Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Couldn't sleep, felt like writing

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-21, 04:56 PM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts

Hi all,

I am a 24 y o university student from Finland. I learned to ride a bike quite late, maybe at 8 or 9 y o. After that I've ridden bikes to school almost daily, except for a couple of semesters when I studied in schools that had a dorm on campus, and the time of the present pandemic, when everything has been online.

I've mostly ridden all kinds of neglected hand-me-downs, the worst of which I disassembled as a teen to get parts for my ill-fated chopper project

I first got into the mechanical side of bikes as a preteen. I tried to turn my 20" kid's bike into a bmx bike, which seemed like a great idea at the time. The frame, rattle can painted matte black and adorned with Ferrari stickers, still hangs in my parents' garage :S

In my teens, I fell for cruisers and choppers, and even tried to build one from scratch in my middle school metal working class. I spent two semesters worth of craft lessons bending tubes with just a vice, a blowtorch and my hands. In the end, I didn't get anything finished, which is probably for the best, since I had no clue about bicycle geometry.

Quite recently I've developed an interest for vintage bicyclthat, according my gf, has began bordering on manic obsession. (Basically, I feel like I've thought about bike parts some 80% of the time I've spent awake during the last three weeks)

Now, we're running from the lockdown to my parents place, and I'm hauling an 80s Mercier frame and a bunch of hastily purchased components in the train with me. In addition, at the destination I'll have my old (see above) stash of parts and donor bikes, and my parents wish to clear up space in the garage

​​I've grown so tired of Zoom classes and sitting by the screen all day, that a project which involves working with my hands feels most welcome.

I'll probably soon make a thread for my project. Still feeling kind of clueless and unsure if the pieces I've gathered will fit together.

​​​​​​​Most recently, I've been troubling my mind on whether the SunTour V GT Luxe rd I just bought is "too nice" for my first build, a 55 € (+intl shipping) frame... :/ Should I have, instead, gone for a humble aRX, or maybe even a dirt-cheap NIB SunRace EX 555 (Shimano 600 EX GS Arabesque copy, kinda dogging the aesthetic)
​​​​​​
Best Regards
Old 03-28-21, 06:53 PM
vehill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey I definitely feel you on the boredom that comes with online classes! I've been cleaning parts and working on my bike projects whenever I have the time between my classes. It feels nice to work on something tangible. And it sure is easy to obsess over parts, I just started working at my local bike co-op and I am going to have to be careful with the parts hording... I only have so much space!

I would like to see pictures of that Mercier, those are cool bikes!
Old 03-28-21, 07:47 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Old 03-30-21, 10:20 AM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by vehill
Hey I definitely feel you on the boredom that comes with online classes! I've been cleaning parts and working on my bike projects whenever I have the time between my classes. It feels nice to work on something tangible. And it sure is easy to obsess over parts, I just started working at my local bike co-op and I am going to have to be careful with the parts hording... I only have so much space!I would like to see pictures of that Mercier, those are cool bikes!
I know right? Glad to hear somebody shares the experience.

I actually made a thread for the Mercier project, and just added some pics
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ter-build.html
Old 04-04-21, 10:07 PM
stabilisersFTW

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi
Old 04-10-21, 06:58 AM
Bike user101