Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Lightweight Square Taper BB

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Lightweight Square Taper BB

Old 12-23-18, 10:40 AM
1speed4me

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seamuis

one of the main issues with using a vintage crank. This is why I chose the dura ace 7400, because the 7400 bb’s are still plentiful. You are correct that this crank is ISO not JIS. Both the road double and the track single, are 144bcd. The track used a 109mm spindle and the road used a rather odd 113.5mm spindle. 125 seems way too long and is certainly not the original spindle length. Any 68mm asymmetrical ISO 109mm spindle should be perfect for setting it up as a single speed or fixed. For maintaining clearence for and inner chainring and an outer bash guard as you have yours setup, a 68mm asymmetrical 111 or 112mm ISO spindle should be what you want. I just have no idea how a 125mm spindle came to be used. My DA 7400 crank uses the original asymmetrical 112mm spindle. Setup as a singlespeed I have a chainline at the outer position of 46mm and 41 at the inner chainring position. With a 111 or 112 mm spindle you should end up with similar at the outer and inner positions.

most 70s and 80s higher end square taper cranksets used similar spindle lengths. Typically 109mm for a track and 112-113 for a road double. Only use I could see for 125 would be for a touring triple setup.
Ok, I’ll see if my LBS will let me try out a generic BB with a 112ish spindle and see where the chainring lands... after the holidays Thanks seamuis!
Old 12-23-18, 11:50 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,392 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by 1speed4me
I can't mock it up. The BB is JIS, the Super Mighty cranks are ISO. If I tried to bolt it up it would ruin the crank
The taper is the same for both JIS and ISO (2°), but the dimensions differ slightly such that the crank will mount on a different part of the tapered section. It won't ruin the crank unless it bottoms out on the taper or the axle extends past the crank:

If it lands in the middle, as above, then go ahead and check the chainline.
Old 12-23-18, 08:07 PM
1speed4me

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah, I know they have the same taper and will work if you don't gorilla torque the crank down, but I'd just rather not push it. There's time, it's not exactly great riding weather this time of year anyway.

Last edited by 1speed4me; 12-23-18 at 08:07 PM. Reason: whoops
Old 12-23-18, 08:59 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Interesting read in this thread. I have an 81 original Voyageur 11.8 coming soon and enjoyed seeing your take on this bike. I will run it as a full geared machine but think your version is quite good. Love Schwinns as well and find myself snapping them up at a faster rate these days.

Good luck with your search and build. Keep the thread going with the progress.
Old 12-23-18, 11:28 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Having read through this thread, I am puzzled by the bottom bracket length. I have always understood what is needed is a straight chainline. If you have a 120 OLD rear wheel, the chainline will probably be around 43mm. Then the distance from the center of the seatpost to the middle of the chainring would also be 43 mm. I would be surprised if a BB spindle greater than 107 mm would work. Stripped down as yours is I would think it would be around 22 lbs or less, hardly a porker. I think it is a very nice bike. BTW., the late great Sheldon said an ISO crank arm will work fine on a JIS spindle and I have found it so as well, although JIS on ISO spindle not so much.
Old 12-24-18, 04:44 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
J
Originally Posted by 12boy
Having read through this thread, I am puzzled by the bottom bracket length. I have always understood what is needed is a straight chainline. If you have a 120 OLD rear wheel, the chainline will probably be around 43mm. Then the distance from the center of the seatpost to the middle of the chainring would also be 43 mm. I would be surprised if a BB spindle greater than 107 mm would work. Stripped down as yours is I would think it would be around 22 lbs or less, hardly a porker. I think it is a very nice bike. BTW., the late great Sheldon said an ISO crank arm will work fine on a JIS spindle and I have found it so as well, although JIS on ISO spindle not so much.
we all know the taper angle is supposed to be 2 degrees, and that technically they should all mate up just fine. But we’ve also all heard about proprietary tapers used by shimano and campagnolo in the past. In my experience it works MOST of the time. But for me, I once experiemented putting a late 70s campagnolo gran sport crank on a JIS shimano spindle and it never mounted proper. Could have been that taper on the crank was off. (Tourquing down a crank can certainly damage the taper) But it ended up causing the spindle to rust because water got between the crank and the spindle. This caused the crank to get stuck and I ended up damaging the crank trying to remove it. My point here is that with vintage, pre-used cranks, you can’t guarantee that the taper on your crank isn’t damaged, which can cause fitment issues, regardless of the spindle taper you choose. It can be a real crap shoot, basically.

