Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rude behavior is normal?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Rude behavior is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 03:02 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by canerods
We are fortunate to have an extensive, paved bikeway in our area. Because of that, at this time of year, there’s lots of activity from various users on these public pathways. Question: why is it that most of the rudest people seem to be road bikers geeked-up in their professional equipment and expensive bikes? I realize they’re in their ‘groove’ and perhaps stressing from physical exertion. No one expects waves and smiles, but how much does effort does it take to say “passing on the left” or simply ring a bell when approaching from behind? Can't they realize it’s in there own safety best interests to let people know they’re passing? I’m wondering if these are the same breed of folks who never use signals when entering a freeway or when changing lanes? Is this rude behavior normal or is it just me?
So ... did you get the response you were hoping for?

Old 08-05-18, 07:02 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Meh, even noobies to the forum are allowed to vent if they're upset. I'm ok with the OP and his/her post. Riding certain MUP's at certain times can be frustrating, especially if one is not in the proper frame of mind for the situation. Hopefully the many good points brought up here will help the OP cope with the situation... Or just avoid it.
Old 08-05-18, 07:51 AM
canerods

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 1.9, Fuji Roubaix 1.3, Diamondback Wildwood Trail Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Every multi-use path devolves the same way. Always been that way. Always will be that way. Same in the 1970s in SoCal on the first MUPs I tried. Same now in Texas and probably everywhere else.

I minimize my use of the MUPs since my conditioning and speed have improved. But I do use it for convenience at times. I ride slower, leave plenty of room for pedestrians, and try to be aware of everything around me because many joggers and cyclists wear ear buds and are oblivious to their surroundings, and there will always be wannabe racers trying for personal bests and KOMs on Strava segments that should never be on an MUP -- but there's nothing we can do about that.

I use mirrors to watch for faster cyclists approaching from behind because many -- not most -- do pass without announcing. It's not just roadies on race bikes. There's no particular pattern. I keep my speed down to 15 mph or slower -- much slower when pedestrians are around -- so I expect to be passed by other cyclists.

So get a mirror. I can't turn fully to look over my shoulder due to neck and shoulder injuries, so the mirrors are a must.

I have Mirrycles on my hybrid handlebars -- not fancy or pretty but tough, functional and easy to adjust once set up properly. And I wear Take-A-Look mirrors on my helmet or safety glasses. Like the Mirrycles, the Take-A-Look is the most affordable, utilitarian and functional of the various helmet/eyeglass mirrors. There are many others but it's hard to beat the Take-A-Look. They come in two stem lengths. I have one of each -- the longer stem version is on one helmet; the shorter stem version goes on my clear or sunglass safety glasses. It's easy to swap and adjust, and the clamp holds securely on most glasses, although it can be too heavy and unbalanced on lightweight wire frames.

And to announce myself to pedestrians and cyclists I'm overtaking, I like continuous ringing trail bells. There are three popular models:
Coghlan's Bear Bell -- costs $5, more or less. It's the least loud of the various trail bells, but functional for MUPs.
The Timber Bell -- at $20 probably the best buy. Louder but not unpleasant, a better design than the Coghlan Bear Bell.
CBW Designs Awareness Bell -- Prices start at $40 (it's come down a bit over the past year or so), with additional fees for custom features. These are handcrafted beauties. I'm hoping to justify the cost someday.

All three can be muted for situations where you don't need or want the bell ringing. But continuous ringing awareness bells are the most practical solution I've found for crowded MUPs. Pedestrians and slower cyclists hear me approaching and gradually move over. No drama, startled or angry joggers, and the sound is reminiscent of an ice cream truck -- hard to get angry about that.

Around Christmas, I'll attach strips of jingle bells to my comfort hybrid for casual group rides. They're amusing.
Learning the ins-and-outs of using MUPs is a work in progress for me. I have an "Incredibell" which works pretty well and I also use an eyeglass-style mirror, which helps well. Thanks for the informative and constructive response... always appreciated.
Old 08-05-18, 08:01 AM
canerods

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 1.9, Fuji Roubaix 1.3, Diamondback Wildwood Trail Bike.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I also recommend Take-a-looks ... and that continuous bell is interesting but might drive me even crazier after a while.

I only use the local MUP early in the morning and traffic is exceeding light---I might see six people in six miles, and half will be cyclists coming towards me. Visibility is excellent and one can safely go pretty fast. Max speed is determined by how far off one can spot a dog-walker.

If there were much more traffic I wouldn't ever get on the thing.

Oh, and OP .... Have someone read your own post to you so maybe you can hear it. You might not call it "anger," but the tone is definitely "peeved."

You definitely come off as offended, (and it seems everyone else here got that same vibe) and really … the “rudest” people? Don’t ever get close to New York City.

