Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommended Dry Lubes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Recommended Dry Lubes

Old 05-20-21, 11:20 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Ditto, R&R Absolute Dry and Gold. Both are very good, slick, low residue. Absolute Dry needs to be reapplied more often. Gold has a tiny bit of oil.

White Lightning drip wax lubes left a lot of waxy snot boogers on my drivetrain.
I heard the same for Squirt. Do those waxy snot boogers affect performance (either directly or as evidence that the lubricant did not get into the rollers) or do they just look kind of bad?
Old 05-20-21, 11:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I heard the same for Squirt. Do those waxy snot boogers affect performance (either directly or as evidence that the lubricant did not get into the rollers) or do they just look kind of bad?
The waxy clogs around the RD pulleys from White Lightning drip waxes made pedaling feel sluggish. That cleared up as soon as I cleaned the entire drivetrain. I didn't even notice the clogs for awhile, but I felt the sluggishness, like a brake pad was dragging. It was like the difference between old school pulleys with sintered roller bearings and newer sealed bearing pulleys -- it's only a few watts but you can feel it.
Old 05-20-21, 11:44 PM
Doomrider74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Ive just bought a bottle of Squirt but having just discovered the Zero Friction site and read their review of it I'm reluctant to use it, due to the amount of chain wear and gunk that accumulates. I just want something thats quiet and keeps the chain and block relatively clean.
Old 05-21-21, 12:04 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

The waxy clogs around the RD pulleys from White Lightning drip waxes made pedaling feel sluggish. That cleared up as soon as I cleaned the entire drivetrain. I didn't even notice the clogs for awhile, but I felt the sluggishness, like a brake pad was dragging. It was like the difference between old school pulleys with sintered roller bearings and newer sealed bearing pulleys -- it's only a few watts but you can feel it.
Oh, thanks. I am sticking to Rock N Roll Extreme (Blue) and Boeshield T-9 then. I don't see any cons with these lubes other than (1) must apply in well-ventilated area and (2) must line floor with something to absorb the solvent
Old 05-21-21, 09:12 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
My Absolute Dry arrived! I didn't realize 4oz was so big, but I got two bottles!
Old 05-21-21, 09:28 AM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by WorldIRC
My Absolute Dry arrived! I didn't realize 4oz was so big, but I got two bottles!
Id be interested to know how you get on with it: does it result in a quiet drivetrain, for example. As I said above, I've bought some Squirt but I'm reluctant to use it and may look for an alternative.
Old 05-21-21, 12:45 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by Doomrider74
Id be interested to know how you get on with it: does it result in a quiet drivetrain, for example. As I said above, I've bought some Squirt but I'm reluctant to use it and may look for an alternative.
I will be sure to test this weekend and let you know!
Old 05-21-21, 12:50 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomrider74
Ive just bought a bottle of Squirt but having just discovered the Zero Friction site and read their review of it I'm reluctant to use it, due to the amount of chain wear and gunk that accumulates. I just want something thats quiet and keeps the chain and block relatively clean.
I found that Muc-Off's ''regular'' dry lube is very good for that. As I said a few posts ago, I switched from the regular to the more expensive C3 version of the dry lube, and I don't like it at all. It lasts longer for sure, but it's a lot messier.
Old 05-21-21, 01:31 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by eduskator
I found that Muc-Off's ''regular'' dry lube is very good for that. As I said a few posts ago, I switched from the regular to the more expensive C3 version of the dry lube, and I don't like it at all. It lasts longer for sure, but it's a lot messier.
That's what I'm using at the moment. Its far from quiet, IME.
Old 05-21-21, 01:34 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
The only dry lube I've used is the RnR Absolutely dry and I've been using that since I got my newest bike about a year and a half ago. I'm going on 2700 miles on the original chain and still not at .5% stretch so no complaints. I generally apply every 150 miles or so and still have plenty in the large bottle I purchased. Will likely continue to use it as long as it's available and doesn't get ridiculously expensive.
Old 05-21-21, 02:27 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
The only dry lube I've used is the RnR Absolutely dry and I've been using that since I got my newest bike about a year and a half ago. I'm going on 2700 miles on the original chain and still not at .5% stretch so no complaints. I generally apply every 150 miles or so and still have plenty in the large bottle I purchased. Will likely continue to use it as long as it's available and doesn't get ridiculously expensive.
I think I'll pick up a bottle of that.
Old 05-21-21, 03:15 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I use Smoove which is something like Squirt. I keep the boogers at bay by running the chain around a bunch whilst wiping down the small cogs on the derailleur. This is right after putting the lube on and working it in, but before it dries.