Anyone know if there is a tool that can check the taper on a crankarm for damage?
Old 12-24-18, 08:55 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Guess I've been lucky...put Campy Nouvo Record, Avocet and a 2010 Brompton (Stronglite?) cranks on JIS spindles without problems.
Old 12-26-18, 08:24 PM
1speed4me

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I happened to be driving by Performance Bike today and remembered that they are going out of business and everything was cheap. So I stopped in and found a Shimano UN-55 to test out for only $13. It doesn't specify JIS or ISO, so apparently it is one size fits all (that phrase always instills confidence in me). 113mm length. I don't really like how it feels when torquing the crank down, it just keeps going and going and you can't get a good feel for when enough is enough (I don't have a torque wrench in inch-pounds, either). It feels like I could keep tightening the thing down forever, and in my minds eye the ISO taper on my old crank is just getting smushed to oblivion... Eventually I did stop, removed the bolt to see what I expected, the spindle buried pretty far down and no where near bottoming out on the washer. So it doesn't look like it is tight (at least the fit doesn't look like my old JIS crank and JIS spindle did), and it doesn't feel like it is 100% tight either, but maybe it is, who knows.

Anyway, the 42t chain ring does have more room to the chain stay than my previous setup with a 40t did, but the chain line isn't great. I could use a few more mm's in spindle length to straighten it out. I was hoping to learn a little more from this trial but with the way the crank fit on the spindle I don't feel like I am any closer than I was. Any pearls of wisdom left out there? Thanks again.
Old 12-27-18, 09:12 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

All shimano UN cartridge bb’s are JIS.
Old 12-27-18, 11:43 AM
1speed4me

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seamuis
All shimano UN cartridge bb’s are JIS.
Yep, definitely feels and looks that way. Ohh well, it was worth a shot.
Old 12-27-18, 01:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bb

Originally Posted by seau grateau
I don't know BBs well enough to eyeball the spindle type, but yeah, measure it without the threaded portions to get the spindle length you need. Someone in the mechanics forum could maybe tell you if it's JIS. Or a good bike shop if you have one nearby.
the solid nut fixed on type was on least costly bikes , from Asia, so would be JIS...

a bit more up the price point and the cranks were held on to a hollow spindle with bolt and washer behind it

then came a bolt incorporating the flat washer and its hex socket used an 8mm 'allen' wrench to tighten it .. They work very well I'd go that way...

you can find a socket with an 8mm bit in it , to use a torque wrench to Know crank is on well , by the "how tight" numbers ...
Old 12-27-18, 01:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Fwiw,

I don't recall if Sugino a company used to making JIS cranks used ISO to be like Campagnolo it was copying...

if so it would resemble drawing C in above posting..

Old 12-28-18, 03:23 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I don't recall if Sugino a company used to making JIS cranks used ISO to be like Campagnolo it was copying...

if so it would resemble drawing C in above posting..

Sugino did and still does use ISO. If it’s a Sugino, you can pretty much guarantee it’s ISO, regardless of vintage or type.
Old 12-28-18, 07:10 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Recent production Mighty Comp. Single (I believe Road, too) and the various versions of XD/RD2 are JIS...

And FWIW...Sugino continues to warn that their ISO taper is not compatible with anybody else's, at the risk of loss of warranty
Old 02-02-19, 02:20 PM
1speed4me

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Last week I finally got fed up with trying to figure this out on my own, so I handed it off to Wright Bros. here in Seattle that is owned by an older guy who still rides fixed. He is one of those guys who has forgotten more than I’ll ever know. Best shop I’ve found here. Anyway, he set me up with an Origin8 BB, he had to chase a one cut a few threads in the shell to make everything happy. It’s no top shelf BB but I’m just happy to have the bike up and running again. I really appreciate everyone’s help on here.
Old 02-02-19, 02:21 PM
1speed4me

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Old 02-02-19, 02:22 PM
1speed4me

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Old 02-02-19, 02:23 PM
1speed4me

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Old 06-07-21, 11:25 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Old thread but this may be of interest.

