Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Disney World visit and biking

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-21, 01:34 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts

Planning a family trip for 5 this winter. Me and kids are all big SW fans so going to Disneyworld Galaxy Edge. Kids are teens now. I want to do some biking while I’m there. Not going to take bikes, so thinking of renting some bikes for a day and trying out off-road trails.

Recommendations on bike trails, shops to rent bikes, bike shops?

Also Looking for tips and recommendations on where to stay (off site VRBO), other places to go (food, recreation, beaches).

thanks is advance!
Old 07-10-21, 04:34 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
My only tip is to avoid Orlando, but I know that is not really in play here. I live in Florida and just avoid Orlando and it just improves my disposition.

However, if you feel you must visit, Try David's World Cycle for the bikes. They have shops in the area.

Old 07-10-21, 05:41 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
If you're only visiting why not get a membership in a national gym chain and go to one of their local facilities near the 'Tragic Kingdom' in the early AM to get some bicycle/stair climber/treadmill miles in before a day filled with visiting the parks. You're on vacation, why worry about a bicycle, the roads in an unfamiliar area, Florida traffic, and the Florida weather. You can always use the membership when you get back home.
Old 07-10-21, 05:54 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Originally Posted by skidder
If you're only visiting why not get a membership in a national gym chain and go to one of their local facilities near the 'Tragic Kingdom' in the early AM to get some bicycle/stair climber/treadmill miles in before a day filled with visiting the parks. You're on vacation, why worry about a bicycle, the roads in an unfamiliar area, Florida traffic, and the Florida weather. You can always use the membership when you get back home.
LOL, I don’t go on vacation to somewhere warm in the winter to excersize indoors!
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 07-11-21, 06:40 AM
Toadmeister

Any bike paths off-road in the Orlando area the hive here can recommend?
Old 07-11-21, 06:45 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
My only tip is to avoid Orlando, but I know that is not really in play here. I live in Florida and just avoid Orlando and it just improves my disposition.

However, if you feel you must visit, Try David's World Cycle for the bikes. They have shops in the area.
thanks, looked up David’s World Cycle, will give them a call too.
Old 07-11-21, 10:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Look on RideWithGPS, Strava, GarminConnect, MapMyRide and others to see where people there are cycling. Check both rides that members have shared publicly and routes that they have created and made public. Then look at those rides and routes on the map in satellite view and street view and see what you think.

Some have what they call "heat maps" to show you where the most people are riding. I haven't used them in a while and maybe they are requiring a subscription now. Don't know.

I too have been to Disney World and Orlando quite a bit. I'm not certain I'd want to cycle there either. But my visits were quick and business only with little time for anything else.
Old 07-11-21, 10:39 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Maybe post the question in the Southeast Regional forum?

p.s.: I've driven near Orlando. I can't imagine biking there. Unless you're suicidal.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 07-11-21, 11:00 AM
Grouperdawg

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
There’s a gravel route not too far from Disney around lake Apooka if you have a gravel bike, google lake apopka gravel trail. Bring water
Likes For Grouperdawg:
Old 07-11-21, 11:47 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
We've done WDW in what used to be the off-season (the week after Thanksgiving) when the Altair offspring was younger. The weather is, in my opinion, perfect at that time of year - the humidity is down, it seldom rains, and the temps are in the upper 70's, IIRC. One thing to take in consideration is the amount of walking/standing you will do while at WDW. During one 4 day visit, we logged over 55 miles. The other thing to consider is the park's schedule. I don't know if the attractions you want to see are still ultra-busy, but you might follow the Family Altair plan of attack of "first in, last out" of the parks. We were literally in the front of the pack at rope drop and it seemed like the only people behind us at the end of the day had brooms and hoses. Finally, consider the length of daylight during your planned visit - it may not leave you with much time for daylight riding. My recollection of driving in the area doesn't inspire me to want to ride there.
Likes For Altair 4:
Old 07-11-21, 12:10 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Planning a family trip for 5 this winter. Me and kids are all big SW fans so going to Disneyworld Galaxy Edge. Kids are teens now. I want to do some biking while I’m there. Not going to take bikes, so thinking of renting some bikes for a day and trying out off-road trails.

Recommendations on bike trails, shops to rent bikes, bike shops?

Also Looking for tips and recommendations on where to stay (off site VRBO), other places to go (food, recreation, beaches).

thanks is advance!
Sent you a PM.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 07-11-21, 01:46 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
There are several good trails near Orlando...West Orange trail, South Lake trail, Van Fleet trail (opportunity to see wildlife)plenty of places to ride.
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 07-11-21, 01:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
People enjoy cycling in different areas and some even spend their vacation time to ride in unknown places.
Cycling isnt just exercise too.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-12-21, 07:58 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Maybe post the question in the Southeast Regional forum?

p.s.: I've driven near Orlando. I can't imagine biking there. Unless you're suicidal.
I'm only gonna consider biking trails that are off-road. Crossing a road or two is OK.