Zero Friction has a long description on how to get the most out of Smoove. It is a hard lube to work all the way into the chain but once it is there it is awesome. I don't use their method per se, I just re-apply it frequently and in a good quantity (and, wipe off the cogs to keep the boogers from forming). Unless you get a lot of dirt in the chain don't clean it, just put more lube on... layering is they key to getting enough lube to the rollers.
Old 05-21-21, 03:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Is Squirt basically a reincarnation of the decade-or-more ago popular Pedro's Ice Wax?
Old 05-21-21, 05:53 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Is Squirt basically a reincarnation of the decade-or-more ago popular Pedro's Ice Wax?
Not sure about that, but Squirt itself has been around for a long time. I've had good results with it over a number of years, but now moved on to the latest and greatest in wax based drip-ons (Silca SS).
Old 05-21-21, 10:13 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I've been using the Muc Off Hydrodynamic. I really want to like this lube. I keep giving it chance after chance. Instead all I seem to be getting is messy drive train after messy drive train...
Old 05-21-21, 10:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Oh, thanks. I am sticking to Rock N Roll Extreme (Blue) and Boeshield T-9 then. I don't see any cons with these lubes other than (1) must apply in well-ventilated area and (2) must line floor with something to absorb the solvent
Boeshield T-9 is good too, I used that on one bike for about a year. And I've used it to slick up old cables and pivot points in derailleurs. It seems to be comparable to Rock 'n' Roll Gold in performance, although I'm not sure Boeshield uses naphtha as a carrier -- you can really smell the naphtha in Rock 'n' Roll lubes. I still apply those lubes indoors but I use a needle dropper to carefully apply single droplets at a time.

That's not how RnR recommends applying their lubes but it works for me. They recommend basically drenching the chains in their lubes, to both clean and lube the chains by replacing old lubes via the naphtha washing out old lubes and leaving behind PTFE (with Absolute Dry) or PTFE plus a little light oil (Gold).

The only bike I still use with Park CL-1 is a hybrid that's my all weather and errand bike. It's tenacious stuff and seems to get better during and after a rain, so it doesn't wash out easily. But in dry weather on gritty chipseal and gravel it picks up gunky debris, like any wet lube.
Old 05-21-21, 10:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Boeshield T-9 is good too, I used that on one bike for about a year. And I've used it to slick up old cables and pivot points in derailleurs. It seems to be comparable to Rock 'n' Roll Gold in performance, although I'm not sure Boeshield uses naphtha as a carrier -- you can really smell the naphtha in Rock 'n' Roll lubes. I still apply those lubes indoors but I use a needle dropper to carefully apply single droplets at a time.
How do you apply Boeshield T-9 on cables? Maybe I need a needle dropper too? Best is I can switch between Boeshield T-9 and Rock N Roll without deep cleaning the chain with no ill effects.

That's not how RnR recommends applying their lubes but it works for me. They recommend basically drenching the chains in their lubes, to both clean and lube the chains by replacing old lubes via the naphtha washing out old lubes and leaving behind PTFE (with Absolute Dry) or PTFE plus a little light oil (Gold).
The Rock N Roll recommended method makes a huge mess. I am not quite as judicious as you; I hold the bottle so that I can drip two drops on each roller, and most of it drips off anyway. I think that is sufficient rinsing action.