“How much effort” is a pretty scornful question … “Too lazy or uncaring even to ring a bell, the brutes.”

“Can’t they realize … ?” The ignorant idiots …..

Then you posit that these people don’t use signals while driving, which is actually a much more serious charge …. “Those rudest of all people are probably the ones responsible for all the 40,000 deaths on the road each year.”

Yeah, there is a lot of anger revealed in your post …. Not to mention that this is a forum where bicycle lovers discuss riding bicycles, and your First post, was this one. What made you join a site was the desperate need to vent about all those cyclists who don’t ride the way you wish they did.

I don’t know you, Sir or Madam, and I am not pretending I do. But based on what you actually did as opposed to your later claims …. Yeah, that is an angry post.

Maybe you didn’t mean it that way, and hopefully you can see better how others see you, now. Or maybe you didn’t realize how upset you were by some guy blowing by you on a bike.

In any case …. Apparently there was no collision, so maybe the person who passed you had the situation well in hand and judged that disturbing you was not the best course of action. Maybe this rider saw you holding your line and riding steadily and figured you knew what you were doing and didn’t need someone shouting at you..

I know some car drivers think it is courteous to honk their horns to let me know when they are passing my bike on the road. They don’t realize that I am Well aware of them, and that when they honk, my first instinct is to scan for the emergency---What is going wrong that they have to honk? They think it is a courtesy because they are clueless about riding on the street.

Imagine if cars honked every time they passed another car?

In any case, when on any road where traffic is moving at a wide range of paces, one need to watch the mirrors.

Sorry if I offended you---I hate to offend angry people, never know how they might react (Just kidding.) But you know, it seems I am not the only person who felt a lot of anger and frustration in that post. You can only say “It’s not me, it’s the world” so many times before it isn’t funny any more.

Also … after you have been here a while you will know who to take how seriously. Don’t stress overly about my posts.

By the way … while I might be wearing a jersey, bibs, gloves, and cleated shoes, my bike is not that expensive. Can I still qualify as “one of the rudest people?” I have been trying really hard to make the cut.

Got anything good to say about cycling?
Obviously, I used some terminology that pushed a hot button. Someday before getting too old, I'd like to be able to ride at the level of the Roadie dudes. Even then, I think I'd still give enough warning ahead to avoid getting hurt or hurting someone else. It really is just as simple as that.
Old 08-05-18, 08:20 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I don't get passed that often when I'm biking on the MUP and when I do, I don't care whether they alert me. In fact, I've probably already signaled "slowing" to them when approaching a group of pedestrians, so they know that I already know that they're there.

On the other hand when I'm running on the MUP, or more honestly "jogging", I am passed frequently by bicycles. I have to say, those who pass closely, and with traffic coming or already beside me, are much more bothersome and they're almost never the "roadie dudes". They're more usually someone going relatively slow and on some other type of bike.
Old 08-05-18, 08:37 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

I know some car drivers think it is courteous to honk their horns to let me know when they are passing my bike on the road. They don’t realize that I am Well aware of them, and that when they honk, my first instinct is to scan for the emergency---What is going wrong that they have to honk? They think it is a courtesy because they are clueless about riding on the street.
I've wondered about why some cyclists want other cyclists to warn them on approach but are angry if cars do the same thing. I generally know when either are approaching me from behind. Every once in while I'll be lost in a daydream and won't notice, but in such cases I'm going to be startled whether they call out or not. I figure that just like driving an automobile, it's my responsibility to know what's coming up behind me.
Old 08-05-18, 08:39 AM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the opposite problem with a triathlete on the Suncoast Trail a few months ago. I was riding with a friend and we were side by side. Since the trail isn't overly wide I was keeping an eye out behind us. A "tri guy" was going all out but was still quite a way behind when he yelled out at full volume "On Your Left!!!". So ... at least he gave us a warning.

But generally I have found, as others posting here, that many warnings on a MUP are counterproductive. Walkers overreact and earbudded joggers can't hear me. And riders should be looking behind them anyway, especially when changing their line. For riders I only give a warning if I think they aren't paying attention or are otherwise unpredictable. And I always slow down for the small kids on bicycles. They are very unpredictable.

I don't necessarily see this as rude.
Old 08-05-18, 08:45 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Yes rude behaviour by "cyclists" is normal.

I dont know, guy jumps on a bike, heart starts pumpin, adrenaline flowing, he turns into a real jackweed.
Old 08-05-18, 09:01 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Someday before getting too old, I'd like to be able to ride at the level of the Roadie dudes.
That ship has sailed for me. And that's okay.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-05-18, 12:06 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
this morning there was a TON of traffic on the MUP..
I found myself talking like a NASCAR spotter.. "left side.. left side.. left side.. OK. Clear..."

