make you a perfect rider/driver. Rather, their purpose is insure that you understand the basics of safely operating these machines, know your responsibilities, and if necessary, to have a way to track and penalize any individuals that violates or ignore those safety standards.

Bikes are 100% human powered. Anything beyond that (with a motor/engine) is something different and should be categorized as such.
So explain how that will apply to e-bikes. Written tests? Road tests? Really? How many cars are tracked by their licenses after a wreck? Admit it. No one has really thought this through. Just a knee jerk reaction to what looks like some people getting away with something.
Old 08-16-18, 06:26 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
So explain how that will apply to e-bikes. Written tests? Road tests? Really? How many cars are tracked by their licenses after a wreck? Admit it. No one has really thought this through. Just a knee jerk reaction to what looks like some people getting away with something.
In one city there was a test you needed to take before you were allows to bring your bike aboard public transit. The test was to ensure you were aware of safety policies and procedure while in and around transit facilities.

You had to go to one of the main hubs and take the test where they gave you a pass that needed to be displayed and if necessary submitted to security offices for inspection.