The only bike I still use with Park CL-1 is a hybrid that's my all weather and errand bike. It's tenacious stuff and seems to get better during and after a rain, so it doesn't wash out easily. But in dry weather on gritty chipseal and gravel it picks up gunky debris, like any wet lube.
I try not to do too much maintenance on my hybrid. It is only for riding around the neighborhood with my son. Maybe when he gets faster ...

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 05-21-21 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-21-21, 11:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

How do you apply Boeshield T-9 on cables? Maybe I need a needle dropper too? Best is I can switch between Boeshield T-9 and Rock N Roll without deep cleaning the chain with no ill effects.
Yup, needle dropper with Boeshield. Works great to slick up old cables on bikes I'm too lazy to re-cable, replacing cables and housings for awhile. Helped with my 1990s bikes with galvanized cables -- those things get fuzzy and gritty with age. Eventually I did re-cable those bikes though.

Regarding the Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry and Gold, I use those lubes more generously the first application. After that I just apply a droplet every few inches along the chain, and repeat that process a couple of times a week. I figure that eventually distributes the lube reasonably evenly. Seems to work. Only time I've heard any chain noise was after being caught in a downpour. Those light lubes don't hold up well in really wet conditions, but are great for our mostly dry weather and gritty roads.
Old 05-22-21, 06:15 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Squirt is all I use for dry weather bikes.
Old 05-22-21, 08:06 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
I go through a 16oz, bottle annually because I use it on all my bikes(6 in rotation), even though it is designed for road use(clean/dry condition). It works well for desert mountain biking, but it needs frequent application.
Old 05-22-21, 09:34 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I've been using the Muc Off Hydrodynamic. I really want to like this lube. I keep giving it chance after chance. Instead all I seem to be getting is messy drive train after messy drive train...
I usually like Muc-off products, but this stuff gets an absolute slating on the Zero Friction test website. AFAIK these guys are impartial and very thorough (obsessively so!) in their testing. Just to be clear I have never used this stuff myself (having read this review!), but your experience seems to line up with this review.

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/w.../12/MucOff.pdf
Old 05-22-21, 03:30 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
I use Smoove which is something like Squirt. I keep the boogers at bay by running the chain around a bunch whilst wiping down the small cogs on the derailleur. This is right after putting the lube on and working it in, but before it dries.

Zero Friction has a long description on how to get the most out of Smoove. It is a hard lube to work all the way into the chain but once it is there it is awesome. I don't use their method per se, I just re-apply it frequently and in a good quantity (and, wipe off the cogs to keep the boogers from forming). Unless you get a lot of dirt in the chain don't clean it, just put more lube on... layering is they key to getting enough lube to the rollers.
Zero Friction's process sounds too involved. No Squirt, Smoove, or any other wax emulsion chain lubricants for me. Though I now understand why the reviews see to be all over the place.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 05-22-21 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Correct autocorrect typo.
Old 05-22-21, 03:51 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
Been using the MucOff ceramics both dry and wet. Like others here, I like the dry, keeps things quiet for a good time. But if you don't wipe it down so often, It accumulates some good dirt. Love their scents though! lol
My R&R Absolute Dry arrived the other day so testing that out next rides.
Old 05-22-21, 05:28 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Been using the MucOff ceramics both dry and wet. Like others here, I like the dry, keeps things quiet for a good time. But if you don't wipe it down so often, It accumulates some good dirt. Love their scents though! lol
My R&R Absolute Dry arrived the other day so testing that out next rides.
Don't forget to mention the fluorescence. My bottle of C3 Ceramic dry even came with a stupid UV LED keychain so you can "see" whether you have applied enough / correctly.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-22-21, 05:51 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Just completed my first application of the Absolute Dry. Per the instructions, I was generous as it acts as a cleaner. It picked up lots of nickel shavings (I assume from the chain) and other crap. Now its nice and dry and sitting overnight before I take it out tomorrow.
Likes For WorldIRC:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.