Last edited by JLDickmon; 08-05-18 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 01:03 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
False. (and if someone isn't a competent enough rider to be passed without warning, maybe they should work on their skills rather than expect the world to accommodate them.)
Not everyone can hear, so it drives me nuts to think that the person in front has some responsibility to react to a bell or callout. It is always the responsibility of the passer to ride safely and pass safely. Period.
Old 08-05-18, 03:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Etiquette can vary worldwide. In India many trucks and buses with blind spots have signs painted on the back telling other drivers to please honk when passing so the truck/bus driver is alerted.

In most of the US that's considered an indication of rudeness or impatience rather than courtesy.

So it's no wonder that some cyclists don't use their bells or call out when passing. They may have received too many negative reactions from startled joggers and slower cyclists. I've experienced that a few times -- walkers who are just oblivious to their surroundings, even when they aren't wearing ear buds, and practically jump out of their skin if I used an ordinary bike bell or called out. So now I approach slowly, just faster than the walker/jogger, and announce myself in a conversational tone and volume, if they didn't hear my trail bell.

I noticed several months ago when I rode my bike to a nearby county seat on a Sunday there was a lot of horn honking. The split second a traffic light turned green the drivers behind the lead car would lean on their horns. That seemed very unusual for rural Texas.

When I was a teenager in the early 1970s first learning to drive I had just moved back to Texas from New York. My granddad took me for driving lessons. I think I may have honked once while passing a slower vehicle, a typical New York habit. My granddad fussed at me. He said it's not only rude but a good way to get shot. So I learned to be patient, especially on two lane rural farm to market roads where there may be slow moving farm and ranch equipment, people on horseback at the roadside, etc.

But those days are gone. It's increasingly dangerous for an actual farm or ranch owner to use the roads that were originally built for them. Too many city folks moving out to buy cheap land in the country, and turning the country into the same kind of place they were hoping to escape.

I also walk a lot in my neighborhood and can see why so many pedestrians prefer to jaywalk -- cross in the middle of the block. It's often safer. When I wait at crosswalks for the pedestrian go light, if another driver waits for me to cross safely, the driver behind them will lean on their horns. Most drivers pay zero attention to crosswalks and will just blast right into pedestrians. There are far more pedestrian deaths than cyclist deaths from reckless and negligent drivers in the US.

It almost makes more sense for cyclists and pedestrians to carry loud air horns and just blast the horns routinely whenever approaching an intersection, just to get the attention of indifferent drivers.
Old 08-05-18, 05:28 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
As a personal rule, I always call out when passing someone in a bike lane or on an MUP, whether it's another person biking or someone on foot. When I complete the pass, I always wave at them or say "Thank you." I've been doing this for about a year. It has worked pretty well.

I don't get bothered by people passing me without warnings nearly as much as by people who pass me very closely. Passing without space is more dangerous than rude.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 08-05-18, 05:41 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Yes rude behaviour by "cyclists" is normal.

I dont know, guy jumps on a bike, heart starts pumpin, adrenaline flowing, he turns into a real jackweed.
Speak for yourself, .... unless you were.
Old 08-05-18, 05:55 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Question: why is it that most of the rudest people seem to be road bikers geeked-up in their professional equipment and expensive bikes?
You have confused Cyclists with "Pathletes":

Definition: Pathlete
/pˈaTHˌlēt/
A narcissist who rides a bicycle at inappropriate speed disregarding the safety of other users on a Multi-Use-Path disguised as an actual Cyclist.
Old 08-05-18, 05:56 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Can't they realize it’s in there own safety best interests to let people know they’re passing?
As has been noted, calling out does not always bring a positive reaction.

Someday before getting too old, I'd like to be able to ride at the level of the Roadie dudes.
Why? If I am a “roadie dude,” I guarantee you can already outride at least one “roadie dude.” I am more of a tortoise.

Even then, I think I'd still give enough warning ahead to avoid getting hurt or hurting someone else. It really is just as simple as that.
I Always overtake safely, whether I call a warning or not,. It really isn’t hard to do. And as far as I can grasp form your post … You were not hurt … . No one was hurt. Let’s not exaggerate.

You were maybe startled, and got upset about it. As was noted above, some people get startled by the warning, some by the overtaking. I can’t win, so I don’t play.

Originally Posted by Aubergine
Not everyone can hear, so it drives me nuts to think that the person in front has some responsibility to react to a bell or callout. It is always the responsibility of the passer to ride safely and pass safely. Period.
Some cannot hear, some choose not to hear, some simply do not listen..

It is indeed the responsibility of the person overtaking to manage it safely.