I put a nice, vintage Edco swiss made track crank on my Cannondale Capo. To test for spindle width I have some $ 30 bike shop specials I use to test with.

This set up needed a 118 mm to make it ridable but I was getting a close pass on my left crank arm, about 1.4 mm. I felt my chain line was good right where is was and did not want to go to 122 if I could avoid it.

On a friends advice I shucked out $90 for the Omni Racer Titanium 118 mm spindle BB, very light, (it saved just over 1/4 lb of weight ) and now (as my friend said it would)) the left crank arm rides 2.9 mm off the chainstay

Looking at the machining of the spindle it seems to ride a bit tighter and higher on the taper. Just to be sure I rode it 50 miles, tapped the crank arms in with a wooden block and hammer and retorqued the crank bolts, still the same clearance.

All good here now!
Old 06-07-21, 11:40 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Considering the fact that "Loose Balls Rule" what about custom made titanium balls, cups, and spindle. Sure... Why not... If ya got the bucks...

Sometimes when I take a really good dump I wonder how much weight I am trimming off my next ride... sorry not to be rude.

You can really get carried away with the weight thing and manufacturers are perfectly willing to hipe the latest gram saving component.

Looks like you got the problem solved and by the way... NICE BIKE!!!!!
Old 06-07-21, 03:25 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Like some of us on these forums..I'm coming off a relatively expensive pastime ( Ducati and BMW motorcycling addiction) so good bicycle parts look pretty affordable to me at this point,
, that may fade

The weight thing is another deal, I like light weight things just for the sake of being light. It may make no sense but much of what most of us do makes no sense.

Hey, I'm not talking about my Ducks without tossing out a picture , my 999 Mono in red. This is as good as it gets in Ducatiland (at least I think so), pulling onto the interstate on this thing gets the juices going.

Last edited by bykemike; 06-07-21 at 03:32 PM.
Likes For bykemike:
Old 06-08-21, 03:24 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by bykemike
Hey, I'm not talking about my Ducks without tossing out a picture , my 999 Mono in red.
I rode my buddies 749S for one session at a track day and that bike handled like it was on rails. I've only had Japanese bikes. Last year I decided to find the one bike I always really wanted, a 1st Gen FZ1. Found one with less than 8K miles for $3000. Perfect old man sportbike and I like it more than any bike I've twisted the throttle on. My love for carbs returned, it's butter smooth from idle to redline. FI can be a pain in the ass and you need a $400 power commander to tune it. Still in the top 20 quickest street legal bikes 0-60. Going to have the wheels painted black the next time I need tires.

Old 06-08-21, 04:42 AM
bykemike 

Nice bikes FZ Yamahas, I've never heard of any breakdowns and they still have the look and feel just right. If anyone thinks they know what fast is they may have a new definition of the word after an hour on that FZ. I love the little belly pan on yours, sets it off nicely.

Maybe we need a motorcycle thread! After all , two wheels is two wheels and , with the popularity of electrics, the self powered thing is changing.

As weird as this sounds, I paid more for my Trek Di2 Carbon Domane , used, than I did for my 999 Ducati. (It needed a few things but nothing big, just a little scary to dig into for the average owner)
Old 06-08-21, 03:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,392 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Considering the fact that "Loose Balls Rule" what about custom made titanium balls, cups, and spindle. Sure... Why not... If ya got the bucks...
You used to be able to buy that kind of thing off the shelf, e.g. Zeus 2000 titanium spindle, cups and mounting bolts, aluminum lockring and washers:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
zeus-2000-BB.jpg (144.2 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpeg
Zeus-2000-BB.jpeg (44.5 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 06-08-21 at 03:10 PM.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-17-21, 06:02 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by 1speed4me
Great looking bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.