It is also the responsibility of whoever is using the MUP to be considerate of others, stay right idf slow, keep the dog leash short, not blast music so loudly that the person cannot hear others’ warnings, not stop in the middle of the path to chat ….. But I Know some people are going to do that.

I still Always overtake safely. And I still do Not always call a warning. Almost always …. But as CankleCat does, so do I generally slow just because I never know what the other person is going to do.

Whatever. Everyone get peeved about different things. At the end of the day, if we are still alive and healthy, none of the little stuff matters.
Old 08-05-18, 09:40 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
I expect errant joggers, walkers, and dog walkers when on my local MUPs. If I want to push the speed I have to go out there early in the morning when it isn't crowded, and even then I still have to watch out. The only negatives I've found are the tt team guys who ride at hi-speed with little regard for others (about 2X per year) and any group of females (a 'flock' of females?); they're so concentrated on chit-chatting while riding side-by-side that its a major inconvenience when someone wants to pass.
I'll also call out some of the weekend 'club' groups that insist on staying together. A problem arises when one has a flat, they ALL stop in a random group, blocking the pathway for others.
Old 08-06-18, 12:53 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
You have confused Cyclists with "Pathletes":

Definition: Pathlete
/pˈaTHˌlēt/
A narcissist who rides a bicycle at inappropriate speed disregarding the safety of other users on a Multi-Use-Path disguised as an actual Cyclist.
LOL! Pathlete. That's great. Better than muppets and other variations I've heard.
Old 08-06-18, 05:09 AM
moth54

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Where did you hear any anger? Seriously anger? You are reading much more between the lines than actually exists. It was a simple question, meant to gain some knowledge of standard practices. It was about why MUP rules are observed by some and not by others – and why it's OK at some times and not others. Your opinioned amateurish psychological interpretation of my motives are incorrect. Being new to this forum I'll just leave it at that and finish by saying it was an honest question and was posed with little idea it would be misunderstood as it has been.
Welcome to the forums.

Sounding a bell works best for me, "On your left" was harder to process. I have no idea why.

What someone thinks of my skills is irrelevant, I appreciate the warning.
When people have passed very close to me without warning, I have in the past not known what to say that would encourage compliance instead of defensiveness. (You have encountered a lot of defensiveness in the replies to your question so my concern was well founded.)

Now I just cheerily call out "Heads up" as someone passes me without warning. What am I warning them about? Well, I'm not, I'm putting the thought in their mind that warnings might be appreciated.
Old 08-06-18, 05:40 AM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most road bike riders I know, including myself avoid these type of trails due to the mixed use nature, and a lot of people walking with strollers, kids, etc.
Old 08-06-18, 05:54 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
This is one of the signs on our Cycleway.

It would be really nice if other users would follow the "Keep Left" and "Move Off Path When Stopped" instructions.

Does the farthest on the left emblem mean no Bogans or Westies :-) ?
Old 08-06-18, 05:55 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I’m one of those geeked up roadie’s but I try and avoid MUPs/MUTs when possible. Riding roads is much more predictable even in traffic. While I’m not a daily user I’ve ridden MUPs all across the US at one time or another. I even used them a good bit on my cross country trip. When I rode through Chicago and into Indiana I was probably on 80 miles of MUPs. Passing other users of a MUP is very unpredictable. To me it feels like whoever is using the MUP feels “entitled” to using the path the way they’d like too and you just have to deal with that unpredictability the best way you know how. I’ve had people that I’ve passed appreciate and acknowledge the advance notice. I’ve had many get startled and jump one way or the other........I’ve even had some get irritated at even being passed. Some have told me they got tired of hearing “on your left”.

On a few of the Ride the Rockies they’ve used the MUP’s from Vail to Copper/Breckinridge. I hated it. There are fast and twisty descents and too often I’d get passed by my fellow roadies at unsafe places with no warning. I’m not sure what they were thinking.......

The original question the OP posed was is it rude.....I think to some it might feel rude but from my experience I’d consider It being more “reckless” than anything.
Old 08-06-18, 05:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
Does the farthest on the left emblem mean no Bogans or Westies :-) ?
One could only hope!
Old 08-06-18, 06:01 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot321
Most road bike riders I know, including myself avoid these type of trails due to the mixed use nature, and a lot of people walking with strollers, kids, etc.
I avoid riding on bike paths for the same exact reasons I avoid riding on sidewalks. I think of them really as an extension of the sidewalk. I expect people to be rude to me and lots of bad interactions to occur on the sidewalk, since I don't belong there. It's the freakin' SIDEWALK.
Old 08-06-18, 07:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
I am so waiting for the day when I have to swerve suddenly to avoid a groundhog or similar critter and take out John Q. Racer guy (or gal) who has decided to pass me with less than a foot on a wide open, 10' wide MUP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.